• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my first deliberate PC purchase/build. I'm glad with how everything is tbh but since I never followed AMD/NVIDIA before, it's all new experience for me. Let's see how it unfolds but you all sure paint a dandy picture of Nvidia :p
1422451160298.png

Anteater

hmm did they change something with steam? the 360 guide button always put steam into focus now on my end, it's annoying (I use that button for screenshots, and it focuses on steam whenever I play a non steam game)

Phawx

It's my first deliberate PC purchase/build. I'm glad with how everything is tbh but since I never followed AMD/NVIDIA before, it's all new experience for me. Let's see how it unfolds but you all sure paint a dandy picture of Nvidia :p

Nvidia will do the work to make DX11 games run very fast.

Durante

Ashes Of The Singularity: DirectX 12 vs DX11 Tech Analysis
Man, I do hope Nvidia manages to make their cards make better use of DX12 via software updates.
What people often don't understand when looking at these results is that a massive part of the discrepancy comes down to the fact that Nvidia managed to make their cards make much better use (much better use with slower CPUs) of DX11 than AMD.

So, it's not necessarily that AMD's DX12 drivers are much better than NV's DX12 drivers. To a large part at least it's that AMD's DX11 drivers are and were much worse than NV's DX11 drivers.

Grief.exe

hmm did they change something with steam? the 360 guide button always put steam into focus now on my end, it's annoying (I use that button for screenshots, and it focuses on steam whenever I play a non steam game)

Go into Big Picture settings and change the open Steam setting from just the guide button to L1+ guide button for example.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Mad Max is an interesting game in some ways. Mechanically, it's very simple. The best analogy I could come up for it was that it was a ten hour game stretched out over a sixty hour world. The world is great. The level design is really good. The variations they work out with a palette of various wasteland items and detritus is genuinely clever, especially in light of how few ways there are to interact with the environment or traverse areas. You end up with these elaborate underground caves that are visually complex, but easy to navigate. There's always the end level shortcut to loop you around to the beginning at the end.

The landscapes are gorgeous from just about any angle, and despite what some folks say or screenshots lead you to believe, fairly varied between areas. It's still all wasteland. But! You go from the dried out husk of the ocean floor to fairly mountainous regions with some different flavors of arid post apocalypse in between. I think I like the underwater volcano area the best, it's the most otherworldly and menacing from a distance. The large shallow lakes of oil sludge are something too.

Apparently, the game was delayed and retooled in a major way during development. I think the original release date was some time in 2014, and it only came out late last year. You can sort of get an idea of what was taken out--There's a weird, half hearted emphasis on driving enemy cars and how they "disguise" you from factions. I get the impression you originally weren't supposed to have your own permanent, always summonable, self-repairing car but they ultimately couldn't find a way to make the game any fun without it. You'd probably constantly find yourself on foot in the middle of nowhere, or driving something you hated because it would constantly blow up. It wouldn't be fun to get out to repair it, or to fast travel to a base to get something better, or...etc. Maybe there was stunt highjacking but it was too similar to the Just Cause games? I'm also guessing they had ambitions for some sort of factional warfare. Funny how that kind of stuff gets cut out of games fairly often.

Also interestingly, or not, is that the playable map is only about a quarter of the size of the generated map. And you can functionally drive forever once you fly off the edge of that. Or near enough, I got bored after about fifteen minutes. Between the level design and the massive size of the world, I suspect Avalanche has some really impressive game development tools. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of interest in modding this to the same degree the Just Cause games have generated, since they're using variations of the same engine. A modding kit for a game like this could be really, really amazing. Maybe too amazing? I imagine making your own full conversion wouldn't be out of the question. I wonder how that kind of proposal sounds to the business side of a game development studio. Apparently the long tail on Skyrim sales just isn't that compelling? Too much opportunity cost? Actually, now that I think of it, licensing probably rules anything like that right out. Maybe for an original IP. Like some sort of Steam Punk Open World Vehicle game. Supposedly that's what the first screenshot for this game actually was--a scrapped prototype of some Steam Punk themed game.

Anyway. That was longer and more rambling than I intended. But I'm a little too tired to edit it into something more succinct and cohesive, so I hope someone found it interesting as is.

Tellaerin

I've got other stuff to play, but I find myself trying to get to the end of Shuten in Retro Game Crunch.

We don't choose our games. Our games choose us.

Momentary

Banned
Monthly left over.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rayge:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nuclear Throne -- MB-A58BA37D03414F95 - Taken by Megauap. 21 entrants total.

t1459627545z1.png

What people often don't understand when looking at these results is that a massive part of the discrepancy comes down to the fact that Nvidia managed to make their cards make much better use (much better use with slower CPUs) of DX11 than AMD.

So, it's not necessarily that AMD's DX12 drivers are much better than NV's DX12 drivers. To a large part at least it's that AMD's DX11 drivers are and were much worse than NV's DX11 drivers.

Cool. Doesn't change that they will probably dump old cards to make way for the new ones and hook them up with that sweet DX12.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
in the best April fools prank ever, my bike got stolen yesterday :(

i need a game suggestion to cheer myself up, here's my list: [HERE]

You should play some more Aquaria. Remember to use the number keys to change forms.

Kiru

Mad Max is an interesting game in some ways. Mechanically, it's very simple. The best analogy I could come up for it was that it was a ten hour game stretched out over a sixty hour world. The world is great. The level design is really good. The variations they work out with a palette of various wasteland items and detritus is genuinely clever, especially in light of how few ways there are to interact with the environment or traverse areas. You end up with these elaborate underground caves that are visually complex, but easy to navigate. There's always the end level shortcut to loop you around to the beginning at the end.

The landscapes are gorgeous from just about any angle, and despite what some folks say or screenshots lead you to believe, fairly varied between areas. It's still all wasteland. But! You go from the dried out husk of the ocean floor to fairly mountainous regions with some different flavors of arid post apocalypse in between. I think I like the underwater volcano area the best, it's the most otherworldly and menacing from a distance. The large shallow lakes of oil sludge are something too.

Apparently, the game was delayed and retooled in a major way during development. I think the original release date was some time in 2014, and it only came out late last year. You can sort of get an idea of what was taken out--There's a weird, half hearted emphasis on driving enemy cars and how they "disguise" you from factions. I get the impression you originally weren't supposed to have your own permanent, always summonable, self-repairing car but they ultimately couldn't find a way to make the game any fun without it. You'd probably constantly find yourself on foot in the middle of nowhere, or driving something you hated because it would constantly blow up. It wouldn't be fun to get out to repair it, or to fast travel to a base to get something better, or...etc. Maybe there was stunt highjacking but it was too similar to the Just Cause games? I'm also guessing they had ambitions for some sort of factional warfare. Funny how that kind of stuff gets cut out of games fairly often.

Also interestingly, or not, is that the playable map is only about a quarter of the size of the generated map. And you can functionally drive forever once you fly off the edge of that. Or near enough, I got bored after about fifteen minutes. Between the level design and the massive size of the world, I suspect Avalanche has some really impressive game development tools. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of interest in modding this to the same degree the Just Cause games have generated, since they're using variations of the same engine. A modding kit for a game like this could be really, really amazing. Maybe too amazing? I imagine making your own full conversion wouldn't be out of the question. I wonder how that kind of proposal sounds to the business side of a game development studio. Apparently the long tail on Skyrim sales just isn't that compelling? Too much opportunity cost? Actually, now that I think of it, licensing probably rules anything like that right out. Maybe for an original IP. Like some sort of Steam Punk Open World Vehicle game. Supposedly that's what the first screenshot for this game actually was--a scrapped prototype of some Steam Punk themed game.

Anyway. That was longer and more rambling than I intended. But I'm a little too tired to edit it into something more succinct and cohesive, so I hope someone found it interesting as is.
Well I found it interesting. I completed the game 100%, agree with you.

Yakkue

Sorry about your bike :(

From your games:
Abyss Odyssey is fun if you're in the mood to beat something up.
Steamworld Dig is fun and addictive.
Thomas was Alone is very charming as well.
Time Gentlemen please & Ben There, Dan That! are funny little Point and Clicks.
But the only thing that could really cheer you up is the purest form of love of course.

Finished Castle in the Darkness, a NES-style metroidvania platformer filled with references to other games.
5VtUN3T.jpg

The checkpoints can get fairly frustrating in the latter parts of the game.
Sometimes it goes like this: checkpoint -> hard platforming area -> boss fight -> another hard platforming area -> checkpoint. There are spikes that can instantly kill you, so getting a jump wrong can often prove fatal.
Nice game for people who enjoy difficult games. Was a bit too frustrating for my non-existant skill-level at times, but it's definitely worth giving a try. There are a ton of easter eggs and secrets to find, although you may also encounter a couple of glitches.
oRU8fKC.gif

I finished it with 100% but never got around playing the ng+

Hm yes, I have read/heard that very often in various AMD/Nvidia comparison benchmarks. So it could be said that AMD cards on DX12 are running much more optimal than on DX11 while Nvidia put already heavy emphasis on DX11 optimization and thus in the early DX12 days there is no immediate/easy bottleneck to be benefited unlike AMD, thus the higher increase in performance on AMD, rather than Nvidia cards having inherent architectural issues taking advantage of DX12.
So it would be better to wait. It's still early days for DX12 and Nvidia's historic proficiency in optimization could change current laymen opinions.
One thing DF also mentioned shortly at the end was that Ashes of Singularity makes use of Async Compute which AMD supports and Nvidia - for now - hasn't enabled support for that on a driver level (DF's words). Interesting topic all of this.
Sorry to hear man. You keep it outside usually?

Deitus

I honestly think this incremental idea for consoles will end up pushing more people towards PC.

Agreed. The last few console generations have been doing away with just about every one of the advantages of console gaming, while at the same time we've seen a huge reduction in the downsides that PC gaming used to have (high cost, difficulty of use, not enough console ports). Not having to upgrade every 2-3 years was one of the last big things console gaming had going for it.

Which sucks, because I'll still probably keep buying consoles for the handful of exclusives that they continue to get, but the relative value is way down from where it used to be.

iosefe

worst part is, i had to wait a month to get it, then only had it for a week and a half

thomas was alone had two recommendations so it automatically wins

rtcn63

I remember leaving McD's and some guy had the seat stolen from his bike, which was chained on the railing at the front door.

Deitus

Sorry to hear about your bike iosefe.

I remember leaving McD's and some guy had the seat stolen from his bike, which was chained on the railing at the front door.

I've heard of this happening, but I don't understand it. Why would someone steal a bike seat? Is there a lucrative market in second hand bike seat sales? I guess other people who have had their bike seat stolen might want to buy one.

rtcn63

I've heard of this happening, but I don't understand it. Why would someone steal a bike seat? Is there a lucrative market in second hand bike seat sales? I guess other people who have had their bike seat stolen might want to buy one.

1) Either he tried to steal the whole bike, but ran out of time/someone caught wind, or

2) He was continuing a cycle of stolen bike seats. Someone stole his seat, who had their seat stolen, who had their seat stolen...

3) The market thing could also be. Anything is possible when you're in a low-income area entrenched with rampant drug use. Addicts will break into your apartment just to steal coins.

Finished Castle in the Darkness, a NES-style metroidvania platformer filled with references to other games.
5VtUN3T.jpg

The checkpoints can get fairly frustrating in the latter parts of the game.
Sometimes it goes like this: checkpoint -> hard platforming area -> boss fight -> another hard platforming area -> checkpoint. There are spikes that can instantly kill you, so getting a jump wrong can often prove fatal.
Nice game for people who enjoy difficult games. Was a bit too frustrating for my non-existant skill-level at times, but it's definitely worth giving a try. There are a ton of easter eggs and secrets to find, although you may also encounter a couple of glitches.
oRU8fKC.gif
Truly excellent game.
Music is pretty awesome too.

I believe the dev is working on some upcoming free DLC for it.

Sorry about your bike. I remember when as a kid some "friends" used to take my bike without my permission while I was at another friend's house. A kid's prank, sure, but still annoying as hell.

Binary Domain maybe?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Black Soma, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freedom Planet -- MB-09210CD3234C6E57 - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.

t1459621246z1.png

Enjoy.

Didn't he do a friendlist purge after he was permed? Seems like he wanted to leave GAF behind and he couldn't care less about those old promises

He re-added me before the permban sometime in January, I think. I had a brief hope that his promise of "don't worry, I'll make good on my promise of RotTR" would be fulfilled. But then the nVidia codes came around making it pretty cheap compared to store price and I heard nothing from him. I finally turned around and grabbed a code off eBay because the B/S/T here wasn't really flush with them anymore.

Ironically, that exploit where ASUS GTX owners could use the India redemption portal with their card information worked for me, so I lucked into an extra code for the game, which I promptly gave to a deserving GAFer who more than deserved it.

I must say that it just made me saltier about it when I'd look at my activity feed and notice that shadownet had gotten himself a copy of RotTR and I could see him earning achievements.

To this day, I'm still wondering why he added me back on Steam, as I don't think he's even said so much as a word to me since he did and I accepted the request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom