• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon
Echo of the Wilds

keBLY2j.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Copons

Have you tried a different resolution? I know when I got Windows 7 I was having issues with refresh rate on non-native resolutions for the monitor until AMD finally released a video driver update.

When I went to NVIDA I was able to use the nVidia Control Panel to set everything up as I wanted and it got rid of any blurriness.

Uuuh, focus in the sense of which window is currently active. :)

Basically, every now and then:
with Chrome the border turns grey and if I'm writing something it stops "listening" to my keyboard for like a fraction of second, then goes back normal (by itself), aka the window regain focus;
with full screen games (noticed in Monaco and OFDP) every now and then I simply go back to the desktop, and to go back to the game I need to click on the icon in the Win bar.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Skyrim question: Can anyone tell me if using the console disables achievements? I want to try a couple things like making my Followers dual wield (I hate how they don't do it automatically) and resetting some of my perk points so I can try one-handed weapon perks vs two-handed perks. I won't do it if it disables my achievements though.

Not in my experience. I always increase my inventory capacity by 100 units whenever I hit the cap, haha.

Edit: But this may have changed since I last earned an achievement.

Skyrim question: Can anyone tell me if using the console disables achievements? I want to try a couple things like making my Followers dual wield (I hate how they don't do it automatically) and resetting some of my perk points so I can try one-handed weapon perks vs two-handed perks. I won't do it if it disables my achievements though.
It does for the remainder of the session I believe. So you can use the commands, save, restart the game, and be fine.

Knurek

My greenlight collection got totally decimated by this batch of 75, so I'm down to 39 games remaining. I've voted on everything on Greenlight, around 2700 titles in total. If you're looking for great games on greenlight that haven't made the cut yet, but you don't want to wade through random garbage, click here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179798494

Can I suggest adding both DROD: The Second Sky and DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder to that list? They might look amateurish, but DROD games are bar none the best puzzle games available on PC. with first three entries being good enough for GOG

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
dks397z.jpg

Prison Architect looks like fun. I don't support Early Access games, though. Too bad it's not finished. I also think it's shameful to have a sale on an alpha build.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
8BitBoy's jump sound is so similar to Mario's that it hurts. Still will buy
when it's bundled.

Also, Arcadecraft looks kind of cool. Should have been called Arcade Tycoon, though.

O'Cells is the SimAnt game I've needed for a long time.

Ascendant, Flashout 2, Grapple Knight, Grave, KartSim, Momodora, Retro World, Space Corp Tycoon, The Terminal, and XenoRaptor all look kinda interesting. The rest aren't really that appealing to me.

Sky Nations is literally Minecraft.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
In Prison Architect's defense. their "Early Access" build is more polished and full of content than 90% of actual games released these days.

I bet. It looks great. That's why I'm hurting to avoid it. Maybe if I can get it for really cheap somewhere.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Uuuh, focus in the sense of which window is currently active. :)

Basically, every now and then:
with Chrome the border turns grey and if I'm writing something it stops "listening" to my keyboard for like a fraction of second, then goes back normal (by itself), aka the window regain focus;
with full screen games (noticed in Monaco and OFDP) every now and then I simply go back to the desktop, and to go back to the game I need to click on the icon in the Win bar.

Ah, it's switching to inactive windows. I guess I haven't heard it called focus in such a long time I blanked on that meaning.

Usually it's one of two things in my experience;

Wifeless mouse and/or keyboard are losing connection and then attempting to reconnect which causes their software to try and start up, taking away control for a second.

Usually an anti-virus or an upgrader program (especially awful HP bloatware). Next time it happens try looking through your processes in Task Manager and see if anything is currently running that doesn't need to be or is simply an updater that you don't really need like Apple's updater since you can just do that in iTunes/Quicktime instead.

As for a log in that regard, I have no idea where to find such a thing that tracks the history of active to inactive, but I'm sure it exists. Good luck finding it and solving your problem.

Tellaerin

Woo! I'm happy RetroWorld was Greenlit. Still bummed that this guy couldn't raise funding on Kickstarter while some projects that are complete crap get people pledging money hand over fist, so I'm glad he's continuing with it in spite of that. It's probably the closest we'll get to seeing Retro Game Challenge on the PC, but it actually looks more substantial than RGC from what I've seen so far. Really looking forward to this.

Bboy AJ

Shameful to have a sale ... but you'll pick it up cheap somewhere?
Confused and not even drunk :<

Shameful to have a sale while it's in Alpha stage. I'll wait until it's gold before grabbing it, sale or not. Sucks because the game looks interesting!

Lomax

Well SteamGAF, meet the newly-released Early Access title called Caribbean!. If it looks familiar, that's because it's obviously based upon Mount&Blade. Right now, it looks to be nothing more than a rather ambitious mod of some kind.
(Any comparison between the title "Caribbean!" and Firaxis' "Sid Meier's Pirates!" is purely concidental, I'm sure.)

It purports to be an open world/sandbox Pirate-venture "that blends the most engaging melee and firearms combat with naval battles, detailed crew management and the deep atmosphere of the pirate era." (from the Store page).

I'd suggest tempering any expectations you may have right now, because the developer of Caribbean! previously made Eador: Master of the Broken World, a flawed remake/update of their previous game, Eador: Genesis (not on Steam).

Mount & Blade with a pirate theme sounds like it could be the greatest thing ever. But Eador isn't exactly a similar genre.

dks397z.jpg

Prison Architect looks like fun. I don't support Early Access games, though. Too bad it's not finished. I also think it's shameful to have a sale on an alpha build.

you dont buy games because of a pretty arbitrary definition of it put on it by the developers?

it has more to it then hundreds of games on steam that are "complete"

but yeah you show them!

Twinduct

Shameful to have a sale while it's in Alpha stage. I'll wait until it's gold before grabbing it, sale or not. Sucks because the game looks interesting!

Ah ok, yeah I get where you are coming from. Actually bought the game during Alpha 1 :s
But stopped playing around Alpha 4 so not to spoil the game further.

Woo! I'm happy RetroWorld was Greenlit. Still bummed that this guy couldn't raise funding on Kickstarter while some projects that are complete crap get people pledging money hand over fist, so I'm glad he's continuing with it in spite of that. It's probably the closest we'll get to seeing Retro Game Challenge on the PC, but it actually looks more substantial than RGC from what I've seen so far. Really looking forward to this.

Thanks for posting it. Would have missed it otherwise.

I love Retro Game Challenge and Retro World looks like a deeper version of it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Repost, because I have 10-20 keys (depending on the demand) to give away. Same rules as always. State your interest for the key in the game thread (listed below), since I wont check the Steam thread constantly and please, please write some impressions in the coming 3-4 days over in that game thread for others to read some more opinions that dont only come from myself. Feel free to post in the Steam thread as well if you like the game. Its hard getting people interested in these small games, so you can help out a dev by just posting a few lines of impressions! No hidden further costs :p Description follows:

The game is currently not on Steam, but since some people here liked my recommendations, I'll just throw my recommendation and Paywhatyouwant offer in here as well:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833

My initial impressions:
I am enjoying this game immensely because of its level structure. I expected more of a simulation type game, but what it feels like is more of a very accessable turn based puzzle game with simulation game mechanics. Its hard to describe, because Cubesis is quite... unusual and wacky (in a good way). You are building buildings, growing crops and terraforming the land by sacrificing your villagers, which you are gaining via keeping your city healthy, supported with food, not flooded and not frozen over. The game mechanics are rather simple while also offering enough depth to be interesting, for example taking care of the temperature or sea level by appeasing gods to allow for walking on the ground of the sea or to water fields to allow for growing crops.
Cubesis is quite a bit less complex than "proper" simulation games, but the Cubesis developers knew how to play to their strength. Instead of a huge focus on randomized Free Play (where they cant possibly compete with something like Banished which is way more intricate, but is still being offered as an extra level), they have 24 levels (including the tutorial levels) that need to be conquered and I am incredibly enjoying terraforming the land to achieve the goals set in each level. Banished is very likely the objectively better game, but for the time being and until I solve all the levels, I am enjoying Cubesis quite a bit more. I checked it out yesterday and couldnt stop playing until 4 hours later.

And an amateurish YT video I made of the gameplay with some control explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBhqVvF-O6E

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
dks397z.jpg

This reminds me, I need to finally play my copy. Got it last sale. (Or the one before that? I don't remember)

Bboy AJ

you dont buy games because of a pretty arbitrary definition of it put on it by the developers?

it has more to it then hundreds of games on steam that are "complete"

but yeah you show them!

If it's so "complete" and not an "arbitrary" definition, explain the spreadsheet of bugs out there. Or are we having a contest of which game is the buggiest? But hey, that's cool. Go ahead and herald in an era where we don't just preorder games, we pay for alpha games. Yeeeeaaaah Season Pass DLC and always online! Whoo!

Ah ok, yeah I get where you are coming from. Actually bought the game during Alpha 1 :s
But stopped playing around Alpha 4 so not to spoil the game further.

Also true. I don't want to get burned out on a game before it's even done.

Tellaerin

Would it have been better if they'd arbitrarily declared it feature-complete now (since it's apparently more than worthy of a full release), even though they have more ambitious plans for it, and then implement more stuff "post-release"? I'm not seeing the practical difference between those two scenarios. Why are you so hung up on the use of the word "alpha" here?

If it's so "complete" and not an "arbitrary" definition, explain the spreadsheet of bugs out there. Or are we having a contest of which game is the buggiest? But hey, that's cool. Go ahead and herald in an era where we don't just preorder games, we pay for alpha games. Yeeeeaaaah Season Pass DLC and always online! Whoo!

Hate to say this, but that's pretty much become the new standard for a lot of folks. And compared to some games that literally require a day 1 patch just to be playable (which is sadly more common than it should be), this particular "alpha" seems to be in pretty good shape.

Bboy AJ

Would it have been better if they'd arbitrarily declared it feature-complete now (since it's apparently more than worthy of a full release), even though they have more ambitious plans for it, and then implement more stuff "post-release"?

Yes.

I'm not seeing the practical difference between those two scenarios. Why are you so hung up on the use of the word "alpha" here?
Because that's what it's being sold as. I guarantee if I post about how buggy the game is, complain about crashing, etc., some chucklehead will tell to fuck off because it's in alpha.

I can say fairly confidently it's more bug free than most ubisoft games.

You're also paying for an alpha there, but that's okay because they didn't declare it one!

rookiejet

Are you just decrying the moniker "alpha" in this case? You acknowledge that the game looks as it is, and worth buying at that price. I am failing to sympathize with your principle here.

Also there's nothing "shameful" about buying or selling early access. Both parties are transacting willingly, with full knowledge of what's on offer and the risks involved.

Bboy AJ

I can say fairly confidently it's more bug free than most ubisoft games.

You're also paying for an alpha there, but that's okay because they didn't declare it one!
Are you keeping track of my purchases or are you just assuming I buy buggy games?

Also there's nothing "shameful" about buying or selling early access. Both parties are transacting willingly, with full knowledge of what's on offer and the risks involved.
Oh, so now there are risks and assumptions of risk. Now both parties are grown adults consenting to alpha. Yet somehow my dismissal of buying alpha games is me being a pedant. OK. Reactions to buying a game sold as "final" and a game sold as "alpha" will be different. And rightfully so. The fact that you're telling me "alpha" doesn't matter is a joke.

Copons

Ah, it's switching to inactive windows. I guess I haven't heard it called focus in such a long time I blanked on that meaning.

Usually it's one of two things in my experience;

Wifeless mouse and/or keyboard are losing connection and then attempting to reconnect which causes their software to try and start up, taking away control for a second.

Usually an anti-virus or an upgrader program (especially awful HP bloatware). Next time it happens try looking through your processes in Task Manager and see if anything is currently running that doesn't need to be or is simply an updater that you don't really need like Apple's updater since you can just do that in iTunes/Quicktime instead.

As for a log in that regard, I have no idea where to find such a thing that tracks the history of active to inactive, but I'm sure it exists. Good luck finding it and solving your problem.

Yup, I though to check the task manager but outside Win system processes, I just have AVG, Chrome and Steam processes that shouldn't be the culprit.
At first I thought something went wrong in some Chrome update, but then, as it happens in games too, I guess it's something else. :(

Bboy AJ

have you bought a game in the last like 3 years?

patches have changed a lot when it comes to initial qa

Alright, again, you're assuming I buy buggy games on day one. Are you keeping track of my purchases? Just call it quits now with all the assumptions. You are willing to give up your consumer rights by not only patronizing Early Access, not only defending the practice, but attacking someone who doesn't want to participate in it. Don't decry me for voting with my wallet.

You can buy me the game, though.

Hate to say this, but that's pretty much become the new standard for a lot of folks. And compared to some games that literally require a day 1 patch just to be playable (which is sadly more common than it should be), this particular "alpha" seems to be in pretty good shape.
It's a shame. I disagree with how things have progressed. So sure, maybe my purchase or boycott of Early Access won't mean anything. But I don't want to participate in something anti-consumer. I don't care if I miss out. I have more games than time.

mrgone

Thanks for posting it. Would have missed it otherwise.

I love Retro Game Challenge and Retro World looks like a deeper version of it.

Sweet! Takes a little bit of the sting away from XSEED abandoning the Retro Game Challenge series. I was really looking forward to Retro Game Challenge 2 :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I got Bloodrayne 1 and 2 but both games have issues. How do you guys set your Ps3 controllers to work on them?

Bloodrayne 1 has an issue with the ram which says its using 0.0 and BloodRayne 2 Cutscenes are black. -_-

Repost, because I have 10-20 keys (depending on the demand) to give away. Same rules as always. State your interest for the key in the game thread (listed below), since I wont check the Steam thread constantly and please, please write some impressions in the coming 3-4 days over in that game for others to readsome more opinions that dont only come from myself. Feel free to post in the Steam thread as well if you like the game. Its hard getting people interested in these small games, so you can help out a dev by just posting a few lines of impressions! No hidden further costs :p Description follows:

The game is currently not on Steam, but since some people here liked my recommendations, I'll just throw my recommendation and Paywhatyouwant offer in here as well:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833

My initial impressions:

And an amateurish YT video I made of the gameplay with some control explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBhqVvF-O6E

This looks awesome.

Grief.exe

dks397z.jpg

Why don't you support Early Access games? It's essentially a Kickstarter with far more tangible material.

Support the games you want to see developed, support those who will find success. Prison Architect is a perfect example as it probably wouldn't be developed if not for these type of initiatives.

I've loosely followed development and they have made massive process since they initially started on Early Access.

Early Access is probably my favorite thing to happen to Steam in recent years. I love seeing how games progress from an early stage to completion. Although, as has been said, I don't play them too much because I don't want to get burnt out by the time the game is "officially" done. Exceptions being Nuclear Throne and Spacebase DF-9.

nexen

Alright, again, you're assuming I buy buggy games on day one. Are you keeping track of my purchases? Just call it quits now with all the assumptions. You are willing to give up your consumer rights by not only patronizing Early Access, not only defending the practice, but attacking someone who doesn't want to participate in it. Don't decry me for voting with my wallet.

It's a shame. I disagree with how things have progressed. So sure, maybe my purchase or boycott of Early Access won't mean anything. But I don't want to participate in something anti-consumer. I don't care if I miss out. I have more games than time.
To me it seems that he's disagreeing with you calling it shameful, not with you not participating. It is clearly marked as Alpha, people know that usually equates to 'buggier' so I don't see what is shameful about it at all. The market will decide if people like this and are willing to participate or not, regardless of your personal preference.

This shit is just getting started though so I think you aren't going to like the future much.

edit: I happen to know for a fact that almost all retail games ship with very large spreadsheets of known bugs. Like thousands of them.

Unless you obsessively check bug forums for every game before a purchase or just straight up don't buy games, I can confidently say you've bought a game buggier than Prison Architect.

But you bought that game.

And you won't buy Prison Architect, regardless of your interest in it, solely because they were upfront with you about where they are in development, and you've some how misconstrued that as a negative.

Not in my experience. I always increase my inventory capacity by 100 units whenever I hit the cap, haha.

Edit: But this may have changed since I last earned an achievement.

It does for the remainder of the session I believe. So you can use the commands, save, restart the game, and be fine.

Thanks guys. That doesn't sound bad. And yeah lol my friend gives himself max carry weight capacity as well.

Why not get mods for those things?

Hmm, I should probably look into that. Although I figured it would be easier to just use the console.

aku:jiki

Unless you obsessively check bug forums for every game before a purchase or just straight up don't buy games, I can confidently say you've bought a game buggier than Prison Architect.

But you bought that game.

And you won't buy Prison Architect, regardless of your interest in it, solely because they were upfront with you about where they are in development, and you've some how misconstrued that as a negative.
When you buy a game that isn't labeled as a beta, the assumption is that it'll be a complete and fully playable experience. Using "welp everyone else does it lol" as an argument is, honestly, pretty stupid. That's not an argument for anything ever.

So most of us have made a few mistaken purchases, so what? Are we somehow obligated to keep making the same mistake just because it's a common one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom