• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Another surprise release:

With FarSky, you take the role of Nathan who got lost in the Ocean after the crash of his submarine. You need to learn how to survive in the depths of the Ocean.

Use the environment to gather resources, build a base to refill your oxygen and manage all your items, craft equipment and weapons to explore and protect yourself in the Ocean depths, create an in-base farm or go fish hunting to feed yourself,...

Video with some gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY5sppMk04A

So here's the hero/unit upgrade screen. The model and textures are pretty low resolution but it's what you see on the overworld map and in battles. I don't know if they'll make a sexier, higher res version later or if that's even a concern of theirs. Anyways on the left-hand side you can see all of the different kinds of gear I can produce. You just drag and drop the tiles into the appropriate slots. With your hero and units you're improving there's only a resource and dust cost, with newer units there's a increased production times and a resource cost.
4CE1D9D9DEE53FE4AFE0736A99352F47BE187699

This is your army management screen and mine is pretty barren. I've only got one active army at this point in the game with two armies garrisoned in my two cities. On the right is where you edit existing units or create "brand new" units based off of old ones. They're the same base unit you can just change their name and give them upgraded equipment. You need to edit existing units if you want to upgrade units in the field. To improve the gear of active units you have to select an active army from the large list in the middle and then select all units in that army in the bottom middle portion of the screen to upgrade them. You can upgrade individual units but there's no point in doing it piecemeal unless you can't afford to upgrade all of the units at once. And it is expensive.
FBB5C70C78B474D5D723C7301596AA510B275DC0

Here is what upgrading your city looks like. The tile with the spire in it is the original settlement. When you expand your city you select one workable tile to add the expansion and this will give you three more workable tiles.
90FE845F975E39BF1BD661F0FD7F5BC70C289F15

Here's what it looks like up close. You can see that I'm expanding towards a luxury resource and a little further to the right is a strategic resource, glassteel, which will take two more city expansions to get. If you look in the upper left hand corner you'll see a cluster of resources that I may spend the rest of the game working towards with this city.
1669EE8E7C7E519586EF792DDFA16DFE89C67AC5

Edit: One thing I neglected to mention is you don't need strategic resources to get military upgrades. There are iron based weapons and armor that have no strategic resource cost and have tiered improvements. The weapons and armor that do cost strategic resources are a bit better but not vastly so. If I hadn't completed a quest that rewarded me with an amount of titanium I would be stuck with just iron gear.

Exuro

Just 4 hours to go. Will post this on each page so Im sure as many as possible get's a chance. :)

Ive been kinda addicted with these "big" giveaways. Im worried.
Holy ship I won! :O

Thank you fantomena!

Time to be more unproductive. :D

Edit: And its a duplicate key :(

lQNSdvU.png

So here's the hero/unit upgrade screen. The model and textures are pretty low resolution but it's what you see on the overworld map and in battles. I don't know if they'll make a sexier, higher res version later or if that's even a concern of theirs. Anyways on the left-hand side you can see all of the different kinds of gear I can produce. You just drag and drop the tiles into the appropriate slots. With your hero and units you're improving there's only a resource and dust cost, with newer units there's a increased production times and a resource cost.

Loving reading your opinions about EL, could you post your overall feeling of the game after you play a bit more in this thread?

this is just awful
the CE branding at the side :/

why.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
please play it if you win. :)

Thanks for Crysis 2!!

Edit: Holy shit I'm dumb, I totally forgot I had it on steam already lol. Obviously I'll give it back here. Do I have to do anything special with modbot since the code was already given away recently (but by a different user).

Locust

Some stuff from the key coffer.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Reign Conflict of Nations -- MB-BEF8BAE04DC6DC94 - Taken by nampad. 1 entrants total. - Taken by nampad. 2 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-7E709F96487E6789
Worms Crazy Golf -- MB-C6DAD1B52490740D - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat. 1 entrants total. - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat. 1 entrants total.

t1398472990z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Holy ship I won! :O

Thank you fantomena!

Time to be more unproductive. :D

Edit: And its a duplicate key :(

lQNSdvU.png

I don't believe that's fantomena's fault, is this a case where Modbot hiccuped and gave it out to two people? It's a very rare occurrence, but does tend to happen when either GAF or the bot is under extreme load.

Megasoum

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crysis 2: Maximum Edition (ORIGIN) -- MB-411B6F6D832C7D0B - Taken by Alduin. 1 entrants total. - Taken by Alduin. 2 entrants total.

t1398473755z1.png

I took the key before realizing I already had the game like a dumbass! Sorry about that... Hopefully somebody will get to enjoy it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
FYI, if you're doing Playfire, ArcheBlade (play once) is F2P.

Ah thanks. I was going to get nothing this week because I didn't own any of the games/don't feel like playing Portal 2, but now I can at least get something. Who knows, maybe ArcheBlade will even be fun.

I don't believe that's fantomena's fault, is this a case where Modbot hiccuped and gave it out to two people? It's a very rare occurrence, but does tend to happen when either GAF or the bot is under extreme load.

This happened to me when i gave a game away earlier this month and one of the people who got the message from Modbot PM'd me about it.

I can't remember who it was or what game it was because i've deleted the messages just to keep my PM folder clean.

Miguel81

Should I feel bad for getting the Crysis Trilogy from Gamergate(Origin) for 12.50 instead of waiting for a Steam sale of 1 and Warhead? First World Problems.

fantomena

How is Humble Stores credit card system? I kinda want to try to use my credit card when buying Banished, but I hope Humble Store don't remember credit cards...

Oh god please somebody take Crysis 2 off my hands lol... Feel terrible for taking it by mistake lol.

It was in a bundle a few months ago so those keys can be hard to give away. Don't worry if it doesn't go though as it will be given away in a huge leftover keys giveaway via ModBot that Stump does every few months.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Before you give up, try doing an SL1 run. You might find you're better than you thought you were.
SL1 run? You mean, like not leveling up at all, never ever?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH this is probably the best joke I've heard in a long time. Dude, I cannot, I repeat, I cannot beat
the gargoyles
on a regular playthrough, there's absolutely zero chance I'd be able to even finish the tutorial if I don't level up. I am that bad, which isn't surprising because I always suck at games. I wish I weren't, but there's nothing I can do about it :/

How is Humble Stores credit card system? I kinda want to try to use my credit card when buying Banished, but I hope Humble Store don't remember credit cards...
Why would you be worried about Humble Store and credit cards? Honest question. I'm curious if you know something I don't.

Anyway, to answer your question (sort of), is PayPal an option for you?

mannerbot

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH this is probably the best joke I've heard in a long time. Dude, I cannot, I repeat, I cannot beat
the gargoyles
on a regular playthrough, there's absolutely zero chance I'd be able to even finish the tutorial if I don't level up. I am that bad, which isn't surprising because I always suck at games. I wish I weren't, but there's nothing I can do about it :/

If you can stream I'll coach you through the fight, you can do it. Otherwise, while I think that summoning ruins the game, you might want to try that as it's better than just giving up entirely.

fantomena

Why would you be worried about Humble Store and credit cards? Honest question. I'm curious if you know something I don't.

Anyway, to answer your question (sort of), is PayPal an option for you?

I just don't like using my credit cards on websites I have not used it on before. I have no believe that Humble Store scams people with cc though. Also, I never want any website to remember my cc, I always make sure that I never press "remember purchase information" on Steam.

PayPal is an option yes, but I have to change the cc I use on PayPal from my dads to mine, that's why I kinda want to just use cc on Humble Store, I don't want to change CC on PayPal.

I just don't like using my credit cards on websites I have not used it on before. I have no believe that Humble Store scams people with cc though. Also, I never want any website to remember my cc, I always make sure that I never press "remember purchase information" on Steam.
Makes sense, and I agree... better safe than sorry.

dani_dc

the gargoyles

Fun fact, you actually start DaS above level 1 unless you choose that one class that starts at level 1.

Also I offered to help! You could get there, you just need to keep working your skills.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What the Wiimote waving Objection! Isn't enough for you?

I've got them on there and the iOS versions but can't see any conceivable reason why they haven't made there way to pc yet. Capcom don't want anymore of my money it seams.
I never got the Wiimote stuff to work in those games, not even once, lol

And I think there's a PC version out there, but if I'm not mistaken it's only the first game (or part of it) and Japanese only. Too lazy to google it right now, so please excuse me if I'm spreading bad information.

FAKE EDIT: I decided to google it instead of posting ignorant stuff, and here's what I found:
"The Game Boy Advance version [of Ace Attorney 1] was also re-released for the PC as Gyakuten Saiban PC, published by the Japanese company SourceNext shortly after the Nintendo DS release."

"A PC version [of Justice for All] under the title Gyakuten Saiban 2 PC was released by the Japanese company SourceNext on March 31, 2006. Similar to the PC port of the first game, this is an emulation of the original Game Boy Advance version to be played on Windows based PCs, rather than an enhanced remake like the one that was released afterwards for the Nintendo DS. Again, it was only released in Japan."

"It [Trials and Tribulations] was originally released for the Game Boy Advance and was later ported to the PC."

You can bet that I'd be paying some sweet sweet cash for these games if an English version appeared on Steam.

Ok, SteamGAF, I need some Dark Souls 2 advice. Early game spoilers probably:

I've pretty much cleaned out the Forest of Fallen Giants and found the first boss. He proceeded to one hit me. I'm afraid to go back and try again... I used an effigy to regain my humanity and life bar... but I'm not sure I can take him. Other than this, is there anywhere else I can go?

Other random things I wouldn't mind having answered:
(1) There's a weird tree that looks like the first boss (kinda) in a courtyard near the big armored soldier and the two knights throwing firebombs -- you can examine it, but "alas, it does nothing". Should I be doing anything here yet?
(2) If I need to build souls to level up a bit, where's the best spot to do this exactly? I have a bunch of missing enemies from repeatedly dying it seems...

To be fair, I agree with corrosivefrost here that it is a failure as a Strider follow-up/reboot. Osman/Cannon Dancer, for all its psychedelic weirdness, is a far better Strider than it is.

That doesn't mean that it's a bad game, however. Probably not worth full price, though.

I paid about $10 and I thought that was too much.

Caerith

the gargoyles

Seriously. Levels and stats and bigger and shinier gear is just a distraction. Going SL1 is the best way to learn the core mechanics of the game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, what I was about to miss if I launched Civ5 just before checking the thread tonight...

Fantomena, I don't want to rub more salt on what has already been said, but... come on.
Of course I cannot expect some kind of journalism ethics from an amateur blogger, but still.

I'm a blogger too, even if mine is a satirical one so I assume devs aren't super eager to give me keys risking to be shitted upon just for a couple of good ol' laughs. So I don't even try to obtain keys, even though I could actually share my site numbers and they're kinda good all things considered.

My blog has received two keys in 4 years.
The first was VVVVVV from Terry Cavanagh himself, who found our review of VVVVVV and read it translated with Google Translate (blog is in Italian), and laughed so hard he actually wanted to reward us with what he could at the time.
The second was MirrorMoon EP, directly from its dev: the only time I ever asked for a key, and just because those devs are actual readers of the blog, so I felt kind of "entitled" by some kind of "higher" relationship with them compared with other devs.

I couldn't give VVVVVV to the author of the review, because of course he had it already, so I just gave it away randomly to one of the other authors.
MirrorMoon EP, I took it for myself, and I wrote about it what I believe is my best review ever, because, you know, I felt entitled to work ten times harder for people who basically lost 10€ (I would have bought it no matter what) to give me the opportunity to shit upon their game - and I didn't because the game is great.

This said: asking for multiple keys is bad. Is really bad. No matter what you're going to do with them, not if you trade them, not if you sell them, not even if you're charitying them.
Those people make a living from their games. It's not like you're asking for 10 Assassins Creed keys. Who cares about them, it's Ubi, they have plenty of money.
You're asking for Wasteland keys, Broforce keys and so on.
This, I cannot understand.
How could someone overlook such essential detail?
Damn, Terry is the man. I feel bad for not liking VVVVVV as much as I should, despite enjoying what little I played of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom