• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Z0037582.jpg

Nzyme32

I mean he hired Inti Creates

and also makers of mega man 9 and 10. Seems like he hired the right folks to make MN9 by all accounts so who knows where the faults lie. But if the man can't even put up a damn Mario Maker level without the pitchforks being brought out then who is the real monster here?

mind you, i think he's been sneaky about this whole thing yet if you didn't want to take on the risks normally associated with helping fund a game then, well, don't take that risk because a long and troubled development cycle is possible with every game regardless of who is making it.

For sure. My point is, I have had no reason to be disappointed with that decision for every thing I've supported including the things that have turned out worse or unexpected, till I finally got to a product that still hasn't released - I'm still happy to take the risk even with MN9, but that's no reason to dismiss ineptitude when I see it and call it as such and a regret in retrospect.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Is The Secret World any good?

It's on sale

How do you feel about MMORPGs you can play like a single player game?

I enjoyed:

The monster designs. Lots of nice looking critters.
The skill design is purely additive, meaning you can max out everything. No wrong choices, respeccing just means choosing what's active.
The voice acting, and the writing in general. Never really got invested in the overall story though.

I wasn't a big fan of:
The fact that it's a MMORPG, and thus;
The game world never changes or reacts.
There's a delay to everything you do.
It's possible to beat a big bad boss monster and have it respawn on you while you check your loot. Breaks what little immersion there is.
The inventory system is very deliberately restricted, and deciding what's worth keeping eventually becomes a giant chore. Like, that's the reason I haven't come back to it, I have to rearrange my inventory.
It's obviously a big time sink.

I mean, I paid ten bucks for it last time it was on sale and feel like I got my moneys worth even though I only ever got to the second world map. It does contemporary world collides with supernatural Secret World really well. But I always wished it had been a single player game since all the online aspects mostly seemed like drawbacks rather than assets.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
wtf is this

YrcG0QH.png

I enjoyed:

The skill design is purely additive, meaning you can max out everything. No wrong choices, respeccing just means choosing what's active.
The voice acting, and the writing in general. Never really got invested in the overall story though.

I wasn't a big fan of:
It's possible to beat a big bad boss monster and have it respawn on you while you check your loot. Breaks what little immersion there is.
The inventory system is very deliberately restricted, and deciding what's worth keeping eventually becomes a giant chore. Like, that's the reason I haven't come back to it, I have to rearrange my inventory.

I mean, I paid ten bucks for it last time it was on sale and feel like I got my moneys worth even though I only ever got to the second world map. It does contemporary world collides with supernatural Secret World really well. But I always wished it had been a single player game since all the online aspects mostly seemed like drawbacks rather than assets.

Sounds decent to me, elder scrolls online is basically a single player mmo

Balthuk

I enjoyed:

I wasn't a big fan of:

Yep pretty spot on. What you get with Secret World is very good writing, quest lines, quest design etc. Quests are top notch and pretty varied. Combat is not something to write about, very stale.
I'd recommend you watch/read a full review in order to understand these points.
TLDR: TOP notch quests, very good writing and voice acting, bad combat and meh everything else.
To anyone being on the fence, I'd recommend this game. Just to be sure that the people who will enjoy it will get to play it.

Sounds decent to me, elder scrolls online is basically a single player mmo

Its high points are more like a fallout's or an rpg's (just in the writing,world,questing aspects)

wtf is this

YrcG0QH.png

Ideally, the owner probably buys bulk penny bundles or whatever and wants to rake in the profits from an idlenet for cards. I have a feeling this is against Steam's TOS in some way, but I can't be bothered to check. The darker version of this would be giving out illicit keys.

Doubt it's worth messing with either way, all for some bundle-tier games that no one really wants anyways.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ideally, the owner probably buys bulk penny bundles or whatever and wants to rake in the profits from an idlenet for cards. I have a feeling this is against Steam's TOS in some way, but I can't be bothered to check. The darker version of this would be giving out illicit keys.

Doubt it's worth messing with either way, all for some bundle-tier games that no one really wants anyways.

They're a "developer".

Jazz573

Since I'm feeling generous I'm giving something away. What I'm giving away is a free Steam key, for my favorite VN. I got it for free, because I purchased the non-Steam version on MG, back when it first released in English

So, without any further ado, I present you my raffle for Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning. I hope whoever wins will enjoy it. I sure did. And even if you don't win, I HIGHLY suggest you play it at some point.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jazz573, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning Steam Edition -- MB-6370E3344CBAB5A4 - Taken by Annubis. 36 entrants total.

t1461029027z1.png

Edit: Please only enter if you actually plan on playing it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
wtf is this

YrcG0QH.png

Most likely this is their way of flipping a bulk key order into Steam wallet, which they're probably using to buy new games and flipping them at a profit. Some folks on G2A are selling 10,000 bundle keys for $0.05 each. Assuming an average of 4 cards per title, even at $0.02 average profit per card you've just made $300 profit, possibly more if you get foils, etc.

Take that wallet money, buy something like Dark Souls III or whatever the latest game is that hasn't been discounted yet and has a high price, and sell the Steam gift on G2A to further increase your profits and liquidate it back to cash.

Seems like a lot of work, but I get it. What strikes me as weird is that they're not just making their own alt accounts with bots that can automatically farm cards and trade them back. Introducing the human element to this process adds a seemingly unnecessary amount of work.

They're a "developer".

Sure they are.

Although I guess they might be able to bilk the Steam marketplace by selling mass quantities of their game's own cards, thereby cutting [bundle site] out of the equation and going direct to the source. Though I'm not so sure whether Steam market users would still buy cards for something that is essentially a dummy game.

I still expect Valve to shut it down.
Most likely this is their way of flipping a bulk key order into Steam wallet, which they're probably using to buy new games and flipping them at a profit. Some folks on G2A are selling 10,000 bundle keys for $0.05 each. Assuming an average of 4 cards per title, even at $0.02 average profit per card you've just made $300 profit, possibly more if you get foils, etc.

Take that wallet money, buy something like Dark Souls III or whatever the latest game is that hasn't been discounted yet and has a high price, and sell the Steam gift on G2A to further increase your profits.

Seems like a lot of work, but I get it. What strikes me as weird is that they're not just making their own alt accounts with bots that can automatically farm cards and trade them back. Introducing the human element to this process adds a seemingly unnecessary amount of work.
Valve has to be getting better at finding these guys.

There's even bot "review accounts," that just mass-review/idle games. There was a dude on SteamGAF that had his review stolen by one of them; don't remember the name, unfortunately. The bot had a weird habit of idling games to unusually specific times, and then ripping someone's review and posting it as their own... some reason.

So bizarre.

Thanks. It's a 280X.
Not an old card at all. Dang. It was likely already suggested but did you remove and plug it back in? There's always the chance your motherboard has issues as well. Would not hurt trying your graphics card in a PC of a friend.

Game is released >_>
Played the second one a ton back in the day. What a great game it was. The first RTS-FPS-Vehicular-Shooter I played.
Fuck you, Dark Souls II.

The one time in like 30 game hours when I didn't poke the chest to first make sure it's not a mimic, guess what it turned out to be. But of course...

And that
headless medusa in a poison lake
is a bitch and as cheap as boss design gets. What the hell were they thinking.

Also, what's with the insane amount of scripted invasions and forced "you're being summoned as a spirit" stuff? I just want to explore this area in peace, leave me alone Dark Souls.

j1ojq8O.gif

I really enjoy the rest of the game though, despite these temporary annoyances. And I absolutely love the new feature that removes mobs from the world that have been killed over and over again. Finally, this should have been in the series starting with Demons Souls.
The boss itself is not that difficult but the poison makes it rough. I remember the way to the fight itself being a pain as well.

Since I'm feeling generous I'm giving something away. What I'm giving away is a free Steam key, for my favorite VN. I got it for free, because I purchased the non-Steam version on MG, back when it first released in English

So, without any further ado, I present you my raffle for Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning. I hope whoever wins will enjoy it. I sure did. And even if you don't win, I HIGHLY suggest you play it at some point.

Great giveaway. Was wondering if I should buy it, but maybe I win it.

Or someone who isnt into VNs will win it... ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Great giveaway. Was wondering if I should buy it, but maybe I win it.

Or someone who isnt into VNs will win it... ;)

Going to join for it even tho I loathe VNs just to test your theory

no I wont

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Contagion -- MB-C06128342F76F4C4 - Taken by Henry Swanson
theHunter: Primal -- MB-C585DA89AE6692A0 - Taken by laserlaser

Roarer

So I bought Transformers Devastation, weekend deal, 50% off.

Fire it up, game doesn't support 16:10 resolutions above 1080p.

I hate getting bummed out because of technical reasons before I even start playing the game. Oh well.

How cheap has the Umihara Kawase Trilogy been? Hasn't it been $14.99 before or is that me dreaming?

Can't believe Banzai Escape is only 10% off, COME ON MAN!

Phawx

Take that wallet money, buy something like Dark Souls III or whatever the latest game is that hasn't been discounted yet and has a high price, and sell the Steam gift on G2A to further increase your profits and liquidate it back to cash.

Each new alt account would need to spend > $5 to be able to open trading.

Edit: Just took a quick look here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

Seems like the ability to unlock trading cards is disabled until spending $5 or more. I forgot what the problem was exactly, but I opened an alt account for additional farming of cards as well and I had to buy a $5 gift game for myself.

zkylon

zkylewd
continuing with my catching up with the news, scarlett johansson as motoko doesn't look so bad

i kind of hated her in avengers but her character sucked there so can't blame it all on her

would be nice if they made a nice movie out of it, it's no biggie if it sucks but u know, wasted opportunities

There's another thread about that Alex St. John article. Dude's a sociopath, there's mountains of evidence going towards that conclusion.
first time i hear about him, but yeah, sounds like he should just go fuck off

so delicious to see assholes put in their place

There's even bot "review accounts," that just mass-review/idle games. There was a dude on SteamGAF that had his review stolen by one of them; don't remember the name, unfortunately. The bot had a weird habit of idling games to unusually specific times, and then ripping someone's review and posting it as their own... some reason.

So bizarre.

That dude was me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190312446&postcount=4043

It looks like the review has been deleted/pulled.

EDIT: It looks like the bot or whatever that stole the review is straight-up gone. It's not showing up in the community search at least.

Each new alt account would need to spend > $5 to be able to open trading.

Edit: Just took a quick look here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

Seems like the ability to unlock trading cards is disabled until spending $5 or more. I forgot what the problem was exactly, but I opened an alt account for additional farming of cards as well and I had to buy a $5 gift game for myself.

Strange, I have an Alt account that I've never spent money on and I have no problem trading the cards back to my main account. It is more than 4 years old, maybe that helps? Though I haven't logged in on it in more that 60 days so maybe it's a new security measure? I've never been able to get the free cards from sales on it though even though it is level 9 now.

Phawx

Strange, I have an Alt account that I've never spent money on and I have no problem trading the cards back to my main account. It is more than 4 years old, maybe that helps? Though I haven't logged in on it in more that 60 days so maybe it's a new security measure? I've never been able to get the free cards from sales on it though even though it is level 9 now.

I think it was a newer-ish requirement. I opened my alt account about a year ago

Edit: Also it's completely possible that I didn't fully investigate that situation at the time, but I remember reaching an impasse *until* paying $5 to make the alt account unrestricted. Perhaps I tried sending a friend invite to my main and got the warning and just paid the $5.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Jazz573, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jazz573, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gakhthun of the Golden Lightning -- MB-6370E3344CBAB5A4 - Taken by Annubis. 36 entrants total.

t1461028427z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom