• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALCchKP.jpg

We can finally play Valkyria Profile on PC
via android emu.

rtcn63

The worst things about the 3DS are its ergonomics and the screen. I tried playing DKCR, and the mixture of 30fps and crappy screen quality forced me to put it down. I originally played it on a Wii using an SDTV and it was far superior.

Salsa

The worst things about the 3DS are its ergonomics and the screen. I tried playing DKCR, and the mixture of 30fps and crappy screen quality forced me to put it down. I originally played it on a Wii using an SDTV and it was far superior.

well yeah it's a port of a game designed to be played on a TV

like anything else, its not an issue when you design from the ground up with the platform in mind

rtcn63

well yeah it's a port of a game designed to be played on a TV

like anything else, its not an issue when you design from the ground up with the platform in mind

I know, but it doesn't change the fact that for me it was not enjoyable. The 60fps in most 3DS platformers helps distract from the cruddy screen somewhat. The 30fps in DKCR just worsened things.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I need to remember to cancel my humble monthly before friday

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
set up an ok google / siri reminder you god damn caveman

I thought you were calling me google and this was some sort of argentinian slang or something

But I dont know what ok google is nor do I have a iPhone. Ill just get home from work and do it, im old but not senile

Sarcasm

I thought you were calling me google and this was some sort of argentinian slang or something

But I dont know what ok google is nor do I have a iPhone. Ill just get home from work and do it, im old but not senile

Do you have an android phone? Then you have okay Google.

No intervention needed here, so grab your can of toluene-laden computer dust remover, and get ready to walk on sunshine with these impressions for Dreamscapes: The Sandman Premium Edition (for only the best performance in unleaded games.)

The story: You play a nameless protagonist. Your task is to help one Miss Laura Young, a concert violinist, age 21. We see some flashbacks where a child Laura tells her daddy (Peter Young, 1953 - 2002, age 45. YOU do the math!) about her nightmares where the Sandman wanted to know her secret, but when she refused, "he started tormenting me." Daddy hands over a magic dreamcatcher (the MacGuffin of choice for all stories about dreams,) but in the present, the Sandman "enters the world of people" and breaks the catcher, causing her to fall into a coma. You get to see janky badly-translated newspaper headlines like "Laura Still Sleeping, Doctors Lift Hands" but then pre-eminent psychologist Professor Sanders - an old man who can barely walk - says "Relax, guys, I got this" and she's immediately transferred to (it's unclear here) either the hospital's basement or the professor's private lab, with no security, and no consent from next of kin. Seems legit! He's created a dream transferrence device and your job is to save her via the dreams.

The concept is alright but not exactly original (if you want a dream-based adventure game, play The Dream Machine. Heck, play Mind Snares. Sheesh, play Dare to Dream, it's probably better than this even though it was made in the early 90s.) It's poorly told, and the real kicker came when I noticed a glaring flaw that almost made me give the game too much credit. Spoilers to follow!

Laura is apparently the only person in a thousand years who can see "The High Keepers" of the dream world. In this case, you see a creature similar to Gizmo from the Gremlins movies, only he's named Benny. During the game, you find a letter from Laura's best friend Tim pointing out that he too has seen this creature in his dream, even drawing an accurate picture. "Aha!" I say. "Tim shouldn't be able to see him, so that means he must be the Sandman, befriending Laura to get close to her and betray her trust. Deviously clever!" ...But nope, turns out Professor Sanders was the Sandman, sending you into Laura's dream to find "the REAL Laura" in her consciousness, whatever that means, and the Tim thing was just a shitty oversight. So all in all, the story sucks.

The graphics: They're alright, but it seems to be locked at 1024x768. They had an interesting thing where as you defeat the nightmares, the scenery changes from creepy to pleasant...except the "pleasant" clown is WAY creepier than the "creepy" one.

o0nqhjJ.jpg

Yeah, that's the "pleasant" clown. "Yes, Georgie, they float. They all float! We all float down here!"

The dialogue and voices: The dialogue is so janky and cringe-worthy that even doctors will lift hands at it. The voice actors tried to fix what they could here and there but even they had their work cut out for them. One example: Instead of saying "The Sandman cheated me," the typed dialogue reads "I have been turned into a cheatee" and the voice actor says "I have been turned into a cheater," which is a fair assumption because nobody ever says "cheatee."

The puzzles: Some of the minigames were standard fare, some were braindead easy (arrange the planets in order of distance from the Sun...no other constraints!) and some I skipped because even clicking "Help," I had no idea what they wanted me to do. At least the inventory puzzles weren't bad.

The gameplay: The game has in-game achievements but no Steam achievements. Some achievements were for using hints. (Their hint system is also next to useless because it doesn't tell you where to go next, only shows you what to do if you're on the exact screen or inset screen.) I tried using a hint in the bonus chapter and the console came up, slowing the game to a crawl and forcing me to restart.

XHocqav.jpg

"QA? What's that?"

The length: 3.7 hours including the bonus chapter. So it's a decent length, with the added bonus that it feels like a goddamn eternity.

The verdict: A subpar point-and-click adventure. It's got a better premise, fewer dumb jokes that fall flat, and fewer bugs than Bunker...so it's not the worst P&C I've ever played. Still, I wouldn't recommend it.

Teggy

So I have decided to take on my Soulsaphobia (indifference towards Souls maybe more accurate) and give at least one of the games a fair shake so I will know once and for all if I don't care for these games. Sometimes it feels bad when all the cool kids are playing Souls.

So I have started with Demon's Souls, which isn't on Steam, but it is the first game and sometimes you have to start at the beginning. I have played through the first boss and while I have enjoyed the combat for the most part, I have a feeling I am going to start losing my patience because of the inexplicable respawning.

First of all, arch stones are really far apart, so you have to work your way extremely carefully through or you'll be fighting through the exact same monsters spawning in the exact same places again and again. Even when you succeed you are punished - I found a shortcut that got me back to the first archstone, but after returning to the nexus and coming back, everything had respawned and I had to fight my way back through.

This makes figuring the game out really punishing in places. For example, after I beat the first boss I came back and kept going through the area, where I had to clear out a whole bunch of annoying enemies and found a guy who asked me to keep going and clear out a passage ahead. Well it turns out that passage
has a fire breathing dragon swooping down on it.
When you die, you spawn back at the archstone and everything in that room has respawned. Who knows how long it will take to figure out how to cross that passage and how many times I will have to deal with that respawned room.

Similarly, I found a path that was guarded by a guy that was one shotting me. After dying 3 or 4 times I figured maybe I was going the wrong way and chose a different path. But if I get stronger and decide I want to try that guy again, I will have to fight through all the respawned monsters yet again.

I'm going to keep playing but I'm wondering if my first impressions were correct after all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
God I love hidden object game reviews when they get posted in here. Not trolling.

Same here - one of my favorite aspects of this thread is when people post their honest impressions of games that they play, both good and bad.

Grief.exe

I really dont know why I never bother removing the OC on my card when games are running weirdly

did so just now and I can now max DSIII without it BSODing, which was doing even with low options

dumb

That's a pretty clear indication of an unstable OC, or your thermals are getting to high considering your location.

Damn.

I need to remember to cancel my humble monthly before friday

Mad Max in a bundle is pretty tempting even though it looks like the typical open-world yawn fest.

rtcn63

I'm going to keep playing but I'm wondering if my first impressions were correct after all.

I never finished Demon's Souls, though one of the things I noticed that differed somewhat compared to other Soulsborne is that weapon damage type matters A LOT. Like, you're expected to have an entire arsenal, with each weapon excelling in slash/pierce/etc. Also it does that thing like Dark Souls where if you upgrade a weapon too much, you can't use certain infusions (or whatever they're called in Demon's) without resetting the weapon with an item. The farm game for stones is pretty bad by the way.

And this is something incredibly important to know- if you can't carry any more items and try to pick something up, you'll drop it and it will be gone FOREVER. (Well, until the next playthrough)

Teggy

I never finished Demon's Souls, though one of the things I noticed that differed somewhat compared to other Soulsborne is that weapon damage type matters A LOT. Like, you're expected to have an entire arsenal, with each weapon excelling in slash/pierce/etc. Also it does that thing like Dark Souls where if you upgrade a weapon too much, you can't use certain infusions (or whatever they're called in Demon's) without resetting the weapon with an item. The farm game for stones is pretty bad by the way.

And this is something incredibly important to know- if you can't carry any more items and try to pick something up, you'll drop it and it will be gone FOREVER. (Well, until the next playthrough)

That's something that wasn't clear, actually. You can't sell anything, right? So I just have to drop all those junky shields and swords I've picked up?

rtcn63

That's something that wasn't clear, actually. You can't sell anything, right? So I just have to drop all those junky shields and swords I've picked up?

There's a guy in the nexus that lets you store all your shit IIRC. Dump everything you aren't using right away, including upgrade materials.

Soulflarz

Banned
Same here - one of my favorite aspects of this thread is when people post their honest impressions of games that they play, both good and bad.

I didn't think Dark Souls 3 was up to par, but I fully acknowledge this is because I think the formula is wearing thin after so many games.
We've seen the same types of enemies many many times- it's no wonder those who've played since Demon progressively are saying that it's easier and easier.
I think they need to seriously spice up the formula, more than bloodborne. I kind of want an action oriented one?

Dont kill me GAF

Rhaknar

Mad Max in a bundle is pretty tempting even though it looks like the typical open-world yawn fest.

I got the Max one, it was ny first. I want to cancel it before I automatically get the next one without knowing what it has.

And I loved Mad Max, totally took me by surprise.

rtcn63

But what use do I have for a broken sword, for example (something that dropped off a monster)?

Then drop it. I'm one of those people who keeps everything for some reason.

Man, I started Bloodborne with a new character and this game is both easier and more irritating than I remember. Dogs everywhere. I'm using the saw cleaver instead of the axe, so that may be it. Not looking forward to the Chalice Dungeons, which although great for grinding levels, are just not fun at all. The best gems are in them sadly.

And I'd love to use the
Rakuyo
right away, but it's gated being some of the harder DLC boss fights. Maybe I'll just keep at my original character and finish NG+, I've got five weapons maxed out.

Lomax

I got the Max one, it was ny first. I want to cancel it before I automatically get the next one without knowing what it has.

And I loved Mad Max, totally took me by surprise.

The Mad Max one is May's, you have until the end of next month to cancel. In fact I'm not even sure it would let you cancel right now since May's still hasn't been delivered.

Rhaknar

The Mad Max one is May's, you have until the end of next month to cancel. In fact I'm not even sure it would let you cancel right now since May's still hasn't been delivered.

Wait what? It said in the email it will be renewed on the last friday of the month, and the games would be unveiled on the following week (may 6th or something)

Isnt it like a magazine subscription where you get the june issue in may etc? The Max bundle has been up for almost a month now why would I have until the end of another month to cancel.

Methinks you are wrong sir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom