• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a US$20 Steam wallet code for my birthday, and my first thought is whether it would be unsavoury of me to buy giveaway games with it...

Mind you, I haven't done a giveaway in a while, so I'll have to think about it.

Deques

Got a US$20 Steam wallet code for my birthday, and my first thought is whether it would be unsavoury of me to buy giveaway games with it...

Mind you, I haven't done a giveaway in a while, so I'll have to think about it.

Happy Birthday

Here is an inspirational game of what you could give away :D
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-38A17145504199E8 - Taken by Javier23

Arthea

Anybody played that Bit Blaster XL game? It certainly doesn't look especially great to me, but then again I haven't played it yet.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

D&D NEVERWINTER MASTER OF ILLUSION VANGUARD PACK -- MB-EC20FF4E9AE31350

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Circuit Breakers -- MB-3DC92BFF2BAC57BC - Taken by Deques
Dungeon Nightmares II The Memory -- MB-08EAA5E9A4BC0A9E - Taken by texhnolyze
D/Generation HD -- MB-DF07430E51235207 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Knee Deep -- MB-595B6A2579E75EF9 - Taken by bloke

So I have decided to take on my Soulsaphobia (indifference towards Souls maybe more accurate) and give at least one of the games a fair shake so I will know once and for all if I don't care for these games. Sometimes it feels bad when all the cool kids are playing Souls.

So I have started with Demon's Souls, which isn't on Steam, but it is the first game and sometimes you have to start at the beginning. I have played through the first boss and while I have enjoyed the combat for the most part, I have a feeling I am going to start losing my patience because of the inexplicable respawning.

First of all, arch stones are really far apart, so you have to work your way extremely carefully through or you'll be fighting through the exact same monsters spawning in the exact same places again and again. Even when you succeed you are punished - I found a shortcut that got me back to the first archstone, but after returning to the nexus and coming back, everything had respawned and I had to fight my way back through.

This makes figuring the game out really punishing in places. For example, after I beat the first boss I came back and kept going through the area, where I had to clear out a whole bunch of annoying enemies and found a guy who asked me to keep going and clear out a passage ahead. Well it turns out that passage
has a fire breathing dragon swooping down on it.
When you die, you spawn back at the archstone and everything in that room has respawned. Who knows how long it will take to figure out how to cross that passage and how many times I will have to deal with that respawned room.

Similarly, I found a path that was guarded by a guy that was one shotting me. After dying 3 or 4 times I figured maybe I was going the wrong way and chose a different path. But if I get stronger and decide I want to try that guy again, I will have to fight through all the respawned monsters yet again.

I'm going to keep playing but I'm wondering if my first impressions were correct after all.

It's better to think of the souls series as rythem / muscle memory games w/ RPG elements.

The only different with Souls and....Guitar Hero is that if you miss notes in Souls you get eviscerated and get to try over again.

So I have decided to take on my Soulsaphobia (indifference towards Souls maybe more accurate) and give at least one of the games a fair shake so I will know once and for all if I don't care for these games. Sometimes it feels bad when all the cool kids are playing Souls.

So I have started with Demon's Souls, which isn't on Steam, but it is the first game and sometimes you have to start at the beginning. I have played through the first boss and while I have enjoyed the combat for the most part, I have a feeling I am going to start losing my patience because of the inexplicable respawning.

First of all, arch stones are really far apart, so you have to work your way extremely carefully through or you'll be fighting through the exact same monsters spawning in the exact same places again and again. Even when you succeed you are punished - I found a shortcut that got me back to the first archstone, but after returning to the nexus and coming back, everything had respawned and I had to fight my way back through.

This makes figuring the game out really punishing in places. For example, after I beat the first boss I came back and kept going through the area, where I had to clear out a whole bunch of annoying enemies and found a guy who asked me to keep going and clear out a passage ahead. Well it turns out that passage
has a fire breathing dragon swooping down on it.
When you die, you spawn back at the archstone and everything in that room has respawned. Who knows how long it will take to figure out how to cross that passage and how many times I will have to deal with that respawned room.

Similarly, I found a path that was guarded by a guy that was one shotting me. After dying 3 or 4 times I figured maybe I was going the wrong way and chose a different path. But if I get stronger and decide I want to try that guy again, I will have to fight through all the respawned monsters yet again.

I'm going to keep playing but I'm wondering if my first impressions were correct after all.

My honest suggestion would be to put Demon's down for right now and play Dark Souls, if you have access to it.

Demon's has a nuance to it that the rest of the games don't with the Nexus and area-based spawn mechanics. A lot of that nuance is just not explained, either. For instance, a common suggestion is to not
play the game in order, as in 1-1 then 1-2 then 1-3, so on. Instead, do 1-1, then do 2-1. Then do 3-1 and then choose between 4-1 or going back to 1-2.
This opens things up so much as you start to flesh out your character.

The bonfires in Dark Souls, with central hubs, is far easier to get into the groove of by comparison to the Archstones.

Generally speaking, dragons in the games have the absolute highest number of kills on me. So many deaths to them. So, so many of those being the dragons in Demons. I kind of love that. Dragons need to be legendary, not pushovers... looking straight at Dragon Age: Inquisition on this one...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has anyone played A Hat In Time recently. Is it any good?

The beta build hasn't been updated in over a year. What's there is promising, but it's also very rough. Like, there's a secret collectable in the first world that crashes the game.

Naw, you start at demon's souls because once you've grown the hair on your chest from beating the only actual hard game in the series it makes the rest feel like baby walks.

Demon's teaches the player to be patient, cautious, and to weigh every action accordingly thanks to its one-and-done approach to finishing stages. The rest of the games instill bad habits because of how often you find and how much of a crutch bonfires are.

Play demon's first and the rest of the souls games will feel like walking simulators

Me too. I have a big backlogg, so I prefer to play something new than replaying a game.

Yep. Even games I loved. I just don't get the same thing out of it as I did on the first try.

This includes NG+. I've poured hundreds and hundreds of hours in the Souls games and have never touched NG++ on any of them. The ones I did NG+ on were just to retry bosses that people have said "Wait until you see NG+ version!"

Chrono Trigger, though. That kind of NG+ is something to behold. A true masterpiece, that game.

EDIT:
Naw, you start at demon's souls because once you've grown the hair on your chest from beating the only actual hard game in the series it makes the rest feel like baby walks.

Demon's teaches the player to be patient, cautious, and to weigh every action accordingly thanks to its one-and-done approach to finishing stages. The rest of the games instill bad habits because of how often you find and how much of a crutch bonfires are.

Play demon's first and the rest of the souls games will feel like walking simulators

That's why I say go with Dark first. Once you beat that game, you get a respect for the mindset the series requires. It makes tackling Demons, which can be straight up staggering at times, a little more doable, which opens you up to the rewarding feeling of that game.

He or she is toying with the idea that the series as a hole should be met with indifference (or rather, continued to be met with indifference) based on specific aspects that are largely reconfigured in Dark Souls. For the record, though, I like those aspects...

Alien8

Anybody played that Bit Blaster XL game? It certainly doesn't look especially great to me, but then again I haven't played it yet.

It's a stupidly fun $1 game. You just have to survive with your spacecraft, kill enemies in order to get power ups, refill ammo and achieve your highest score. The powerups are mostly different kind of weapons. If you like mindless ardade games, I think you'll like it. It will keep you busy for 2-3 hours. The problem is that there's not a lot of content (besides unlocking new spacecrafts with different speeds and shields) to keep you interested in the game, but I haven't played the game for a few weeks so this could have changed. For me, it's worth the 1$.

That's why I say go with Dark first. Once you beat that game, you get a respect for the mindset the series requires. It makes tackling Demons, which can be straight up staggering at times, a little more doable, which opens you up to the rewarding feeling of that game.

He or she is toying with the idea that the series as a hole should be met with indifference (or rather, continued to be met with indifference) based on specific aspects that are largely reconfigured in Dark Souls. For the record, though, I like those aspects...

I agree with this. I tried Demons years ago and find it really obtuse. Only after finishing Dark and going back was I able to appreciate the nuances of the series and understand the mechanics

Arthea

It's a stupidly fun $1 game. You just have to survive with your spacecraft, kill enemies in order to get power ups, refill ammo and achieve your highest score. The powerups are mostly different kind of weapons. If you like mindless ardade games, I think you'll like it. It will keep you busy for 2-3 hours. The problem is that there's not a lot of content (besides unlocking new spacecrafts with different speeds and shields) to keep you interested in the game, but I haven't played the game for a few weeks so this could have changed. For me, it's worth the 1$.
yeah, I like fun arcade games.
Thanks

I agree with this. I tried Demons years ago and find it really obtuse. Only after finishing Dark and going back was I able to appreciate the nuances of the series and understand the mechanics

i didn't know that babies could make forum posts.

Knurek

Say what you will about DualShock 4's battery life, I've charged the controller on Sunday and it still has 30% charge.
(The fact that I managed to find 'disconnect after xxx idle minutes' option in DS4Windows, and I've only been playing 2-3 Picross puzzles per day on pad is the key)

Danganronpa 2 might be too much of a good thing - I've started chapter 3 and the I really wouldn't mind if the game had an editor who would cut off... 1/4th of the text. Really, some scenes just reek of padding. The minigames are also terrible all around, I wish there was an option to auto-resolve them. :\
Also, typos. Something that I generally don't recall seeing in the first game, but here's there have been some really glaring ones...

derExperte

Those U4 threads are getting weird.

SE sale on Steam incoming, then?

Nah, their store had lots of sales before without anything happening on Steam. And one could make the argument that a Steam sale would take attention away so it'd be dumb. That Duck Game free weekend makes me hope for an Adult Swim sale tho.

Tizoc

Uc4 is a linear cover shootybang with beautiful set pieces wasted on some joe staying in cover and wasting dozens of bullets on random thugs that come in waves
I mean ill give u if untell me the multiplayer is good but the formula has been done enough already that a new entry should go in a different direction to stand out

Uc4 is a linear cover shootybang with beautiful set pieces wasted on some joe staying in cover and wasting dozens of bullets on random thugs that come in waves
I mean ill give u if untell me the multiplayer is good but the formula has been done enough already that a new entry should go in a different direction to stand out

reported to mods

big meany

respect da naughty gods

the first website to give uc4 a 7 will be nuked from orbit and set ablaze.

I really can't wait. the UC3 thread was glorious and the TLOU thread was a treasure. I imagine the UC4 review thread will end with tears regardless of how the reviews come in

The beta build hasn't been updated in over a year. What's there is promising, but it's also very rough. Like, there's a secret collectable in the first world that crashes the game.

Oh, I assumed that they were constantly releasing new builds as the progressbar on their page showed some progress after the beta step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom