• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watevaman

Not sure if this fits here, but since it's the Steam thread I figured I'd ask.

I've been trying to copy over an installation of Dirt Rally from my laptop my desktop and it's giving me some issues. My internet at home is crap, so when an 18 gig update was released earlier this week, I decided to just download the whole game to my laptop like I did with Fallout 4 and copy it over. However, it's not working like it did with Fallout 4. Here's what I've done:

-Downloaded the full Dirt Rally game via Steam to my laptop, didn't run the game.
-Copied the Dirt Rally folder from my "common" folder to an external HDD
-Uninstalled Dirt Rally from my desktop and deleted the corresponding folder from where I keep it (it's a directory on another drive, not on my C:)
-Copied the Dirt Rally folder from the external HDD to the same location as my previous installation on my dekstop
-Started Steam, "installed" Dirt Rally selecting the drive that I had originally installed it on
-Steam allocated space, then did it's "detecting existing game files" thing for a while and determined that I needed to download some files

Those files, however, are 26+ gigs. I don't know why Steam isn't recognizing the files from the fresh install. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong, because with my internet it will take over a day of constant downloading to get all those files.

Endruen

CfbUyWyW4AAnFLN.jpg:large

I hope it turns out to be a good game with a lot of content and not just a licensed money grabber.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I've been trying to copy over an installation of Dirt Rally from my laptop my desktop and it's giving me some issues. My internet at home is crap, so when an 18 gig update was released earlier this week, I decided to just download the whole game to my laptop like I did with Fallout 4 and copy it over. However, it's not working like it did with Fallout 4. Here's what I've done:

-Downloaded the full Dirt Rally game via Steam to my laptop, didn't run the game.
-Uninstalled Dirt Rally from my desktop and deleted the corresponding folder from where I keep it (it's a directory on another drive, not on my C:)
-Copied the Dirt Rally folder from the external HDD to the same location as my previous installation on my dekstop
-Started Steam, "installed" Dirt Rally selecting the drive that I had originally installed it on
-Steam allocated space, then did it's "detecting existing game files" thing for a while and determined that I needed to download some files

Those files, however, are 26+ gigs. I don't know why Steam isn't recognizing the files from the fresh install. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong, because with my internet it will take over a day of constant downloading to get all those files.

I don't do this regularly, but I seem to remember one instance where I did this and the download time seemed to imply it was downloading everything all over again, when it was actually just grabbing a few things. Did you let it run for awhile to see if it really was just downloading everything all over again?

Are you against this +1 philosophy that everyone is preaching about? :)

my backlog causes me anxiety and Sony's way of handling PS4 games is the worst as there is no hide option like with the xbox or steam so i'm constantly reminded of the shit i redeemed but havent given any attention to along with shit like the Destiny alpha and beta.

Jawmuncher

I don't do this regularly, but I seem to remember one instance where I did this and the download time seemed to imply it was downloading everything all over again, when it was actually just grabbing a few things. Did you let it run for awhile to see if it really was just downloading everything all over again?

Yep when I've moved done stuff in the past, it was actually just verifying the items.

Watevaman

I can try running it for an hour or so this afternoon, but usually when it's just analyzing it'll say "Validating" instead of "Downloading" like it is with this. It's also giving me an estimated completion time of 1 day +.

I've tried this a couple times now. What's changed this last time is the file size of the folder. My laptop copy is ~40 gigs, but when I first copied it to my desktop and started installing, it dropped the file size to around ~26 then started downloading the update files. It's like it's validating it but seeing all of the original files as not valid and redownloading all of them.

Vuze

Anyone else having trouble signing into the client right now? Browser works fine
nnIh2Na.png

E: As usual, complaining on the internet helps. Just got in.

I think there's something wrong with neogaf, on my phone chrome says m.neogaf.com refused to connect.
Same here.
I had this issue too
Just use http and not https
Remove the s and the site will load fine
Same here.
Getting banned because of a prehistoric lame meme. Truly worthwhile.
That Drumpf app gave me an idea so now I have an extension installed that replaces 'hpy bday' with something else. Last ditch effort. Also my apologies to the anime community, you guys weren't so bad all things considered.
You honestly want to summon them?
Yes, the first time for Crysis. I got it in The Great Origin Disaster of 2012. I'm getting the stealth down and use some speed, but only used strength to stabilize sniping. I want to use strength for throwing dudes around and escaping through holes punched in building walls. It's turning out to be great fun. I think the more suit work I do the less I'll find myself low on ammo.
Stealth is easy but slow since it drains energy crazy fast. Power playing is in my experience more difficult to pull off. There's some impressive videos on Youtube with maximum strength but I can't find them now :(
They changed a lot in the sequel (for the worse imo), so don't have too high expectations.
happy bday meee

call me winty cos i literally got a potato cake (literally a potato with a candle on it) to celebrate my potato foot (i hope someone will give me a real cake later lol)

one year closer to 30 and i still feel like 14

halp
Happy birthday zkylon.

Also, just two days ago it was Deitus' birthday as well! Happy birthday again Deitus!
Happy birthday, zkylon~

NtAnBe7.png
A potato cake. I fear we're gonna loose you soon to that potato cult you're clearly a member of
:p
I knew you went with a server grade Xenon CPU for your PC but man, you do go all on server standards with your PC, don't you?! ;)
A.O.T. WINGS OF FREEDOM - ACTION TRAILER
Looks fun. Great news. Koei is pretty good at bringing their stuff to PC. Nice. NiOh ought to come sooner than later, I'm sure.
For those interested: Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 8.4. This release includes the following changes:
  • Added inventory market support for various games such as H1Z1 and Battleblock Theater
  • Added ability to determine difference between JPY and CNY currency codes
  • Fixed an issue where search results would be duplicated or incorrect under certain circumstances
  • Fixed a bug where some market sections weren't being totaled correctly
  • Fixed a bug where "Open in Steam" would not work if Family settings were enabled
  • Fixed several bugs where user's country code wouldn't be properly detected
  • Fixed a bug where "Add to Wishlist" would sometimes not display properly when browsing discovery queue
This update is available for Google Chrome and should update itself automatically within the next 60 minutes.

Progress is being made on this Mozilla bug and I should be able to start preliminary porting soon after it's closed successfully.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.
:O Very nice!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Copy over appmanifest_310560.acf as well and Steam will consider the game installed (after restarting the client).

Saty

Assault Android Cactus interview: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-07-life-as-an-indie-obscurity-triage-and-trust-issues
"To begin with, we did the checklist, did what you're supposed to do where you send out the press release and work with someone to help you contact press. We prepared a trailer that was pretty good, but there was just an apathy about it."

That apathy dogged the game from its announcement through its debut on Early Access, Dawson said.

"If we were relying on Early Access to bankroll the game, we would have been out of luck," Dawson said. "Luckily, we were very cynical, so we were expecting to make do even if it didn't make us any money. So the trickle that came in was welcome. We were working out of our apartment, so you don't need that much to live, especially if you're living on noodles. Everything was below expectations in that sense."

Much more at the link.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't let everyone else here try to convince you that the Steam controller is the best. It may be the best for them, but you've gotta go with what works for you. I've not plugged my Steam controller in since a few weeks after I bought it, after having an experience pretty similar to yours. I know it's come a long way since then, and I keep trying to convince myself to give it another shot but... I just haven't had a compelling reason to.

I think the only reason I would have for using it would be if I wanted to play a game that didn't have controller support, and it was something I knew I was going to play for quite some time - your example of The Witcher 1 is a good use case. But I haven't really played any games that meet that criteria in the time that I've had it.

In all, I think it's an interesting solution but for my personal gaming needs it's almost an unnecessary one. I get why people like it, and I'm sure I'll be happy to have it (eventually) if I decide to play an older game that takes advantage of it well. However, it's not going to replace my "traditional controller" any time soon.

Exactly. But anytime someone asks "should I get a Steam controller" and you go outright "NO. It's not for everyone and it certainly isn't ready for prime-time" you get a bunch of posts just like Grief's going "LOL GIT GUD UR DOIN' IT RONG" instead of seeing there is fucking issues with the controller that Xinput solves out of box (because: Spoiler
DEVELOPERS ACTUALLY FUCKING MAKE BINDINGS FOR THE 360 CONTROLLERS!
) to where Valve's community has to step-up to do the work for you or you have to dick around for hours which isn't what most people want to do to get a "comfortable config."

There is potential there but the potential simply isn't being met.

I mean let me make another example: Cook, Serve, Delicious by Chubigans added Steam Controller support: Does it work? Yes, it works better than the 360 controller there. Does it work better than a keyboard? Depends on how well adjusted you are in regards to the Steam Controller bindings vs Keyboard and Mouse. But in the end you could go with the standard controller/Xinput or Keyboard and Mouse and miss nothing from it.

But like you said: The "formerly no-controller support" games are what I bought it for. But none of the community has made anything for those genres that are "go-to defaults" and that's where the controller fails hardcore for me.

if youre dicking around for hours with steam profiles for the steam controller then you just have a fetish at that point. I usually find a profile that works within the first minute of playing a game.

My Dark Souls 2 config that i downloaded is terrific: Mouse camera on right trackpad, the right rear pad is B so i can run and dodge and still have camera control at the same time, left rear pad is walk forward so i can adjust items and such without needing to be completely still. Everything else is Xinput

I'm not saying it's a perfect controller but between the extra buttons, the crazy level of customization, battery life, constant updates, usefulness with non-controller games, community profiles, gryo functionality, etc, it's such a damn fine controller that I think i've used my 360 just once in 2016.

I'm a huge fan of xbox controllers, 360 controller is the best controller ever made imo (I'm sure the Xbone and Elite are even better, I haven't got my hands on either yet though).

The D-pad is the only issue really.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
if youre dicking around for hours with steam profiles for the steam controller then you just have a fetish at that point. I usually find a profile that works within the first minute of playing a game.

Let's see what game you're usin--

My Dark Souls 2 config

--Oh, that's why you're finding configs. You're finding configs for shit that works with a 360 controller out of box, but Valve's community is making (IMO pointless) configs for! No wonder you're finding a config in five minutes.

Go look at Just Cause 1 (which I bought because I wanted to play it before JC2 and bought a Steam controller SPECIFICALLY to make it a similar experience to JC2) and look at how many profiles there are. Hint: There's maybe less than 5. This means you, yes you will dick around in-menus for hours trying to make a configuration if you have never made one on the Steam controller before.

How is that user-friendly/out-of-box-able? That's where I'm coming from. I bought the controller expecting Valve to at least have "third person/first-person, <insert-genre-here> default comfortable" configs that you then edit into something that work for you quickly. Not something that requires you to dive into menus for an hour or three to make a configuration because Valve simply couldn't make some default bindings beyond "lol Mouse/Keyboard, lol Trackball, lol controller" defaults. :/

Lain

We're not going to buy any more KT PC ports, right?

Right, guys?

I'm getting it. Hopefully it's a good porting job, though if Arslan was nice enough I can't see why Titan would be worse, to be honest, but anything could happen. I'll just have to bug someone in another country to buy it for me because the price will be inflated.

Let's see what game you're usin--

--Oh, that's why you're finding configs. You're finding configs for shit that works with a 360 controller out of box, but Valve's community is making (IMO pointless) configs for! No wonder you're finding a config in five minutes.

Go look at Just Cause 1 (which I bought because I wanted to play it before JC2 and bought a Steam controller SPECIFICALLY to make it a similar experience to JC2) and look at how many profiles there are. Hint: There's maybe less than 5. This means you, yes you will dick around in-menus for hours trying to make a configuration if you have never made one on the Steam controller before.

How is that user-friendly/out-of-box-able? That's where I'm coming from. I bought the controller expecting Valve to at least have "third person/first-person, <insert-genre-here> default comfortable" configs that you then edit into something that work for you quickly. Not something that requires you to dive into menus for an hour or three to make a configuration because Valve simply couldn't make some default bindings beyond "lol Mouse/Keyboard, lol Trackball, lol controller" defaults. :/

i've made profiles for my games before, it's like a 5 minute process at the most.

It just seems like you might be obsessively configuring some of your games, to which i say that if this is the case then maybe you did find the right controller for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom