• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's look at Overwatch. Character roster full of diverse, spunky and entertaining personalities, each with their own interesting ability.

Let's look at WildStar. Failure of an MMO, pretty decent game, questionable art style (I like it).

Let's look at Borderlands. Spongey enemies, LOL SO RANDUMB XD humour, bad gunplay.

Let's look at League of Legend, DOTA 2, etc. Decent games (the best or the worst shit ever according to some people) with communities that are more cancerous than a toxic waste plant.

Now, let's describe those to a group of people who have never heard of these things, or seen them.

They will throw every single idea in a blender, but not before mixing each of them with water.

What we get, is Battleborn.

And Battleborn?

It's fucking awful. From the colorful bleeped cusses and awful humour of "Oscar Mike", to the grating voice and personality of characters like "Thorn", the character roster already seems like a mishmash of marketing room think tanks on how to make the most generic, least marketable characters they could think of.

The art style is awful. Seriously, look at this. They've taken WildStar's cartoon style and made it even LESS detailed.

battleborn_2016_04_13sdsr0.png

(That's at 95 for FOV. Look how fucking huge that gun is!)

For any character with a gun, shit gets REALLY bad. The enemies in this - both NPCs and players - are given extraordinarily high health pools. You are stuck firing clip after clip after clip into enemies to do damage, while others wail around with melee weapons, bows, etc. It's not unfair, I understand the issue with creating powerful guns in a game like this - but why have them at all if they're going to feel like a level 1 Borderlands 2 weapon fighting against the final boss?

The entirety of this, mixed with the awful UI and marketing means it was no surprise to me that it took well over 5 minutes to get into a match.

Battleborn is bad. Unforgivably bad. It is a waste of talent that took the generic idea of "MOBAFPS" and mixed it with Gearbox's absolute worst parts - balancing, writing, and aesthetics.

Please, do yourself a favor. If you have this pre-ordered, leave your herd of unicorns and cancel it. Don't waste your money.

Battleborn? It fucking sucks.

zkylon

zkylewd
yipes that looks pretty rough

i feel bad for gearbox, i used to admire them a whole lot back when they were making the brothers in arms games

Yep, Dark Souls 3 is dope.
Abyss Watcher
was a great momenet. Real fun to dodge. I'm surprised how much a breeze it is for me with puny, non-upgraded armor and a fire-imbused Estoc +3. Love the vista at high towers and the areas themselves. Thankfully I get much less ganked by AI. Human invasions on the other hand... I got rekt. I don't care about PvP but jolly co-op is awesome! Love fighting bosses and help others clean areas.

I've only seen some of Giant Bomb playing Battleborn, but the giant gun stuff just kills me. I don't know why they think covering 1/3 of the screen at all times was a good idea.
what i don't get is they didn't make the game a borderlands spinoff

It would tarnish the prestigous Tales From the Borderlands brand.

tmarg

Has killing a boss at the same time they kill you always counted as a kill in souls games? For some reason I feel like it didn't, even though I'm not sure I've ever had it come up until now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what i don't get is they didn't make the game a borderlands spinoff

My guess would be that Borderlands: MOBA Edition was the original idea but the decision was later made to make the game a new IP out of concern that a poor reception could damage the popularity of the brand. Everything else Gearbox has developed is a modest success at best, so naturally it'd want to protect its golden goose.

Board games fans, rejoice. After Tabletopia two weeks ago, we now have Twilight Struggle on Steam.

I haven't had time to really try it, but it seems the closed beta was quite good, so I'm optimistic about this digital version.

data

Uh. Apparently I've sold more than 200 items this year and if I want to sell any more I'll have to fill out a form with all of my info. What? Why? Does the info need to be correct?

tmarg

Uh. Apparently I've sold more than 200 items this year and if I want to sell any more I'll have to fill out a form with all of my info. What? Why? Does the info need to be correct?

I believe it's for tax reasons. If you aren't in the US, I believe you can just tell them that and they'll leave you alone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I believe it's for tax reasons. If you aren't in the US, I believe you can just tell them that and they'll leave you alone.

Yeah, if you're not a US resident for tax purposes, you just "sign" a digital form declaring as much and you're never bothered again... unless you have a transaction from the US store in your account history, in which case you'll have to prove you're not a US resident.

They will throw every single idea in a blender, but not before mixing each of them with water.

What we get, is Battleborn.

And Battleborn?

Battleborn? It fucking sucks.

Echoing most of this post since pretty much all of this shit is on point.

Battleborn is some of the most incoherent bullshit I have ever played. 1/3rd of your screen space is gun or bow in my case. Colors are there to just have color because "IT'S A MOBA SO WE GOTTA HAVE COLOR EVEN IF IT DOESN'T AESTHETICALLY MAKE ANY SENSE." while the character art direction makes me sad as all hell. I complained about League of Legends art but some of this stuff takes the cake.

Talking about one of the characters in question, Thorn. There is lanky and then there is being a goddamn noodle person. I picked her because he Thorn and she uses a bow? Sure matches the name Leafhopper nicely but, damn her design.

The game itself has some dry ass humor which I wasn't a fan of in Borderlands to begin with but, just seems even worse here coupled with just fucking chaos in the way games get played out. Everything just starts popping off and you can't see much of fucking anything.

I may not like Borderlands but, I hope they go back to making that soon. Jesus. 1 game was enough. There is a chance to be a decent game here but even with the field of view maxed out it feels cluttered as fuck.

This is with FOV at 100 (the highest it will go mind you.)

Tellaerin

I just logged into Steam again, and it's queued up all those 0 byte updates for the second time tonight. I'd love to know what's going on.

Edit: And now it's doing actual downloads, anywhere from 9 to 200+ meg depending on the game. The hell, Steam?

Talking about one of the characters in question, Thorn. There is lanky and then there is being a goddamn noodle person. I picked her because he Thorn and she uses a bow? Sure matches the name Leafhopper nicely but, damn her design.

I kinda like Toby, but that's probably because he looks kinda like a cheap Prinny knockoff. Apart from that, eugh.

sadblob

$17 is a lot, will wait for further discount. I wonder how much time until we learn it's a bad port with a lot of problems, hopefully never.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Starfringe: Adversus -- MB-F1E8A2C271E218CF - Taken by fuzzy123
You Are Not A Banana -- MB-66A8978CAC8739A4 - Taken by Saty

these should work... but if not /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom