• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

DirtRiver said:
Are the Weekend deals different between continents?

In my steam it says that the weekend deals are Velvet Assassin and X3: Terran Conflict

I keep refreshing and it shows a different one each time... X3, Velvet ASsassin, and Men of War.

epmode

gregor7777 said:
Also, and there's no hyperbole here, it has possibly the worst voice acting in a video game...ever. I think that's worth the 7.50 alone.
It's up there with Deux Ex Hong Kong but I've still heard worse.

(the game's awesome)

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Despite the stupid name, I have heard great things about Men of War. And at that price there really isn't any way I can say no. Think I will pick up the X3 pack as well. I have been wanting to play it since reading Frag's thread on it a few months ago.

I'm still playing X3:TC from time to time six months after I first picked it up. It's a huge, monster game with all the fiddling that comes with huge monster games, but if you're willing to put up with it from time to time there is simply NOTHING that really comes close what the game gives you the ability to do.

It's also one of those games where you really get as much as you put into it. If you're playing just to see the next plot sequence or such, you're going to probably not be too captivated by it. If you're playing for the sake of expanding your trading empire and forming a private security fleet that rivals that of the main factions, then you're going to be well-satisfied by what the game offers.

Also, keep in mind that the game basically requires heavy modding after a while so that the interface and features can "keep up" , if you will, with the player's expansion of their empire. You really need the automation stuff and convenience features, without them you'll go mad trying to manage everything later on.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've been toying with getting Men of War for months now, I heard good things but I'm pretty worn out on WW2. For $7.50 though the decision is easy.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
It seems that the patch to Defense Grid has caused the sound to quit working. From reading the Steam forums, it appears to be affecting everyone. Hopefully they get this fixed pretty soon.

Erudite

Don't know if this has been posted yet but,

Dawn of War II is $24.95 (50% off) on Direct2Drive. Steam is the 'DRM' for the game, so it'll be on your Steam list before you can play it.

Dina

Fragamemnon said:
I'm still playing X3:TC from time to time six months after I first picked it up. It's a huge, monster game with all the fiddling that comes with huge monster games, but if you're willing to put up with it from time to time there is simply NOTHING that really comes close what the game gives you the ability to do.

It's also one of those games where you really get as much as you put into it. If you're playing just to see the next plot sequence or such, you're going to probably not be too captivated by it. If you're playing for the sake of expanding your trading empire and forming a private security fleet that rivals that of the main factions, then you're going to be well-satisfied by what the game offers.

Also, keep in mind that the game basically requires heavy modding after a while so that the interface and features can "keep up" , if you will, with the player's expansion of their empire. You really need the automation stuff and convenience features, without them you'll go mad trying to manage everything later on.

For me, X3 was a pretty bad experience because the game is frankly too hard and you don't get any help. You have to figure out everything.

Is this remedied in X3: TC? And can you list some must-have mods?

DirtRiver

webrunner said:
I keep refreshing and it shows a different one each time... X3, Velvet ASsassin, and Men of War.

Yeah the problem was that everyone kept saying Men of War and it wasn't showing it to me but now it does.

Oh man I haven't bought anything from the weekend deals for a long time :( I hope they do one for Civ IV and Crazy Machines 2.0 soon :D

rnwd

Banned
Traced-Velocity said:

Dawn of War II is $24.95 (50% off) on Direct2Drive. Steam is the 'DRM' for the game, so it'll be on your Steam list before you can play it.
Ooh, I enjoyed the demo but was waiting for a deal to jump on this. Cool!

Traced-Velocity said:

How does that work exactly? You download from D2D the first time, and register it with steam?

Polk

gregor7777 said:
How does that work exactly? You download from D2D the first time, and register it with steam?
if you get CD-Key from D2D, then you can just put it into steam. Works with retail version as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tropico Reloaded Now Available
July 24, 2009, 11:30 am - Valve - Product Release
Pick up all of the backstory to the Tropico franchise in one nice little package. Available today worldwide except North America where it drops on July 27th.

Tropico Reloaded is the ultimate game compilation for hobby-dictators and those dreaming of their own Caribbean island. The package contains the original TROPICO, the expansion TROPICO — PARADISE ISLAND and the sequel TROPICO 2 — PIRATE COVE.

Updates to Killing Floor have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Additions

Added 4 new Characters as a purchasable DLC pack available via the Steam Store

Added new animations for the specimens busting down doors

Implemented a faster Quick Heal system

Updated the Door Welded display

Updated Mutator and Map White Lists(see Killing Floor forums at forums.tripwireinteractive.com for more details)

Fixes

Fixed the Chainsaw blade not moving, and sleeves not appearing right on the Chainsaw

Fixed the issue with the player going to an idle animation after firing a weapon, which made the player look stiff

Fixed bug where specimens would stand at a door waiting to bust down a door

Fixed specimens not playing a movement animation after breaking down a door

Fixed Map White List retaining old Pass/Fail status from previous map

Fixed the Hunting Shotgun's unlimited ammo bug

Removed Stats Icon from servers that are currently on a non white listed map

Dina said:
For me, X3 was a pretty bad experience because the game is frankly too hard and you don't get any help. You have to figure out everything.

This is still very much the case. I found some guides on the Egosoft forums that got me up to speed pretty quick the game and it helped out a lot.

Is this remedied in X3: TC? And can you list some must-have mods?

Not really. You're still dropped into the simulation without much in-game guidance. That being said, most of the starts in the game are of very humble origins, and things like fleet management and automated trading/factory complex construction are things that you ease into and don't really dive into very quickly. I don't think that the game was particularly hard to learn when you used the out of game resources on the boards to get your questions answered.

Must-have mods include the Complex Cleaner (so you can build huge factory complexes without destroying your framerate), basically all of Luckie's scripts for automated trading and carrier management, the MARS fire control package, and automated exploration/surveying scripts.

I would say that maybe, at best, the game clicks for maybe 10% or less of the people that give it a chance. It's just one of those games where you really don't want to miss out if it is something that meshes well with the kind of games you like ( hardcore spreadsheet gaming / large empire management and simulation).

Just another note-X3 is also, at its heart, a game of economics and logistics. Yes, eventually you can manage a fully customized fleet of M2 battleships and M1 carriers along with their fighter/bomber complement and proper screens, but you'll spend 10x the time purchasing, outfitting, and then resupplying that fleet (right down to missles and ammo you produce in your own factories!) than you will actually managing it in combat. Most of the time I just zoom around in my M7 command cruiser Getting Stuff Done and just call in the task force as needed.

If you just want a game with spaceships gunning at each other that it's some sort of degenerate console fare or a fighter sim like freespace, go check out Nexus: The Jupiter Incident on Steam. It's cheap too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fragamemnon said:
Just another note-X3 is also, at its heart, a game of economics and logistics. Yes, eventually you can manage a fully customized fleet of M2 battleships and M1 carriers along with their fighter/bomber complement and proper screens, but you'll spend 10x the time purchasing, outfitting, and then resupplying that fleet (right down to missles and ammo you produce in your own factories!) than you will actually managing it in combat. Most of the time I just zoom around in my M7 command cruiser Getting Stuff Done and just call in the task force as needed.
hmmm sounds like a PopCap game; maybe i will try out the demo

AstroLad said:
hmmm sounds like a PopCap game; maybe i will try out the demo

Fun fact-I keep a full array of plush Chuzzles on my desk at home.

I wish X3:TC had an "export all transactions done in the last 30 days to .xls" feature. It's really one of those games where you want a spreadsheet for your spreadsheet sp you can better model total aggregate demand for a given product.

Proc

holy shit at this week...

this weekend I will have bought off steam:

Penumbra Complete
King's Bounty
Men of War

and possibly the sierra adventure games...

steam is on a crazy win streak with me

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone heard any news about how soon the LucasArts games might be on a package sale, and for what price? I'll probably get Fate of Atlantis early anyway, but I'd like to try to pick up some others in a package.

Also, is Men of War not good? If it's the RTS-ish game I'm thinking of, I thought I heard the AI was pretty impressive.

Blizzard said:
Has anyone heard any news about how soon the LucasArts games might be on a package sale, and for what price? I'll probably get Fate of Atlantis early anyway, but I'd like to try to pick up some others in a package.

Also, is Men of War not good? If it's the RTS-ish game I'm thinking of, I thought I heard the AI was pretty impressive.

Men of War IS good. Very good. We just pick on the VA.

Hmm getting kind of intimidated with all this talk of how difficult X3 is, but already bought the complete pack so guess I'm in it for the long haul (downloading now). I'm a little put off also that I will need a bunch of mods to maximize my experience also... not really in the mood to hunt down a bunch of mods. Are they that essential?

Edit: GODDAMNIT. Just was scanning the features of it. Tages 5 activations limit. Fuck. I always make an effort to boycott any game with DRM. I knew that Anno 1404 was a Steam game with 3rd party DRM but I never thought to check other games to see if they have it too. Well I guess I learned my lesson.

MisterAnderson said:
Hmm getting kind of intimidated with all this talk of how difficult X3 is, but already bought the complete pack so guess I'm in it for the long haul (downloading now). I'm a little put off also that I will need a bunch of mods to maximize my experience also... not really in the mood to hunt down a bunch of mods. Are they that essential?

Edit: GODDAMNIT. Just was scanning the features of it. Tages 5 activations limit. Fuck. I always make an effort to boycott any game with DRM. I knew that Anno 1404 was a Steam game with 3rd party DRM but I never thought to check other games to see if they have it too. Well I guess I learned my lesson.

Supposedly they will be removing the DRM come October. Also someone said its the DRM of 5 activations on 5 computers at the same time rather than a total of 5 activations.

Proc

If you have your steam games on a separate drive, you never have to delete them.

I wonder if activations only count when you go to install the game or if it detects new hardware when its already installed...

Well that's good to know (that the DRM is going to be removed soon). But yeah. I noticed there's an X3: Terran Conflict thread started by Frag. Was wondering, should I even bother with X3: Reunion and just skip to Terran Conflict? I guess I figured it was a good value to get both, but after reading a bit it seems that TC has a lot of improvements. I paid for both so in the interest of not wasting my money I'd like to start with Reunion...but if TC has improvements that make it easier to learn or something maybe I should just start there

MisterAnderson said:
Well that's good to know (that the DRM is going to be removed soon). But yeah. I noticed there's an X3: Terran Conflict thread started by Frag. Was wondering, should I even bother with X3: Reunion and just skip to Terran Conflict? I guess I figured it was a good value to get both, but after reading a bit it seems that TC has a lot of improvements. I paid for both so in the interest of not wasting my money I'd like to start with Reunion...but if TC has improvements that make it easier to learn or something maybe I should just start there

I haven't played Reunion (it's on my todo list), but my understanding is that there are some UI features and some ease of use changes in X3:TC over Reunion that make TC a better intro game to the series. I got started with the game using the Humble Trader start in TC and it wasn't THAT hard to understand what I needed to do-the challenge was more finding ways to do those things (trade goods for profit, etc.) on a grander scale. Now I own over a thousand factory installations in sixty or so complexes, have a fast response task force and self-sufficient armament production, and a merchant fleet of over 100 superfrieighters.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a weird question. Is there a way to get the general Steam news popup to come up again? I closed the one that just came up (about the left 4 dead 2 weekend, and 3d minigolf, and the FUEL demo, and something else) and then wanted to read something on it again, and I can't find that collection of news anywhere in the Steam news or website itself...

Random side note, it's funny that searching for "golf" doesn't produce the minigolf game, but searching for "minigolf" does, even though typing in "golf" makes a popup come up with the name of the game in it...

Fragamemnon said:
I haven't played Reunion (it's on my todo list), but my understanding is that there are some UI features and some ease of use changes in X3:TC over Reunion that make TC a better intro game to the series. I got started with the game using the Humble Trader start in TC and it wasn't THAT hard to understand what I needed to do-the challenge was more finding ways to do those things (trade goods for profit, etc.) on a grander scale. Now I own over a thousand factory installations in sixty or so complexes, have a fast response task force and self-sufficient armament production, and a merchant fleet of over 100 superfrieighters.

Is the story interesting enough that I might be concerned as far as playing TC before Reunion? As in is TC a continuation of a story beginning with Reunion? Or is it no big deal. And if you could provide a link to a page that has those mods I'd really appreciate it. I found the Complex Factory one no problem though. Would I still need that for framerates with a (relatively) bleeding edge PC?

MisterAnderson said:
Is the story interesting enough that I might be concerned as far as playing TC before Reunion? As in is TC a continuation of a story beginning with Reunion? Or is it no big deal. And if you could provide a link to a page that has those mods I'd really appreciate it. I found the Complex Factory one no problem though. Would I still need that for framerates with a (relatively) bleeding edge PC?

There's a story in X3:TC but I didn't care for it much, nor is it something that the game ever really dwells on-the game is a simulation and is player driven, not a story-based game that is event driven. Apparently the events in Reunion are important since they explain how the rest of the humans found Earth again, but really it's pretty insignificant in terms of enjoying the game.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690 for all your script needs. I forgot to mention the universal best buy/sell mod earlier, that thing is awesome.

I have a cutting edge PC and a sector with eight complexes and the connections between the complexes will bring it to its knees. Use the factory cleaner and make nice big pretty boxes in space unless you want all operations in that sector to be resolved using out of sector math.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
All you need to know about the story of X3: Reunion is that the evil aliens are called the Khaak and it's pronounced exactly as you'd think.

"Oh man, I got Khaak right on my tail, I can't shake it!" :lol

Draft

gregor7777 said:
And from then on your can download it right from Steam, correct?
FYI: This is confirmed to work, because I just did it.

Couldn't even get shitty ass D2D to accept my credit card/paypal, so I had a friend buy the game for me, put the CD-Key D2D provided into Steam, and now DOW2 is tied to my Steam account and downloading.

Twig

Banned
MisterAnderson said:

But Steam is DRM!

O: O: O:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom