• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks for the review Dusk. One question, how is the performance of the game post patch? When it released I heard that there were issues as the game wasn't optimized.

Patch was mainly for a few bugs and launchers, not performance unfortunately.

That said, the performance for me was actually better than I expected. I experienced some slowdown at the very beginning and in a few moments, but it actually rarely stuttered on my rig. It did crash a few times in the second half of the game, though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY PREY GIVEAWAY

Since it's my birthday, we are going to do something fun.

Come up with a gaming related joke with horrible pun(s), and I will give the winner a Prey key.
Edit: remember to quote this post, so it's easier for me to check tomorrow morning.
t1398031200z0.png

After getting Wolfenstein 3D "greenlighted" for Steam release, what did id Software say?
Mein Gaben!
:)

Grief.exe

Sorry for the slight OT but there's not really any Origin OT and you guys are pro...

So I was browing different region on the Origin store to see if any had good deals on Watch_Dogs. They did fix the Indian loophole but I found that the deluxe edition is 45 $US on the mexican store which is not a bad deal. How do I find out if this version will work fine outside of Mexico?

OriginDB

Origin games are never region locked
Not really an amazing deal. If you don't care about Steam, prices on Uplay generally plumet after release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RE Revelations looks a lot better than I expected, seems fun so far too, gotta love boat settings in games

Megasoum

Banned
OriginDB

Origin games are never region locked
Not really an amazing deal. If you don't care about Steam, prices on Uplay generally plumet after release.

Yeah I think I'll just take the 14$ credit on GMG and get a uplay code for the deluxe for 55$...again nothing amazing but whatever.

Just launched Jurassic Park. It starts at a resolution of 1024x768 because clearly this is 2002. You have to cycle through about a dozen resolutions before you can get to 1920x1080. Instead of letting you choose your desired resolution and then applying it, the game will change the resolution every single time you cycle through a new one. Meaning it starts at 1024, then changes to 1280, then 1440, then 1680 and all the sub resolutions along the way before reaching the one you want.

Never change Telltale.

Dusk Golem

RE Revelations looks a lot better than I expected, seems fun so far too, gotta love boat settings in games

It's a pretty good game, and does look good for a 3DS game that was graphically updated. Make sure to find a co-op partner and try Raid Mode after you complete it, Raid Mode is absolutely addicting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just launched Jurassic Park. It starts at a resolution of 1024x768 because clearly this is 2002. You have to cycle through about a dozen resolutions before you can get to 1920x1080. Instead of letting you choose your desired resolution and then applying it, the game will change the resolution every single time you cycle through a new one. Meaning it starts at 1024, then changes to 1280, then 1440, then 1680 and all the sub resolutions along the way before reaching the one you want.

Never change Telltale.
I saw it too when I launched it to get the Playfire reward a few days ago. That's the dumbest design mechanic I've seen in quite a long time, lol

On a totally unrelated note, yesterday I went to Uruguay to see Sir Paul's concert in Montevideo. Big was my surprise when I saw the shirt (or however it's called) the security guys were wearing:

POWz3OB.jpg

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who notices that :p

Come up with a gaming related joke with horrible pun(s), and I will give the winner a Prey key.
Edit: remember to quote this post, so it's easier for me to check tomorrow morning.
t1398031200z0.png
When the Witcher ploughs, he cums longer than Gran Turismo 5.

zkylon

zkylewd
I saw it too when I launched it to get the Playfire reward a few days ago. That's the dumbest design mechanic I've seen in quite a long time, lol

On a totally unrelated note, yesterday I went to Uruguay to see Sir Paul's concert in Montevideo. Big was my surprise when I saw the shirt (or however it's called) the security guys were wearing:

POWz3OB.jpg

lol

garry's got agents everywhere

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

POWz3OB.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Available: 25 April 2014
This game will unlock in approximately 4 days and 16 hours

Dr.-Who.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

t1398031200z0.png

I got no puns but I got pork buns.
shutup.png

Tellaerin

That's sad, why haven't we unified all PC related stuff to one thread?

Wasn't the Steam thread supposed to be the catchall for all the PC download services now?

And on another note, does this swamp boat river ride thing in HL2 ever end? The vehicle segment seemed like a cool diversion when I started it, but at this point it feels like I've spent most of my playtime in the damn thing. I've occasionally had to get out of it... to kill some guys and open a canal lock so I can drive the boat some more. -_-

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished Binary Domain now I shall post my impressions of the game

Visually the game has good visuals with some inconsistencies. We have characters very detailed from head to do as we can also see character models where there are weirdly compressed textures next to textures that are details. Those issues are with non main cast but seeing the front hair of a character being really detail to see the back of the head look greatly compressed was certainly weird. Watching the robots fall to pieces depending the day you shoot them and also trying to attack you while missing lets feels gratifying and unique with the wave of generic shooters. The environments are good with some moments where it can feel sterile but can be understandable considering the locations you're at.

The story of the game is set on Tokyo year 2080 where AI has advanced and become innovative. We have an issue, someone is creating human like robots and we must find him before something terrible happens. The realistic robots are illegal under official orders so they must stop the creation and dispose of them too. The game touches on some themes from conspiracy, racism, morality among other things.

The characters and their dynamics are interesting. Say the proper things to them and you will earn their trust which will change the way they interact with you on the battlefield as it will also affect the story of the game. Doing the opposite will make them likely to ignore your orders or simply disagree with you often making things difficult. Obviously the better the trust levels from the team the better the ending and the lowest will bring the worst. You can also purchase skills that will help your partners work better on the battlefield. These skills go from having more health, the ability to carry more health packs, better defense among other effects.

The game handles well and easy to grasp. The game is a 3rd Person Shooter that is pretty simple at what it does and it doesn't reinvent the wheel of shooters. (No need to fix what ain't broken right?) The movement feels a bit arcadey at first but you adjust withing a few minutes. You got weapons, grenades, Melee attacks, Regenerative Health and Med Kits when you enter critical state or your partner reach critical state and they need healing. You have commands you can give to your partners from Regroup, Cover, Fire and some other options. You can use voice commands for it but it can be wonky at times and do other commands. (I played with the Voice Commands off) There are also moments where your partners will interact with you and you will have to answer back to gain trust in them, ignore and their trust will go low affecting the team dynamic. Boss fights can be annoying at times not exactly because they are hard but they can take their time to die which makes it bothersome. Luckily it does not apply to every boss and it doesn't affect the entertainment.

Voice acting is cheesy but it fits the cast. The characters have their cliches which adds some charm to them and while it might be cliche or cartoony it makes the interactions more likeable. The music is fitting with the theme and the sound effects are perfect for what they are meant to do.

Multiplayer Mode has 2 modes to select. These modes are Versus or Invasion. Versus mode works mostly like any shooter which features: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Team Survivor, Operation, Demolition, Data Capture and Domain Controls. Sadly I couldn't play these modes as the online community for the game is non existent. Invasion mode its pretty much Horde mode and can be played alone or with friends. I played it alone and it was fun like any other Horde mode.

The game took around 8 hours to beat and I had fun with it from beginning to end with very minor complains. The game was played on the highest settings it could offer without external modifications. It kept 60fps most of the time with very minor dips at times which some might not even notice. If you want a game to kill some time the game works fine. If you want to get all the endings that adds more replayability to it but thats about it as the game sadly does not feature New Game Plus. Overall the game its good with very minor lows and it has some decent (not extraordinary) highs.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

t1398031200z0.png

What do you get for walking to Anor Lando bare foot?
Dark Soles.

DagsJT

The pc games dont seem to have as many cars though, had a look at Assetto corsa might grab it soon but is Project Cars not on early access?

Does the amount of cars really matter? Always thought Gran Turismo and Forza overdid it with a stupid amount of cars, what percentage of cars that people "bought" or "unlocked" did they actually use?

Kinda felt like Pokemon in some ways.

Parsnip

Played through Broken Age Act 1, and liked it a bunch. Music's great, art is great, acting is great, dialogue is great, charming as hell.

A little on the easy side though. Hit a minor wall once on Vella's story due to a language barrier but solved it by trying every item on the thing and learned an English word in the process.

And on another note, does this swamp boat river ride thing in HL2 ever end? The vehicle segment seemed like a cool diversion when I started it, but at this point it feels like I've spent most of my playtime in the damn thing. I've occasionally had to get out of it... to kill some guys and open a canal lock so I can drive the boat some more. -_-

Oh snap! I played this very part just last night. Yes, it does overstay its welcome a bit! It sounds like you are most of the way through it though so I recommend you keep going so you don't get disorientated and backtrack accidentally. Once the game asks you to do something else in the boot other than steer you're on the home stretch!

Dusk Golem

Curious question to all you folks, how many Steam games have you completed since the year started? And not endless-fare like DOTA 2 or Killing Floor or the like~ Let's talk game's that have a defined ending. Was just thinking about it and wondering.

So far on my side, the games I have completed on Steam since the year began has been:

-Binary Domain
-BioShock Infinite
-BlackSoul Extended Edition
-Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
-Contrast
-Cryostasis
-Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut (first time beating the DC)
-F.E.A.R. 3 (though not the first time I've beaten it on Steam)
-Master Reboot
-Octodad: Dadliest Catch
-Resident Evil 6 (first time on Steam)
-Spec Ops: The Line
-The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
-Year Walk

Still got a lot more on Steam I want to beat before the year is up, hoping to complete Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 with some friends today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom