• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I feel ashamed for what Ive done. And I have no intention of doing it anymore.

What do you mean here?: Also, as you often mention is this thread, you have a huge Steam Wallet balance, no? Much of that must have come from your frequent ModBot wins I would think.

I think that would be wise, for your sake if not for any other reason.

I've noticed that you are one of the more frequent ModBot winners. Plenty of games to use SAM to get cards for to sell to boost your wallet balance. That's what I was meaning.

Copons

Oh god, what I was about to miss if I launched Civ5 just before checking the thread tonight...

Fantomena, I don't want to rub more salt on what has already been said, but... come on.
Of course I cannot expect some kind of journalism ethics from an amateur blogger, but still.

I'm a blogger too, even if mine is a satirical one so I assume devs aren't super eager to give me keys risking to be shitted upon just for a couple of good ol' laughs. So I don't even try to obtain keys, even though I could actually share my site numbers and they're kinda good all things considered.

My blog has received two keys in 4 years.
The first was VVVVVV from Terry Cavanagh himself, who found our review of VVVVVV and read it translated with Google Translate (blog is in Italian), and laughed so hard he actually wanted to reward us with what he could at the time.
The second was MirrorMoon EP, directly from its dev: the only time I ever asked for a key, and just because those devs are actual readers of the blog, so I felt kind of "entitled" by some kind of "higher" relationship with them compared with other devs.

I couldn't give VVVVVV to the author of the review, because of course he had it already, so I just gave it away randomly to one of the other authors.
MirrorMoon EP, I took it for myself, and I wrote about it what I believe is my best review ever, because, you know, I felt entitled to work ten times harder for people who basically lost 10€ (I would have bought it no matter what) to give me the opportunity to shit upon their game - and I didn't because the game is great.

This said: asking for multiple keys is bad. Is really bad. No matter what you're going to do with them, not if you trade them, not if you sell them, not even if you're charitying them.
Those people make a living from their games. It's not like you're asking for 10 Assassins Creed keys. Who cares about them, it's Ubi, they have plenty of money.
You're asking for Wasteland keys, Broforce keys and so on.
This, I cannot understand.
How could someone overlook such essential detail?

Anteater

We've still got PS3 exclusives that aren't even out.

I'm actually kind of curious what took them so long with P5 :p

Wasn't it Pachter who basically said very recently that we'll see a third of the AAA games we saw last gen, but that each of them would have 3 times the budget? Sounds completely insane.

I think it was someone from epic that said that, I'm not sure, I do wonder where we're going with AAA titles, we still got a lot of people who aren't quite satisfied with the quality of current gen games (graphical and presentation wise) and think the cross gen games don't look "next gen", a lot of people demands better presentation and bigger and more detailed world that will only drive those budget up.

It all started on school today when I was about to purchase Banished, Strider and Ikaruga for my birthday money (had birthday 23th april). Then a friend came (yes, a real friend), his name is Jostein (his Steam user, you can see me in his friends list) who knows about my reviewing stuff (most people on my school knows about my blog and I sometime loan them my review copies of games).

He aksed me if had some review codes left from games. I said yes, I have for Goat Simulator, Broforce, Full Bore, Spacebase DF-9 and maybe Wasteland 2 if i receive one more. He said he could help me through Steamtrades.com, be my middleman since I did not trust Steamtrades.com, he he have a profile there. So I gave him my review codes and he made this topic on Steamtrades for me.

I was impatient and made my own account hours after and started my own trade topic on Steamtrades.com. I locked it some hours after because I thought it was not needed since Jostein already have made a topic.

Then I thought it might be a better chance getting either Banished, Strider og Ikaruga if I used more trading allowed sites. So I tried CAG, some people got angry and called Neotards etc. so I changed my username to Dudeson in hope they won't get mad at NeoGAF at a whole, just me.

Then I asked Jshackles, JaseC and Apples, Man since I know they collect games, at least Jshackles and JaseC.

I thought about asking here on GAF, but I felt Steamtrades and CAG was enough.

Think that was all.

Seriously. Skip Strider. Use the 5 hours of your life to play something more enjoyable.

NOW Im going to bed...

Yeah, I could probably make a giveaway on my blog now.

No thanks. :) I would rather not give any codes to anyone anymroe if they are not for a giveaway on my blog.

Good man.

Sleep well. We all do things we later think better of so don't beat yourself up too much over all this, okay?

fantomena

I have chosen to buy Ikaruga and Banished today when I wake up again. Banished from the Humble Store and Ikaruga on Steam.

Good man.

Sleep well. We all do things we later think better of so don't beat yourself up too much over all this, okay?

Other than an extremely bad conscience I think I will do fine.

I mean, I habe such a bad conscience for all of this that it actually hurts in my stomach.

Dr Dogg

I think it was someone from epic that said that, I'm not sure, I do wonder where we're going with AAA titles, we still got a lot of people who aren't quite satisfied with the quality of current gen games (graphical and presentation wise) and think the cross gen games don't look "next gen", a lot of people demands better presentation and bigger and more detailed world that will only drive those budget up.

Someone? *tisk* It was the man, the myth, the legend that is Tim Sweeney.

in fantomena's defense, a lot of companies give extra keys to people from the press so they can spread the word. Telltale does this, for instance. But yeah, asking for seconds is in poor taste.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
in fantomena's defense, a lot of companies give extra keys to people from the press so they can spread the word. Telltale does this, for instance. But yeah, asking for seconds is in poor taste.

Giving them away is completely fine. It's good marketing.

hohoXD123

Seriously. Skip Strider. Use the 5 hours of your life to play something more enjoyable.

image.php

I have chosen to buy Ikaruga and Banished today when I wake up again. Banished from the Humble Store and Ikaruga on Steam.

Other than an extremely bad conscience I think I will do fine.

I mean, I haw such a bad conscience for all of this that it actually hurts in my stomach.

I know. I could tell that it was hitting you hard. I've been there plenty of times, trust me. We can't undo things but we can learn from it and move on. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Give yourself the same understanding and compassion that you would give to someone else. It took me a long time to understand how important that is.

Ruruja

Sploosh.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

To The Moon -- MB-87C77EB4FAA61216 - Taken by Sub Zero - Taken by Sub Zero

derExperte

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Puzzle Bots -- MB-4FB20C4D97EB8BB3 - Taken by FauX
VVVVVV -- MB-F0BDABC270DE702B - Taken by pupo
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-5AA926E3707124F0 - Taken by Darth Kupi

Acccent

A good rule of thumb: when you're about to do something involving steam keys, think about what would happen if steamgaf found out. If 'outrage' sounds like it's not that outlandish a prediction, then you should probably reconsider. Trust the steamgaf moral code.

A good rule of thumb: when you're about to do something involving steam keys, think about what would happen if steamgaf found out. If 'outrage' sounds like it's not that outlandish a prediction, then you should probably reconsider. Trust the steamgaf moral code.
I think this can apply to a lot of things and not just those involving steam keys.
SteamGaf can help set anyone on the straight and narrow.

derExperte

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition -- MB-7E0D02548CCA63F6 - Taken by TuckingFypo. 2 entrants total.

t1398469886z1.png

Pretty ironic coming from a guy who has Strider as an avatar :p

I like th IP.
I like the character.
I like the original arcade game, the NES game, and while I haven't played it the PSOne game looks pretty solid. Strider Hiryu's appearances in other games such as the MvC series is also usually well done.

But the new game isn't good. It's a 6 out of 10 at best and that's if you can get past the braindead combat, lack of difficulty, short game time, lack of variety, etc.
I can't think of a single thing that it did well enough for me to recommend it over another competent metroidvania type title.
Having Hiryu is not a free pass to make a mediocre game worth playing.

Btw, what did Javadots do to make SteamGAF pissed?

Abused the hell out of modbot and then sold the keys for profit, if I remember correctly.

Nzyme32

Would it not be possible to make the high giveaway takers // low givers named and shamed, for the sake of everyone it might help cut that down

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
image.php

edit: beaten, damn it lol. Anyway, I hope Mr Pool managed to get DS2 running with no problems, that was my one fear from the giveaway, that the winner would be one of the unlucky bastards that cant run it (or, you know, that he would turn around and sell it lol)

ShogunX

Old, Dusty but somebody might need it.

First time I did this modbot failed. Hopefully this works.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

Red Orchestra -- MB-6CDBBF081B4871D2 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 1 entrants total.

t1398470476z1.png

Ruruja

Reposting some Desura keys that weren't taken before.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Desura keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

ulgzbKC.png
Pester Desura Key -- MB-1425B26427141A1B
ulgzbKC.png
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe Desura Key -- MB-2F9C50CB6D4A2606
ulgzbKC.png
Eleusis Desura Key -- MB-AFF8F0EB324150A5
ulgzbKC.png
World War 2: Time of Wrath Desura Key -- MB-54AF6CC255FAC174
ulgzbKC.png
Kansei Desura Key -- MB-9AFFDE1219A41384
ulgzbKC.png
Pester Desura Key 2 -- MB-152F76A4B14F9FB5
ulgzbKC.png
Fairy Bloom Freesia Desura Key -- MB-57B8E0383BC885E6 - Taken by Mohasus - Taken by Mohasus
ulgzbKC.png
Ether Vapor Remaster Desura Key -- MB-C3DD6832DC824721 - Taken by Jason Frost

hohoXD123

image.php

edit: beaten, damn it lol. Anyway, I hope Mr Pool managed to get DS2 running with no problems, that was my one fear from the giveaway, that the winner would be one of the unlucky bastards that cant run it (or, you know, that he would turn around and sell it lol)

Should that happen, the full wrath of steamgaf shall be felt. But realistically no one would trade the chance to praise the sun for a few measly keys.

Would it not be possible to make the high giveaway takers // low givers named and shamed, for the sake of everyone it might help cut that down

Yeah, seems a bit ridiculous. Think the single digit ones should be blacklisted at least.

Uraizen

Banned
I like th IP.
I like the character.
I like the original arcade game, the NES game, and while I haven't played it the PSOne game looks pretty solid. Strider Hiryu's appearances in other games such as the MvC series is also usually well done.

But the new game isn't good. It's a 6 out of 10 at best and that's if you can get past the braindead combat, lack of difficulty, short game time, lack of variety, etc.
I can't think of a single thing that it did well enough for me to recommend it over another competent metroidvania type title.
Having Hiryu is not a free pass to make a mediocre game worth playing.

This sounds like a certain other game... yes... a certain other game.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Blue Toad Murder Files -- MB-ED7F8A75FEA0A371 - Taken by Evrain

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

An old RPGMaker game from 2009, Millennium - A New Hope, has arrived on Steam for $4.79, a discount of 20% off. It's been in three bundles, the Indie Gala January bundle, Groupees' Build a Greenlight bundle, and Indie Royale's Debut 5 bundle. It also has cards. The first badge you can unlock is called "the Tentacle King."

About the Game

Traverse through rich, detailed environments, recruit colorful characters and fight your way through dangerous hordes of enemies in this exciting old-school RPG incorporating 40 quests, 26 secret rooms, 8 animal kings and countless of secrets and items to discover.

Backstory

Marine is young - too young to endeavor great things.
But Marine is a fighter and she refuses to accept fate.
Because her fate is to be a peasant and probably die young - a disease, or a predator, whatever, you always die of something in the murky lands of Myst.

So when her father is critically injured, Marine decides to fight back and take over the crusade he can no longer pursue.
Which crusade? To challenge the Lords of Mystrock, the rich megalopolis of Myst, and defeat them in a traditional showdown that decides the rulers of the world.

Details

Millennium is the first episode of Aldorlea's flagship series (the makers behind The Book of Legends, Moonchild, Dreamscape, 3 Stars of Destiny, Asguaard, Undefeated etc.).
Featuring an immersive story written by Indinera (as well as characters and dialogs developed by him), this game is a fantastic introduction to a series that spans over 5 episodes and features more than 20 characters in total.

Thinking Milamber might like that backstory

Did Steam have some sort of glitch recently? Everyone on my friends list that isn't currently online was apparently last online 50 minutes ago.

This sounds like a certain other game... yes... a certain other game.

Quiet you. That other game is *plenty* difficult, has more variety than Strider (and gives you REASONS TO USE IT), and I managed to put over 30 hours into it so far. Strider has 15 including idling for cards. I think it took 9 hours to get 100% of the achievements and beat it twice. :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-411B6F6D832C7D0B - Taken by Megasoum. 2 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-426582F7A6565BBF - Taken by maneil99. 2 entrants total.

t1398471643z1.png
please play it if you win. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom