• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenks

Banned
Nearly bought Dawn of War 2 on steams sale until i found it £7.50p cheaper on play.com and the retails a steam game anyway:D

Dina

TheOneGuy said:
FAIL AND MORE FAIL

It's a great game, don't listen to this nonsense.

What in that simplistic game is great? Honestly want to know. Knowing Sid Meier's history, I expected something along the lines of RCT or RT or Locomotion. I didn't get any.

Almyn

Is this hearts of iron 3 pre order bonus not available to the UK or something? There is no way for me to pre order it from steam :(

Twig

Banned
Dina said:
What in that simplistic game is great? Honestly want to know. Knowing Sid Meier's history, I expected something along the lines of RCT or RT or Locomotion. I didn't get any.
Simplistic?

Huh.

I mean it's certainly no Civ, but if you think it's simplistic then I don't know what game you were playing.

All that aside, some games just don't click with some people. C'est la vie.

Kawaii

Jesus christ, Company of heroes is hard. I'm getting pounded in the 5th mission on the normal difficulty setting.

Micromanaging the units is hard, i'm used to playin games like Age of empires where you just control groups of units.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kawaii said:
Jesus christ, Company of heroes is hard. I'm getting pounded in the 5th mission on the normal difficulty setting.

Micromanaging the units is hard, i'm used to playin games like Age of empires where you just control groups of units.
It starts out pretty tough but gets a decent bit easier (and adds more variety). Red Ball Express in particular can be a bitch your first two times through. Way I did it early on was to just slowly venture across the map capturing points and defending my earlier points with nests. You just have to be careful not to capture that central point as that triggers the counterattack. I think by the end of it I had like 50 nests and had captured every single point on the map. :lol There are certainly other ways to do it but I enjoyed stomping them and it's pretty straightforward.

Another protip if you aren't using it is to hit pause to micromanage more effectively while you get used to the hotkeys and the like. Not even sure they are all described in the terrible manual:
http://planetcoh.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=12
http://planetcoh.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=11

Good beginner's guide: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=114332

Dina said:
What in that simplistic game is great? Honestly want to know. Knowing Sid Meier's history...
Speaking of his history, you do know that this Pirates! game is a remake of his earlier game of the same name, right? It's not any more or less simplistic then that was. It's not meant to be complex or complicated. I love the game but then again, I loved the original Pirates! way back when.

Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates%21_%281987%29_Coverart.png

Zzoram

Union Carbine said:
Speaking of his history, you do know that this Pirates! game is a remake of his earlier game of the same name, right? It's not any more or less simplistic then that was. It's not meant to be complex or complicated. I love the game but then again, I loved the original Pirates! way back when.

Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates%21_%281987%29_Coverart.png

I'm most interested in it because I have a friend who played the original as a kid and recommended that I try the remake on Steam. I don't really know anything about the depth of gameplay, but I hope that there is some.

Jirotrom said:
this better be good gaf...
You haven't been misled. SP is great, and I decided to give MP another chance after being dissapointed in it at launch and hot damn, I'm in love. Of course, this might all be because I've discovered the key to victory: play Tyranids. :lol

Zzoram said:
I'm most interested in it because I have a friend who played the original as a kid and recommended that I try the remake on Steam. I don't really know anything about the depth of gameplay, but I hope that there is some.
I dunno about depth, at least not in the modern use of the term. Pirates! uses a number of mini-games for some tasks which are simple at best. They won't challenge you.

Pirates! is all about the fun of being a pirate (and/or privateer) in a sandbox of the Spanish Main. There are few over-arching objectives beyond accumulating wealth and prestige. You can raid cities, pirate-hunt, chase Spanish galleons, search for buried treasure, etc. You can collect any of the ships of the era from sloops to war galleons. You have to keep your crew happy (and fed) while you roam the seas.

For me it was and is never about a particular mechanic being deep- it's all about the fun and fancy of playing the pirate fantasy: about tacking your sloop against the wind to out-duel a galleon laden with Inca gold; marching your cut-throat band of... cut-throats overland to sack Cartagena; chasing down Jack Rackham, Piet Heyn, or Henry Morgan to make your reputation.

I loved it years ago and I still love it but, ultimately, your enjoyment of the same might vary.

Won

Jirotrom said:
this better be good gaf...

Worst RTS ever.

MaritalWheat said:
You haven't been misled. SP is great, and I decided to give MP another chance after being dissapointed in it at launch and hot damn, I'm in love. Of course, this might all be because I've discovered the key to victory: play Tyranids. :lol

I saw you yesterday not capping your points. Cap your points! I need that power!

Saerk

Is there a site where I can download the steam games from a direct download link rather than through steams torrent? Torrents are killed at my filter here to ~50 kbs while I can direct download from a solid link at 4 MB/s.

Anyone up for coop DoW2? Probably later tonight, seems like it could be fun. Also where do you download the 'There is Only War" expansion?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
bishopcruz said:
Anyone up for coop DoW2? Probably later tonight, seems like it could be fun. Also where do you download the 'There is Only War" expansion?
DOW2 is a Steam game, so it's automatic. If you're running 1.5, you've got it.

bishopcruz said:
Not sure if tonight, but definitely sometime this week, I've been itching to try the coop. (Live tag=MaritalWheat)
Won said:
I saw you yesterday not capping your points. Cap your points! I need that power!
Shee-iit, called out. Fine, maybe I'll be a little power hungrier next time. Although we still won, and I don't care if it was mostly due to you!
thank you thank you thank you for your godly orks

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That makes me think--are there any good online co-op games on Steam besides DOW2 and L4D? Would like to play something with my brother but he has a pretty ancient setup that can barely play L4D.

AstroLad said:
That makes me think--are there any good online co-op games on Steam besides DOW2 and L4D? Would like to play something with my brother but he has a pretty ancient setup that can barely play L4D.
Trine.
Edit: not online actually, nvmd.

Can somebody please help me find Age of Wonders Shadow Magic? I've looked through every DD store I know and nobody has it except gametap (where you can only play with the subscription plan). Please if anyone knows where I can get my hands on this I would be eternally grateful... I've been searching forever. I just don't want to get gouged on ebay (where it's like 100 bucks). Thank you so much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jirotrom said:
So... does Dawn of War 2 have problems running on windows 7? Its running like ass, the sound is majorly effd up

Not for me... settings are on Ultra and resolution is at 1920x1200. The benchmark tool gave me a minimum FPS of 42. Sound works great. I have only played like three missions of the single player campaign, though.

Jirotrom

Zefah said:
Not for me... settings are on Ultra and resolution is at 1920x1200. The benchmark tool gave me a minimum FPS of 42. Sound works great. I have only played like three missions of the single player campaign, though.
It was my soundcard... I have to put it on 32 voices... then it runs great... sucks as it seems as I need a new card. I have the original XFi fatality card

Ignignort

Saerk said:
Is there a site where I can download the steam games from a direct download link rather than through steams torrent? Torrents are killed at my filter here to ~50 kbs while I can direct download from a solid link at 4 MB/s.

Steam content is downloaded from Steam Content servers, it's not provided through torrent.

Perhaps you need to open the Steam content port 27030

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Order of War Demo Now Available
August 3, 2009, 5:08 pm - Valve - General Announcement
The official Order of War Demo is now available on Steam.

This real-time strategy game from Square Enix, Inc. is slated to release this September. Until then, be sure to check out the single-player demo, where you'll experience WWII warfare on an epic, cinematic stage that truly captures the intensity and scale of the battlefield

Saerk

Ignignort said:
Steam content is downloaded from Steam Content servers, it's not provided through torrent.

Perhaps you need to open the Steam content port 27030

I don't have access to the ports on the gateway at work. It isn't so much it being a torrent that would be the problem it has to do with limiting connections, and if steam relies on multiple connections its speed will be limited. I mentioned torrents since they seem to be limited in a similar manner, perhaps not. I was just hoping for a direct download spot for steam game files so I can push them into my steam folder and verify later. It will be of no real matter since I'll bring my backup hdd tomorrow (has my whole steam folder).

aeolist

Banned
There hasn't been a sale for anything I've wanted in months

But then there's not a whole lot on Steam that I would spend any money on and haven't bought...

Burger

Saerk said:
I don't have access to the ports on the gateway at work. It isn't so much it being a torrent that would be the problem it has to do with limiting connections, and if steam relies on multiple connections its speed will be limited. I mentioned torrents since they seem to be limited in a similar manner, perhaps not. I was just hoping for a direct download spot for steam game files so I can push them into my steam folder and verify later. It will be of no real matter since I'll bring my backup hdd tomorrow (has my whole steam folder).

Steam downloads direct from one of many content servers worldwide. These are either operated by Valve, or partners.

You can see a list of content servers here: http://steampowered.com/status/content_servers.html

Jirotrom

So I was just installing this game and updating the patches... takes hours... and it gave me opposing fronts... Are they just giving this game to free to owners of the first release?

Jirotrom said:
So I was just installing this game and updating the patches... takes hours... and it gave me opposing fronts... Are they just giving this game to free to owners of the first release?

No, but because Opposing Fronts is a standalone expansion pack it makes you download the entire thing even if you don't own it so that you can play people online who do have it. Presumably if you only own Opposing Fronts it makes you download the entire of CoH as well so that you can play it online.

EDIT: Although it should be in your 'preloaded' list rather than your 'my games' list - if its in your 'my games' list maybe they are now?

Twig

Banned
epmode said:
Well, it's one of the best arcade racers ever and has a metric fuckton of content.
In my opinion it is the best. Anyone who doesn't own it should after this sale. ):

I'm sooooo glad they finally patched DoW2. I haven't played since the beta ended, so it'll be nice to get back into my space marine glory. FOR THE EMPEROR!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Now on Steam - Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood - Save 25%!
August 4, 2009, 11:20 am - Valve
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood is a cartoon-style third-person shooter that looks like a lot of fun! Fill buckets, earn Steam Achievements and move up the Leader-boards.

Sakari Indie is releasing Foreign Legion for the PC and you can only get it on Steam. To celebrate, save 25% until August 11! That is a lot of buckets of cartoon blood for not a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom