• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

I read this several times, but...is this true? I mean, I can't find an official source for this, plus some of the preaviously included games have bad reviews from users (Random Access Murder, in example).

RAM was released on the same day as the Monthly, so it did not have reviews back then.

kionedrik

It included Husk, which has mixed reviews

Wasn't the release date the same as the monthly it was in?

Speaking of the HM, I've been enjoying The Witness for the most part but often I get the feeling that I'm not solving puzzles but trying to read the developers mind, similar to the moon logic employed in the old point & click games. Either way it must be doing something right because it engaged me and I can't wait to get back to it.

Speaking of the HM, I've been enjoying The Witness for the most part but often I get the feeling that I'm not solving puzzles but trying to read the developers mind, similar to the moon logic employed in the old point & click games.

Like the whole reason The Witness is good is because it's not this at all in any way.

Deques

Wasn't the release date the same as the monthly it was in?

Speaking of the HM, I've been enjoying The Witness for the most part but often I get the feeling that I'm not solving puzzles but trying to read the developers mind, similar to the moon logic employed in the old point & click games. Either way it must be doing something right because it engaged me and I can't wait to get back to it.

Yeah, it was released with the last Humble Monthly Bundle, so it was fair for me to say that :p

kionedrik

Like the whole reason The Witness is good is because it's not this at all in any way.

Imho the game has a structural problem. It relies on hubs that more often than not aren't self contained, meaning in order to complete the puzzles in hub A you need to have learned some concept in hub B and C but, since it's an open world with barely any structure, the developer has no way of knowing what the player has learned so it falls on you to look around for the next "tutorial" section. Some might look at this as one of the greatest strengths of the game but I personally think it only serves to frustrate.

I also found a self contained hub (desert temple) where the solution "type" was so obtuse that I only found it by sheer luck as I was leaving due to frustration after looking around for what felt like an eternity. You can't expect the player to stumble upon the solution, that's not good game design. They could easily force you down a path with a certain angle that would make it noticeable.

Aaron D.

Should post this in the Controversial Gaming Opinion thread, but now that I've had the chance to spend some time with The Witness, my conjectures are no longer theoretical.

The Witness is a fine game and all. But Stephen's Sausage Roll is better in almost every way. Like alarmingly so.

Can't go wrong with either. But it's sad that SSR got overlooked in favor of Witness.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Should post this in the Controversial Gaming Opinion thread, but now that I've had the chance to spend some time with The Witness, my conjectures are no longer theoretical.

The Witness is a fine game and all. But Stephen's Sausage Roll is better in almost every way. Like alarmingly so.

Can't go wrong with either. But it's sad that SSR got overlooked in favor of Witness.
I don't think it got overlooked, I just think think it doesn't look like a 30 dollar game so people didn't spend 30 dollars on it.

A demo probably would have helped tremendously

Aaron D.

I don't think it got overlooked, I just think think it doesn't look like a 30 dollar game so people didn't spend 30 dollars on it.

A demo probably would have helped tremendously

Can't argue with any of this.

The Witness certainly has a "full-priced game" look about it, as opposed to SSR.

A demo, and let's be honest...a $20 price tag, would have done wonders for Stephen's Sausage Roll.

But I can't help but think of how many are missing out on a subjectively superior experience.

Reminds me of how popular a game like Civ V is over Crusader Kings 2. Civ is certainly prettier, but CK2 simply destroys it where it actually counts.

Arthea

they both don't hold a candle to the true GOAT - Pain it Back

Stephen's Sausage Roll is stupidly hard though. Which can be considered a good thing but it broke me within a handful of puzzles and I actually like the puzzle game genre. Also working against it are the price, the complete lack of production values and literally zero marketing of the game by the developers. I'm not even talking advertisements or podcasts or anything like that... they can't even be bothered to have an informative store page. It also hasn't had any sort of significant discount or bundle since release. The world has forgotten about it because the developers have not given anyone any reason to remember.

The Witness got dinged for it's price too but it has been on sale and in bundles ever since. Lots of good word of mouth has helped. It actually does have the production values to justify it's price tag and the years it took to craft, especially when you start to appreciate the true beauty of the island.

Also, you say you've spent some time in the Witness but it's hard to discern whether you've spent enough time with it. The brilliance of it's game design unravels in layers at a different pace for everyone.

I only saw a tiny bit of SSR, but does the game have more to it than just solving the sausage rolling puzzles? Because, to stay this without spoilers, The WItness isn't just "Walk up to screen, solve puzzle, walk up to the next screen". If you're claiming SSR is "Better in almost every way" I would hope there are more layers to that game as well.

Eridani

Stephen's Sausage Roll is stupidly hard though. Which can be considered a good thing but it broke me within a handful of puzzles and I actually like the puzzle game genre. Also working against it are the price, the complete lack of production values and literally zero marketing of the game by the developers. I'm not even talking advertisements or podcasts or anything like that... they can't even be bothered to have an informative store page. It also hasn't had any sort of significant discount or bundle since release. The world has forgotten about it because the developers have not given anyone any reason to remember.

The Witness got dinged for it's price too but it has been on sale and in bundles ever since. Lots of good word of mouth has helped. It actually does have the production values to justify it's price tag and the years it took to craft, especially when you start to appreciate the true beauty of the island.

Also, you say you've spent some time in the Witness but it's hard to discern whether you've spent enough time with it. The brilliance of it's game design unravels in layers at a different pace for everyone.

This is what made me give up on SSR. I loved the Witness, finished basically every puzzle, but couldn't even solve the first few puzzles in SSR without brute forcing it by just trying every possible solution. Not that there's anything wrong with a puzzle game being extremely hardcore, but it's really hard for a game to get popular if people get stuck super early and then give up.

sheaaaa

It means that the developer came up with illogical solutions to the puzzles, and rather than employing logic, you have to take guesses and/or try to figure out what the developer was going for.

I found the game to be the complete opposite of this. The game lays out its rules beautifully and simply, and from there, nothing is illogical.

Jawmuncher

Hey, Revolution might be garbage, but there's still one good game in the series in need of porting.

4669c76899.jpg

This isn't Valkyrie Chronicles 2

So, about Nier. Good news, i finally
get rid of 9S after sea boss
, hurray! Bad news - it seems that almost all of my sidequest were marked as failed so I'm forced to do main story missions and find this annoying prick soon. Please don't tell me that i'll be forced to redo failed sidequest from scratch.

Arthea

I'm pretty sure (like 75% sure) that SSR is a major successful troll attempt, everything about that game looks so incredibly bad, I wouldn't pay even 1€ for it, let alone 30.
And my hunches are usually spot on.

Hektor

So, about Nier. Good news, i finally
get rid of 9S after sea boss
, hurray! Bad news - it seems that almost all of my sidequest were marked as failed so I'm forced to do main story missions and find this annoying prick soon. Please don't tell me that i'll be forced to redo failed sidequest from scratch.

Okay, I won't tell you

The Talos Principle is still my favorite puzzle game in recent memory.

I liked how that game took elements that have been beaten to the ground (Put box on switch to open door, use mirrors to reflect light where it needs to go) and created amazing and completely unique puzzles out of them (Okay reflect this light past the 50 corners here, you get two mirrors).

Good puzzles, and for no reason, some interesting story ideas as well.

Knurek

I'm pretty sure (like 75% sure) that SSR is a major successful troll attempt, everything about that game looks so incredibly bad, I wouldn't pay even 1€ for it, let alone 30.

Just play any other increpare game, most of them are freeware, English Country Tune is on Steam as well, and a lot cheaper (and better looking) than SSR.

Wok

Speaking of SSR:
  • the game has never been bundled,
  • its historically lowest price is about 18-20€,
  • Steam reviews are very positive (99%),
  • increpare is apparently a good friend of Jonathan Blow,
  • it was released close to one year ago (on April 18, 2016).
IOFoRVt.jpg
I say it is about time the game is featured in a Humble Monthly bundle. It would only be justice that SSR is featured in the same Humble Monthly as The Witness.

Nillansan

Is Momodora III a particularly long game? I'm looking to maybe complete this one as my next game but if it gets Dark Souls hard of challenging then I'm noping out.

Depends on what you're going for on your first run.

For reference, it took me around 13 hours to get the true ending with a 100% completion rate on Normal (slot 1). It took me about 5 hours to complete the game on Hard (slot 2), I didn't care about the completion rate and went for no damage boss run in preparation for Insane difficulty. Insane difficulty took about 3 hours, didn't care about completion rate or the true ending (slot 3). I did a quick pacifist run on Easy to get the remaining Achievements (slot 5).

tZqKqvT.png

This game is perfection, take your time with it.

Kudo

For reference, it took me around 13 hours to get the true ending with a 100% completion rate on Normal (slot 1). It took me about 5 hours to complete the game on Hard (slot 2), I didn't care about the completion rate and went for no damage boss run in preparation for Insane difficulty. Insane difficulty took about 3 hours, didn't care about completion rate or the true ending (slot 3). I did a quick pacifist run on Easy to get the remaining Achievements (slot 5).

tZqKqvT.png

Took me 3 hours 30 minutes yesterday for my first run, I got the bad ending and map was 92% I think.
I agree it is a great game, short but worth it.

gngf123

Is Momodora III a particularly long game? I'm looking to maybe complete this one as my next game but if it gets Dark Souls hard of challenging then I'm noping out.

You should play Momo IV instead - both are short games but IV (Reverie under the Moonlight) is much better.

Ascheroth

tZqKqvT.png

He meant Momodora III, not Reverie Under the Moonlight

Pachimari

You should play Momo IV instead - both are short games but IV (Reverie under the Moonlight) is much better.
I bought IV yesterday. I think I'll just complete III now that I have started it up anyway, and if it won't take more than 4 hours then that's a decent length for me. And then I can look into IV later in the year.

gngf123

Your hunch isnt spot on this time.

Phawx

That's all I needed to know, I'll definitely pick this up.

It's pretty good so far. It's been a long time since I played MM but it has the same eerie mystery qualities. I also dig that the playable characters have mysterious motives as well.

Nillansan

He meant Momodora III, not Reverie Under the Moonlight.

Damn it. I need to check out Momodora III.

Took me 3 hours 30 minutes yesterday for my first run, I got the bad ending and map was 92% I think. I agree it is a great game, short but worth it.

I was talking about Momodora - Reverie under the Moonlight and completely missed the fact that people were actually talking an earlier entry in the series. I kind of assumed that Reverie under the Moonlight was the third entry.

Okay, I won't tell you
God DAMMIT. This is embarrassing, who the fuck design openworld and sidequests like this in 2017? Everything in this game besides story and combat is done wrong on so many levels and this is kills me inside, i wish they just do linear action game without that stinky bag of openworld bullshit. I was in one step of finishing The Wandering Couple sidequest, so basically i lost 50,000G and nobody warned me that i'm going to point of no return? I almost have no will to finish this game now, not to mention other endings =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom