• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

It's been almost two years since Kentucky Route Zero Act III got released. Let us relive the memories of that day.

Anyway, it does look like each new act takes twice as much time as its predecessor:

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

They said it was almost done back in November, so maybe it releases this year at least (which would probably mean we'd be playing Act V as early as 2020)? They also posted this thing on their Twitter a few weeks back, looks pretty good.
I actually bought this close to release, played a bit and then decided to wait until all episodes were out...

funny-skeleton-waiting-in-garden.jpg

r3n4ud

Sound like some sort of electronic indie rock. Not bad, but not my kind of thing.

I only got one spider joke left in my system, no idea when or even if I'll unleash it.
I hear ya. I don't listen to much music, but if I did, Chvrches would not be it.

Anyone ever used reapershop.com for steam keys? Are they legit?

Listed off this article: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...apest-place-to-buy-steam-games-anymore-784240

You sure they sells keys and not scythes?

zkylon

zkylewd
It's been almost two years since Kentucky Route Zero Act III got released. Let us relive the memories of that day.

Anyway, it does look like each new act takes twice as much time as its predecessor:

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

They said it was almost done back in November, so maybe it releases this year at least (which would probably mean we'd be playing Act V as early as 2020)? They also posted this thing on their Twitter a few weeks back, looks pretty good.
still interested in the next episode but i barely remember anything about that game anymore

I only got one spider joke left in my system, no idea when or even if I'll unleash it.
use it on someone else

AHA-Lambda

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

Didn't they say months back that ep 4 was coming soon? >_>

neonglow

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing -- MB-581B528B03882A7E - Taken by e90Mark. 7 entrants total.

t1459641406z1.png

Tenrius

the release disparity between episodes completely killed any momentum that game had going. I loved episode 1 but havent touched the rest (I think I played a bit of ep2...maybe? maybe even finished it, I have no clue)

Well, it still has plenty of momentum for me. Actually, I'm more excited for KR0 Act IV/V than any other upcoming game. It's just that good! I'd argue even a single episode provides an absolutely magical and complete experience. With three episodes available to play right now, I'm not sure why you're still here.

It's not like a typical episodic game (or a typical game at all), KR0 is genius and will go down in gaming history as an absolute classic. Saying the game isn't complete because not every episode is out yet is basically like saying The Force Awakens isn't enough and they should have released the whole trilogy at once.

Didn't they say months back that ep 4 was coming soon? >_>

The wording actually suggested it was right around the corner and it's been 5 months since then, but oh well:

It doesn't really bother me, but I do want to play the remaining episodes.

Anteater

Unless you're playing on the hardest hardest difficulty where enemies don't drop ammo or something, crafting isn't all that useful. I think I did it once to get that mod that keeps you from damaging yourself with rockets. Most of the parts you need you'll pick up.

yeaah this makes no sense to me haha, i'll just craft whatever

January 7, 2013 (Act I)
May 31, 2013 (Act II)
May 6, 2014 (Act III)

I've gone through 3 operating system and 2 PC upgrades while this game has been releasing. I truly do not understand why there is no backlash for how ridiculously slow it's getting released. Any other developer would have been raked over the coals a million times for doing this.

Grief.exe

I've gone through 3 operating system and 2 PC upgrades while this game has been releasing. I truly do not understand why there is no backlash for how ridiculously slow it's getting released. Any other developer would have been raked over the coals a million times for doing this.

Game development takes time.

As long as they keep delivering quality work I don't see how you can argue they aren't delivering their product.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Uzzy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Something suspicious is going on with giveaways today. Trust no one.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dark Souls III -- MB-5E51D561080DFA46 - Taken by laserlaser. 119 entrants total.

t1459642723z1.png

Game development takes time.

As long as they keep delivering quality work I don't see how you can argue they aren't delivering their product.

I didn't argue that they're not delivering the product. I'm saying that they're super fucking slow at it. I don't think this is a particularly controversial assertion.

The game was Kickstarted a full five years ago and they've released 60% of the game so far. That combined with their incredibly infrequent updates would probably land this in the red zone for Stump's Kickstarter spreadsheet. And yet, I imagine it hasn't.

I imagine other developers who did something like this would not get the same understanding that the KR0 devs do. Who knows though.

Video games take years to make. A small indie game by a small team could potentially take just as many years to make as a large triple A game made a large studio even though there's a vast difference in scope and scale when you compare an episodic indie point and click adventure game to insert triple A title here.

Cardboard Computer is 3 people.

Perhaps you should refrain from buying into episodic games until all of the content is released.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I didn't argue that they're not delivering the product. I'm saying that they're super fucking slow at it. I don't think this is a particularly controversial assertion.

The game was Kickstarted a full five years ago and they've released 60% of the game so far. That combined with their incredibly infrequent updates would probably land this in the red zone for Stump's Kickstarter spreadsheet. And yet, I imagine it hasn't.

I imagine other developers who did something like this would not get the same understanding that the KR0 devs do. Who knows though.

I don't track them because they KSed less than $75k (for logistics reasons I can't track 2000 projects so I set a threshold where I think a) I'll be able to handle the updates and b) where I think they're taking enough money for it to really matter if they fail). I'm not really sure what I'd do with them if I did. There's one project called Starcraft Universe, which is a Starcraft mod, that has updated about once a year, but every time they update there's clearly a year's worth of progress, so it's difficult for me to fit that as comparable to normal projects, where silence of more than a few months clearly implies production issues.

The other thing that KR0 reminds me of is something like Star Citizen in that ongoing sales are clearly brisk enough to keep them continually employed making the game, so there's little risk of the most common kind of failure: running out of money and not being able to work on the game anymore.

Historically I've been pretty forgiving of very slow projects as long as there's steady progress and an indication that financially everything is above board.

I do expect KR0 to finish, probably this year or early next, but it's by no means guaranteed and I personally haven't bought it in part due to that trepidation.

Just got back from Batman/Superman. I had the bar pretty low, but Snyder should not make anymore more superhero movies.

I'm also suddenly interested in the Wonder Woman movie.......

Just got back from Batman/Superman. I had the bar pretty low, but Snyder should not make anymore more superhero movies.

I'm also suddenly interested in the Wonder Woman movie.......

didn't have much of a wanting to see BvS (would have preferred Man of Steel 2) and still don't...supposedly they've started reshooting scenes or whatever for the Suicide Squad movie to make it "more fun" or "less serious" or something because of the reaction to BvS

Popstar

In celebration of Annoying Lie Day being over.
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Popstar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Darkest Dungeon -- MB-BD6E5A7148916AF3 - Taken by neonglow. 46 entrants total.
t1459650767z1.png

Anno

Less than an hour left if you want to get in. Again, I've never given away a Steam gift before, so if you win and the thing is fucked up please PM me and I'll send it directly. In the meantime I have to solo-support this Dota group ;_;

***The code that indicates Indigo Prophecy is actually for Hyper Light Drifter.***

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Something suspicious is going on with giveaways today. Trust no one.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Anno, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition -- MB-FE4B65AABB709672 - Taken by Ludens. 35 entrants total.
XCOM 2 -- MB-79229119B8CD88F2 - Taken by dave is ok. 55 entrants total.
Indigo Prophecy -- MB-2F8E681DE015B3CA - Taken by dot. 62 entrants total.

t1459643683z1.png

Is that Dead Space 2 or 3?

I wish EA used Steam as trojan for Origin and still sold their games through Steam. I know why they don't, they don't want to have to give Valve a cut of their games but it's also why I don't buy EA's PC games anymore.

titch

Is that Dead Space 2 or 3?

I wish EA used Steam as trojan for Origin and still sold their games through Steam. I know why they don't, they don't want to have to give Valve a cut of their games but it's also why I don't buy EA's PC games anymore.

Pretty positive they will be missing out on some sales due to not being on steam.

Getting back into Afterbirth after a short break and I beat
Mega Satan
on my first real run don't tell anyone it was with Azazel

Pretty positive they will be missing out on some sales due to not being on steam.

I'm pretty positive EA doesn't care at this point. Their games haven't been releasing on Steam for years, so the loss of some customers has to be countered by not having to pay Valve a cut of their sales.

I just wish they saw value in using Steam as a trojan for Origin the way Ubisoft does with uPlay. I actually own a number of uPlay games because they're sold through Steam whereas my Origin collection consists of like 5 games, 2 of which were "on the house".

dead space 3

it's cool so far

go play iiiiit

I haven't even beaten 1 or 2 despite owning both for years. All your screen shots have had been making me want to install them tho.

MRORANGE

New recommendation added to the OP:

The Banner Saga 2
- Nete
The Banner Saga was one of the first "big" successful projects we had on Kickstarter, taking advantage of the momentum started by Broken Age one month earlier to fund a story-driven SRPG with some fine writing, great characters and a pretty unique Norse-ish setting. On it, we will lead a caravan of people fleeing from their homes as their only chance to survive in a world where the gods are dead, and the game really shines making you feel the burden of leadership each time you must face a decision in a journey system reminder to the old Oregon Trail. The combat is also kinda unique, and although it could do with more variety of everything, the use of Health as both, Life and Attack power, makes for a really interesting and refreshing system once it clicks in your head. It's also a stupidly gorgeous game, combining backgrounds inspired in the work of Eyvind Earle and 2D animations with some good ol' hand-drawn feeling. The music by Austin Wintory is the icing on the delicious cake that is the game fantastic atmosphere.

The Banner Saga 2 promises to do everything the first game did, but better.

MRORANGE

New recommendation added to the OP:

Enter the Gungeon
- More_Badass
Take the wild weapons, crazy items, and weird enemies of Binding of Isaac, mix it with the satisfying shooting and skillful dodging of Nuclear Throne, and then add some more tactical elements and a ballistic-themed fantasy world of gun-toting bullets and weapon crafting witches, and that's Enter The Gungeon.

A frenetic dual-stick shooter with roguelite aspects, Gungeon drops you into the titular fabled dungeon where all manner of odd enemies and traps lurk. Luckily, there are over 200 guns to be found, from your generic pistols and shotguns to more exotic arms that unleash bees or oil or shark-infested waters, as well as myriad items that embue you with special abilities and game-changing buffs. A three-weapon loadout means you can discover synergies for any situation, and when bullets aren't enough, you can take cover or deftly dodge-roll around incoming projectiles

And those skills aren't enough, you can always bring a friend for some local co-op action

Gungeon looks pretty fun.

I don't see much talk of Vermintide on here, is that because those who enjoy it are busy playing or is this game old news already?

I was the only one to give it a vote for a place on the 2015 SteamGAF GOTY list.

I thought it was one of the best co-op games to come out last year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm pretty positive EA doesn't care at this point. Their games haven't been releasing on Steam for years, so the loss of some customers has to be countered by not having to pay Valve a cut of their sales.

I don't think it's countered or just a small amount of customers as EA's games always fly up the Top Sellers list when they're on sale and yet Origin's performance metric changed from total number of accounts to total number of "installs" (i.e. downloads). Origin is successful enough without the more recent games being available on Steam, that much is absolutely true, but I think it's quite obvious at this point that people who are introduced to EA's games on Steam are, by and large, not moving to Origin to play the more recent entries and so there is most definitely a sizeable amount of money being left on the table.

It's not much of a secret that EA left Steam behind because of Valve implementing a policy that DLC for games sold on Steam must be available on Steam as well, but this is no longer an issue. The other shoe is going to drop eventually.

Sarcasm

I have always wonder what happens if you enter a modbot giveaway twice by accident?

I am not talking about getting more chances, but does it kick you out or do nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom