• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
How's Enslaved? I wanna play a characyer action game soon on steam (I try to switch up genres all the time and I've been playing too much first person, rpg and shooter lately) and was thinking of starting up either Enslaved or DMC later (is it really bad as people make it out? It got good reviews). Or I could finally play Revengence on PC even though I already beat it on PS3. Finding out my next single player game to play is always hard ha

Also 100% OJ was fun with everyone! RNGesus was with me today!

Turfster

This game I would say is worth playing, not on a this game is sooooo much better a sequel than 2 or the original, but in a way that you pay less than $15 to play it because I enjoyed the story elements,
Which of the shreds of story elements from which of the 5 different stories they Frankensteined together into one sort-of-whole did you like?

How's Enslaved?

It's a pretty fun and not too hard platformer/brawler/shooter thing. The story is batshit insane, tho, but it a very... interesting "huh they really let you run with that?"... way.

Jawmuncher

header_292x136.jpg

Just Beat Transistor just a little while ago and thought I'd share my impressions with SteamGAF. First off I want to say that as of right now it's easily my GOTY nominee. Granted I haven't played much that has come out this year, but I really enjoyed my time with the game a lot. The atmosphere of the game has been one of my favorite in recent memory. Thanks a lot to the very impressive artwork and designs throughout. The games entire world is such a spectacle that I stopped more than once just to admire it. My interest in the world was thanks a lot to the phenomenal music. It's just so relaxing and fits any mood the game goes for so elegantly.
Gameplay was a interesting mix of real time and planning your actions. I found all of the battles to be just the right amount of challenge as I played through. Using both the strategic menu and the moves in real time is the true path to success. Though this ends up being Transistor's biggest issue. The game gives you access to the library of moves far too slowly. Thus you end up getting far too comfortable with what you have been using for awhile, that you'll feel better off just enhancing them than truly changing up how you play. Kind of wish the game let you start out with more moves and levels mainly being unlocks for the enhancements.
Lastly the story I thought did the job it needed to. It kept you going forward and wanting to find out just exactly what was going on. Sure all the questions you have might not get answered. But you get enough to know the basics of what is going on. Which I liked since it lets the player imagine more about the world rather than being told directly everything in detail. Which can take away from the wonder.
All in all Transistor is definitely something everyone should play at some point.

Thanks again CorrosiveFrost for gifting me the game.

Man I love Human Revolution, just started a new game there, done the first couple of missions, so good. Couple of graphical issues here and there (Director's Cut) but manageable.

Teeth

How's Enslaved? I wanna play a characyer action game soon on steam (I try to switch up genres all the time and I've been playing too much first person, rpg and shooter lately) and was thinking of starting up either Enslaved or DMC later (is it really bad as people make it out? It got good reviews). Or I could finally play Revengence on PC even though I already beat it on PS3. Finding out my next single player game to play is always hard ha

Also 100% OJ was fun with everyone! RNGesus was with me today!

Enslaved is not a good character action game based on its playability. Ultra rudimentary fight system, bottom tier auto-platforming, and kinda input-laggy (at least on consoles).

That said, the world is gorgeous, the characters are fun and the cutscenes are kinda amusing. If you are looking for a decent romp and are extremely tolerant of bland gameplay, it's not totally terrible.

HoosTrax

It might have gotten a better reception had they titled it something different and not given the expectation it was going to follow the trend that Sacred 1 and 2 set.
Oddly enough, Larian also sort of did this, but without arousing anyone's ire. I mean, Beyond Divinity was pretty much the same thing as Divine Divinity, but every Divinity game since has been something different, genre-wise, and they've all been moderately to very well received.

Turfster

Gamesplanet is doing a best of recap sale:
  • Oblivion GOTY 75% off
  • Skyrim Legendary 67% off
  • Fallout 3 GOTY 66% off
  • Fallout New Vegas Ultimate 66% off
  • Saints Row IV 100% Uncut 75% off
  • Metro Last Light Complete 100% Uncut 75% off
  • Tomb Raider 75% off
  • Wolfenstein 50% off
  • Total War Rome II 67% off
  • Risen 2 Dark Waters 75% off
  • MGR:Revengeance 50% off
  • GRID 2 REloaded 67% off
  • Alan Wake Collector's Edition 85% off

Uzzy

How's Enslaved?

I really liked it. It's a gorgeous looking game with great art direction and surprisingly solid storytelling. I guess having Andy Serkis doing a bunch of mo-cap acting actually pays off. Who'd have thought it? The story itself is batshit though. Gameplay wise it's pretty basic, and perhaps not quite what you're looking for if you want some character action gameplay.

Enslaved was a really fun action adventure game with more in common with Sands of Time than DMC. It really is a treat, though

You'll want to look up a guide to get the settings right. The ingame resolution setting actually does nothing so if you want something above 720p you need to change some things.

derExperte

I played through Enslaved two times back to back despite horrible screen tearing, setting, story and characters really felt unique.

Gamesplanet is doing a best of recap sale:

Trials Fusion and Child of Light 50% on Steam. Do it, Ubisoft, I know you want to.

And 3,38€ for F:NV is friggin' excellent.

Enco

Enslaved or Heavenly Sword?

HS was my first ps3 game and it's still one of my favorites.

Enslaved seems to have a similar vibe.

StAidan

After buying Bastion during the 2011 winter sale and playing the few minutes necessary to get the achievement for the coal-crafting metagame, I filed it away in my mental “play later” category, but never got back to it until just last week. (After all, I wouldn’t have felt quite right adding Transistor to my backlog until Bastion was done.)

d113d66ef88069d7d35a74cfaf2e2ee917f61133.jpg

Honestly, it took me a fair amount of time to warm up to Bastion. The voiced aspect of the narrative didn’t hook me right away as it did for many other players - in fact, I found it somewhat distracting and stylistically difficult to follow while beating away on the baddies. The combat, while serviceable, didn’t immediately motivate me to experiment with different weapons or special abilities. As a result, I pushed through the first half of the game primarily because I like to finish the games I start, and not because I was particularly impressed with it beyond the superficial stuff.

It wasn’t until all the cores were gathered up that I felt Bastion was finally starting to click with me. By that time I’d had a decent opportunity to upgrade a few different weapons, and the creature variety made me think a bit more about approaching each situation (although I certainly wouldn’t characterize any of the enemy encounters as difficult). In addition, I had put together enough of the backstory that the plot started to get interesting. Narration redeemed. After that point, I was much more motivated to play the game to completion.

The soundtrack and art were superb throughout, but I don’t think there’s a lot of disagreement on that, so no need to go into any great detail there. I can’t think of any area of the game that lacked in the visuals department, although I did find that forested area with the armored frogs to be incredibly annoying.

Regarding optional stuff, I didn’t spend a lot of time with it. First, I’d like to go back and try some of the idol challenges. I enabled one of the idols once, but lost interest in them when I noticed that it deactivated itself when I was done with the level. I didn’t really want to revisit the shrine between each area to keep them turned on. Second, I’m thinking about going through New Game+ after a short break (a month or two).

So, short and sweet, I’d give Bastion a decent recommendation. It wasn’t among the most compelling experiences I’ve found in gaming, nor did it really live up to the level it was hyped at to me. Regardless, it’s a good game and short enough for anyone to give it a fair shake. And it was most certainly good enough to make me look forward to buying and playing Transistor at some point.

Ventara

I enjoyed HS more, though one of the reasons is because Enslaved gave me headaches. Still finished it though. You'll probably like Enslaved a lot if you enjoyed HS and don't get headaches easily.

Hugstable

Banned
I'd pick up Child of Light and a few of the others at the price they're at, unfortunately, they're uplay only keys, so no sale =p

heh, I was still sad the day I found out the ACIV that came with my Video Card was Uplay only. I kept putting the key into Steam just hoping it would redeem there haha.

HS is better imo. Gameplay has a lot more depth and it's also better in terms of story/characters.
Enslaved is worth a playthrough now that it's pretty cheap but it's a mediocre game.

Enslaved is not a good character action game based on its playability. Ultra rudimentary fight system, bottom tier auto-platforming, and kinda input-laggy (at least on consoles).

That said, the world is gorgeous, the characters are fun and the cutscenes are kinda amusing. If you are looking for a decent romp and are extremely tolerant of bland gameplay, it's not totally terrible.

Yeah, I'm in with this breakdown. I believe that it's not a terrible game, but it does encompass many of the worst recent AAA trends. Platforming and combat are both pretty braindead. The world / art actually was kinda neat, but I can't recommend any of the actual gameplay elements for the few hours that I managed before giving up. Lots of characters walking from area to area talking, while you press a button prompt every so often to move things along.

MTE

So out of my Tuesday morning Bundle Binge, I only have one duplicate game!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-D8D46F68500F027A - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.

t1407202239z1.png

BadRamen

Which of the shreds of story elements from which of the 5 different stories they Frankensteined together into one sort-of-whole did you like?

Admittedly, the story doesn't have enough juice with the content that is in the game (maybe the sidequests actually contribute to the main plot?) to beef out the, as you say, the "shreds" of the five different "Frankensteined" stories. It almost seems as if the game received some cuts in content/story. Wasn't this game delayed from Fall last year? I got the feeling when completing the game that this shouldn't have been the end.

I suppose I also enjoyed the general desolation of The City. Whether that meant I got to
hear about hangings for the umpteenth(using this word in a positive context) time, to see hangings of citizens go to hangings of the Watch, to the fact the place looked like the time in real history where people threw their shit out their windows and into the street and people died of various deadly diseases due to said sanitary conditions. The City felt gross, in a good way.

I don't know, with this Thief game not being the horrible piece of carp that I had heard since earlier this year from many sources and Unearthed being a playable (if not endearing) and okay game from my completion of it (and apparently, although I cannot find it except referenced to, jshack posted something positive about Unearthed), I am starting to believe Bad Rats is a good game now!
;)

EDIT: Also, the DLC in Enslaved, Pigsy's Perfect Ten, is a short but sweet changeup in how the game plays. Totally worth the 3ish hours I spent playing it! Very lighthearted story comparatively to the main story. I got some feels
at the end of the DLC, as I didn't really know Pigsy enough to care he died when I played through the main game, but after his story DLC, I was like... damn

KiDdYoNe

Oh wow, great news about the Iron Brigade.
Loved it, but GFWL.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw yeah!
Next stop - Bulletstorm. Please.

Still have these left over from my giveaway - can't believe nobody wants 100% OJ
on Desura LOL

The Samaritan Paradox (Desura) -- MB-3C8799E20D1AD1DB - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice (Desura) -- MB-49C62F46E007F1A1
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-1453A331DFBD9DF0
Radical Roach Deluxe Edition -- MB-68D85CBC1F4F4EDA
Koala Kids (Desura) -- MB-C79CD74C8BD729A2

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
All of my GOTYs this year are backlog games from 2011. That's what one gets for living on the edge of steam sales.

I've barely played any games originally released this year at all. Most of them have been re-releases with the occasional 2014 game, but I wouldn't consider most of those to be goty worthy :/

hmm

that seems like an awful lot of work tho

thanks

some of these are so fucking awful lol

love it

No pain no gain! Have to work to get those waifu backgrounds :p

I forgot where the backgrounds were posted in the threads, so I didn't look for them :p

State of Decay studio announces creature-collection RPG Moonrise

GODDAMMIT Undead Labs ... you had one job ... ONE JOB!!! now I'm pissed off ....

I was sort of on board with the idea until I read "Free-to-play mobile publisher Kabam" and "It'll be out in early 2015 for iOS and Android." It could have been a potentially competent Poké-clone, but no :/

Lomax

I can't agree with that. Yaiba from the start was advertised as a spin-off, whereas Sacred 3 was being shown as the next big Sacred game (I mean, it's titled Sacred 3 not Boom, Sacred Z or some such.)

It might have gotten a better reception had they titled it something different and not given the expectation it was going to follow the trend that Sacred 1 and 2 set.

Oddly enough, Larian also sort of did this, but without arousing anyone's ire. I mean, Beyond Divinity was pretty much the same thing as Divine Divinity, but every Divinity game since has been something different, genre-wise, and they've all been moderately to very well received.

As much as companies know that brand names have a lot of value, they do seem pretty clueless about it at times as well. Clearly Sacred 3 should have had another name. I think Dragon Age 2 took a big hit from this as well, if it had been Dragon Age: Action Saga or something like that, there wouldn't have been nearly as much backlash. And what made even less since was they had already established a pattern like that with DA: Origins. Just shows how little thought was really put into DA2 on the whole though. When naming Original Sin, Larian could have easily called it Divinity 3 but they were smart to know it was a different enough game.

H1PSTER

SteamGAF I've hit a rut lately... I just feel bored of my video games...

All 669 of them, and my Ps4, what is wrong with me? How can I make this go away?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I was sort of on board with the idea until I read "Free-to-play mobile publisher Kabam" and "It'll be out in early 2015 for iOS and Android." It could have been a potentially competent Poké-clone, but no :/

yeah - that's what I meant ... that's why I'm pissed off .... goddammit

Ozium

SteamGAF I've hit a rut lately... I just feel bored of my video games...

All 669 of them, and my Ps4, what is wrong with me? How can I make this go away?

You have reached the next plateau of Gamer consciousness. Now go grab them +1s!

louiedog

Take a break. What's the obligation to play video games?

Best advice.

I routinely take time off and always come back feeling better about games. The same goes for the Internet in general. Do a bunch of fun stuff for a weekend and take next couple of weekdays off as well. It's a good reminder that very little of it matters so much and you can more easily enjoy it.

H1PSTER

Take a break. What's the obligation to play video games?

Take a break, get a different hobby for a few weeks.

... There are other hobbies? Joking aside I will see what I can muster up; sadly since I graduated a majority of my hobbies revolve around using a computer.

Best advice.

I routinely take time off and always come back feeling better about games. The same goes for the Internet in general. Do a bunch of fun stuff for a weekend and take next couple of weekdays off as well. It's a good reminder that very little of it matters so much and you can more easily enjoy it.

Will do, I think League has burned me out quite frankly, doing something else would be nice.

You have reached the next plateau of Gamer consciousness. Now go grab them +1s!

Now if only I could stop being a junior-member.

Get SpeedRunners.

Bought it four times already, such a fun game.

I'm stuck at the end of Betrayer.
I found Alison's sister burning in the Forbidden Wilds, went back to Fort Hope and talked to the spirit of her father. I can tell Alison her father tried to kill her, but apparently I should apparently also have an option to say he killed her sister, but for some reason it won't appear.

Jawmuncher

how did it work?

also, i'd be down i guess. gotta share gamertags, though

It's just the games third person mechanics on certain maps with the destructibility intact. Depending on the game mode there's a lot of fun stuff you can do especially with the right backpack .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom