• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

So is MRORANGE the only one allowed to make a Steam thread?

I don't believe so but he's the regular thread maker I suppose and where people send their OT Steam reviews afaik. Here's Stump's guidelines from the time before last:

Some ground rules for future months:
- As we tell literally every community, no person is entitled to make a thread.
- If someone is signed up to make an OT and can't, they really should let other people know in advance. It's ok, there's no punishment.
- Let's call 6PM eastern on the 1st the rough deadline for when we make a call about whether or not to call in a replacement. If the designated OP drops in before 6PM eastern to say they're delayed, then we go until midnight eastern. If they don't drop in, or if they do but still can't get it done by midnight, others can step up
- In the future instead of merging, I will lock.
- It's more important to have an OP than to have a super detailed great amazing resourceful OP.

Jawmuncher

We need a list of approved Steam Thread makers.

MRORANGE
Jawmuncher

I talked it over with evilore.
Deal with it nerds. /s

-----

I don't see the issue. Uzzy thread was good, but was made as a joke while we waited for MRORANGE.
The usual deal is if MRORANGE does not say anything about a delay, someone can make a thread. However this time he did mention it would be later, yet another thread was still made.
It wasn't an issue, since they did get merged and they're now both the first two posts. Uzzy still has all his work in the beginning and has the title for the thread still. At the end of the day April Fools should stay only for that day in the OP. Though the updates Uzzy did were later on were fine too. Overall it's not that big of a deal I feel.

We honestly luck out that we can do these fun things. Other such communities could easily get locked or shut down like footy GAF for such things.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm watching TB's video on what he has discussed with Valve. Here are some of the most significant details so far
So far so good, he's saying that Valve doesn't think Steam is actually filled with loads of terrible games, just that there is a perception issue thanks to videos like Jim's and other people picking on specific games that pop up. They want to provide more data to the consumer on why a specific title is being recommended to them and they want to further the individualization of the store for each consumer.
Valve is discussing a system where you are presented with a list of recommended titles, and you can buy those of the list and have one refund with no strings attached per week, no matter how many hours you have put into the game. Some sort of Steam Explorers program with a few benefits. Exclusive forums for Steam Explorers to interact in, badges, etc.
Changes to curator pages, curators will be able to organize and make different categories of curated games. Better integration of curator pages with social media. Curator pages will be able to have videos embedded into the curations.
Valve is working on a keymailer function for devs to directly send games to people through the steam client without the need for the devs to generate a key and email it.

Uzzy

MRORANGE
Jawmuncher

I talked it over with evilore.
Deal with it nerds.

-----

I don't see the issue. Uzzy thread was good, but was made as a joke while we waited for MRORANGE.
The usual deal is if MRORANGE does not say anything about a delay, someone can make a thread. However this time he did mention it would be later, yet another thread was still made.
It wasn't an issue, since they did get merged and they're now both the first two posts. Uzzy still has all his work in the beginning and has the title for the thread still. At the end of the day April Fools should stay only for that day in the OP. Though the updates Uzzy did were later on were fine too. Overall it's not that big of a deal I feel.

We honestly luck out that we can do these fun things. Other such communities could easily get locked or shut down like footy GAF for such things.

I don't want to waste my time, nor do I want to waste mods time. If all that's going to happen is that MRORANGE's OP's are going to get put at the top regardless, then that's good for the community to know, so that no one else actually in the community wastes their time making an OP.

Jawmuncher

I don't want to waste my time, nor do I want to waste mods time. If all that's going to happen is that MRORANGE's OP's are going to get put at the top regardless, then that's good for the community to know, so that no one else actually in the community wastes their time making an OP.

I can understand that. We have had threads where other's were on top. I think in this case, it was just that you made a thread and then when you went to update it. It had already been decided that MRORANGE's thread was better suited, since more informative is put first.

MUnited83

For you.
Limitations for devs to be able to access the option of making trading cards. Possibly a certain number of copies before you can put trading cards on your game.

MUnited83

For you.
Some sort of rules that devs need to abide for when publishing on Steam Direct. When broken the game can be removed from Steam. One of the examples given would be the abuse of copyright to shut down criticism, like taking down reviews of the game on Youtube or banning people from Steam forums for criticizing the game.

Heh, Bayonetta might not be Yakuza, Persona, or another Valkyria game, but I'll take any Platinum title on PC I can get.

Also, Stellaris Utopia HYPE TRAIN GO.

All aboard the Stellaris: Utopia hyppppee train! It's parked right outside.

index.php

(Image is from an April Fools "cross play" announcement between HoI4 and Stellaris.)

Next stop: Utopia.

Pachimari

Welp. Just woke up and bought Paint is Back, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, Ghost 1.0, Cross Set, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and some other stuff. Games I probably won't ever touch. Well besides Paint it Back which looks very interesting, Ghost 1.0 which I've heard is a great game and Momodora if I manage to actually complete Momodora 3.

Lomax

It's not like that should be a surprise, it's happened multiple times before. MrOrange was anointed de facto creator of SteamGaf OPs for whatever reason ages ago, regardless of the fact that he doesn't even participate in the community. It's not like it really matters, no one reads the OP anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are there really no way of getting to own free games with no dlc without installing?

Technically, free games registered to your account through the store don't count as owned unless they use a No Cost sub, but, yeah, those that use a Free on Demand sub (which is virtually all of them) and for which you don't own DLC will disappear from your library when uninstalled. I can understand the FoD licence type not conferring a +1 as it prevents bot accounts and the like from artificially inflating their Steam Community game count in an effort to appear legitimate, but there's no reason why such a game shouldn't be permanently attached to your library while the licence is active. The DLC requirement is just a relic from when free games were dumped into the "Steam" sub that is automatically registered to accounts upon creation.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dirt: Showdown -- MB-BD7DFEC0EA8D7F5A - Taken by Village
Epistory Typing Chronicles -- MB-622EE89B102D4EDD - Taken by Eila
JumpJet Rex -- MB-C1991EC8D7788971 - Taken by Nabs

Nabs

Humble says this key hasn't been touched. Lets hope they are right:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nabs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Deponia Doomsday -- MB-3EB7A91811585D38 - Taken by dave is ok

t1491189219z1.png

Pakkidis

REALLY want Valve to make UI changes to Steam/Library. After all these years it desperately needs one. I know there was rumors a while back with leaked photos, hoping for a release by year end...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
REALLY want Valve to make UI changes to Steam/Library. After all these years it desperately needs one. I know there was rumors a while back with leaked photos, hoping for a release by year end...

There should be a beta at some point in Summer.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That is a very controversial opinion. I'm fairly certain that most people I've seen vastly prefer Dragonfall to Returns and then people seem to think Hong Kong falls somewhere between the two.

What did you like better about Returns?

What? How?!

Are you thinking of Shadowrun: Hong Kong and not Returns????

A solid maybe. There was no going solo in the first game--you controlled the entire village in a more traditional 4X style. It might be kinda Dwarf Fortress-y with the fortress mode/adventure mode split, I guess?

It all sounds very exciting, in any case.

That's... a rather unorthodox opinion. What did you like about Returns? Because whatever it is, Dragonfall quite objectively did it better (story, gameplay, level design, combat, soundtrack, polish, etc). Unless there's something else I haven't noticed that Returns did better?

I'm very interested to hear why you prefer Returns, which of course is a great game in its own right, but I consider it the least amazing of the HBS trilogy.

Ok, I think dragonfall abused the enemy waves, most of the missions felt like they had too many enemies, felt like a cheap resort to make the game harder or longer.

Also I think the first game was better balanced, I really enjoyed the first one but felt dragonfall was cheating / unfair a few times.

The game was buggier, for some reason saving stopped working midway into the APEX mission, looked at community and it seems it's a common issue https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/0/615085406657648560/

The only thing better about dragonfall was the story which was more fledged, I don't think dragonfall was a bad game, I just think returns was superior gameplay wise.

Backlogger

It's not like that should be a surprise, it's happened multiple times before. MrOrange was anointed de facto creator of SteamGaf OPs for whatever reason ages ago, regardless of the fact that he doesn't even participate in the community. It's not like it really matters, no one reads the OP anyway.

As and on and off member of this thread I've never understood this and thought it was weird

All aboard the Stellaris: Utopia hyppppee train! It's parked right outside.

Next stop: Utopia.

Everyone knows we need a HoI4 to Stellaris import tool.

I want to see a Europa Universalis: Rome to Stellaris Ultra-Mega-Campaign play out. I mean, technically you don't really need a HoI4 to Stellaris converter I guess since you'll be able to set up a government to match any of HoI4's, but w/e.

That or an Alien Invasion for HoI4 like CK2's Sunset Invasion.

Sarcasm

Yea I can't progress in Hollow Knight whatsoever.

Fighting the controls more than the game is ruining the fun out of it. I never had this control issue in Souls. I dunno what it is, thought it was input lag as sometimes things didn't register or took 3 seconds.

I tried three different controllers. Xbox 1, Xbox 360, and DS4. All wired. Same thing.

Guess I can make new character in Souls..=S

Maybe come back to HK a month later.

Laieon

Picked up Danganronpa 1 last night, ended up losing track of time while playing it (which hasn't happened in a long time). Took awhile to really kick in though (the beginning was pretty slow). How long is the game? The only similar game I've played was Phoenix Wright 1.

I'm considering picking up 2 also since that's also on sale, but I'm a little worried about burn out.

I could have played more Nier tonight, instead I spent my time watching Wrestlemania and barely paying attention to it.

Picked up Danganronpa 1 last night, ended up losing track of time while playing it (which hasn't happened in a long time). Took awhile to really kick in though (the beginning was pretty slow). How long is the game? The only similar game I've played was Phoenix Wright 1.

I'm considering picking up 2 also since that's also on sale, but I'm a little worried about burn out.

I put in about 30-35 hours into the game I think.

Nabs

Yea I can't progress in Hollow Knight whatsoever.

Fighting the controls more than the game is ruining the fun out of it. I never had this control issue in Souls. I dunno what it is, thought it was input lag as sometimes things didn't register or took 3 seconds.

I tried three different controllers. Xbox 1, Xbox 360, and DS4. All wired. Same thing.

Guess I can make new character in Souls..=S

Maybe come back to HK a month later.

I gotta wonder what's going on with your controls. This isn't a widespread thing at all. Are you having any performance issues?

Tizoc

Except they did read the op for these 2 april threads
The first post is worth looking at to see what games are releasing i. The month that may interest someone

Sarcasm

I gotta wonder what's going on with your controls. This isn't a widespread thing at all. Are you having any performance issues?

V on = 60

V off = 200+

I had to use the beta on steam to get rid of the weird stuttering it had. Going back to non-beta gets it.

Also

On Soul Master Boss...tips? After 7th attempted I watched YT. Why does he do different moves than what I see in game? Example is in YT his down smash doesn't produce waves from impact while in my game there are waves. What gives?

Nabs

V on = 60

V off = 200+

I had to use the beta on steam to get rid of the weird stuttering it had. Going back to non-beta gets it.

Also

On Soul Master Boss...tips? After 7th attempted I watched YT. Why does he do different moves than what I see in game? Example is in YT his down smash doesn't produce waves from impact while in my game there are waves. What gives?

Those waves are normal, it can be random. I recommend healing when he's knocked out for a bit, and don't try to be too greedy. Take your time with him.

Do it 2 is an improvement in almost every way.....except like "improved" hangman...

Welp. Just woke up and bought Paint is Back, Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, Ghost 1.0, Cross Set, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and some other stuff. Games I probably won't ever touch. Well besides Paint it Back which looks very interesting, Ghost 1.0 which I've heard is a great game and Momodora if I manage to actually complete Momodora 3.

If it makes you feel better, I just dropped almost $200 on Comixology's "basically every Image comic ever is 80 cents an issue" sale this weekend when i've already got a hilariously long comixology backlog and probably should have just gotten Unlimited instead.

Blaz Blue CSE is really good: given you have that there's basically no reason to ever play GG XX. Paint it Black can also consume your life with picross goodness if you let it.

Ascheroth

Limitations for devs to be able to access the option of making trading cards. Possibly a certain number of copies before you can put trading cards on your game.

I sure hope this does not affect legit games that just don't have many sales.
House in Fata Morgana has like 3000 owners (a crime) but it sure as hell deserves trading cards.

Pachimari

Started playing Batman: A Telltale Series and I'm really impressed by it so far. I'm not sure how forgiving the game is for not hitting the marks during battles but it seems pretty forgiving. Anyway, I love the look of this game. Does it keep up through all 5 episodes?

Started playing Batman: A Telltale Series and I'm really impressed by it so far. I'm not sure how forgiving the game is for not hitting the marks during battles but it seems pretty forgiving. Anyway, I love the look of this game. Does it keep up through all 5 episodes?
TellTale Batman is OK-to-fun. I'd say it starts good and dwindles in quality, with the last episode being disappointing. It gives you what you want for the most part, though, so I guess I enjoyed it overall. I would've liked it more if it were more focused--without spoiling anything, the story kind of goes too many places for the time they have.

You should post a screenshot here if you get the neck glitch. And, don't worry, you will recognise it if it happens.
Everyone knows we need a HoI4 to Stellaris import tool.

I want to see a Europa Universalis: Rome to Stellaris Ultra-Mega-Campaign play out. I mean, technically you don't really need a HoI4 to Stellaris converter I guess since you'll be able to set up a government to match any of HoI4's, but w/e.

That or an Alien Invasion for HoI4 like CK2's Sunset Invasion.

If anyone's crazy enough to do it, it's Paradox.

The only reason they would hold out is because of a grand strat game set after HoI. It's the only logical conclusion.
Ok, I think dragonfall abused the enemy waves, most of the missions felt like they had too many enemies, felt like a cheap resort to make the game harder or longer.

Also I think the first game was better balanced, I really enjoyed the first one but felt dragonfall was cheating / unfair a few times.

The game was buggier, for some reason saving stopped working midway into the APEX mission, looked at community and it seems it's a common issue https://steamcommunity.com/app/300550/discussions/0/615085406657648560/

The only thing better about dragonfall was the story which was more fledged, I don't think dragonfall was a bad game, I just think returns was superior gameplay wise.
Interesting, thanks for the answer. You're the only person I've ever heard of that prefers Returns to Dragonfall, so it's fascinating to get an insight into why.

Personally, I've always viewed Dragonfall as categorically superior in every respect--it feels like a BG1-BG2 kind of sequel, capitalising on all the best aspects of the previous. Except unlike BG1, I've never had a particularly high regard for Returns--any time I recommend it I'm careful to couch expectations appropriately so people don't get the wrong idea about the series.

Like, the Returns to Dragonfall leap in quality is one of the most impressive I've ever seen, game-to-game, for a developer. If I didn't know already, I'd struggle to believe the same teams made them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom