• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
Ok, SteamGAF, I need some Dark Souls 2 advice. Early game spoilers probably:

I've pretty much cleaned out the Forest of Fallen Giants and found the first boss. He proceeded to one hit me. I'm afraid to go back and try again... I used an effigy to regain my humanity and life bar... but I'm not sure I can take him. Other than this, is there anywhere else I can go?

Other random things I wouldn't mind having answered:
(1) There's a weird tree that looks like the first boss (kinda) in a courtyard near the big armored soldier and the two knights throwing firebombs -- you can examine it, but "alas, it does nothing". Should I be doing anything here yet?
(2) If I need to build souls to level up a bit, where's the best spot to do this exactly? I have a bunch of missing enemies from repeatedly dying it seems...

I paid about $10 and I thought that was too much.
He's supposed to one hit you, he's really slow. I'd go back to him, he's the first boss really. There's another path back in town but is meant more for second or third bosses, but could make for a decent grind spot if you really can't manage the giant. The Tree thing is something you can do MUCH later in the game so just remember the location.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Here is a gift link for Serious Sam 3 BFE. Just going through my humble bundle games I never redeemed cause I already had them.

edit. gone

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If you can stream I'll coach you through the fight, you can do it. Otherwise, while I think that summoning ruins the game, you might want to try that as it's better than just giving up entirely.
That would be nice, thanks! Can't do it now, but it'd be fun if I do it someday. And you'll get to laugh too
at how bad I am!

Fun fact, you actually start DaS above level 1 unless you choose that one class that starts at level 1.

Also I offered to help! You could get there, you just need to keep working your skills.
I know you did, but I think I don't have any humanity left. And I don't want to be playing the whole game in co-op, I'd like to be able to beat it on my own :(

Seriously. Levels and stats and bigger and shinier gear is just a distraction. Going SL1 is the best way to learn the core mechanics of the game.
Oh no oh no, that idea truly scares me. Not relying on ever growing stats to compensate for my lack of skills would turn an already very hard game into an impossible one. It can probably be done, but not by me.

Caerith

Oh no oh no, that idea truly scares me. Not relying on ever growing stats to compensate for my lack of skills would turn an already very hard game into an impossible one. It can probably be done, but not by me.

If it scares you, that means you must try it. The worst that can possibly happen is you succeed.

mannerbot

Ok, SteamGAF, I need some Dark Souls 2 advice. Early game spoilers probably:

I've pretty much cleaned out the Forest of Fallen Giants and found the first boss. He proceeded to one hit me. I'm afraid to go back and try again... I used an effigy to regain my humanity and life bar... but I'm not sure I can take him. Other than this, is there anywhere else I can go?

Other random things I wouldn't mind having answered:
(1) There's a weird tree that looks like the first boss (kinda) in a courtyard near the big armored soldier and the two knights throwing firebombs -- you can examine it, but "alas, it does nothing". Should I be doing anything here yet?
(2) If I need to build souls to level up a bit, where's the best spot to do this exactly? I have a bunch of missing enemies from repeatedly dying it seems...

That boss is REALLY easy. Just
run through its legs/stay behind it, and don't get hit.
Seriously, nothing to be afraid of lol.

That would be nice, thanks! Can't do it now, but it'd be fun if I do it someday. And you'll get to laugh too
at how bad I am!

The Gargoyles are a pretty big difficulty spike, you can totally do it though. And after you get past that you're probably good enough to get through the game up to what I consider the climax of the base game, at which point you might struggle again (but, again, can totally do if you persevere!). And yeah, I certainly wouldn't recommend SL1 for your first play but hopefully you wind up liking the game enough to give it a shot in the future. :p

maty

Stump, if you read this, is it possible to update "my loot" command to show how many games you have given away? Now it only shows games won and games unclaimed.

If it is too much trouble I'll just check all PMs with the title register and count it myself. But this would save some time.

Thanks

If it scares you, that means you must try it. The worst that can possibly happen is you succeed.

I attempted a SL1 run in Demon's Souls, I got as far as the Flamelurker. I haven't tried one in Dark Souls, but you are right it is a good way to learn the mechanics of the game in a very unique way.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No man, don't take me to the dark path! Sometimes a man must accept his limitations and embrace them. Though I could try going back to the game and beating this fucking boss, that I could do (trying, not succeeding).

The Gargoyles are a pretty big difficulty spike, you can totally do it though. And after you get past that you're probably good enough to get through the game up to what I consider the climax of the base game, at which point you might struggle again (but, again, can totally do if you persevere!). And yeah, I certainly wouldn't recommend SL1 for your first play but hopefully you wind up liking the game enough to give it a shot in the future. :p
I changed my mind. How many difficulty spikes are there? This game's insane!

sGoqhBq.jpg

Looks like there's a 200% risk of rain.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Don't forget to bring a towel

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Risk of Rain -- MB-6FA1A53A883C9536 - Taken by Miker. 26 entrants total.
Risk of Rain #2 -- MB-D9C616ECDD36F58F - Taken by thesaucetastic. 18 entrants total.

t1398488877z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pro-tip for Dark Souls 2: Throw down your summon sign in front of a boss door. Help some bros out. Then beat the boss on your first try on your own save because you pro as fuck. Then proceed to do more jolly cooperation on said boss to help more bros out.

Since the game came out chances are you will be summoned within ten seconds of putting your sign down. This morning was crazy. I did like 15 runs on one bosses with like zero down time.

zkylon

zkylewd
Pro-tip for Dark Souls 2: Throw down your summon sign in front of a boss door. Help some bros out. Then beat the boss on your first try on your own save because you pro as fuck. Then proceed to do more jolly cooperation on said boss to help more bros out.

Since the game came out chances are you will be summoned within ten seconds of putting your sign down. This morning was crazy. I did like 15 runs on one bosses with like zero down time.
yea i've been doing this a bit, specially to keep my pretty face intact and to farm souls and buy all the armor

after a couple helps i destroyed
shiny tower knight

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
A couple more codes:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-94F37CF9F55E03A6 - Taken by pupo
Brutal Legend -- MB-F1ECBA28FF32EF7E - Taken by -MD-

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
yea i've been doing this a bit, specially to keep my pretty face intact and to farm souls and buy all the armor

after a couple helps i destroyed
shiny tower knight

Oh yeah helping bros restores your humanity for free I think. I'm pretty sure it did for me the first time I did it.

r3n4ud

Ya guys, help us tools
read: me
out! I've played close to 10 hours and yet to reach the first boss :/. I spent quite a bit of time messing around with different characters though before I actually began playing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh yeah helping bros restores your humanity for free I think. I'm pretty sure it did for me the first time I did it.
exactly

basically if you're gonna fight any big boss you should just do a bro help run first to get your health back. you can then try a couple times at like 80-90% but there's no reason to fight at 50 when you can just help a brother out

Ya guys, help us tools
read: me
out! I've played close to 10 hours and yet to reach the first boss :/. I spent quite a bit of time messing around with different characters though before I actually began playing.
lol what the hell dude

go put that guy out of his misery

Scythian

I could get Dark Souls II for around $31, I'm really tempted, but I STILL haven't beaten Dark Souls, freaking Ornstein & Smough >.<

I think getting an achievement while having GeDoSaTo enabled and not being able to quit properly because I couldn't see anything has borked my Dark Souls 2 save file. I now get errors about not having the DLC and stuff and losing items from my inventory. :\

zkylon

zkylewd
o yea for sure most annoying thing about the pc port is having to go back to the menu to quit

it wouldn't be such a hassle if it didn't have to reconnect to the servers every time you go back to the main menu

edit: man i hate when people leave illusory wall messages so class to the wall i can't interact with it

KScorp

Extraneous keys. Enjoy!

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

To The Moon -- MB-3F0934E9F3B91AAE - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 6 entrants total.
Bad Hotel -- MB-77ABF4DD600FBE2A - Taken by drakaenae. 9 entrants total.
Really Big Sky -- MB-CE27749A07CDF4C2
Skyward Collapse -- MB-A81CFEF4654A7C5D

t1398490903z1.png

Tecl0n

o yea for sure most annoying thing about the pc port is having to go back to the menu to quit

it wouldn't be such a hassle if it didn't have to reconnect to the servers every time you go back to the main menu

edit: man i hate when people leave illusory wall messages so class to the wall i can't interact with it

Wait, wait, you don't hit the walls this time around?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There are still about a dozen keys remaining in my giveaway. With 2 or 3 exceptions it's all junk that has been bundled a million times before but if you happen to know someone who knows someone who doesn't have one or more the games, feel free to take it/them. Better they find a home than wander the streets selling their bodies for drugs or whatever it is unwanted keys do.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wait, wait, you don't hit the walls this time around?
nope, you gotta press a in front of them. there's another set of illusory walls you actually have to hit (you'll know when you see them) but yea.

also just got invaded for the first time

it was kind of lame cos i was really low from fighting a dude and the guy spawned right next to me, didn't even give me time to heal

Milamber

I go out last night, get introduced to an amazing barbecue buffet restaurant for the first time, have a nice dinner with friends, accidentally bump into a cute girl there and finally said something witty as an apology and she smiled and laughed, restaurant just got some cold Pabst beer on tap and gave us some on the house, overall great night.

And I fucking wished I was here 10 hours ago with the cheapass/fanto/neotards blowup.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I go out last night, get introduced to an amazing barbecue buffet restaurant for the first time, have a nice dinner with friends, accidentally bump into a cute girl there and finally said something witty as an apology and she smiled and laughed, restaurant just got some cold Pabst beer on tap and gave us some on the house, overall great night.

Perfect OT thread material. :p

There are still about a dozen keys remaining in my giveaway. With 2 or 3 exceptions it's all junk that has been bundled a million times before but if you happen to know someone who knows someone who doesn't have one or more the games, feel free to take it/them. Better they find a home than wander the streets selling their bodies for drugs or whatever it is unwanted keys do.

Thanks for some free trading cards ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
to be fair homefront can be played to completion in one sitting (well, as long as you eat lunch and don't need to go to the bathroom first, it's maybe 4 hours or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom