• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

Anyone know anything about the game on the humble store called Capsule? Looks cool.

Huh...Steam just go down for anyone else?

Yeah, I wanted to check out what these Battlestations games were that Alessandro was giving away, and Steam's like "hi i am dead"

I won VVVVVV earlier, first win in, like, months, so I'm not eligible, but they seem like neat games.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm sorry but that right there is a bun

8EBFAF98D1F52060B23BC3A59456440954B51A90

i want at least a 5/10 if not more, as punitive damages

Aerocrane

I got WRC 4 ($20 at GamersGate) for that rally goodness and the videos don't play. Not the opening ones or the ones behind the menus or anything. I have WMP up to date (it uses WMV) sooooo... it's weird.

I think WRC 4 is a pretty bad game. I know that using V-sync causes (caused?) the videos to have choppy playback, but I doubt that would fix your issue. There was an update which broke achievements for about a month, maybe they've just messed up something again.

The new groupees' bundles are up.

Central Europe (All Steam):

- Gianna Sisters
- Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
- Where Angels Cry
- Nightmares From the Deep: The Cursed Heart
- Music
- Two Bonuses, thought the UK one was so successful they added bonuses.

Build a Microids (No Steam 50c each, min 2):

- Some are GOG, shame none of the Dracula games from steam are in it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think WRC 4 is a pretty bad game. I know that using V-sync causes (caused?) the videos to have choppy playback, but I doubt that would fix your issue. There was an update which broke achievements for about a month, maybe they've just messed up something again.
It's more rally than Dirt 3. That is what mattered to me. The in-game v-sync makes it 30fps, but that is easily avoided.

The new groupees' bundles are up.

Central Europe (All Steam):

- Gianna Sisters
- Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny
- Where Angels Cry
- Nightmares From the Deep: The Cursed Heart
- Music
- Two Bonuses, thought the UK one was so successful they added bonuses.

Build a Microids (No Steam 50c each, min 2):

- Some are GOG, shame none of the Dracula games from steam are in it.

Might get some of those microid adventure games for GOG.

Aerocrane

It's more rally than Dirt 3. That is what mattered to me. The in-game v-sync makes it 30fps, but that is easily avoided.

I'm just annoyed that this is a licensed game without any of the real special stages and the in-car view for all cars is identical. It's decent fun though, I just can't get the online mode to work.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I just received a trade offer and each time I try to respond an error message shows up. Tried restarting the Steam client to no avail. Any workarounds? Does it matter that I am locked out of the market for one week?

If you're getting the "You are unable to trade with [user]" error you need to load up Steam's web chat beforehand. This, for some bizarre reason, will fix the problem.

Copons

Are you playing Brave New World? I ask this because they sort of changed how luxury resources spawn in Civ V in BNW. Usually luxury resources now tend to spawn in just one area, although sometimes you're lucky and there's one or two others in much more limited quantities. So you'll basically have all of the cotton, copper, marble, whatever of your particular game. Basically what you want to do is lockdown the luxury resource in your area and then trade the extras to other Civs for the unique luxury resources they have. If they're willing, sometimes they aren't but you'll at least get strategic resources or a lot of gold per turn. I think this was done to encourage greater use of trading between Civs. Also it's great to tie your religion to whatever predominant resource you have. If it's cotton, for example, I usually make my pantheon Oral Tradition so every plantation generates culture on top of gold and some food.

Also the diplomatic screen for negotiating peace in Civ V is one menu and it is in the center of the screen, just on the lower half of it. it's two lists that you have to just scroll down. It only takes seconds :p If you want fine print you should play Europa Universalis, now that shit is dense.

I'm playing BNW, yes, and I didn't know of this change... I just blamed my bad luck, often reloading hoping to find a better spawn point. :D

And by the way, when in the current game Alex gave me a city to stop my war, in the trading menu, the city was actually at the bottom of the list, slightly smaller and indented.
So yeah, if you are allied with dozens of city state, that actually become fine print. :D

If you're going war-monger you're driving up the cost of research by 2% with each city by annexing and/or puppeting all of the cities of other empires. It's not a problem if you do the war-mongering early and then stop to develop those cities but it's better to have a smaller empire with larger cities than a larger empire with lots of smaller cities. The point of the army, if you're going for a science victory, is simply to stop other Civs from declaring war on you. You're probably going to want to get coal exposed as quickly as possible so you can make 3 factories and found the Order Ideology. I think one of the tier 2 Order policies adds a 25% increase to science output for cities with factories.

I'm not going warmonger, I'm just taking revenge over Alex the Motherfucker as soon as possible. Also, I've too many neighbors, and sure as hell I don't want to spend the rest of the game defending from 3 different civs coveting the same tile. :(

For the other stuff, it's basically my current plan: destroy Greece, stop warmongering, science science science -> factories -> order -> space ship -> alpha centauri -> a free CivBE from modbot.

Here be games:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-983FD3C68DD347E1 - Taken by Widdly Scuds
Cave Story Plus -- MB-A09DF51B78A43CBE - Taken by Jmanunknown
VVVVVV -- MB-A93E5D1FE2558763 - Taken by CyanideFuse
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-EE88A2FE8D78E17F - Taken by Boom Boom Pow

Dice

I'm just annoyed that this is a licensed game without any of the real special stages and the in-car view for all cars is identical. It's decent fun though, I just can't get the online mode to work.
I'm more astounded at the lack of options, particularly stick sensitivity and deadzone. It's not too bad (better than twitchy) but I would have tightened the deadzone and smoothed out the intensity gradient. I guess they assume you're using a wheel. Ah well, it's a decent-enough cheap dedicated rally game until Codemasters comes to their senses.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Rogue Shooter: The FPS roguelike!

It's just like it's named.

It is pretty neat! It looks like a mixture between chex mix or maybe commander keen. Or even a Doom wad but that's not a bad thing.

It's rogue like and it's awesome!

it's 5 bucks and has a demo get it people!
It looks interesting, but nothing turns me off as seeing the term "rogue like" used to describe a game. I read that and my mind goes "Nope!".

Firebrand

Hrm. I expected Dark Souls 2 to not look too next-gen, but oh boy... seriously, some stuff is so lowpoly it looks like a PS2 game - while other areas are gorgeous. And of course, the lighting is really flat. Oh well. Game's fun, though. I wonder what happened to the fancy uniforms that were in the first demo though, the ones for soldier and "templar" (is that the knight now?), the starting stuff for those two classes isn't nearly as cool. Hopefully they're somewhere to be found later.

Playfire gave me monies for Portal 2 cheevos I already had, woo. No money for the sign-up yet though...

Aerocrane

I'm more astounded at the lack of options, particularly stick sensitivity and deadzone. It's not too bad (better than twitchy) but I would have tightened the deadzone and smoothed out the intensity gradient. I guess they assume you're using a wheel. Ah well, it's a decent-enough cheap dedicated rally game until Codemasters comes to their senses.

The same lack of options has been there for now four games. I am a crazy person so I play racing games on PC using a keyboard, so I can't really comment on the sensitivity. I don't really trust Codies to sort their stuff out and put out a good rally game again until they drop the massive emphasis on sponsors and X-games and Ken Block.

I probably feel nostalogic for the old WRC games for PS2 by Evolution, but when it comes to the WRC license those are the best games. I played lots of WRC 2 Extreme, sold it to get a copy of WRC 3 in which I unlocked everything and completed everything. Both games are definitely some of my favourite PS2 games. I played some weird Ford-branded demo of WRC 4 and never played the full versions of that or Rally Evolved.

Dice

The same lack of options has been there for now four games. I am a crazy person so I play racing games on PC using a keyboard, so I can't really comment on the sensitivity. I don't really trust Codies to sort their stuff out and put out a good rally game again until they drop the massive emphasis on sponsors and X-games and Ken Block.

I probably feel nostalogic for the old WRC games for PS2 by Evolution, but when it comes to the WRC license those are the best games. I played lots of WRC 2 Extreme, sold it to get a copy of WRC 3 in which I unlocked everything and completed everything. Both games are definitely some of my favourite PS2 games. I played some weird Ford-branded demo of WRC 4 and never played the full versions of that or Rally Evolved.
Aye, rally is in such a sad state. GRID Autosport seems like it will be solid for a few other types of racing, though.

Nzyme32

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Puzzle Bots -- MB-96F72BC47BB3694D - Taken by wetflame. 3 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-523203B57B610B38
VVVVVV -- MB-0000779620DAA706

t1398514166z1.png

vermadas

So with the Dark Souls 2 Playfire rewards I finally decided to create an account there and link it with Steam/GMG. Well, it turns out I created an account there several years ago with an older yahoo email address and my desired account name. So when I logged in there with my current email address that's linked with my account on GMG it created a new account for me, but wouldn't let me set my account name because it already exists. I can't update the email on my original Playfire account because it created a new account with that email address. I put in a support ticket about 24 hours ago and have yet to hear a response.

In the meantime, I decided to watch the Red Wings game last night instead of play Dark Souls 2. Ugh.

Love how the Emerald Herald lounges about and when sitting slowly gets up before talking to player. Like to imagine she's think "ugh, time to deal with this again"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone know if you can set a specific timer for giveaways or is it 15mins, 3hours and 24hours the only options?

anyone know if you can set a specific timer for giveaways or is it 15mins, 3hours and 24hours the only options?

No just the 3 options.

Another bundle from Bundle bandits

$2 for:

-Glacier 3
-Gun Metal
-Litil Divil
-Soulbringer
-Humanity Asset
-Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

Everything apart from Glacier 3, I think, has been in previous recent bundles.

Jawmuncher

Not really, no. I never understood how to play it, and watching a friend of mine doing a (good) run through it, I realized I never will.

I felt the same way when I tried to play after watching videos.
Just sat there going "I must be missing something", will try and give it another go at some point.

aku:jiki

You shoot things, pick up things to let you shoot things more effectively and then you beat it.

Just got my 4th win thanks to finally getting to try out the candle. They weren't kidding about it being OP!

Batman Blackgate is at impulse-buy levels but the best thing I've heard about it is that it's mediocre. Anyone have any positive things to say about the game?

also, these guys are still available

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

VVVVVV -- MB-729A2D5B0B758E91
Cave Story Plus -- MB-157E8B1C843FF01A
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-16F60D3CD89BE8EA

t1398379299z1.png

Well, I'm getting rocked by the Dark Souls 2 crash on startup issue. Hopefully the 1 minute that it shows I've played is enough for me to get my Playfire reward for playing for the first time.

And to think, I was going to cancel my trip tomorrow just so I can stay home to play that game. Joking about cancelling.
Kind of.

Currently reading Rubicon and I started to think that a Crusader Kings clone set in the Roman era would be a great thing to play. And since this is the de facto PC gaming thread and such a game would only appear on a PC I'm posting here with hope that someone will point out that it already exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom