• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
I'm actually moving from Dragon Age Origins into awakening and I'm already disappointed at DA 2 and I haven't even bought it yet, haha.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'll play Dragon Age 2 someday because I know it can't be as bad as LA fucking Noire. So it's got that going for it in my eyes.

Ruruja

I e-mailed Meridian4 to get a steam key for Return to Mysterious Island from that groupees bundle and got this response:

Dear customer,

Meridian4 is solely responsible for RTMI 1 and 2 on Steam. We do not receive any financial compensation from other distributors, only Steam. However, in the spirit of good customer service (and hopefully a Facebook Like) below is a Steam Key for RTMI.

Anyone else get a similar reply?

its odd seeing a Halo game on steam even if it is a not an fps. maybe testing the waters for a full xbox console/pc push? WE CAN ONLY DREAM ;_;

molnizzle

Yeah, I had none of those issues. I used Nvidia's driver FXAA which worked quite nicely with the game for me. Your fixation on SMAA seems to be the root of your issues. Had no stuttering (used triple-buffering forced externally) and I didn't notice anything with the grass. Clearly a technical disaster for everyone who played it why did they cover this up.

I'm fixated on SMAA because it's the only acceptable option since I can't force MSAA through inspector. The in-game AA is pure shit and forcing FXAA made the textures look washed out. SMAA is the only decent solution for this game. Why can't I just force MSAA like I can in like every other game on the planet? Ridiculous.

I can't force triple buffering externally because apparently D3DOvrerrider doesn't work in Windows 8.1... for fuck's sake. The only thing that curbed the stuttering was the wonky d3d9 injector you can find online. But of course I can't use it with SMAA.

As for the grass, I'm not sure what to tell you. You must not have been paying attention, or you used a mod to change it. Look it up, it's been a huge issue ever since the EE. CDPR just never fixed it.

Ugh. I fucking hate PC gaming.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
damn AC4 at that price is yummy
the PC Port this time round does not disappoint right?

I wouldn't call it good. Other people on GAF have commented on the issues, so it seems like my experience isn't far from the norm. Be aware that the game has the propensity to delete saves, JaseC had this issue and had to resort to manually backing up his saves.

Shade

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Commandos 3 Destination Berlin -- MB-ACE7D4C85C396350 - Taken by BernardoOne. 11 entrants total.
Commandos 2 Men Of Courage -- MB-6C92DEEC1FD6CB75 - Taken by Alduin. 8 entrants total.
Ion Assault -- MB-24B5C5604576A227 - Taken by TuckingFypo. 6 entrants total.
Trauma -- MB-7E71FC52F18F548E - Taken by Zom. 7 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-09B94A635966AAB0 - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-FA4BE39EC9C9C1BE
Cargo The Quest For Gravity -- MB-69CD84A4A084F8E0 - Taken by Casimir. 6 entrants total.
Air Conflicts Secret Wars -- MB-712C4109AC8D57A1 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
Commandos BCD -- MB-13205AB48F60FC6A - Taken by $h@d0w. 6 entrants total.

t1397967307z1.png

I'm fixated on SMAA because it's the only acceptable option since I can't force MSAA through inspector. The in-game AA is pure shit and forcing FXAA made the textures look washed out. SMAA is the only decent solution for this game. Why can't I just force MSAA like I can in like every other game on the planet? Ridiculous.

I can't force triple buffering externally because apparently D3DOvrerrider doesn't work in Windows 8.1... for fuck's sake. The only thing that curbed the stuttering was the wonky d3d9 injector you can find online. But of course I can't use it with SMAA.

As for the grass, I'm not sure what to tell you. You must not have been paying attention, or you used a mod to change it. Look it up, it's been a huge issue ever since the EE. CDPR just never fixed it.

Ugh. I fucking hate PC gaming.
Yeah, with your AA demands it definitely sounds like you should have gone with the 360 version.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. That game sucks. The opening song is cool even though I like the True Ending Theme much more. I miss Crush 40 :(

At least in OST, Sonic hardly disappoints. No, I'm not posting a link to that shitty DS RPG.

Honestly, I really like a lot of the Sonic music. Sonic CD's opening was rad. I remember playing the PC version back when I was really young and being blown away by how rad it was. Sonic 2's Chemical Plant is really good too. SA2's Live and Learn is hype, even more after the game's final boss. Hell, most of SA2's Sonic and Shadow's levels have some great music in them, like Green Forest and Radical Highway, and City Escape admittedly makes me feel nostalgic. A few songs on the OST,especially White Jungle, introduced me to DNB. I honestly even like some of the more...questionable songs, like Pumpkin Hill, because those lyrics are so bad it's good.

There's a few that I played that I didn't like, like how Generations tended to butcher a lot of good songs, and the thing that was the OST for Sanic R.

And how can anyone forget this classic

molnizzle

Technically speaking, I don't know how it couldn't be. The grass color thing is horrid, but not nearly as bad as the nasty LOD that can't be fixed at all. Only solution there is EatChildren's mod, but that thing destroys performance on my rig.

I mean, the game has horrendous pop-in everywhere and the grass literally turns bright yellow when you run over it. You can fix it with mods, but not if you also want to use the combat rebalance mod that fixes the shitty combat. Pick your poison, decent combat with yellow strobe-light grass or shitty combat with normal looking grass.

Then there's the super dithering from the in-game AA and no way to force AA via GPU driver.

You guys might want to verify your file integrity or some shit because The Witcher 2 is one of the greatest games and one of the greatest looking games of all time, plays and performs great for me.

-MD-

Technically speaking, I don't know how it couldn't be. The grass color thing is horrid, but not nearly as bad as the nasty LOD that can't be fixed at all. Only solution there is EatChildren's mod, but that thing destroys performance on my rig.

I mean, the game has horrendous pop-in everywhere and the grass literally turns bright yellow when you run over it. You can fix it with mods, but not if you also want to use the combat rebalance mod that fixes the shitty combat. Pick your poison, decent combat with yellow strobe-light grass or shitty combat with normal looking grass.

Then there's the super dithering from the in-game AA and no way to force AA via GPU driver.

I've never had any of these issues. I never used any kind of mods or anything, the game looked amazing on my computer.

The only issue I ran into was vsync stutter so I just turned it off. I played the game without the combat mod, I'm sure you'll manage.

Playing Cryostasis, it's actually pretty good, shame they took it off Steam (though glad I still have it).

It's a pretty neat game, although I was heartbroken when I upgraded my pc the year before last and it still ran like shit :p

Anyone get Lichdom: Battlemage? I love Cryengine so that alone makes me want to get it.

Ubersampling fixes the dithering in The Witcher 2 :p

impact

Banned
fuck it, this bottle of Johnnie Walker is enough to push me over the edge into buying Sonic Generations. Did not like it on PS3 because of some crazy motion blur and probably crap FPS combination, but at 6 bucks #yolo

molnizzle

The EE is what I played, spent about 25 hours on a play through and didn't have a single problem. I also used the combat rebalance mod as well.

You didn't notice the grass magically turning yellow around Geralt's immediate vicinity?

What EE grass looks like:
xaUVkH3.jpg

What it's supposed to look like:
G4HjR7Z.jpg

(not my screenshots)

This issue isn't mitigated by any settings or user.ini tweaks. It is what it is, the grass around Geralt turns bright yellow when you're close to it and then dark green again when you get about 2m away. Running through Act 2 is distracting as hell.

This mod was created to fix it, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the full combat rebalance now. Even though the creator of the FCR mentioned in his initial release as a mod that he liked playing with. -_-

gabbo

You didn't notice the grass magically turning yellow around Geralt's immediate vicinity?
[/IMG]

(not my screenshots)

This issue isn't mitigated by any settings or user.ini tweaks. It is what it is, the grass around Geralt turns bright yellow when you're close to it and then dark green again when you get about 2m away. Running through Act 2 is distracting as hell.
I would say that's a very strange bug, as my EE grass (And for that matter, the red cloth roof on that wagon), was not that colour.

In a weird way I kind of feel like I'm playing Warcraft 2's campaign when playing Age of Wonder 3's Elven Court campaign. I'm slow and turtle up so I can amass resources and an army because I don't really know what I'm doing but if I throw enough meat into the grinder it will work. I don't know what it is but with Civ I get the balance of economy, research, expanding, developing your empire and army and sort of fail at that with other 4x games. I'm enjoying myself quite a bit but I don't fully get the ebb and flow of how things are supposed to work yet.

The first stage of the Elven Council campaign had you playing as an Elven Rogue, the second stage has you playing as a Draconian Arch Druid...

Here's a glimpse of how leveling up your hero works in AoW3...

Here's my first two cities in the new map. I've been super cautious, probably almost to the point of absurdity, building up my initial cities and armies. But the neutrals I've been fighting off of resource tiles have been pretty powerful, to the point where they're almost one-shotting my units. I've need to level up my hero and city improvements to improve the strength of my army.

This horror is the second thing I've been able to engage in diplomatic relations with. The first was a faery village I befriended in the Elven Rogue map, this is a female Goblin Rogue that looks to be in control of a faction aligned with my enemy in this map.

This is mostly to Jshackles, but if other people have had this happen that could chime in that would be awesome too. It's making market purchases kinda tough.

Has anyone had this happen in enhanced steam? The market page is all jumbled up and in the search I'm missing the links to change the page. I'm running firefox 28 and enhanced steam 5.9.1.
Edit: I have ruled out other plugins being the issue. It only happens with ES enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom