• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, I guess it's just me.
I always thought it was because the lighting wasn't being applied to the 2D stuff, but it was being applied to the fully rendered grass around Geralt. The horrible thing is all the grass would be that gross color if CDPR had fixed it.

To me the combat rebalance mod was worth more than fixing the grass was. I wonder why that mod doesn't play well with FCR though? I had a bunch of HUD mods running during my playthrough.

I've enjoyed a couple of games of Warlock 2 but I think the jury is still out.

There are just enough negative interface quirks (such as selecting and deselecting units being fiddly) and the somewhat half hearted economy to stop me loving it.

But I've still got that "one more game/one more turn" feeling going, so it can't be too far off.

Tellaerin

You didn't notice the grass magically turning yellow around Geralt's immediate vicinity?

What EE grass looks like:

What it's supposed to look like:

(not my screenshots)

This issue isn't mitigated by any settings or user.ini tweaks. It is what it is, the grass around Geralt turns bright yellow when you're close to it and then dark green again when you get about 2m away. Running through Act 2 is distracting as hell.

This mod was created to fix it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the full combat rebalance now. Even though the creator of the FCR mentioned in his initial release as a mod that he liked playing with. -_-

That looks like the shade of green you get when grass is illuminated by a light source. I'm assuming he's not carrying anything that would shed light on the grass around him, so I guess I can see how that might bother someone. But it's definitely not "bright yellow".

#teamCRT #superiorfidelity

:p

yeah. this is annoying.

Even just left click to select, right click to move would have improved matters (maybe there is an option somewhere). Many a time I'd click on a city to do something and a unit would decide to start heading there from across the universe.

Also the "helper button" or whatever it is called needs to be a bit smarter. To explain what I mean, if research is done the button will show "research complete" and will take you straight to it. But if you have already done this, the button doesn't update so you end up clicking it and having nothing happen.

Just little things like that seem to be hit all too often. Other than that it is a solid game.

You didn't notice the grass magically turning yellow around Geralt's immediate vicinity?

PC gaming confirmed dead.

Man, if I sold my Oculus Rift on ebay(going for 500+) I could easily have enough for a 780ti. Plan on getting one of the new models so it wouldn't really matter but I'd be selling a piece of history :/

molnizzle

I was not trying to imply it was just you, simply that the entire game wasn't terrible from a technical standpoint because of one bug that doesn't seem exceedingly widespread

Not just because of that one bug, no. But also because of the horrendous LOD pop in and inability to use any sort of real AA.

And the grass thing is not a small bug, every single copy of the game looks like that now if it's patched to the latest version on a new save.

What EE grass looks like:
xaUVkH3.jpg

What it's supposed to look like:
G4HjR7Z.jpg

(not my screenshots)

This issue isn't mitigated by any settings or user.ini tweaks. It is what it is, the grass around Geralt turns bright yellow when you're close to it and then dark green again when you get about 2m away. Running through Act 2 is distracting as hell.

This mod was created to fix it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the full combat rebalance now. Even though the creator of the FCR mentioned in his initial release as a mod that he liked playing with. -_-

I'm almost certain it doesn't look like that for me, I will download it tomorrow and check it out, I'm curious now that maybe I just didn't notice it.

Yeah it's at least worth a go on the cheap :) Summer sale should see it go for a good price.

I almost bit during the last sale because it had cards -- but at the end of the day, I thought $16 or whatever was a little too much for me since I'm buried in my backlog.

Thanks for the links. I'm having a hell of a time getting anywhere with this.

It's really not that bad of an install process (it wasn't for me on Win8 at least). If you need a hand, send me a PM or a Steam chat message.

Fuck you Jurassic Park i'm not endorsing shit now.
You wanted to work yesterday and now you won't even start.

It found out about your love of Dino Crisis. Game over, man.

Jawmuncher

You need to shill harder for the game to work again. Endorse more than you've ever endorsed before.

At this point I don't even think it wants more money.

It found out about your love of Dino Crisis. Game over, man.

It must have, I knew it would cause problems with other Dino games down the line.

Got it to work by putting in a DLL file.......So how the hell did it work before?
Just like the extinction of the dinosaurs, it will forever be a mystery.

$500 > history

I'm only half serious

That's the way I'm leaning at the moment. I remember when I sold my Ni No Kuni Wizard's Edition for 400 dollars. Totally crazy.

Edit: Is keeping a graphics card dedicated to physx still a thing? Remember reading about that years ago, just trying to decide if its worth keeping my 4GB670

-MD-

Edit: Is keeping a graphics card dedicated to physx still a thing? Remember reading about that years ago, just trying to decide if its worth keeping my 4GB670

I'm actually curious about this too, I'd like to hold onto my 660ti as a dedicated physx card if I can when I upgrade in a year or 2.

An Oculus Rift just sold on ebay for 610 dollars. Welp, I'm getting a GTX780ti. I am so weak ;-;

I'm actually curious about this too, I'd like to hold onto my 660ti as a dedicated physx card if I can when I upgrade in a year or 2.
Guy in the pc building thread said it's not really useful any more and benchmarks show it doesn't make much difference. Oh well!

Edit: Witcher 2 talk just made me think the Ti should run the game at ubersampling at 60 FPS :O Third playthrough here I come!

I've enjoyed a couple of games of Warlock 2 but I think the jury is still out.

There are just enough negative interface quirks (such as selecting and deselecting units being fiddly) and the somewhat half hearted economy to stop me loving it.

But I've still got that "one more game/one more turn" feeling going, so it can't be too far off.

Even if it is a little rough around the edges it does look mechanically ambitious. There was one video I saw, maybe on the Steam store, where it showed the player using a global spell to cause a volcano to appear in a river. The cooling lava made a land bridge that allowed the player to cross to the a.i.'s base with his army. That looked cool, isn't there more of that in the game?

Age of Wonders 3 is well done but I haven't encountered anything mechanically neat like that. If Endless Legend wasn't coming out on Steam early access so soon I'd probably consider buying Warlock 2 sooner rather than later.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
In a weird way I kind of feel like I'm playing Warcraft 2's campaign when playing Age of Wonder 3's Elven Court campaign. I'm slow and turtle up so I can amass resources and an army because I don't really know what I'm doing but if I throw enough meat into the grinder it will work. I don't know what it is but with Civ I get the balance of economy, research, expanding, developing your empire and army and sort of fail at that with other 4x games. I'm enjoying myself quite a bit but I don't fully get the ebb and flow of how things are supposed to work yet.

The first stage of the Elven Council campaign had you playing as an Elven Rogue, the second stage has you playing as a Draconian Arch Druid...

This horror is the second thing I've been able to engage in diplomatic relations with. The first was a faery village I befriended in the Elven Rogue map, this is a female Goblin Rogue that looks to be in control of a faction aligned with my enemy in this map.

Ah Warcraft 2, I really grew to like that one, especially after playing Warcraft 3.

Also, is the AA option set to off in your game?

Anteater

I got those stupid grass pop in in Witcher 2 too, I was pretty sure I fixed it in act 2 or that I didn't notice it but it happened again with the later area with the huge open field area, I installed all the fixes and pop-in fix and they were still there, so I ended up just ignoring it.

Even if it is a little rough around the edges it does look mechanically ambitious. There was one video I saw, maybe on the Steam store, where it showed the player using a global spell to cause a volcano to appear in a river. The cooling lava made a land bridge that allowed the player to cross to the a.i.'s base with his army. That looked cool, isn't there more of that in the game?

Yeah that is the main hook. You research spells over several turns and then get to unleash them (perhaps over several turns again). There are a lot of spells and hence a huge scope for creating your own tactics.

The thing is I'm not sure how many of those are viable? To get to a powerful spell, you have to research down quite a long tree and personally I wouldn't waste time to cross a river you could get around in other ways.

But maybe that is the game's strength once you get into it. Actually spending that time is the problem, given there are plenty of options with their own good parts and much more polish. Still, I'm glad I've spent at least some time with it and I still feel like I'll go back tonight for another long game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Happy Easter, here's a giveaway. If the key doesn't work, send me a message and I'll fix it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

One Way Heroics -- MB-48D8511775824E56 - Taken by Sarcasm. 15 entrants total.

t1397982159z1.png

Also, is the AA option set to off in your game?

Ha, I never bothered to check out the settings, I just dove into the game but to answer your question, yes, the AA is off. Turns out everything is defaulted to low and medium.

Yeah that is the main hook. You research spells over several turns and then get to unleash them (perhaps over several turns again). There are a lot of spells and hence a huge scope for creating your own tactics.

The thing is I'm not sure how many of those are viable? To get to a powerful spell, you have to research down quite a long tree and personally I wouldn't waste time to cross a river you could get around in other ways.

But maybe that is the game's strength once you get into it. Actually spending that time is the problem, given there are plenty of options with their own strengths. Still, I'm glad I've spent at least some time with it and I still feel like I'll go back tonight for another long game.

So far does it feel like it's worth the 30$?

zkylon

zkylewd
also playing it again reminded what a badass game papers please was

i hope there's more games that follow this style

also this is not really a game you go to day 29 after not playing for months lol i failed like 16 out of 20 passports lol

Grief.exe

also playing it again reminded what a badass game papers please was

i hope there's more games that follow this style

also this is not really a game you go to day 29 after not playing for months lol i failed like 16 out of 20 passports lol

Oh ya, after you have beaten the game you can select a specific day and play differently.

Should make the playfire achievements trivial.

Megasoum

Banned
Sigh....Ubisoft is annoying with all the region locking crap... The only way to get a cheap copy of Watch Dogs right now is through a third party site which means a Uplay key.

Looking at the key market right now, it's actually more expensive to buy the game with keys than directly on steam lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom