• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catshade

is Morrowind worth it after putting almost 200 hours in Skyrim?

I really love TES lore, but I don't know if it worth it to invest my time in an older game after playing the sequel.

Worth it for the story and setting alone. Don't hesitate to download some mods to make the gameplay more palatable...

Played a beat MW myself with mods. I took very few pictures but here they are and yea lol some are NSFW

NSFW

http://min.us/mbsUmJOPiiGrgf

a19feee586.png

Vastag

Talking about nuuvem, I'm having problems adding games to my cart using the brazilian servers of Hola vpn, do any other country's servers work?

titch

Happy Easter Monday

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Volt -- MB-DBC6224341F0F9E4 - Taken by Belgarion. 3 entrants total.
Just Cause Collection -- MB-F2D05109F55A8EE7 - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.
Great Permutator -- MB-680EAB0339C11F57 - Taken by Accoun. 3 entrants total.
Shutter -- MB-2C14F9E553D2AB4C - Taken by Accoun. 3 entrants total.
Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition -- MB-835B4226139A1B76 - Taken by baterism. 2 entrants total.
Hitman Absolution Elite Edition -- MB-97E73F7433C2C97B - Taken by S1n1st3r. 5 entrants total.
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-D9AF85B8FF1AB8BE - Taken by kurahador. 5 entrants total.

t1428327469z1.png

I see so many giveaways with manual block lists. How do you all identify who is abusing giveaways? How do you decide who to block? I figure it might be easy for Stump to do that, but for the rest of us mortals it seems to me like you'd have to be paying a lot of attention and delibrately keeping track of things for a while to build a personal "shit list"...

dex3108

Zky this is something that could interest you but DON'T CLICK ON THE LINK.

Fear of spiders became part of our DNA during evolution, say scientists

Arachnophobia could be a product of human evolution, according to new research.Spiders presented such a great danger to humans during the early evolutionary stages that a fear of the species became part of our DNA.
In Africa, early in human evolution, those with a keen ability to spot the creatures outlived their less wary counterparts, according to The Sunday Times.

Joshua New of Columbia University in New York said: “A number of spider species with potent, vertebrate-specific venoms populated Africa long before hominoids... and have co-existed there for tens of millions of years.”
“Humans were at perennial, unpredictable and significant risk of encountering highly venomous spiders in their ancestral environments.
“Even when not fatal, a black widow spider bite in the ancestral world could leave one incapacitated for days or even weeks, terribly exposed to dangers.”

The study tested how quickly people could spot a spider when presented with a number of other images.Of the 252 people reviewed in the study, most recognised the spiders much quicker than other images known to induce fear, such as flies and needles.
There are, however, other theories that have been suggested to explain human fear of spiders.

Plymouth University Psychology professor, Jon May, suggested that it is their angular legs, dark colours and unpredictable movements that make archnids so unpalatable to humans.Professor May said: “Spiders just tick all these boxes, and like any phobia, when it builds up in someone’s mind they can become scared even seeing a picture.”We like bright-coloured butterflies and ladybirds, but spiders are dark coloured with long angular legs – and the shape and colour both have strong negative associations.“We are also very sensitive to seeing things moving out of the corner of our eye and immediately notice it, and insects move quickly and unpredictably.”

In contrast to the research from Columbia University, May has also suggested that this fear is developed through social conditioning , as children are much more likely to become arachnophobic if they see parents or siblings reacting to the creatures in a certain way.

P.S. Is today Square Enix reveal?

_hekk05

Banned
Talking about nuuvem, I'm having problems adding games to my cart using the brazilian servers of Hola vpn, do any other country's servers work?

Some people found better results with other South American countries.

Using FlyVPN is less of a hassle tho

So, There Came an Echo seems to have been forgotten pretty quickly.
OT has been dead for a while despite that massive giveaway. I wonder how that turned out for him.
Did anyone here beat it?

Try adding the games to your cart without the VPN activated first. Only activate it when ready to checkout. I think I also had to use Facebook login to create an account cause it didn't work otherwise for me.

Tenrius

yeah, i dunno about samaritan paradox

there's something to be said for its michael clayton/constant gardener -esque political thriller stuff. it's intriguing in a way few videogames are and the music and the swedish setting and the writing work pretty well to sell that mood. the cryptography thing also makes sense within that context, and it's a cool little way of making sure that some of the puzzles "make sense" within the game's universe

the problem is that most of the puzzles themselves have been really awkward so far. the game boldly assumes you're not an uncultured dumbo like i am, which i guess is fine but it's not like it's asking you to do any sort of interesting deduction. it's like asking you what's the capital of x country but obfuscating that question a bit. while i'm not against the game treating you like a cultured, fully fledged adult (i'm not any of these things), it's not really taxing your brain, it's just random trivia, asked in a bit more cryptic way.

and some of the puzzles are just damn arbitrary. there's an early puzzle in which you have to turn a statue in the directions of some poem. apparently you're supposed to cycle between clockwise and counter clockwise but there was no indication anywhere of that, so i was stuck doing the right combination but in the wrong "way".

had to check up a guide only to find out about that. i end up looking up answers in a guide really often because most of the puzzles are like this. sometimes it's a more pixelhunty thing, or having to "use" instead of "look", something that should've just progressed with the puzzle either (the whole portal 2 ending left click/right click thing). or you'll have to talk to someone to exhaust their dialogue before the main character actually allows you to progress

you almost always solve it in your head, but there's something blocking you from progressing in how the puzzles are designed. you know, unless it's asking me for like musical trivia or that sort of crap.

it's pretty bad, really. it's hardcore in that shitty way that i don't think anyone ever really liked, and it's a pity because the story's actually really compelling so far. lots of mystery and intrigue and it sounds like it's going dark places which is not always the type of thing you'd expect from adventure games

imma keep playing, guide in hand, and at least comment on how the story unfolds.

well yea if you played the game you would vote for less shit characters...

I agree. The game did plenty of interesting things with its story, but the puzzles were not that good and I also didn't care all that much for the ending.

OT has been dead for a while despite that massive giveaway. I wonder how that turned out for him.
Did anyone here beat it?
I tried playing it a couple times, but voice commands wouldnt work properly with crappy laptop mic so I gave up and uninstalled it :(

I think the whole voice control thing might not have been a good idea but it seems the game offers no alternative.

Knurek

Did anyone here beat it?

Steamspy lists 15k +/- 5k owners, do we have a number on how many people got the game for free from GAF?

titch

I see so many giveaways with manual block lists. How do you all identify who is abusing giveaways? How do you decide who to block? I figure it might be easy for Stump to do that, but for the rest of us morals it seems to me like you'd have to be paying a lot of attention and delibrately keeping track of things for a while to build a personal "shit list"...

It comes up with that if you use the default blocklist used by modbot - i don't add anyone extra to it.

Did anyone here beat it?

I couldnt get past the second mission due to running w7 32bit - going 64bit soon and will defo be going back to it - i hope they are working on DLC for it as far as i read it wall pretty well received.

Unfortunately the next big thing is always just round the corner and even the best games are left pretty quickly IMO.

Bigby

Steamspy lists 15k +/- 5k owners, do we have a number on how many people got the game for free from GAF?

9k maybe? But I doubt everyone redeemed it.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I loved the soundtrack, I'll buy it when I have some money.

Tizoc

Uh is the pop in/up of objects in DoA 5 normal?

Got VSync active on it which makes it run at near 60 FPS in-game, while menus are 30 FPS

Game runs and looks good, but it is gonna take some time for me to get a hang of the gameplay :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Uh is the pop in/up of objects in DoA 5 normal?

Got VSync active on it which makes it run at near 60 FPS in-game, while menus are 30 FPS

Game runs and looks good, but it is gonna take some time for me to get a hang of the gameplay :p
play the tutorial. As for the framerate being 30 on menu and intro and outro animations that is normal. Pop in isnt too bad but it does happen normally.

I tried playing it a couple times, but voice commands wouldnt work properly with crappy laptop mic so I gave up and uninstalled it :(

I think the whole voice control thing might not have been a good idea but it seems the game offers no alternative.

I'm sort of the same. My headset broke a while back and I haven't felt the need to replace it, but trying Echo with the mouse controls was an exercise in frustration. They really didn't work well, often at all.

I can't shake the feeling had more emphasis been put on the control system it would have done a lot better. The music, the setting, the story were all fantastic, it was just let down by the controls.

MadGear

Did anyone here beat it?

Yeah I did, but honestly didn't like it that much. Voice controls worked surprisingly well and at least in my case the number of recognized commands outweighs the number of not recognized ones. Sadly the voice recognition still isn't as robust as you would want it to and therefore I had to re-issue certain commands 2-3 times and this still happened frequent enough for me to actually get annoyed by it - its just not the same as simply pressing a button again. Luckily you don't need to play it this way but when using mouse and keyboard you are painfully aware that the game isn't designed to be played like this. Using these controls the gameplay feels limiting much like many of these mobile games that got ported to another platform and don't take advantage of proper input devices. The story however is actually OK and the voice acting is superb. Without this i doubt that I would have finished the game. Overall I honestly think it could have been a much better game if it wasn't designed around voice controls.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kudos to JAW for not making the Steam overlay trigger the pause screen in Abe HD. It makes checking the secret location... locations much less of a hassle.

Yeah I did, but honestly didn't like it that much. Voice controls worked surprisingly well and at least in my case the number of recognized commands outweighs the number of not recognized ones. Sadly the voice recognition still isn't as robust as you would want it to and therefore I had to re-issue certain commands 2-3 times and this still happened frequent enough for me to actually get annoyed by it - its just not the same as simply pressing a button again. Luckily you don't need to play it this way but when using mouse and keyboard you are painfully aware that the game isn't designed to be played like this. Using these controls the gameplay feels limiting much like many of these mobile games that got ported to another platform and don't take advantage of proper input devices. The story however is actually OK and the voice acting is superb. Without this i doubt that I would have finished the game. Overall I honestly think it could have been a much better game if it wasn't designed around voice controls.

How long did it take you?
I hear it's around 12-13 hours.

I can't resist buying Dark Souls 2 again, I never got around to buying the dlc and I have almost 6 euros of card money so I'll pull the trigger.
Even if it's not the best in the franchise there's not much else out there that even compares for me.
I need something to distract me until TW3 comes out and the stuff I'm playing right now isn't cutting it.
I wish XSeed would just release Tits 2 already.

shockdude

Did anyone here beat it?
Started it the other day. Voice commands are definitely one of the coolest gimmicks I've ever used. It doesn't seem like a very deep RTS, but I don't play many RTSs and I'm just in it for the novelty of "say things and stuff happens."
I'm using my laptop's built in mic, and the voice recognition work well enough. I used an online voice recorder to check my mic volume and settled on +20dB, which is just enough to pick up my voice without any background hiss.
Also, being able to customize voice commands is great.
If you have a mic and want to feel awesome, get There Came an Echo.

Maniac

Banned
That classic Ubi bug testing.

Fun fact: There's basically an ocean beneath R6: Siege's "House" map.

Good stuff.

And yeah, a similar bug happened to me in Black Flag half a dozen times. I'd fall through the ground and often end up swimming in subterranean water :p
Of my steamgaf friends, there are twenty something people with less than 5 hours played on PoE(not counting JaseC), come on people!
Atleast they bought it and supported Obsidian!
Yes, the journals look amazing. I really want to start writing a bit everyday. And some math/stats/science because I love graphs.

Graphs hurt my brain.

;(

But yeah, they look great. Give 'em 'ere.

Of my steamgaf friends, there are twenty something people with less than 5 hours played on PoE(not counting JaseC), come on people!
I was waiting for the patch, got tired of waiting and started Tits instead, hopefully PoE is bug free when I finish Tits.

Don't judge me, I like tits

You're not missing much. It's a very dated, clunky game filled with bothersome environmental puzzles.
I really loved Half-Life back in the day. It was one of the very first FPS for me with a world that felt real and nut just shooting-arena after shooting-arena.
But I totally agree with you. It is in fact 17 years old and a lot has changed.

Holy Smokes. 17 years. I still remember playing it when it was new and talking with buddies how cool it was.
But I'm not a man. Attack him instead.^
M'Lady *Tipping fedora furiously intensifies
Also liar liar pants on fire! There are only sausages on the web, no buns. Everyone knows that.
You people make me sick, the Half-Life series is some of the best video gaming a person can partake in.
It was such a great game but when you haven't played it in its prime there is not much going for it nowadays. I am glad I can still have fun with it.

On that, I think after finishing the episodes I am gonna play the Black Mesa "Remaster" of Half-Life 1.
I've actually had more fun playing the old Star Wars: Dark Forces (1 & 2) games than any of Half Life 1 or its absolutely horrible expansions.
What. The. Heck.

Blue Shift sucks and is like a fan campaign but Opposing Force is one of the best add-ons of all time. All time!

RS4-

One of these days I'll actually finish HL2. You know how far I got? Maybe the part where you get to the first head crab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom