• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Amnesia: Dark Descent -- MB-B25A67A24F6FE6CC - Taken by TuckingFypo. 11 entrants total.

t1397850436z1.png

Good luck everyone, game is much too scary for me to play so I am giving it away instead of keeping it!

I just logged into the Origin client and saw that they don't even directly sell the Mass Effect 2 DLC through the client. So in short, yes, they still use Bioware Space Bux through that shitty Bioware Social website. What in the actual fuck. That set-up is so antiquated but I guess it's more effort to collapse all of the content distribution into one service.

Also I was looking at buying the trilogy for PC and it looks like the DLC included varies from platform to platform?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
:(... Sorry, Man.

Thanks. As I said in a recent OT thread about pet loss, taking him to the vet for that one last time was one of the worst days of my life, but I'm glad I was there for his final moments.

Dodged a bullet there! :lol

Haha, well, I do have a handful of games on Origin, but no pre-orders. I can't say anything EA has released post-Steam abandonment has interested me enough.

Talking about dreams, I had this weird vision about alternative universe where Jasec runs Valve. Not to bore you with details here are main plot points:
All games have all possible regional subs that can be purchased in any region for small additional fee, all games are on steam, old and new, including big N, Sony and Sega games, because they decided it's simpler this way than to suffer Jasec's constant onslaughts, Valve now own Ubisof, and Desmond is their official mascot, also now they release one new AssCreed game in half a year instead of year. All games have soundtracks on steam, and it's no longer matter of choice to release or not dlcs, these are mandatory, at least 3 for every game. Game suggestion now actually works, by suggesting to you games you can afford, judging your past buying habits. F2P games now add to the game count, Counter Strike is now an olympic sport and winter sale is now officially summer sale and vice versa.
Most importantly at every half a year Wheelman is added or removed (if it's currently on) from steam.

I thought, I'd share (><)

If only dreams came true. :(

meh portal 2 wasnt so gud

aka it was kinda laem

:(

The exact opposite, in fact, haha. Getting my drink on. ;)

I hope you're right because that would be a great price. Are you planning on picking it up yourself or waiting for the inevitable bundle?

I'll be in for a four-pack assuming my guesstimation wasn't too far off the mark and there are no region-locks.

Jawmuncher

Brink Complete Pack - Yes or No?

If you REALLY want to play Brink the base game is fine.
It wasn't too bad on 360 but unsure if they fixed the PC issues (more than likely did).
The MP is probably dead online though but there's some enjoyment to be had with friends or even with the bots.

Let me just add I was the guy who liked Aliens Colonial Marines but not Bioshock infinite.

DocSeuss

*goes to GMG*

*finds it down*

*goes to Steam thread*

*finds it knows*

So.

Will this affect Playfire rewards? Just booted up a few games on my computer.

Awesome, Call of Pripyat is so much better optimized than Clear Sky. CS chugged at low settings for me, but I can run CoP on high settings. Getting an Fallout vibe, very bleak, desolate tense landscape.

Terra_Ex

I just logged into the Origin client and saw that they don't even directly sell the Mass Effect 2 DLC through the client. So in short, yes, they still use Bioware Space Bux through that shitty Bioware Social website. What in the actual fuck. That set-up is so antiquated but I guess it's more effort to collapse all of the content distribution into one service.

Also I was looking at buying the trilogy for PC and it looks like the DLC included varies from platform to platform?
This right here is just another reason I stay as far away from EA and Origin as possible. EA has no interest in making a seamless shopping experience or providing a quality serice for the customer, they have no interest in easily enabling the customer to obtain the "complete" version of a given game. Their only interest is gouging as much money as possible from the customer.

The original party line for removing their games from steam was to enable them to "better connect" with their customers or some such rubbish iirc, and apparently you do this by requiring additional account systems, additional points systems (requiring you to jump through various hoops to get anything done). Contrast this with Steam - all DLC for each game is viewable beneath each game, no BioWare-esque spacebucks in sight, its easy for me to see what I own/don't own and simple for me to buy the stuff I don't already have (which consequently means more money spent on Steam).

When I installed Sims 3 from Origin a few months back (obtained via humble bundle so no money for EA) I had a similar experience, Origin downloaded an installer, the installer then wanted to download a patch since asking EA to keep the installer up to date is asking too much it seems. The Sims 3 client then wanted to patch itself, which called into question the actual purpose of the Origin client in the first place. The whole thing (EA's digital operations) is just a collection of systems within other systems, each with tenuous links to the others seemingly just "because" and I have no confidence in, nor desire to navigate through that tangled web.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Daily:

33% off, 16,07€

I haven't played the game since it hit Steam so I'm not sure how much content is there, but the soft-body physics engine is fantastic; if Carmageddon Reincarnation had something similar I'd be in heaven.

First game had those awful Mako segments... pricing seems ok to me
I dunno what awful thing the third game employs but Mako segments are vastly preferable over planet scanning.

It was relaxing driving that janky handling buggy over the space hills of generated planets. Combat with it was pretty fun too, hopping around and landing rocket shots. I thought it broke up the action quite well.

finally got through GMG and got my RTCW... and Sonic Generations, so I can finally play it and prove everyone that all new Sonic games are fucking awful expect Sonic and Shitty Friends racing 2

Aerocrane

Daily:

33% off, 16,07&#8364;

I'm not sure how to feel about games that are still in Early Access having a sale. Of course game development has its costs and discounts are a good way to drive more purchases, but having a temporary discount on a game that is still under development feels just weird. I'm biased and I really don't mind it in Next Car Game's case though as I bought the most expensive backer level directly from Bugbear because I've really enjoyed their previous games and what they have in the Early Access build so far is quite impressive.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
THIEF for sub-$16, yay/nay? How demanding is the game on machines?

Also, how is Doom 3 BFG Edition? Worth getting?

Have never played Doom 3 before but it somewhat interests me.

sprinkles

This the reason I still have not bought the ME2 DLC and as a consequence not played ME3 as well. Bioware points are never on sale and I refuse to buy a shitty DLC for a 4 your old game for 10$.

Jawmuncher

Literally do not understand people who think Mass Effect 2 and 3 are good because "there's no Mako."

Also because the characters are so much worse, but. Yes. Mako.

To be fair the Mako was pretty bad more so it tied with planet exploring.
Since planet exploring was a pointless time sink that didn't justify anything more than busy work. The idea was neat and I wouldn't have minded it being worked upon in ME2 rather than just dumped.

M.Steiner

Had some spare games lying around for a while now so thought I'd start giving some of them away to people here. (Relatively new poster but a long time lurker before I had an account)
Hopefully I've done this right heh:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deponia -- MB-487AF4884BE45062 - Taken by spode. 16 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-0F859A489914AB0F - Taken by Henry Swanson. 3 entrants total.

t1397853091z1.png

Also sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but would it be possible to get an invite to the GAF steam group? - My steam profile here (Thanks in advance!)

Good luck to those who enter.

Aaron D.

Also, how is Doom 3 BFG Edition? Worth getting?

Have never played Doom 3 before but it somewhat interests me.

Doom 3 is great as long as you're not expecting a kinetic frag-fest as found in Doom 1 & 2. D3 is a lot more methodical, atmospheric and creepy. It's got a slower pace, but it's awesome.

Now the problem is that the whiffed the BFG Edition. Someone else can describe it technically better than me, but the long and short of it is that they completely screwed up the lighting systems in the game (baked-in instead of real-time?) making it a major disappointment over the original version.

Pass.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Ugh, it is IMPOSSIBLE trying to load GMG.

Especially the THIEF store page, c'mon GMG. C'mon, son.

Tellaerin

Thankfully, you can buy Bioware points through the Origin client, and you can also buy DLC for the game through the client using those points (click i on the tab to go to the info screen for the game, which also lists all the available DLC for it, with "Buy Now" buttons next to the ones you don't already own.)

The process is still a little more involved than it has to be, and I think Bioware points really need to be phased out altogether, but it's not particularly awkward once you've actually done it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For those getting Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, I heavily suggest this patch.

It makes the game look better, AND fixes a few sections of the game that are glitchy and gamebreaking bugs, and two sections that are trial-and-error sort of deals.

Call of Cthulhu is fantastic, but it had some bugs when released, and as a heads-up, the game is actually quite challenging. However, in my opinion the best Lovecraftian-based video game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom