• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Bionic Commando Rearmed is up. Ten bucks. Gonna buy.

The other one is up too but who cares

colinp

Banned
Do they remove games from Steam? Like Civilization 4...? Or would I have access to different games if I am accessing from overseas?

Parham

Banned
colinp said:
Do they remove games from Steam? Like Civilization 4...? Or would I have access to different games if I am accessing from overseas?

Do you have a US account? The Civ 4 steam page is loading for me.

colinp

Banned
azentium said:
Do you have a US account? The Civ 4 steam page is loading for me.

I do have a US account, but I am in Japan and all I see is Civ 4 Warlords but I can't even buy that as "Civilization IV®: Warlords requires the Steam version of Sid Meier's Civilization IV to buy."

Slavik81

Lyphen said:
If they do end up releasing it (KOTOR) on Steam, I hope they also bring out a retail patch to let it run in Vista without jumping through burning hoops. That was one buggy-ass game, even at launch. I'm sure it'd crash consistently with today's graphics drivers.
Yeah, I played it a few years after release and it would crash about once an hour. I had issues with missing textures and people's heads occasionally turning invisible. There's basically no graphical options, notably requiring messing around in the game's files to get widescreen. I'd have called it broken on XP, but if it's worse on Vista... Ugh.

Nevertheless, it was worth about $10, which is I paid for it. Hopefully the Steam pricing is good.

Proc

I definitely should have waited to pick up DoW2. Live and learn.

Contemplating picking up tales of valor. I would pick up the other two but I don't feel right re-buying a game since their patching system is one of the worst out there.

Rur0ni

Company of Heroes: Gold = $14.99
Dawn of War II = $24.99

Dark Stalkers said:
Do I need the steam version of CoH to play Opposing Fronts?
I don't think so. I think you just have to add your retail cdkey to it. Not absolutely certain though since I double dipped.

edit: I stand corrected.

DirtRiver

25 Euros? Now that's a lost opportunity by them I mean, you can buy it way cheaper on G2Play and on regular UK sites (13 euros on Play)

At least COH is 5 euros, if you don't have it yet, go freaking buy it.

Thomper

Disappointing that Dawn of War II is still so pricy on Steam. I can buy it at the store for 20 euro's, and just activate that version on Steam. And I already have all the Company of Heroes-games. Bummer. Great weekend deals, just not for me.
Dynoro said:
Yes unfortunately
No, you don't. I have only Opposing Fronts on Steam, and Company of Heroes itself on DVD-rom. Works perfectly fine. Don't say stuff when you don't know anything about it. Ruroni's right; you can just add your retail key and it'll work fine, other way around as well.

Rur0ni said:
I don't think so. I think you just have to add your retail cdkey to it. Not absolutely certain though since I double dipped.

edit: I stand corrected.

TheExodu5 said:
CoH Gold is sooo worth double-dipping just to avoid having to patch the retail version. My god that patch was painful.

Steam version isn't any better, every time a new patch goes up it has to download the full game again - very annoying.

Dark Stalkers said:
Do I need the steam version of CoH to play Opposing Fronts?

No, check out the game's messageboard on the steam forums. There is an instruction on how to do it, all you have to basically do is adding your retail key to your profile.

Draft

DirtRiver said:
25 Euros? Now that's a lost opportunity by them I mean, you can buy it way cheaper on G2Play and on regular UK sites (13 euros on Play)

At least COH is 5 euros, if you don't have it yet, go freaking buy it.
Every copy of DOW2, no matter where or how you buy it, is the Steam copy.

I bought mine from D2D, but not even. I couldn't get the piece of shit to work, so I had a buddy buy it for me, email me the CD Key, and I put that into Steam and voila, it's like I bought the Steam version.

Thomper said:
No, you don't. I have only Opposing Fronts on Steam, and Company of Heroes itself on DVD-rom. Works perfectly fine. Don't say stuff when you don't know anything about it.
So this means I could buy one of the 3 off of steam and include my keys/login with my account to have the other 2 activated on steam as well? that would make me doubledip too

Dynoro

Thomper said:
No, you don't. I have only Opposing Fronts on Steam, and Company of Heroes itself on DVD-rom. Works perfectly fine. Don't say stuff when you don't know anything about it.
Just going off what happened to me; had CoH retail and bought OF off Steam and couldn't play it - queried Steam support and they just gave me my money back.

Lothars

I will be rebuying company of heroes because I want it on Steam and I will be buying tales of Valor because I've been wanting to play that expansion for a while now but I have everything else but it's a great weekend deal overall just sucks I already own most of it.

Thomper

Caesar III said:
So this means I could buy one of the 3 off of steam and include my keys/login with my account to have the other 2 activated on steam as well? that would make me doubledip too
Dynoro said:
Just going off what happened to me; had CoH retail and bought OF off Steam and couldn't play it - queried Steam support and they just gave me my money back.
Here's me having access to all but the Tales of Valor campaigns in my Steam-copy of Opposing Fronts (no Tales of Valor, haven't bought that one yet, still busy with OF):
http://i28.tinypic.com/ir4xkx.jpg

And here's my list of games I own on Steam, notice that there's no mention of the original Company of Heroes:
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/thomper

So, yes, works perfectly fine for me. Never had any problems with it.

_Angelus_

Banned
Htown said:
Bionic Commando Rearmed is up. Ten bucks. Gonna buy.

The other one is up too but who cares
Your loss because the game is indeed very fun to play.
I'm buying the Steam version after having already enjoyed the game on the 360.

Lothars

Dynoro said:

All you have to do is input your COH cd key into opposing fronts and it should work fine at least that's how I did it.

Mrbob

Oh nice.

Dawn of War platinum edition for me. Too bad there isn't a pack that includes soulstorm. Although I hear that one is more for multi only and I would rather play DoW2.

I might pick up Tales of Valor as well. How did that turn out?

Baha

Legjend said:
I already have Dawn of War II, should I pick up the old ones? If not I'm just gonna get the Company of Heroes gold.

You can get dawn of war + expansion + company of heroes gold for $5 extra.

Baha

Legjend said:
Pretty sure it's $10 extra, I just want to know if it's worth it to get those as well if I already have DoWII

Ah so you're right.

[EDIT] Did they just remove Company of Heroes Complete pack from steam? It was there a second ago for $20...

Macmanus

Legjend said:
Pretty sure it's $10 extra, I just want to know if it's worth it to get those as well if I already have DoWII

I think it is. The two games are different animals. DoW is more traditional base building, but the resource management is dependent on maintaining control of strategic points, which mechanically works out very well.

I never played any of the expansions, but on it's own merits DoW is most certainly worth $10.

Angelus said:
Your loss because the game is indeed very fun to play.
I'm buying the Steam version after having already enjoyed the game on the 360.
It's really fun outside of some of the retarded level design. There's a decent bundle with Rearmed for $45 on Steam, but it's still a bit too much for 2 games you can get on consoles for $15 less.

Zzoram

Draft said:
Every copy of DOW2, no matter where or how you buy it, is the Steam copy.

I bought mine from D2D, but not even. I couldn't get the piece of shit to work, so I had a buddy buy it for me, email me the CD Key, and I put that into Steam and voila, it's like I bought the Steam version.

Except that the piece of sh-- D2D got your money.

Zzoram

Is Dawn of War 1 an RTS with resource and base management? Does it have a good campaign? I'm considering the $15 Dawn of War 1 Platinum Edition.

I don't hate CoH and DoW2 but I don't like them.

If you weren't a fan of COH or DoW2, you probably won't like the original DoW. It's more traditional RTS fare than either of those games, but it did define Relic's current RTS formula and the economic model in the game is really not very robust for an RTS.

I really adore the original DoW, much more than DoW2, but that's mainly because I dig the game's fantastic aesthetic and emphasis on constant harassment and skirmishing.

Zzoram said:
Is Dawn of War 1 an RTS with resource and base management? Does it have a good campaign? I'm considering the $15 Dawn of War 1 Platinum Edition.

I don't hate CoH and DoW2 but I don't like them.
I LOVE DOW1 + the XPs, but DOW2 just doesn't do it for me like the original, so maybe that will be the case with you as well. The campaign of the vanilla game is solid enough, and I found that it was the most enjoyable I've played in the last few years.

Dipswitch

Just bought the Company of Heroes Gold pack. I really gotta stop reading this Steam thread. Every time I do, I see another deal, the wallet comes out and the backlog grows......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom