• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I have always wonder what happens if you enter a modbot giveaway twice by accident?

I am not talking about getting more chances, but does it kick you out or do nothing?

IIRC, it just ignores the second entry. Giveaways without "free-for-all" probably get a lot of invalidated second entries.

catabarez

Got around to playing a bit of NightCry and it is pretty fun. Definitely reminds me of the janky horror games made years ago. Controller support would definitely make it easier to navigate.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm pretty positive EA doesn't care at this point. Their games haven't been releasing on Steam for years, so the loss of some customers has to be countered by not having to pay Valve a cut of their sales.

I just wish they saw value in using Steam as a trojan for Origin the way Ubisoft does with uPlay. I actually own a number of uPlay games because they're sold through Steam whereas my Origin collection consists of like 5 games, 2 of which were "on the house".

I haven't even beaten 1 or 2 despite owning both for years. All your screen shots have had been making me want to install them tho.

Honestly, at this point it has to be because of some weird sense of corporate pride, because otherwise it doesn't really make much sense. ALl their multiplayer games that are not numbered Battlefields bomb hard and die quickly, and they sell them in basically every digital download store that also takes those 30% without issues( they even sell them on uplay of all things!)

mp1990

Banned
I've been stuck in the same level of Not a Hero for 2 hours already. Someone, for the love of God, end this pain. The gameplay in this game is pretty fun but seriously, I can't take this no more.

Had no problems whatsoever with it, even though it wasn't the easiest game I've played, but for some hell of a reason the difficulty in this level ramps to a whole new magnitude.

hohoXD123

New recommendation added to the OP:

The Banner Saga 2
- Nete
The Banner Saga was one of the first "big" successful projects we had on Kickstarter, taking advantage of the momentum started by Broken Age one month earlier to fund a story-driven SRPG with some fine writing, great characters and a pretty unique Norse-ish setting. On it, we will lead a caravan of people fleeing from their homes as their only chance to survive in a world where the gods are dead, and the game really shines making you feel the burden of leadership each time you must face a decision in a journey system reminder to the old Oregon Trail. The combat is also kinda unique, and although it could do with more variety of everything, the use of Health as both, Life and Attack power, makes for a really interesting and refreshing system once it clicks in your head. It's also a stupidly gorgeous game, combining backgrounds inspired in the work of Eyvind Earle and 2D animations with some good ol' hand-drawn feeling. The music by Austin Wintory is the icing on the delicious cake that is the game fantastic atmosphere.

The Banner Saga 2 promises to do everything the first game did, but better.

I forgot this was releasing in a couple of weeks. Really enjoyed the first one, this is definitely on my radar.

If you've never won, you have a better chance of winning since constant winners get throttled by Modbot.

I believe more than 6 wins in a week gets you throttled and there is an immediate throttle, 15mins+(?), if you win.

I have always wonder what happens if you enter a modbot giveaway twice by accident?

I am not talking about getting more chances, but does it kick you out or do nothing?

I think it knocks you out. If you enter 2 giveaways from the same one and there isn't a free for all, I know you are out. There is a command to flush all your still pending entries, but I've forgotten what that is!

hohoXD123

It's been almost two years since Kentucky Route Zero Act III got released. Let us relive the memories of that day.

Anyway, it does look like each new act takes twice as much time as its predecessor:

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

They said it was almost done back in November, so maybe it releases this year at least (which would probably mean we'd be playing Act V as early as 2020)? They also posted this thing on their Twitter a few weeks back, looks pretty good.
Wow, it has actually been two years?! I only got it when Act 3 released, can barely remember the story. I'll probably wait until all the acts are released then just replay it.

mp1990

Banned
I believe more than 6 wins in a week gets you throttled and there is an immediate throttle, 15mins+(?), if you win.

I think it knocks you out. If you enter 2 giveaways from the same one and there isn't a free for all, I know you are out. There is a command to flush all your still pending entries, but I've forgotten what that it!

But like, throttled for life? Or just a specific time span, like two weeks or one month? Because that would explain a lot actually, lol.

Sarcasm

I ask cause I accidently entered twice for the same giveaway.

Ask of you talking about hyper drift light while I can't wait to get home to buy enter the gungeon even though I got nuclear throne, monthly bundle, groupees, division, ds3 and some other game.

What to doooo

tmarg

Throttling only lasts a day or two at max, iirc. Wouldn't come up that often if you are only entering for big ticket items.

But like, throttled for life? Or just a specific time span, like two weeks or one month? Because that would explain a lot actually, lol.

Probably only for the rest of the week. I don't think too many people are winning more than 6 a week anyway nowadays.

-MD-

I don't see much talk of Vermintide on here, is that because those who enjoy it are busy playing or is this game old news already?

I played the first couple weeks of launch, it was only good if you had a full team of friends, the community was pretty terrible and 90% of my pub runs resulted in someone trying to exploit and wiping the team.

I haven't been back since, decent game but pretty buggy and yeah, the community was shit like I said.

We finally finished the Indie GOTY thread, which should be relevant here as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1203844

:)

Neon Struct - $17,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
http://www.neonstruct.com/

A stealth game with a solid plot and an aesthetics that refers to the old Deux EX, with the game being clearly inspired by it, and while it may look simple Minor Key Games nailed the feel. The level are vast and with different routes to finish each mission, also there are secret stashes to find if you like to explore.

Fuck, how did I not hear about this? Fucking sold. Eldritch's stealth mechanics were so damn good.

I don't see much talk of Vermintide on here, is that because those who enjoy it are busy playing or is this game old news already?

It was an okay game but it has a lot of faults in terms of design and balance. Once ningenjanai and I finally managed to finish the campaign a second time (since the first time we beat the final level the game glitches out on us and denied us the ending) neither of us had any inclination to fire it up again. I left it installed but don't really expect to play it again any time soon.

I found it difficult to get others for a game when I played it a couple months back =/

Seems to be about 2 dozen or so Australian players, which is apparently better than Star Wars Battlefront at Christmas time since it took well over half an hour to find a match for that game, whereas Vermintide waits haven't been longer than 5 minutes.

I played the first couple weeks of launch, it was only good if you had a full team of friends, the community was pretty terrible and 90% of my pub runs resulted in someone trying to exploit and wiping the team.

I haven't been back since, decent game but pretty buggy and yeah, the community was shit like I said.

It was an okay game but it has a lot of faults in terms of design and balance. Once ningenjanai and I finally managed to finish the campaign a second time (since the first time we beat the final level the game glitches out on us and denied us the ending) neither of us had any inclination to fire it up again. I left it installed but don't really expect to play it again any time soon.

I guess my limited knowledge of the game and the handful of games I've played has kept me safe from those experiences. I was hoping it'd be a nice community but that seems to be a really high ideal when the internet is involved.

I uninstalled Vermintide after beating it once. Felt like a slower paced L4D2 with much worse AI. Although I didn't have the chance to play it with friends but only with random people, unfortunately.

Tenrius

In other Kickstarter news, The Last Door Season 2 has been out for a few days. I played the first one around Halloween and thought it was great (outside of a few obscure puzzles). Played halfway through Season 2 and it's just as great.

For those not in the know, it's a horror adventure game with a Victorian setting. It's best described as Lovecraft meets Edgar Allan Poe (there's an easter egg involving a raven flying through a window and saying "Nevermore") and has an extremely low-res 2D look:

ss_a3193b3ebbcdbe290da5fcc6f84bbe2933a35254.jpg

I don't think it could be called a retro style, just because the actual classic adventure games this title takes inspiration from usually had higher resolutions and also had a much poorer color palette. Those two facts combined give it a unique abstract look that really fits the horror genre and the game also looks super smooth in motion. I definitely recommend it if you like Lovecraft/Poe (maybe a dash of Zelazny with his Night in the Lonesome October), horror in general and/or adventure games. You could also check out an old Dusk Golem thread about Season 1.

I uninstalled Vermintide after beating it once. Felt like a slower paced L4D2 with much worse AI. Although I didn't have the chance to play it with friends but only with random people, unfortunately.
I've never liked the L4D series, it's ok with friends (but again which game wasn't?), nothing in the L4D games grab me, well except for Smokers.

didn't have much of a wanting to see BvS (would have preferred Man of Steel 2) and still don't...supposedly they've started reshooting scenes or whatever for the Suicide Squad movie to make it "more fun" or "less serious" or something because of the reaction to BvS

The darker tone wasn't the problem, I actually didn't have a problem with it. Snyder 'ruining' Batman and the story being mess were the problems.

For me anyway.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Popstar, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Popstar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Darkest Dungeon -- MB-BD6E5A7148916AF3 - Taken by neonglow. 46 entrants total.

t1459650767z1.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not sure what people hyped ZombiU up about on WiiU. The PC port is pretty standard. The only gimmick that's interesting is the on-death retrieving your body. Otherwise it's a pretty subpar Zombie Survival Sim so far.
Up to Buckingham Palace.

Jawmuncher

I'm not sure what people hyped ZombiU up about on WiiU. The PC port is pretty standard. The only gimmick that's interesting is the on-death retrieving your body. Otherwise it's a pretty subpar Zombie Survival Sim so far.
Up to Buckingham Palace.

It kind of fills a empty place for zombie games. Since most zombie survival games these days are open world style stuff. So it's nice having something that's a change of pace from the usual.

Volimar

Up to Buckingham Palace.

The console people have the gimmick of the Wii U controller.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, there weren't a lot of survival horror games being made period when the game came out. That alone got it a lot more attention from the horror starved.

Corpekata

Banned
Geez it wasn't THAT long ago.

Wasn't saying it was. But it was during a long horror drought as far as consoles went, especially survival horror, with all the franchises going action heavy or spiralling out. Resident Evil and Silent Hill both had releases that year that not many liked.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Chip -- MB-6E02964D5F6F0215 - Taken by Saty

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wasn't saying it was. But it was during a long horror drought as far as consoles went, especially survival horror, with all the franchises going action heavy or spiralling out. Resident Evil and Silent Hill both had releases that year that not many liked.

As a survival horror it isn't bad (though I dislike how the game is switching between controller and keyboard and mouse despite me playing it KB/M and no controller plugged in on boot. :|) but as a shooter it's pretty average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom