• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
screenshot2016-04-27a6lqww.png

What the eff?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Never trust early Steam reviews.

I've been noticing a trend of some of the same people hopping on early Steam releases to try and give it negative reviews early so it might turn people away. I am a horror ethusiast, so I've noticed it a lot in horror games that end up with positive reception but on release have mixed or negative reception. But there must be some group or something since I've seen this a number of times where a game will just come out, and then negative reviews will be posted, and for the first day or two, they'll thumbs be some pretty even margin of thumbs up on negative reviews, thumbs down on positive reviews.

I've observed this so many times, I think it has to be some Steam group or something that just arrange this or something.

Quick raffle

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nyteshade517, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Circuit Breakers -- MB-F10C7A0D0A284C2E - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
System Shock: Enhanced Edition -- MB-4C44ABE7E68E595F - Taken by thesaucetastic. 6 entrants total.
Space Colony -- MB-2DA9F81CB057F115 - Taken by freshVeggie. 2 entrants total.
Dungeon Nightmares II : The Memory -- MB-E731C35DB7814E2D - Taken by diabolusinmusica. 1 entrants total.
D/Generation HD -- MB-381EC4936E9DC990 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 2 entrants total.

t1461775290z1.png

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter promises cases with consequences

"We wanted to make it feel more meaningful," said Alexandre Sainsily, software product manager at publisher Bigben Interactive, "so in this one all of the consequences of your choices are going to carry on, so if you make a wrong decision, you'll have to live with that."

Your choices unfold across four new cases and a fifth meta-mystery that spans the entire game. Details from your four core cases will contribute to this grand ongoing investigation, providing an additional layer of plot progression.

There is also a whole lot more to do, with more areas to explore. This becomes apparent as soon as you step outside of Sherlock Holmes' iconic Baker Street address and explore the area. You can look around the area and take part in several different activities, from boxing and arm-wrestling to bottle-shooting contests.

Hmm...Now I'm curious about something.

Can a review that's set to private still affect the user-review rating?

EDIT: I'm guessing so, because the community hub shows two reviews for Ori DE, even though the store-page has 11+

madjoki

EDIT: I'm guessing so, because the community hub shows two reviews for Ori DE, even though the store-page has 11+

I don't think there's actual private reviews anymore, just public & friends only.

Not much of a discount, but I'll take what I can get!

Any gems in here besides Bound for Flame?

You can use Canada VPN for another extra discount $4.2-ish with coupon. (depends on banks rates tho)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thought I'd ask here for some help

Instead of spending a lot on a 980ti build, I'm considering going with this and upgrading the GPU when pascal comes out, as well as the CPU at a later date.

Decent future proof build that can play new games on 40fps + 1080p on high at least

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/XB2NkL

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£194.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£59.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£121.57 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£29.80 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£31.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£275.92 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.58 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (£73.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £915.03

Would I run into any problems upgrading the computer at a later date?

Dusk Golem

I don't think you can make a private review, but a lot of that is foreign reviews. To see foreign reviews, go to the reviews tab on the community hub and press through the different languages.

The fact Steam doesn't have a "View All" option yet, I don't know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thought I'd ask here for some help

Instead of spending a lot on a 980ti build, I'm considering going with this and upgrading the GPU when pascal comes out, as well as the CPU at a later date.

Decent future proof build that can play new games on 40fps + 1080p on high at least

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/XB2NkL

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£194.28 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£59.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£121.57 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£29.80 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£31.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£275.92 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Blue ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.58 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (£73.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £915.03

Would I run into any problems upgrading the computer at a later date?

I'd switch out the 6600K for the 6700K (the extra four cores, despite being logical rather than physical, do make a difference in heavily multi-threaded games) and bump up the RAM to 16GB.

Edit: There's no need to worry about upgradability. Intel changes sockets regularly, so when your 6700K does become a bit long in the tooth, you'd be looking at a new motherboard in addition to the CPU, anyway.

Saty

An experienced video game networking coder and long-time programmer has issued a damning appraisal of The Division's problems with exploits and glitches.

Glenn Fiedler has an 18-year career in the game industry at developers such as BioShock and Tribes studio Irrational Games, LA Noire outfit Team Bondi, Mercenaries maker Pandemic, and Titanfall team Respawn.

Fiedler also spent nearly five years as lead network programmer at Sony Computer Entertainment. His last five projects were Journey, PlayStation: All-Stars, God of War: Ascension, Titanfall and, most recently, this year's Titanfall 2. In short: he knows his stuff.

In an extensive blog post. on the game's many recent problems, Fiedler criticised Ubisoft for developing the game with what looks like a trusted client network model. Simply put, it trusts the job of tracking key gameplay information to individual players, rather than the server.

Much more:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...likely-beyond-repair-networking-expert-claims

http://gafferongames.com/2016/04/25/never-trust-the-client/

madjoki

I see it as CDN$5.59 here (Canada)
What do people in the US see?

CDN$5.59 - 5% with gimme5 = $4.2

I don't think you can make a private review, but a lot of that is foreign reviews. To see foreign reviews, go to the reviews tab on the community hub and press through the different languages.

The fact Steam doesn't have a "View All" option yet, I don't know.

Ah, There's "All Languages". But it seems like doesn't actually work. That explains low amount of reviews shown then.

derExperte

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Read Only Memories -- MB-119D875E55D0C7D6 - Taken by Ventara. 4 entrants total.

t1461777871z1.png

Old but should be unused if HB didn't mess up.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd switch out the 6600K for the 6700K (the extra four cores, despite being logical rather than physical, do make a difference in heavily multi-threaded games) and bump up the RAM to 16GB.

Edit: There's no need to worry about upgradability. Intel changes sockets regularly, so when your 6700K does become a bit long in the tooth, you'd be looking at a new motherboard in addition to the CPU, anyway.

Will do! Thanks, Jase.

Am I right in thinking I'd be able to reuse the other components with a new motherboard?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will do! Thanks, Jase.

Am I right in thinking I'd be able to reuse the other components with a new motherboard?

Yeah. You may need to contact to Corsair and request a Whatever-Intel's-current-socket-is-when-you-upgrade mounting kit, but everything else would carry over just fine as-is.

Salsa

whats so great about that bundle?

I stopped Ori near the end but im more likely to get this new edition now and start over I guess

Dusk Golem

whats so great about that bundle?

I stopped Ori near the end but im more likely to get this new edition now and start over I guess

Well ignoring the fact it's called the Killer 7 Bundle...

250px-Killer7boxnew.jpg

...It just has a lot of games that interest me personally I didn't own and have never been bundled before, and was planning to pick up down the line anyways. Only owned two of the games.

fault milestone one is a visual novel I have heard very good things about and wanted to pick up (and its sequel).

Pneuma: Breath of Life is right up my alley as a pretty puzzle-exploration game.

Knee Deep I was so close to buying on release but was low on funds at the time for an episodic buoy swamp mystery setting with a nice style in my opinion.

200% Mixed Juice! I have wanted to get to play with friends, as I enjoyed 100% Orange Juice a lot with them.

I can vouch that Dungeon Nightmares 2 is a fairly good, decently scary horror game.

And the rest are pretty solid, too.

Knurek

fault milestone one is a visual novel I have heard very good things about and wanted to pick up (and its sequel).

Word of warning - it supposedly ends on a terrible cliffhanger.
Which is resolved in the sequel. Which also ends on a terrible cliffhanger.
No news yet when the third part will release...

zkylon

zkylewd
rito already talked about this a couple months ago

they were like "we don't feel like being in a race anymore" so they don't talk numbers. makes sense cos at one point you're asking your game to be played by more and more people every year and that's kind of unreasonable cos there's only so many weirdos willing to improve their lives playing mobas. it's also something that league players don't care about, i already know the game is huge, all my friends are freaking playing it lol. the people that care about league's numbers are their competitors and gross people that are just rubbing their hands hoping for league to crash for some weird sad reason i'll never understand

and guess what, rito (which means league) made like 1.6 billion usd last year and that they're buying other studios and hosting league tournaments in like madison square garden and like soccer world cup stadiums, so if you think the game's doing bad you're out of your mind

the $5 Ori Deluxe thing lasts for a month so I'll pick it up before it expires...really liked the original version (even with a bug that made me have to start over from scratch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom