• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than Brothers?
Absolutely, but Brothers does have an incredible use of the unique control scheme in the ending segment. I found the stuff that led to it very silly and jarring tho whereas Edith just builds and builds to an almost unbearable point of tension in the ending sequences. It's honestly the most affected I've ever been by a game and the first time I've ever shed tears while playing one. Not bawling, but they were there.

I honestly don't remember the ending segments of Ico despite having platniumed the game. I think going for the speedrun trophy zapped all joy out of it for me and I just wiped the memory lol.

AHA-Lambda

Boy I hope so. That game was a crapper.

giphy.gif

That's extremely easy to achieve

tenor.gif

r3n4ud

yeah, I don't get what there isn't to like about Gone Home. Little pricey at full price, maybe, but experience wise worth it. Personally I don't need every game to be 'a game' if there's another thing it wants to do and / or be.
Worth it experience wise? How? She comes hope to find out how
fucked up her family is
. Not exactly a riveting story.

Jawmuncher

yeah, I don't get what there isn't to like about Gone Home. Little pricey at full price, maybe, but experience wise worth it. Personally I don't need every game to be 'a game' if there's another thing it wants to do and / or be.

- Price to Length ratio was way off and this is from someone who usually doesn't care about that sort of thing (though it's not a big deal now cosindering how old it is)

- Differing story tastes. I didn't enjoy the story at all (despite appreciating what it was trying to do) especially with a glaring hole it had. You can tell the development team didn't do much research of the aspect.

Those would be the biggest things that stick out for it.

Well I still didn't play the original VN so I can wait

I feel lied to

I can't recommend it enough, Steins;Gate is best VN I've played and on another level as far as character investment and storytelling, it's become one of my favorite sci-fi stories in any medium. I wish I would have played it a lot sooner. OST brings the emotions hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5pxQUGtNCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYI2eG3DuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImwyFWomvM (theme from Steins;Gate 0)

I would love to see a Steam release of 0, as Knurek said it is already translated and on PC so it would be minimal effort. If buying PSYCHO-PASS guaranteed its release I'd buy a few copies, but I'm not sold on the premise and haven't really heard any good word of mouth.

Ozium

Well now, aren't you a special snowflake.

I was just giving anecdotal evidence that there is seemingly no rhyme or reason to how this works but go ahead and twist it to use it as a personal attack to make yourself feel better

please let me know what people are allowed to post or say in this thread, thanks

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition -- MB-2555BF6490558543 - Taken by sadblob. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations Ultimate Edition -- MB-6A26593B4A0134EA - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.

t1493169093z1.png

wait, modbot registers games in reverse order from the PM?
Also, small note that these are humblebundle keys.

r3n4ud

I was just giving anecdotal evidence that there is seemingly no rhyme or reason to how this works but go ahead and twist it to use it as a personal attack to make yourself feel better

please let me know what people are allowed to post or say in this thread, thanks
Stop being an ass. Every time someone comments on one of your posts you go full attack mode. Calm the fuck down.

Anyways my reply was that I was salty because some of us, myself included, have been waiting for weeks for the normal card drop rate after a refund.

Worth it experience wise? How? She comes hope to find out how
fucked up her family is
. Not exactly a riveting story.

why is any story worth it? Because its journey was satisfying somehow, that's the only good metric you can use. You may not have felt that, but I did, and that's all I need.

Or perhaps I should add that I am a 80s kid, so seeing old tech was a nostalgia thing for me. And going by your criticism:
the 80s were not fun for anyone outside of the white hetero normal. If you think GH is a fucked up family, you should know that the actual era was a loooooooooot worse than that. Seriously.

Also, I have no idea what plot hole Jawmuncher is referring to. Mind explaining that one? It's a long time since I've played this.
edit: literally explained before my edit. :|

Jawmuncher

Gone Home Spoilers

My biggest complaint about the game is the plot hole of the girl leaving the bus headed to basic training to be with her lover. If they would've said she left MEPS that would be fine (You're not bound by anything until you swear in). However they state that she was past that and on a bus to basic training. That is not how things work, even during that time frame. When you're on the bus to basic you're army property. You're not getting off that or you're under extreme watch. I guess she could have for some reason gotten off the bus and ran off. But that idea is so dumb that I can't over look it. Especially when she made more of a ruckus running and going awol, than her going to basic and getting out on some sort of discharge. You can either purposefully fail or get out on certain things. She would have to sit around for a little bit, but she could have gotten a paycheck or two out of the whole deal. Left and then had some money to be with her girl.

I understand it was hard for homosexuals during that time (More than it is now). But if anything she made things even harder on herself doing it the way she did.

Tonton

I can't recommend it enough, Steins;Gate is best VN I've played and on another level as far as character investment and storytelling, it's become one of my favorite sci-fi stories in any medium. I wish I would have played it a lot sooner. OST brings the emotions hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5pxQUGtNCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYI2eG3DuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImwyFWomvM (theme from Steins;Gate 0)

I would love to see a Steam release of 0, as Knurek said it is already translated and on PC so it would be minimal effort. If buying PSYCHO-PASS guaranteed its release I'd buy a few copies, but I'm not sold on the premise and haven't really heard any good word of mouth.

Yeah, it's high on my wishlist, it just wasn't the right price and time yet

Those are some good tracks

Tizoc

The worst thing about this PC bundle is that it is 2 weeks long.
Just why?
Why make such bundles last 2 weeks?

Gone Home Spoilers

My biggest complaint about the game is the plot hole of the girl leaving the bus headed to basic training to be with her lover. If they would've said she left MEPS that would be fine (You're not bound by anything until you swear in). However they state that she was past that and on a bus to basic training. That is not how things work, even during that time frame. When you're on the bus to basic you're army property. You're not getting off that or you're under extreme watch. I guess she could have for some reason gotten off the bus and ran off. But that idea is so dumb that I can't over look it. Especially when she made more of a ruckus running and going awol, than her going to basic and getting out on some sort of discharge. You can either purposefully fail or get out on certain things. She would have to sit around for a little bit, but she could have gotten a paycheck or two out of the whole deal. Left and then had some money to be with her girl.

I understand it was hard for homosexuals during that time (More than it is now). But if anything she made things even harder on herself doing it the way she did.

Humans aren't rational.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Did we already discuss the fact that Trails 3rd drops in early May? Like 8 days from now???? WHO HAS TIME TO PLAY ALL THESE RPGS?!?

Damn, I mean I've been looking forward to Bayonetta on PC for years, Cosmic Star Heroine for years and now Trails 3rd for quite a while too. MY CUP RUNNETH OVER. Someone delay their games until 2018!

Tonton

Did we already discuss the fact that Trails 3rd drops in early May? Like 8 days from now???? WHO HAS TIME TO PLAY ALL THESE RPGS?!?

Damn, I mean I've been looking forward to Bayonetta on PC for years, Cosmic Star Heroine for years and now Trails 3rd for quite a while too. MY CUP RUNNETH OVER. Someone delay their games until 2018!

no delaying 3rd

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Humans aren't rational.

Even less so in their teens, who likely wouldn't even have the knowledge about the proper method of getting discharged and making some money on the side of it. I have no firsthand experience on the process of being accepted into the military, but that seems like the sort of thing you learn about once you're well into it. Which shows a lot about how additional perspective can color our view of something - and I mean that in a positive way! It just seems like, in this case, the 'glaring hole' being mentioned might not actually be that glaring when we consider the entire situation. Jaw just happens to have been in the service, so he has a bit more insight into military training and regulations than most.

Also,
MEPS isn't a term that civilians are familiar with, but 'Basic Training' has instantly understood connotations for anyone living in the US. Makes for far less dramatic impact to have her leave for a medical examination than for Basic, which is depicted in a lot of media as the 'big farewell' to civilian life, for good reason.

Grief.exe

Absolutely, but Brothers does have an incredible use of the unique control scheme in the ending segment. I found the stuff that led to it very silly and jarring tho whereas Edith just builds and builds to an almost unbearable point of tension in the ending sequences. It's honestly the most affected I've ever been by a game and the first time I've ever shed tears while playing one. Not bawling, but they were there.

I honestly don't remember the ending segments of Ico despite having platniumed the game. I think going for the speedrun trophy zapped all joy out of it for me and I just wiped the memory lol.

Now this is an endorsement.

Wok

Absolutely, but Brothers does have an incredible use of the unique control scheme in the ending segment

I first thought you were talking about the ending of Battle Brothers, and I was very confused.

It's honestly the most affected I've ever been by a game and the first time I've ever shed tears while playing one. Not bawling, but they were there.

Oh no, not an onion game! I want cheerful games.

FLD

Holy shit, it's like two years after doing all the normal levels but I finally got this.

JxG7mBT.png

This might actually be my proudest gaming achievement. It's certainly up there with beating Super Meat Boy and getting all the endings in Volgarr the Viking. Goddamn, feels good.

Parsnip

In Gone Home, I was expecting
something real bad right
until the end.
Was expecting to find that the sister hung herself in the attic or some shit.

r3n4ud

something real bad right
until the end.
Same here. But nope, nothing, nada.

Was always waiting for that OMGGGG twist

Volimar

something real bad right
until the end.

Same, especially after it first released and there were so many "OMG powerful story" reactions.

Grief.exe

something real bad right
until the end.

Same here. But nope, nothing, nada.

Was always waiting for that OMGGGG twist

Same, especially after it first released and there were so many "OMG powerful story" reactions.

I thought there was going to be some crazy paranormal surprise, what a wasted opportunity.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Powerful does not equate to something bad happening. A positive story can be just as effective on people.

I thought there was going to be some crazy paranormal surprise, what a wasted opportunity.

Firewatch got the same criticism, despite
the game intentionally hammering at the point of our desire for 'more' as a means of escaping the real world
and it feels like people are missing the point and wanting games to be what they aren't.

Vamphuntr

something real bad right
until the end.

Which is why I found it pretty boring to be honest. I respect what it was trying to do but there is very little payoff or interesting stuff happening in the game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Freeza Under The Shower, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition -- MB-2555BF6490558543 - Taken by sadblob. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations Ultimate Edition -- MB-6A26593B4A0134EA - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.

t1493169093z1.png

FLD

Same. From the moment I saw some newspaper article pinned to a wall or something like that, I totally expected a ghost. It made for great atmosphere, even if it didn't pay off.

Firewatch got the same criticism, despite
the game intentionally hammering at the point of our desire for 'more' as a means of escaping the real world
and it feels like people are missing the point and wanting games to be what they aren't.

The thing about Firewatch is that, unlike Gone Home, the plot is actually about the creepy shit going on. So, while I can appreciate what they were going for, the unsatisfying payoff is a little harder to overlook. I'm a sucker for a good mystery, so once the game started giving me Lost vibes I was totally hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom