• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

yea i mean i'm totally useless at platformers so i die to spikes a lot more often than i should but still

like seriously dude it's humiliating

Do not look at the ranking today then. :)

I was on my way to hell, and somehow, I forgot about the golden door in 4-2 and exited with the wrong exit. So I had to fight Olmec and get the bonus gold for defeating him.

zkylon

zkylewd
I find that hard to believe.
well believe it brother cos i don't lie

Do not look at the ranking today then. :)

I was on my way to hell, and somehow, I forgot about the golden door in 4-2 and exited with the wrong exit. So I had to fight Olmec and get the bonus gold for defeating him.

did you like read a guide or just discovered everything step by step?

i find like playing daily challenge is enough for me but i probably won't make much progress this way

Milamber

So these new GPU cards are my first experience in being a generation behind. Meh. I won't be bothered, so as long as my games play well. I hope, heh.

A GTX 770 will be fine for quite a while, I'm using one too. We will just not be able to hit "Ultra" smoothly in the GFX options for high profile games, if the trend continues with Watch_Dogs.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A GTX 770 will be fine for quite a while, I'm using one too. We will just not be able to hit "Ultra" smoothly in the GFX options for high profile games, if the trend continues with Watch_Dogs.

I hope that trend continues because I want amazing looking games. But at the same time, you and I should be good for at least two years. I just hope I don't get envious enough to upgrade.

Wok

did you like read a guide or just discovered everything step by step?

i find like playing daily challenge is enough for me but i probably won't make much progress this way

I discovered by myself for the first 20-30 hours, and then I have talked with other players and occasionnally read the wiki. There is a lot of info to grasp about your interactions with the ennemies and the traps, and this cannot be totally found online, so you have to experiment by yourself. One goal for you could be to find the black market. You could read about it online and then try to go for it.

zkylon

zkylewd
He probably just streams it from a free site like the majority of the younger generations.
i'd rather not dig deeper on this :/

i'm sorry i brought it up, was only meant as a joke

me and my big mouth

I discovered by myself for the first 20-30 hours, and then I have talked with other players and occasionnally read the wiki. There is a lot of info to grasp about your interactions with the ennemies and the traps, and this cannot be totally found online, so you have to experiment by yourself. One goal for you could be to find the black market. You could read about it online and then try to go for it.
my #1 goal right now is to be able to reliably kill bats without getting hurt lol

mannerbot

i'd rather not dig deeper on this :/

i'm sorry i brought it up, was only meant as a joke

my #1 goal right now is to be able to reliably kill bats without getting hurt lol

Run horizontally so that the bats get closer to level with you, since they descend as they chase you; it's much harder to fight them when they're right above you. Even better if you can lure them into chokepoints or spider webs, of course. Alternatively, you can just throw rocks at them or use a rope (which damages enemies above you). And if you really master the whip, you can fight bats above you with that as well, no problem.

Also, I will take you under my wing and teach you the art of Spelunky if Atraveller gives me a Prey key.

zkylon

zkylewd
right now my main technique is luring them into ground level and then just climb something and jump on them

whip is always too soon or too late lol

mannerbot

right now my main technique is luring them into ground level and then just climb something and jump on them

whip is always too soon or too late lol

There's a learning curve with the whip since there's windup time associated with it, but the sooner you get used to it the better. Being able to whip arrows (from arrowtraps) is huge. Basically, the backswing comes out pretty quick and hits behind and above you, and then the forward swing takes a moment to come out but it's active for a pretty long time. Just keep those in mind and maybe swing earlier than you think you have to when you're learning the timing. And you can move while you're attacking, so if you're just staying on the ground the fact that the whip comes out with a delay shouldn't matter much against bats since you can just walk backwards.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Finished Cryostasis on Steam. It's no longer on sale on Steam, however, REALLY odd thing, the game literally was updated a week ago, like with a patch that fixed a few things, despite the fact the game is no longer sold on Steam and hasn't been for a year and a half now. Like, even the developers commented on what the patch fixed on the forums. So maybe they plan to bring it back to Steam at some point?

But anyways, some impressions.

b6698397feda246a510629229b73de78ba60a6fb.jpg

This is legitimately a pretty good horror game. Like, it has good scares, a pretty good (but maybe bit confusing) story, great atmosphere, actually pretty good pacing, some surprises and stand-out moments throughout, and it actually looks pretty good too. The only real flaw on it was that there were a few moments where the game dragged a small bit (but not too long, often the game would introduce a new element before certain elements became too tired), and the performance of the game (it was badly optimized).

Cryostasis has one of those plotlines that is hard to talk about, as the plot seems very minimalistic at the beginning, but then there's a lot more of it later in, but to talk about it would be spoilers. But to explain the barebone minimalistic version of the plot, you play as a man named Alexander, a meteorologist who is coming to board a ship, but you find the ship to be in total disarray. You quickly find that a lot of the crew is dead, and those who are not are monsters. But those who are dead you can reach into their memories and change the past, to save them from their fates.

This game understands something integral which it pulls off in spades; In horror, stand-out moments are important. And this game has stand-out moments in spades. From a section where you ride a boat through a dark river as something from the water latches onto the side of the boat and tries to take it down which you must fight-off, to following weird music in the air down a creepy series of corridors with shadows occasionally running down the halls... The two I mention barely touch the tip of the iceberg (pun unintended), but there are so many moments where the game does something actually really cool, or creepy, or something you didn't predict.

There is SO much I want to say about the game, but this is one of those games I think is best experience knowing as little about it as possible. I am legitimately saddened now this game is no longer on Steam, it has the makings of a pretty great niche game. It's a pretty good example of a game that I want to talk about it, but I don't as I feel it might ruin it for those who don't want to know about it.

So I'll say the game is worth checking out if you like horror games, hopefully it comes back to Steam and they fix the optimization and performance issues. It is a game completely worth playing and finishing. I'd even go as far to say this is one of the better horror games I've played on the Steam platform, and one of the biggest surprise hits for me I've played this year.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's a learning curve with the whip since there's windup time associated with it, but the sooner you get used to it the better. Being able to whip arrows (from arrowtraps) is huge. Basically, the backswing comes out pretty quick and hits behind and above you, and then the forward swing takes a moment to come out but it's active for a pretty long time. Just keep those in mind and maybe swing earlier than you think you have to when you're learning the timing. And you can move while you're attacking, so if you're just staying on the ground the fact that the whip comes out with a delay shouldn't matter much against bats since you can just walk backwards.
hmm i'm not sure i understood all that but thanks lol

i know from watching patrick from giantbomb play the game that the whip's hitbox is a bit higher than you so you can like kill bats on top of your head but it never goes well for me heh

i also need to learn not to freak out when i see the giant spiders lol

Goddamn AC3, why you gotta go back to default outfit for Conner in ingame cutscenes?
yea, this bothered me so much i ended up using only the default outfit

mannerbot

hmm i'm not sure i understood all that but thanks lol

i know from watching patrick from giantbomb play the game that the whip's hitbox is a bit higher than you so you can like kill bats on top of your head but it never goes well for me heh

i also need to learn not to freak out when i see the giant spiders lol

Throw a bomb into the web, ezpz. Alternatively, identify situations where you don't need to fight enemies at all and just run past.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Cryostasis on Steam. It's no longer on sale on Steam, however, REALLY odd thing, the game literally was updated a week ago, like with a patch that fixed a few things, despite the fact the game is no longer sold on Steam and hasn't been for a year and a half now. Like, even the developers commented on what the patch fixed on the forums. So maybe they plan to bring it back to Steam at some point?

Thanks for the review Dusk. One question, how is the performance of the game post patch? When it released I heard that there were issues as the game wasn't optimized.

Echoplx

Thanks for the review Dusk. One question, how is the performance of the titletitle post patch? When it released I heard that there were performance issues as the game wasn't optimized.

This is what the developer said in the Steam hub
Only PhysX, DirectX and OpenAL isntallers were updated. Also there is more space in the cloud for saves now.
I wouldn't expect any performance increases.

Parsnip

Been playing a bunch of Arkham Oranges, and man it feels like these guys didn't have a single original idea for the game. I'm still enjoying it, but everything is just kind of slightly worse than in City.

Only thing that they really improved upon is the crime scene stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the review Dusk. One question, how is the performance of the game post patch? When it released I heard that there were issues as the game wasn't optimized.
i'm pretty sure it'll run well anywhere

it's like super tight corridors all game long

Throw a bomb into the web, ezpz. Alternatively, identify situations where you don't need to fight enemies at all and just run past.
most of my bomb throws end up hitting the spider then me paralized in fear as i get eaten

you'll regret it if you take me as your pupil. i'm really really bad lol

mannerbot

most of my bomb throws end up hitting the spider then me paralized in fear as i get eaten

you'll regret it if you take me as your pupil. i'm really really bad lol

It's rough in the beginning but you can be good if you want to. Plus wouldn't it be nice to put that arrogant Wok in his place? 8)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dungeon Siege 1 doesnt work on Win7? just got a pop up window saying that when I tried to run it, never seen that before

wilflare

I'd cough up the difference for an 870.

Edit: Assuming the rumoured June release date is accurate.

Are you looking for an upgrade to an equivalent? 770 or higher will be as fast if not faster

the difference would be too much to cough up... (especially when I'm thinking/saving for a PS4 for that Remoteplay goodness and console exclusives)

hmm... I really want to stick with AMD GPU... but they need to allow for official GameStream, Downsampling support -COME ON-

PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY

Since it's my birthday, we are going to do something fun.

Come up with a gaming related joke with horrible pun(s), and I will give the winner a Prey key.
Edit: remember to quote this post, so it's easier for me to check tomorrow morning.
t1398031200z0.png

Jawmuncher

Come up with a gaming related joke with horrible pun(s), and I will give the winner a Prey key.
Edit: remember to quote this post, so it's easier for me to check tomorrow morning.
t1398031200z0.png

What did Zelda say to Link when he couldn't open the door?
Tri-Force

Milamber

t1398031200z0.png

Did you see that new Mario Golf on WiiU? They removed the RPG elements again.
Talk about a swing and a miss.

EDIT: I don't want the Steam key, I just want to play along cause it seemed fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nobody said happy birthday to me :(

1 month ago lol

Pachimari

So around 4 hours until the last day of GMG's deals. Hopefully Don't Starve, Banished or Gone Home are one of the deals but I highly doubt it.

Thanks for Tabletop Simulator JaseC. :)

Kiru

t1398031200z0.png
What is every Gorons favorite music band ?
The Rolling Stones.

Oh and happy birthday of course :D

Rhaknar

So around 4 hours until the last day of GMG's deals. Hopefully Don't Starve, Banished or Gone Home are one of the deals but I highly doubt it.

Thanks for Tabletop Simulator JaseC. :)

gone home isnt even on GMG

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

t1398031200z0.png
Sephiroth walks up to a hotdog stand and says "Make me one with everything."

Milamber

They say the Half Life series is like trying to win a steam key for Prey.
Third time's the charm.

Okay so that's not a pun...

Uhhhhh...

Sephiroth walks up to a hotdog stand and says "Make me one with everything."

RTubOyT.png

Seriously, both of them aren't even puns. You need some better materia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom