• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Oh, holy shit, just beat the Cathedral in Isaac with half a heart remaining. I thought there was no way I'd be winning when I hit Whore of Babylon while Isaac had like 1/3 of his lifebar left, but some sort of magic prevented me from dying and I pulled it off, woo!

Didn't know that. I'm kind of shocked that they're $15 a pop too but hey if there's a market for it and people buy it then more power to them I guess.
These are volumes, not issues. Volumes are collections of issues.

Turfster

It's still kinda weird that the digital versions are the same price/more expensive than the print versions, even though the overhead is much smaller...
but then that's pretty much the same for most of the print industry moving to digital.

Oh, holy shit, just beat the Cathedral in Isaac with half a heart remaining. I thought there was no way I'd be winning when I hit Whore of Babylon while Isaac had like 1/3 of his lifebar left, but some sort of magic prevented me from dying and I pulled it off, woo!

I haven't read comics since I was a kid and even then I was only able to read what I was able to at a friend's house so my mistake!

Knurek

That is sadly true. Still I have a computer in storage that might have some of the original components of the source code but even if I do have that, going back and changing things will require lots of beta testing, and right now I'm already deep into my next game. I'll have a bigger update later this week/next week on the greenlight page.

Couldn't you just release the game is it is and just not charge more than $1 for it? I'm sure some people would like that +1.

Dr Dogg

Can I redeem UPlay codes on Steam?

Is this in regard to Child of Light? It's fine on UPlay. There was a day 1 patch and separate patches for the DLC and everything was hunky dory.

Really beautiful game with an interesting way of telling the story
rhyming couplet style
and a fun combat system that has a nice tactical slant. Normal difficulty is a bit walk in the park though so hard is where the challenge is at.

Evrain

The sun be damned if I'll ever be able to win Velvet Assassin... that game is almost my personal Wheelman. Thanks for Shadows, Dante!

Also, a piece of advice on DkS1: I've almost finished my NG run, with lots of grinding bringing me up to SL 91 (STR-DEX build). I feel like my weapons however (Quelaarg's Furysword+5 and Thunder Battle Axe+5) are now severely underpowered. Any advice on what I could or should upgrade and get? I'm dabbling in the Black Knight Greatsword, but the painstakingly slow attack animation is killing me.

mannerbot

The sun be damned if I'll ever be able to win Velvet Assassin... that game is almost my personal Wheelman. Thanks for Shadows, Dante!

Also, a piece of advice on DkS1: I've almost finished my NG run, with lots of grinding bringing me up to SL 91 (STR-DEX build). I feel like my weapons however (Quelaarg's Furysword+5 and Thunder Battle Axe+5) are now severely underpowered. Any advice on what I could or should upgrade and get? I'm dabbling in the Black Knight Greatsword, but the painstakingly slow attack animation is killing me.

Uh, well part of it is the fact that elemental upgrade paths (talking about your lightning battle axe) remove stat scaling from your weapons. Have you kind of just been leveling up blindly? You should really look at stat requirements for the weapons you want to use as well as the stats that they scale off of. I'd recommend the Claymore (fully upgraded on normal path) since you said you've been leveling str and dex, you can find it from a corpse on the dragon bridge in the Undead Burg.

Balder Side Sword and Silver Knight Spear are GOAT

Evrain

Uh, well part of it is the fact that elemental upgrade paths (talking about your lightning battle axe) remove stat scaling from your weapons. Have you kind of just been leveling up blindly? You should really look at stat requirements for the weapons you want to use as well as the stats that they scale off of. I'd recommend the Claymore (fully upgraded on normal path) since you said you've been leveling str and dex, you can find it from a corpse on the dragon bridge in the Undead Burg.
Err, well... yes. Mainly I've levelled up my STR, DEX, and with spare souls DEF and STA. So you suggest switching to normal weapons and play off stats scaling?

Balder Side Sword and Silver Knight Spear are GOAT
I have to double check them, a goat can not be wrong.

Tizoc

@Dr. Dogg- Hmm does the game have New Game+? I'd much rather play on a difficulty that makes the game more relaxing to play, though I wouldn't mind starting on Hard...

BTW, I take it there aren't any discount codes that are usable on Gamersgate anymore right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So this is weird.

Apparently in October of 2013, I won Dark Sector off JaseC on Modbot. Yay! Thanks JaseC. I redeemed it and added it to my database of games that I owned. I clearly have date added, October 8th, 2013.

About a week ago, FiveElementNinja put Dark Sector up on Modbot. I checked Steam. I don't own Dark Sector on Steam, so I entered for and won Dark Sector off FiveElementNinja. Thanks FiveElementNinja! I redeemed the key on Steam. The redemption worked fine and did not mark me as having owned the game.

3zDRAyI.png

Checking my Steam purchase history, the October adding of the game did not appear at all. I have no idea how this mix-up occurred. This makes me believe that I never redeemed JaseC's key or it did not redeem correctly. JaseC was one of ModBot's first beta testers, but this wasn't one of the beta test keys we used or anything, this was just a totally standard giveaway.

On the assumption that I did not redeem JaseC's key, I am giving it away again. If you win and it doesn't work... sorry!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Sector -- MB-6BBBA9346CE2B772 - Taken by oipic. 10 entrants total.

t1398811596z1.png

mannerbot

Err, well... yes. Mainly I've levelled up my STR, DEX, and with spare souls DEF and STA. So you suggest switching to normal weapons and play off stats scaling?

I have to double check them, a goat can not be wrong.

By DEF and STA do you mean vitality and endurance? I hope you haven't been leveling resistance. :p

And yes, if you've leveled up str and dex evenly then you should use a weapon that scales off of both stats. A Claymore is perfect for this. Basically, all of those points you've put into str and dex don't do anything for you when you're using your Lightning Battle Axe (and the points you've put into str are pretty much wasted when you're using the Furysword); if you're planning on using elemental weapons you usually just want to meet the minimum stat requirements and put all your points into vit/end.

dks397z.jpg

Prison Architect looks like fun. I don't support Early Access games, though. Too bad it's not finished. I also think it's shameful to have a sale on an alpha build.

I'd get it at that price, I bought it for the full amount when it came out and love it, extremely playable for an early access game, you could just buy it for cheap and not play it if that's your thing dude.

Extras

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

VVVVVV -- MB-657D153E4F6C829C - Taken by ShogunX. 2 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-F1144C1A85E6540F - Taken by En Ex. 1 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-3E386949C3DF497E

t1398812406z1.png

Dr Dogg

@Dr. Dogg- Hmm does the game have New Game+? I'd much rather play on a difficulty that makes the game more relaxing to play, though I wouldn't mind starting on Hard...

BTW, I take it there aren't any discount codes that are usable on Gamersgate anymore right?

I'm only up to to chapter 4 but Seda said in the OT after beating the final boss you can free roam to finish up sidequests or go into new game +. So I guess there's a mode but what carries over I don't know but the skill trees are massive. Edit: Or better still I'll just quote his post here

Just checked my game. After beating the final boss, you can still explore the world in its entirety to finish up sidequests and gather collectables, or you can 'reset' your file with a New Game + to go through the story again with stronger enemies while keeping your levels and such. Seems like 'maxing' out characters will require a New Game + as end-game enemy EXP is a tad low to finish out the skill paths. At the end of the game I was still several skill points away from 'maxing'.

There were a few sidequests I never got around to finishing, most of them resulted in gems and consumables although I wonder if I missed something significant. The sidequests usually involve finding and solving a puzzle or clearing out some enemies.

Difficulty wise doesn't effect how frantic the game is as it largely turn based but with a unified time bar. I've heard the battle system compared to Grandia but I've not played that to be able to compare but it's a bit like FF's ATB with an added cast time section on the end. Speed is more crucial than raw strength. Normal mode though so far I wasn't even getting hit so playing on hard felt more rewarding. The game is aimed at families though so bear that in mind with regards to difficulty.

I have no idea about any Gamersgate codes floating about but I think the 20% one for GMG works with this. I'll dig it out in a sec.,Edit: Apparently this one works FUSWJT-B1DU64-JBV8UY

Of course it will be on Steam probably at the same time (and seeing everyone loves to add to their game count ;)).

mannerbot

It's ok, I still took care of Gwyn. When I go back to my NG+ I'll change it up.

Yeah, it's just very far from optimal since the enchant upgrade path reduces the dex scaling to E. Even if you had a ton of int, you'd still be doing way more damage with a normal +15 and weapon buffs. A Falchion is basically the ideal candidate for a weapon buff as well, since the buff damage is applied with every hit and the swings are so fast.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd get it at that price, I bought it for the full amount when it came out and love it, extremely playable for an early access game, you could just buy it for cheap and not play it if that's your thing dude.
hmm i'm tempted

price seems right but for whatever reason i "need" it to be cheaper

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How else would they get all your money?

Maybe I'm not counting right, but the compendiums are 1-12 now, yeah? The "volume" collections are 1-25, yeah?

There's like 100 issues now. Surely 1-10 or something wouldn't be a huge chunk out of their money gain, yeah?

It just seems weird to go from 1-5 (IIRC) to issue 100-105.

oipic

On the assumption that I did not redeem JaseC's <Dark Sector> key, I am giving it away again. If you win and it doesn't work... sorry!

It worked a treat, Stump, so not so weird after all, I guess!

Dark Sector is unavailable for purchase in my region (well played, Australia), so this is much appreciated - thanks to you, and to Jase. Cheers.

Turfster

Maybe I'm not counting right, but the compendiums are 1-12 now, yeah? The "volume" collections are 1-25, yeah?

There's like 100 issues now. Surely 1-10 or something wouldn't be a huge chunk out of their money gain, yeah?

It just seems weird to go from 1-5 (IIRC) to issue 100-105.

Uh. Your count is... pretty off ;)
There's 21 volumes (ish, 21 comes out in 2 months and contains issues 121-126), and the compendiums are 8 volumes, so there's only 2 compendiums out.

Try out the large club.

I love the moveset and S rank scaling. Beast damage.

The 2-hand R2 + R2 decimates bosses.

Man I don't know how you do the club. I tested it and didn't find the moveset all that appealing. I'll have to try it in an area that isn't going to murder me.

In DS2? I've been enjoying my lightning bastard just fine.

Digging my Bastard as well. Only at +6 so far, but I'm decimating things so far.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so, so tempted to buy (and even play!) Child of Light, but there's no discount... I don't know what to do. I mean, this is something I am going to play, but with the amount of games I already have, it may not be too smart to do it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Couldn't you just release the game is it is and just not charge more than $1 for it? I'm sure some people would like that +1.

I could but...I dunno. Even one dollar games should get some kind of support, which I would never be able to provide with this build.

I feel so, so tempted to buy (and even play!) Child of Light, but there's no discount... I don't know what to do. I mean, this is something I am going to play, but with the amount of games I already have, it may not be too smart to do it.

GMG should have a 20% coupon you can apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom