• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I think all of these are valid complaints, especially the last 3. Haven't played the game myself (nor will I do it in the future), but I see no reason to discredit those.

Valid criticisms? I agree

Trashing the entire product due to some niggling issues? I do not.

Especially when the whole package is probably one of the best Japanese ports we have seen.

I think all of these are valid complaints, especially the last 3. Haven't played the game myself (nor will I do it in the future), but I see no reason to discredit those.

Mouse cursor showing up in menus is fine because the mouse can actually control the menus, unlike a lot of other PC ports. Also the M/KB controls are so much improved from DS1 that they are totally viable so I don't see how that should make many complaints.

Overall seems like a great port, but I'm only like 4 hours in.

edit: I just realized the mouse cursor complaint might be when you are only playing with a gamepad, I could see that being annoying. Still not a big deal though.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
I love that show!

Mouse cursor showing up in menus is fine because the mouse can actually control the menus, unlike a lot of other PC ports. Also the M/KB controls are so much improved from DS1 that they are totally viable so I don't see how that should make many complaints.

Most people who gave it a thumbs down have fewer than 2 hours clocked in, you are now in a far better position to critique the game than them.

Nzyme32

Especially when the whole package is probably one of the best Japanese ports we have seen.

I see this as more of an issue with the binary review system of thumbs up or thumbs down. Enhanced Steam does provide reviews as a percentage to compare that binary result but it takes out the context.

Reading the reviews of either thumbs up or down often leads to identification of the more juvenile reviews versus the ones that are thought out, and not using the percentage value but rather the views of the users that I think have fairly judged it, usually make me more confident in my own views. I'd hope that others do the same rather than just following a metacritic style score that lacks context

Grief.exe

edit: I just realized the mouse cursor complaint might be when you are only playing with a gamepad, I could see that being annoying. Still not a big deal though.

I have just been putting down the gamepad and browsing the menus entirely with the mouse.

From did a great job implementing mouse-driven menus, something developers often overlook.

I see this as more of an issue with the binary review system of thumbs up or thumbs down. Enhanced Steam does provide reviews as a percentage to compare that binary result but it takes out the context.

Reading the reviews of either thumbs up or down often leads to identification of the more juvenile reviews versus the ones that are thought out, and not using the percentage value but rather the views of the users that I think have fairly judged it, usually make me more confident in my own views. I'd hope that others do the same rather than just following a metacritic style score that lacks context

You are right, and that is probably why Steam doesn't list the percentage like Enhanced Steam does.

I don't know whether that metric is available in the API, or ES servers calculate the value, but if it is the former I would guess that data is only meant for the developers.

zkylon

zkylewd

hey now

mouse cursor on menus is some really bad ocd shit

it's driving me insane

yuraya

So, apparently begging for free keys from devs, then using them to trade on TF2OP and ST is the new thing eh.

tumblr_m0dyhaGQV41r9x0sdo1_500.gif

Kiru

Oh, that's too bad then :( I didn't know they were expiring today. I already finished the campaign, so I wanted to 100% it too, lol

Got the 3 playfire rewards achievements thanks to Dunder (thanks again, you know your stuff lol). We could play whenever you like just to complete the game :)

So, apparently begging for free keys from devs, then using them to trade on TF2OP and ST is the new thing eh.

Detective-GAF is at it again!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

When I talked to the developers at Steam, this is basically the reason that was given as to why they don't have this feature/functionality themselves. The review percentage is really just meant to be a general guide and not the "be all end all review score". The score that Enhanced Steam generates isn't a complete, overall score anyway - it only calculates the value based on the 50 "most relevant" reviews.

Steam itself has the mechanisms in place for people to rate the reviews, where the most agreed upon viewpoints are, in theory, supposed to rise to the top and be calculated by the score. If you don't agree with the items voted as relevant by the Steam community as a whole, you should probably just ignore that percentage all together. :)

I stand by the fact that although not perfect, it's a better system than something like Metacritic where every user's score is weighted the same. It's completely crowd sourced - if you don't agree with a review, take the time to give it the thumbs down. If enough people have a similar opinion, it'll drive it off of the list and take it out of the percentage calculation. The same is true for positive reviews you feel are relevant - vote them up if you want them to be seen.

Also keep in mind that with any sort of crowd-sourced metric such as this, it can sometimes take a few days for the good reviews to be rated appropriately. Especially on Steam, where people (for whatever mind-blowing reason they have) almost always upvote the joke / gag reviews which are completely irrelevant.

You are right, and that is probably why Steam doesn't list the percentage like Enhanced Steam does.

I don't know whether that metric is available in the API, or ES servers calculate the value, but if it is the former I would guess that data is only meant for the developers.

Actually, Enhanced Steam calculates this value, but uses data from a developer API.

People who can't get past the company logo screens would disagree about it being a niggling issue. And asking for competent, responsive m+kb controls isn't too much to hope for either.

Grief.exe

People who can't get past the company logo screens would disagree about it being a niggling issue. And asking for competent, responsive m+kb controls isn't too much to hope for either.

Fair point, those issues are easily fixed though and seem more like oversights to me. I would imagine they will be patched relatively quickly.

Either update Windows Media Player or change your scaling to GPU in drivers. This seems to fix the majority of crashing issues, but YMMV.

And asking for competent, responsive m+kb controls isn't too much to hope for either.

The M/KB controls seem fine to me. The bindings aren't exactly what I would chose though, but they can be rebound.

Just makes no sense to use M/KB in a game like this.

I kinda love Dark Souls 2 already...hmm...

Yep, I'm enjoying myself thoroughly.

I have some chores to get out and do this morning, but I have the day off so I will be playing after that.

Nzyme32

When I talked to the developers at Steam, this is basically the reason that was given as to why they don't have this feature/functionality themselves. The review percentage is really just meant to be a general guide and not the "be all end all review score". The score that Enhanced Steam generates isn't a complete, overall score anyway - it only calculates the value based on the 50 "most relevant" reviews.

Steam itself has the mechanisms in place for people to rate the reviews, where the most agreed upon viewpoints are, in theory, supposed to rise to the top and be calculated by the score. If you don't agree with the items voted as relevant by the Steam community as a whole, you should probably just ignore that percentage all together. :)

I stand by the fact that although not perfect, it's a better system than something like Metacritic where every user's score is weighted the same. It's completely crowd sourced - if you don't agree with a review, take the time to give it the thumbs down. If enough people have a similar opinion, it'll drive it off of the list and take it out of the percentage calculation. The same is true for positive reviews you feel are relevant - vote them up if you want them to be seen.

Also keep in mind that with any sort of crowd-sourced metric such as this, it can sometimes take a few days for the good reviews to be rated appropriately. Especially on Steam, where people (for whatever mind-blowing reason they have) almost always upvote the joke / gag reviews which are completely irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the feature of being able to see a breakdown of those reviews in the way Enhanced Steam does, to a greater degree than metacritic since steams reviews are weighted and are redefined over time. It's a good way to a have an at glance view of how the community are receiving a particular game. However, that is all I use it for, I always investigate further to get a greater understanding of what people's issues/praises are, and I think a binary system does well to promote that.

My only issue comes from those that take that percentage aggregated metric alone to then compare and define a title without the context. For example with dark souls 2, I would be fairly certain over the next month or so, the more recent reviews particularly from those with large playtime, will overshadow the upset from past issues such as the announced fidelity not being in the release version.

Lighting isn't there from the TGS demo.
There are some launch road bumps.
People insist on using M/KB controls.
Mouse cursor shows up in menus.

SHIT CONSOLE PORT!!! DO NOT BUY

I'm embarrassed. Same shit happened to RE4HD.

With the GeDoSaTo tool (needs an update to fix the notifications/overlay crashing it though), the game looks a lot better than I thought it would. And the gameplay is super solid. I tend to take the worst outlook to prepare in case it's true and then I can end up pleasantly surprised if it doesn't come to pass. This is a case where I'm very pleasantly surprised.

The M/KB controls seem fine to me. The bindings aren't exactly what I would chose though, but they can be rebound.

This is entirely 100% true.
Surprised to see you say that though since you were talking up the fact that the game had better kb/m controls than Dark Souls port. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if one was to praise something, what would you praise?

The only issues I have with it are the relatively slow loading times, I want to instantly respawn after I die for example, but that is just me. The other is having to play at a 16:9 resolution so I don't have a cut image at my native 16:10.

Durante's new mod basically fixes everything else.

This is why I hate playing online. I've put about 4 hours into the game, I haven't killed a single boss and I'm already sick of "Praise the Sun." And just about every other unhelpful message which is about 99.8% of them.

Is the answer the sun?

NO. We're not even in Lordran.

JaseC's game collection.

This is a better answer.
So long as you're not praising SEGA support, Steam support, GameStop, or the Sun, we're cool.

Grief.exe

This is entirely 100% true.
Surprised to see you say that though since you were talking up the fact that the game had better kb/m controls than Dark Souls port. :)

Which part surprises you? They are better than the original Dark Souls port.

Not using M/KB controls seems like a rational choice for a game of this nature.

zkylon

zkylewd

the sun?

my technical qualms with dks2 right now are:
* mouse thingie is super annoying
* no 16:10 support
* grass sound on starting area was like fingernails on a chalkboard

gameplay is terrific as always, tho i don't like the grand level design nearly as much as i did with dks1. it just feels less sprawling so far and hasn't had any "holy shit i'm back at the beginning" moments yet, which was one of the key moments for me in undead burg in dks1

Fair point, those issues are easily fixed though and seem more like oversights to me. I would imagine they will be patched relatively quickly.

Either update Windows Media Player or change your scaling to GPU in drivers. This seems to fix the majority of crashing issues, but YMMV.

I'm not having any of the issues but I'm not dismissive towards those who are. If a game doesn't launch I absolutely understand why a frustrated person would rate it pretty harshly.

I'm using a controller as well. It feels better than M+KB because it was designed for it I guess. Still, I wouldn't say that people shouldn't want the game to control perfectly with it. Many third person games manage it just fine so there's no excuse for anyone else not to. And I'd never say that it doesn't make sense for someone to want good M+KB controls in a PC game.

This is why I hate playing online. I've put about 4 hours into the game, I haven't killed a single boss and I'm already sick of "Praise the Sun." And just about every other unhelpful message which is about 99.8% of them.

Yea I share this minor irritation with you. Yea, praise the sun. We get it. Thank you, move on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you are all wrong, including corrosivefrost's insane little anti-Solaire tirade (what kind of monster are you?).

you dont praise the sun, or JaseC's collection, or Gaben. There is but one thing to praise in the steam thread....Modbot!

200.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Souls II -- MB-F5EE6FEC9E1CFC38 - Taken by Mr. Poolman

t1398452292z1.png
200.gif

dont be a prick, dont enter if you have the game and want to sell it for keys or whatever those crazy kids do, dont enter if you're not going to play it, there are people that legitimaly want this game, just... be cool :)

Locust

I have someone on my friends list that's been doing that for at least a year now, posing as a reviewer.

Clearly the solution is to only hand out time limited keys to reviewers. ;)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you are all wrong, including corrosivefrost's insane little anti-Solaire tirade (what kind of monster are you?).

you dont praise the sun, or JaseC's collection, or Gaben. There is but one thing to praise in the steam thread....Modbot!

Epic giveaway, Rhaknar. I won't be entering because I don't plan on playing the game until after GFWL is patched out of the first and I play through that one.

Rhaknar

Epic giveaway, Rhaknar. I won't be entering because I don't plan on playing the game until after GFWL is patched out of the first and I play through that one.

theres really no reason to play them in order to be honest, but its your move. Although you of all people should enter for what youve done in the community

Nzyme32

Great giveaway, I praise you

RS4-

I have someone on my friends list that's been doing that for at least a year now, posing as a reviewer.

Clearly the solution is to only hand out time limited keys to reviewers. ;)

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have jumped the gun but it's really suspect with the post that I saw on ST/OP, especially since they're keys and the asking price is one of those too good to be true kind of things.

Just reminds me of uhh, wasn't there someone that was taking keys from modbot then selling/trading them as well?

praise Rhaknar.

Arthea

not gonna distract you from DS2 for too long, just noticed FootLOL is in the new Indiegala bundle. You really want this one, trust me! I bought it day one, have no regrets!

edited: Rhaknar, that's great giveaway
and entirely too tempting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom