• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: oh and Wolfenstein is a game better experienced blind. Trailers give away too much stuff. Seeing new locations that you weren't expecting is a great feeling.

I feel this way about everything. Trailers suck, man. They ruin the sense of discovery for all of the cool stuff in a game/movie/etc.

Once I am sold on a game, I no longer watch trailers for it...generally. I like early/teaser trailers, but once it starts getting closer to release and the trailers are showing all the goodies, I will cover my eyes.

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm

that seems like an awful lot of work tho

Someone posted a ton of them in one of the July threads, it starts here and goes on for a few pages:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=122078764&highlight=#post122078764

I got a foil for Suguri yesterday that I'm hoping will actually sell but I'm kinda regretting not taking the $1.25 buy order that was up yesterday because it's gone today (though no sales show as happening, I assume they just pulled the offer). I went 90 games before I got my first foil ever (from Stealth Bastard Deluxe) and it was worth so little I just kept it.
thanks

some of these are so fucking awful lol

love it

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of xeris, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xeris, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% Orange Juice -- MB-FF9FB504BF2DDC6E - Taken by maty. 14 entrants total.

t1407188799z1.png

Jawmuncher

I wish you could just rate a game you like just like you could before reviews. I don't want to write a review to say its good on steam. But I also don't want to write basically nothing to get my rating on there.

Oh yeah, and we should contact Valve support to get a refund. Yes because OBVIOUSLY Valve will refund gifted games. ugh.

You could ask Steam support to remove the game from your inventory and make it a gift copy in your inventory. They'll do that no questions asked and then you could trade it away. So not exactly a refund but not a total loss either right?

Anyone know what price Path to Thalamus will be?

user237

I wish you could just rate a game you like just like you could before reviews. I don't want to write a review to say its good on steam. But I also don't want to write basically nothing to get my rating on there.

Go for the plus minus format:

+ Minimal effort required
+ Gets the point across
+ People will read the entire review

- No room for detailed points
- Probably won't be highest rated review

GaussTek

I was checking out the Windows 8 Store (for PC), and found that Modern Combat 5 was released there last week.

I kind want to play it, as the game looks really good for being a mobile game. It would be cool if Gameloft decides to release some of their games on Steam in the future too. Yeah I know we don't need more mobile-to-PC ports, but some of them look and play really great, like Asphalt 8.

Anyway, it's there, just in case you don't mind about it not being on Steam, but still want to play it on your PC.

Vuze

You could ask Steam support to remove the game from your inventory and make it a gift copy in your inventory. They'll do that no questions asked and then you could trade it away. So not exactly a refund but not a total loss either right?

Anyone know what price Path to Thalamus will be?

Oh that'd be atleast something, thanks for the info I didn't know that! But thinking about it - there have to be some requirements to meet right? I mean, you could basically play through a game, ask them to remove it from my library and gift it away.

It will be 13€, not sure about $ or other currencies.

ArjanN

The better news is that that means the basically broken multiplayer (laaaaaag) could be resurrected.

Well, this means they're replacing GFWL which should help with that as well, yeah. It was pretty laggy.

IMO It's not a bad idea that they put the bar for rating a game a bit higher. Pretty much every user rating system that's just stars or a number is garbage. Now you at least need to provide some sort of reasoning.

dani_dc

100% Orange Juice finally on a bundle again, glad I skipped buying it on the last few sales.

I probably won't play it today, but if anyone wants to play the game with me in the future feel free to add me.

Bit distracted with my recent Wii U purchase, lots of new games to play there.
If anyone around here wants to race at Mario Kart 8 feel free to add me, my NNID is dani_dreamcast
I'll probably be playing that onlinet a lot in the coming weeks.

derExperte

The geo-lock for Dead Rising 3 will apparently remain. Somebody received an email reply by the costumer """support""" of Capcpom.

Just read this, they really don't know what they're doing. *sigh* The shit I put up with for games, VPN it is then.

Copons

Lots of amazing giveaways and I won Divinity Original Sin from shadownet, many others won arkham knight and shadow of mordor, quite possibly the best week ever on gaf, I'm sad you missed them

That's pretty much the average SteamGAF week, though. :D

oh yeah someone beat dunder at speedrunner

don't think anyone left, shadownet has surgery today, waifu was posted once by Tizoc yesterday and there were 25 pages of backlash

!
And here I was, wondering how the heck did you manage to get to 100 pages in 4 days. Turns out it was all Tizoc's fault! :D

(Also Shadownet! I honestly can't remember (or don't know?) why you're undergoing surgery, nor I know what I'm supposed to say in English, but I guess break a leg and be better ASAP, man! I really mean it!)

Copons, you didn't finish Dark Souls yet, right?
You should continue that journey and post about it.

Everyone should.

Yup... I actually let it fade out months ago: I went on a temporary hiatus because the Darkroot wolf boss had too much hair for my old computer to keep a decent framerate, and then I beat it right after I bought the gaming rig. But meanwhile I broke my Sixaxis L2, and it's very hard to play DS accidentally parrying every three steps. :D
So, until I get a new controller, I'm on a forced hiatus again.

Meanwhile, Idlemaster is BEAUTIFUL.
It's like I've finally found the will to play Broken Age!

Well you'd wanna wait regardless.
Game hasn't been on sale in ages. Keys is the only wait to buy it at a decent price.

Yea it's been suspiciously absent from Steam sales for about a year now.

Probably because they'll never remove GFWL or give the Gold Edition DLC, which is why I refused to buy it to begin with.

Oh that'd be atleast something, thanks for the info I didn't know that! But thinking about it - there have to be some requirements to meet right? I mean, you could basically play through a game, ask them to remove it from my library and gift it away.

They'll only do it for pre-orders (same goes for refunds). You probably can't get them to do it after the game has released unless there are extenuating circumstances (like the game being utterly broken and the publisher authorizing post release refunds).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of BruteUA, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 1 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BruteUA, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

100% Orange Juice -- MB-9AA4AC50ED3414D0 - Taken by fernandes. 17 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
100% Orange Juice (Desura) -- MB-7E293394075F0B33 - Taken by S1n1st3r

t1407189879z1.png

derExperte

While you're here.... better start praying for the safe arrival of your SSD because mine came today in a rather flimsy cardboard envelope and the packaging of the drive itself took a nice hit. Nothing's damaged inside I guess but any more abuse and who knows what would've happened, they need to invest in some padding. Well, at least after complaining Amazon is offering me 32€ rebate which makes the drive an even better deal.

Jawmuncher

Go for the plus minus format:

+ Minimal effort required
+ Gets the point across
+ People will read the entire review

- No room for detailed points
- Probably won't be highest rated review

Thanks took your advice for the steam review. I'll be writing actual impressions for SteamGAF though.

wasn't modbot. the modbot poop list doesn't have any divisive calls on it. there is one game that has like a 40 metacritic that someone told me has since been patched a bunch and doesn't suck anymore, and jshackles posted a moderately positive review of unearthed: the trail of ibn battuta, but besides that i don't imagine anyone will actually serious contest anything on the poop list. if you see a poop next to a game people actually like, it's probably the giver manually overriding it.

Yes it does. Yaiba is in there. :p

Every person I've gifted it to has liked it and said it's totally better than the critics gave it credit for. Fuzzi liked it so much he's started giving it away as well too.

Dr Dogg

While you're here.... better start praying for the safe arrival of your SSD because mine came today in a rather flimsy cardboard envelope and the packaging of the drive itself took a nice hit. Nothing's damaged inside I guess but any more abuse and who knows what would've happened, they need to invest in some padding. Well, at least after complaining Amazon is offering me 32€ rebate which makes the drive an even better deal.

Ah great news, especially considering mine has quite a long way to go. Fingers crossed they use better packaging. I'm still waiting on a dispatch email as it's been saying dispatching now for about a day.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Every person I've gifted it to has liked it and said it's totally better than the critics gave it credit for. Fuzzi liked it so much he's started giving it away as well too.

Fuzzi gonna fuzz ;)

Vuze

They'll only do it for pre-orders (same goes for refunds). You probably can't get them to do it after the game has released unless there are extenuating circumstances (like the game being utterly broken and the publisher authorizing post release refunds).

Thanks, I guess I'll wait two more weeks until I submit a ticket. There's still some hope. Atleast I'm telling me that :p

Man, the censorship in games that you germans have to put up with really sucks.
Game isn't censored at all and I could put up with some minor cuts unless they don't make (parts of) the game unplayable (Sleeping Dogs says hello).

What Capcom did is outright fraud. They put the game on sale without the IP restriction and applied one without any legal reason claiming they were just following what their lawyers said (who probably aren't based in Germany at all). A Capcom representative even said he isn't aware of any plans to lock the game for Germany, so we can "happily buy it and play with our friends".

Two weeks later they add the PRIC-Tag, rendering the game unplayable in Germany and if it wasn't for SteamDB they wouldn't even have told us so we couldn't get our money back via the way spindoctor described.

Well, enough ranting for tonight. I'm just so sad and angry as I was really looking forward to the game. :(

pahamrick

Yep. Yaiba is an amazingly fun ride, I'm pretty close to finishing it but I had a nasty game crash right before I finished the final (I'm guessing) boss, and haven't gotten back to it yet.

I appreciate the thought you put in to your impressions. I'm officially interested in Yaiba and have not bothered playing my PS+ copy of Strider, haha.

Ryne

I also just started playing Yaiba, it is pretty good.

It's another game that was just overpriced at launch and had it's name tied to a bigger franchise with lots of loyal fans, so it got shitted on (Yaiba -> Ninja Gaiden franchise, Sacred 3 -> Sacred franchise)

pahamrick

I also just started playing Yaiba, it is pretty good.

It's another game that was just overpriced at launch and had it's name tied to a bigger franchise with lots of loyal fans, so it got shitted on (Yaiba -> Ninja Gaiden franchise, Sacred 3 -> Sacred franchise)

I can't agree with that. Yaiba from the start was advertised as a spin-off, whereas Sacred 3 was being shown as the next big Sacred game (I mean, it's titled Sacred 3 not Boom, Sacred Z or some such.)

It might have gotten a better reception had they titled it something different and not given the expectation it was going to follow the trend that Sacred 1 and 2 set.

Mono

Here you go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mono, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Ignite -- MB-05067FF9E1ECAE4F - Taken by bluechox2
Litil Divil -- MB-669153523DA485DC - Taken by diablogod
Crystals of Time -- MB-FDA5F9240AA31029 - Taken by Rhaknar
No Time To Explain -- MB-4013ECA9DDA67A0A - Taken by Sendou
The First Templar -- MB-13EBC4F8ED3EB960 - Taken by redlacs
The 39 Steps -- MB-011D6A24DCFCD054 - Taken by WinterDemons
Skyward Collapse Complete -- MB-90C190DD2F63EC58 - Taken by Evrain
N.P.P.D. RUSH Milk of Ultraviolet -- MB-5704DF32579FF161 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Clones -- MB-0F005C6EE7A987F1 - Taken by bobnowhere
Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection -- MB-2D69476A1DEA8E20 - Taken by Tesseract
SpaceChem -- MB-876A53D32FDB8C94 - Taken by Tempy
Deponia -- MB-F9F6729BDE3844E3 - Taken by Hugstable
Hard Reset Extended Edition -- MB-5708EB9802602813 - Taken by Vazduh
iBomber Attack -- MB-BE385B667A9AF835 - Taken by derExperte
Gun Monkeys -- MB-A1AB8FCCADCB2437
Q.U.B.E. Directors Cut -- MB-313CEA96352E71F0 - Taken by Kifimbo

Ryne

I can't agree with that. Yaiba from the start was advertised as a spin-off, whereas Sacred 3 was being shown as the next big Sacred game (I mean, it's titled Sacred 3 not Boom, Sacred Z or some such.)

It might have gotten a better reception had they titled it something different and not given the expectation it was going to follow the trend that Sacred 1 and 2 set.

I think it's fair to say that it should have been titled something different, however there were plenty of chances for fans to see that the game was not a "Sacred" title in spirit but in name only. The devs did show off the game a lot prior to release.

I still do believe it should have been a lot cheaper, which would have helped reception.

Genki

yeah i´m not on that level of skill at all right now.
I´m not even sure if i will even attempt the speed run, it sounds really hard.

It's not so bad because you can just reload saves. That route was done in just over 50 minutes(achievement is 90 minutes) and getting more health\magic wouldn't take a significant amount of time. I was stubborn to a fault really, and got a worse time because of it. Maybe I'll go back and try to improve it once they add content.

BadRamen

So I beat Thief 2014 and honestly I can't really speak on the complaints from a veteran's perspective but my only history of playing a Thief game is about playing Deadly Shadows for about fifteen minutes and getting turned off by the UI, so here are my thoughts:

This game I would say is worth playing, not on a this game is sooooo much better a sequel than 2 or the original, but in a way that you pay less than $15 to play it because I enjoyed the story elements, and although I haven't done ANY of the sidequests, I might be interested in doing them in the next few weeks.

And the stealth wasn't horrible. I played on THIEF difficulty and I had zero problems getting both the don't use focus until the last chapter and the don't kill or knockout anyone achievements. There was at least one time where there was a scripted leap from an edge where you had to be in the exact perfect spot to actually jump, but that was during the tutorial.

All in all, the story/setting is interesting, the stealth while basic is actually pretty serviceable and allows you to do what you need to do to stay unnoticed. I would have preffered some passive skills that weren't based on the focus system (the first bow focus upgrade is actually the only one that doesn't require you to use focus to utilize it!), which could have been another way beside the custom difficulty/scoring you can do to challenge more hardened/veteran players. Maybe a mode to allow you some dangerous free-jumping?

If it is cheap and interests you, fuck it! Play it!

AHA-Lambda

I think it's fair to say that it should have been titled something different, however there were plenty of chances for fans to see that the game was not a "Sacred" title in spirit but in name only. The devs did show off the game a lot prior to release.

I still do believe it should have been a lot cheaper, which would have helped reception.

I think if the game didn't have it's more juvenile sense of humour it may have been received better, that seemed to be a point of contention with many people. From what limited amount I played of it it didn't look like it was worthy of such scorn. Not saying it's great but hardly awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom