• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
colinp said:
I do have a US account, but I am in Japan and all I see is Civ 4 Warlords but I can't even buy that as "Civilization IV®: Warlords requires the Steam version of Sid Meier's Civilization IV to buy."

Unfortunately pretty much all of 2K Games' lineup is missing from Steam in Japan. There are also plenty of other games that are only available in the US. I think a lot of the EA stuff is region specific as well. I usually just use a US proxy when I want to use the US store and login to a dummy Steam account to gift my main account.

Slavik81

Should I buy the Dawn of War I + Expansions + Company of Heroes Gold pack, or should I buy Dawn of War II? Both are $24.99 at the moment.

Special Consideration: I don't care at all about online play.

Rur0ni

Slavik81 said:
Should I buy the Dawn of War I + Expansions + Company of Heroes Gold pack, or should I buy Dawn of War II? Both are $24.99 at the moment.

Sounds like the first option has more game then. But I don't have DoWII.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you don't care about online play, then I'd probably go option 1.

DoW2 has a really fun singleplayer campaign, but I'm not so sure it warrants the purchase on it's own. Well, at $25, it definitely does, but you'd probably get more out of the other games. DoW2 shines in coop/online.

Fio

Slavik81 said:

So please buy Dawn of War 2. Its single player campaign (which can be played cooperatively if you want) is brilliant. It's much more like a kick ass action RPG than a RTS. I REALLY enjoyed the single player part of this game, amazing stuff. It's well worth the $25.

VALIS

Zzoram said:
Except that the piece of sh-- D2D got your money.

Who did you learn this bullshit meme from? General GAF hysteria and drama queens? Obviously you didn't come to this conclusion through your own experience.

Unfortunately pretty much all of 2K Games' lineup is missing from Steam in Japan. There are also plenty of other games that are only available in the US. I think a lot of the EA stuff is region specific as well. I usually just use a US proxy when I want to use the US store and login to a dummy Steam account to gift my main account.

I am also currently living in Japan, I am actually going to go to the US soon. If I sign onto my Steam account on an American PC, will the 2K games show up? and if I can buy them, will they then show up on my games list when I return to Japan and sign onto my steam account with my Japanese computer?

My legs are open for you again Steam :(

COH Gold Edition for me please

Dipswitch said:
Just bought the Company of Heroes Gold pack. I really gotta stop reading this Steam thread. Every time I do, I see another deal, the wallet comes out and the backlog grows......

The first time I do on fridays is checking Steam.

Now it's worse cause I check Gamersgate everyday for the daily deals they have. :lol

My backlog is also huge, but I can't resist these sales.

Zzoram

VALIS said:
Who did you learn this bullshit meme from? General GAF hysteria and drama queens? Obviously you didn't come to this conclusion through your own experience.

They charge you to redownload games you already bought. Why reward that?

Baha

Zzoram said:

I couldn't find anything on their site about charging to re-download games or anything in a brief Google search. Can you point me to where they say they charge for re-downloading old purchases? I've considered using D2D before but I would like to learn more before making a purchase.

Zzoram

Baha said:
I couldn't find anything on their site about charging to re-download games or anything in a brief Google search. Can you point me to where they say they charge for re-downloading old purchases? I've considered using D2D before but I would like to learn more before making a purchase.

Hmm they may have changed it. It lists "Download Protection" as free for Dawn of War 2, but I know that they used to charge for it, which is why it is still listed as a separate item.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know the converse question has been asked, but is Tales of Valor worth it on sale for just the single player? Man that game got slammed pretty hard in reviews/impressions (for a Relic game at least).

Zzoram said:
Hmm they may have changed it. It lists "Download Protection" as free for Dawn of War 2, but I know that they used to charge for it, which is why it is still listed as a separate item.
You sure that's not EA's DD you're thinking about? They're the only ones I've ever heard that about. The only thing that sucks about D2D is that there seem to be download limits after which you have to put in a request to them to redownload, which is a pain. But then again, I'm not really sure on that either having only bought one thing off them.

Dina

Zzoram said:
The next time Sid Meier's Pirates! goes on sale, I'll pick it up.

I would advice against this. Worst buy on Steam for me. Cannot fathom why this scored as high as it did.

Zzoram

MaritalWheat said:
You sure that's not EA's DD you're thinking about? They're the only ones I've ever heard that about. The only thing that sucks about D2D is that there seem to be download limits after which you have to put in a request to them to redownload, which is a pain. But then again, I'm not really sure on that either having only bought one thing off them.

I am sure that EA's store wasn't the only one to limit downloads. You just said that D2D limits you until you request more from them, which sounds like a pain, and I'm pretty sure it's because they used to charge for more downloads.

Zachack

Caesar III said:
Is there an Orc campaign in one of those Addons of DoW1?
Not really. Dark Crusade adds a global map game somewhat similar to Shogun: Total War, and in doing so lets you play with any faction and has some story bits associated with each, but not a "real" campaign like vanilla DoW1.
[Pirates is] bad? What is the gameplay like?
Minigame adventure is probably the closest answer, although you're puttering around and trading and whatnot. I found it very addictive at first but it kinda wore out of fun pretty fast compared to other Sid Meier games. Not enough variety or depth of gameplay to be a forever game like Civ.

I definitely think you can get $10 of fun out of it, though.

Do you miss anything by not getting COH Tales of Valor? Do you still get all multiplayer factions?

Do you really miss anything but not getting DOW Soulstorm? Most here say it isn't very good. Do people still play DOW Gold or Dark Crusade online?

Zzoram said:
Why does Capcom think local coop for a PC game is a good idea?
It was already in the console version, they just left it in. Which is good for the few people who have HTPCs and such. It's not like the game doesn't support gamepads.

The question is why did they even bother to take out the 4 player local versus multiplayer?

Well sucks for me since I bought DoW2 a month ago, but I'm totally jumping on the CoH deal. Like others who asked before me, is Tales of Valor worth it or should I just go for the Gold Edition?

Trying to decide if I should just get CoH or go for the Relic Super pack and get DoW 1...

AstroLad said:
I know the converse question has been asked, but is Tales of Valor worth it on sale for just the single player? Man that game got slammed pretty hard in reviews/impressions (for a Relic game at least).

It really isn't. All of the missions are a small squad "creeping" across the map (and it's too easy with the direct fire feature), and I personally don't remember anything interesting about the story or presentation. It's DoW2 with none of the collecting and none of the customization.

droopy

I'm sure this has been mentioned already but,

Tales of Valo(u)r nets you ALL the multiplayer content of the the first two games (maps, factions, units, game types, etc.). What you don't get are the single player campaigns from CoH and Opposing Fronts.

Baha

MisterAnderson said:
Well sucks for me since I bought DoW2 a month ago, but I'm totally jumping on the CoH deal. Like others who asked before me, is Tales of Valor worth it or should I just go for the Gold Edition?

Trying to decide if I should just get CoH or go for the Relic Super pack and get DoW 1...

Go for the Relic Super Pack, both games & their expansions are a bargain at that price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Metal Gear?! said:
Do you really miss anything but not getting DOW Soulstorm? Most here say it isn't very good. Do people still play DOW Gold or Dark Crusade online?
The campaign isn't good, but Soulstorm is the closest DOW came to having balanced multiplayer. You won't find many to play against if you try to play the others online.

Mrbob

videotape said:
It really isn't. All of the missions are a small squad "creeping" across the map (and it's too easy with the direct fire feature), and I personally don't remember anything interesting about the story or presentation. It's DoW2 with none of the collecting and none of the customization.

Ahhh, damn. This is disappointing to read. I don't have any interest in the multi side, but I enjoy the CoH single player campaign. I guess I will pass on it for now.

Just bought the Relic Super Pack. Glad I held off on getting CoH for this deal :D

Quick question... is there any way to change your account name for steam? Back when steam came out I believe it had you put in your email for your account name, and I don't use this email anymore and for some reason it bugs me that my account name is this old ass email I don't use anymore. Not a big deal, but if I could change it I would.

Slavik81

MisterAnderson said:
Just bought the Relic Super Pack. Glad I held off on getting CoH for this deal :D
I too just bought the Relic Super Pack

...though i already owned the original disk version of Company of Heroes. I made an entire thread about how hard it was to update the retail version of the game. And to top it off, the updated version rejected my (valid) CD-key. Now I don't have to worry about any of that.

Proc

I suppose I'll pass on ToV and buy it if I still have excitement for a ww2 campaign after finishing Men of War. Sure is tempting though to have a patched CoH sitting on my hdd for $15.

zoku88

Zzoram said:
I've redownloaded ROTK XI a lot of times. They didn't charge. I think some games DO have a download limit tho (like ROTK, which I ran into.) Supposedly contacting customer service can get it removed, but I haven't tried, since it's annoying, I'm sure.

Full Recovery said:
I have seen the light.

I just created a steam account. Now I just need a gaming pc. :D
You can probably play some of the games w/o an actually gaming pc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I'm really debating Dawn of War II... I would mostly be interested in it for the single player campaign, though...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dawn of War 2 is my favorite Relic game. I really, really like the small scale squad tactics and the very fast pace of the game. Matches usually last about 15-20 minutes and its 20 minutes filled with nothing but full on fighting the entire time. The campaign is also very good, even more so playing co-op.

Anyway, I own CoH and Dawn of War originals so I just picked up the Relic pack. Worth it to get the expansions and a sane method of patching. I also pre-purchased Hearts of Iron 3 and got my free HoI 2 Complete.

Mrbob

Zefah said:
Damn I'm really debating Dawn of War II... I would mostly be interested in it for the single player campaign, though...

Do it.

Campaign is brilliant. It is an action/tactical situation, with no resource management needed. You get new loot and items to beef up your squads, can upgrade their skills, then go into battle and fight. If you play online the campaign is also available in co op. In single player you use up to 4 squads on a map, go online and it is split into two groups of two. Works great. Running through the campaign again right now with a buddy of mine.

Not steam but, downloading Demigod demo on Impulse right now. I read IGN's review a while back and they said it was really good but the online was broken (that was at launch). Been thinking about picking this up for a while but would rather wait for a Steam version, is there any news regarding Demigod coming to steam?

Remy

MisterAnderson said:
Not steam but, downloading Demigod demo on Impulse right now. I read IGN's review a while back and they said it was really good but the online was broken (that was at launch). Been thinking about picking this up for a while but would rather wait for a Steam version, is there any news regarding Demigod coming to steam?

Everything I've ever read points out that Impulse (Stardock's service) is a direct competitor to Steam, and since Stardock has exclusive publishing rights, the chances of this happening are slim to none for the foreseeable future.

I do have one or two GAFfers on my Steam friends list who launch Demigod through Steam, though.

Twig

Banned
Dina said:
I would advice against this. Worst buy on Steam for me. Cannot fathom why this scored as high as it did.
FAIL AND MORE FAIL

It's a great game, don't listen to this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom