• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Enslaved is not a good character action game based on its playability. Ultra rudimentary fight system, bottom tier auto-platforming, and kinda input-laggy (at least on consoles).

That said, the world is gorgeous, the characters are fun and the cutscenes are kinda amusing. If you are looking for a decent romp and are extremely tolerant of bland gameplay, it's not totally terrible.

I believe the higher and more stable framerate helped out the input issues tremendously.

I haven't played it, but I have heard several people on GAF, who initially experienced the game on console, describe the experience as significantly better.

header_292x136.jpg

Just Beat Transistor just a little while ago and thought I'd share my impressions with SteamGAF. First off I want to say that as of right now it's easily my GOTY nominee. Granted I haven't played much that has come out this year, but I really enjoyed my time with the game a lot. The atmosphere of the game has been one of my favorite in recent memory. Thanks a lot to the very impressive artwork and designs throughout. The games entire world is such a spectacle that I stopped more than once just to admire it. My interest in the world was thanks a lot to the phenomenal music. It's just so relaxing and fits any mood the game goes for so elegantly.
Gameplay was a interesting mix of real time and planning your actions. I found all of the battles to be just the right amount of challenge as I played through. Using both the strategic menu and the moves in real time is the true path to success. Though this ends up being Transistor's biggest issue. The game gives you access to the library of moves far too slowly. Thus you end up getting far too comfortable with what you have been using for awhile, that you'll feel better off just enhancing them than truly changing up how you play. Kind of wish the game let you start out with more moves and levels mainly being unlocks for the enhancements.
Lastly the story I thought did the job it needed to. It kept you going forward and wanting to find out just exactly what was going on. Sure all the questions you have might not get answered. But you get enough to know the basics of what is going on. Which I liked since it lets the player imagine more about the world rather than being told directly everything in detail. Which can take away from the wonder.
All in all Transistor is definitely something everyone should play at some point.

Thanks again CorrosiveFrost for gifting me the game.

Glad you enjoyed the game, and found a similar criticism as myself. Now, play through the game on NG+ as a pure ARPG.

Deitus

It's just the games third person mechanics on certain maps with the destructibility intact. Depending on the game mode there's a lot of fun stuff you can do especially with the right backpack .

Yeah, it had the standard shooter multiplayer options (deathmatch, CTF, et. al.), though as you said with the bonus of destructible maps, but there were also modes where one team had to destroy a structure while the other team had to defend it. I believe there was also a mode where players would compete to see who could destroy more things in a certain amount of time.

Unfortunately, I only have it on the Xbox, so I would not be able to join in.

maneil99

Made the Guerilla event in the GAF games night group for this friday, was debating tonight but some people will need to dl it ect.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just logged into Steam to find a Bit.Trip Flux booster pack in my inventory, which I already proceeded to put on the Market for $0.85.

I'll take the chance to recommend that everyone who owns the game and hasn't played it yet give it a try. And those who don't have it should correct that mistake next time it goes on sale. This is an incredible game, and it's over in one hour, so there's no excuse not to play it.

Rudakus

Gamesplanet is doing a best of recap sale:
  • Oblivion GOTY 75% off
  • Skyrim Legendary 67% off
  • Fallout 3 GOTY 66% off
  • Fallout New Vegas Ultimate 66% off
  • Saints Row IV 100% Uncut 75% off
  • Metro Last Light Complete 100% Uncut 75% off
  • Tomb Raider 75% off
  • Wolfenstein 50% off
  • Total War Rome II 67% off
  • Risen 2 Dark Waters 75% off
  • MGR:Revengeance 50% off
  • GRID 2 REloaded 67% off
  • Alan Wake Collector's Edition 85% off

Sorry this may be a stupid question, but have never purchased form a EU site for steam keys. Am I cool to purchase these even though I'm in the states? Just want to make sure I can pick up some games and be able to redeem them on this account

I played through Enslaved two times back to back despite horrible screen tearing, setting, story and characters really felt unique.

Trials Fusion and Child of Light 50% on Steam. Do it, Ubisoft, I know you want to.

And 3,38€ for F:NV is friggin' excellent.

I'd buy both of those Ubi games instantly.

Just logged into Steam to find a Bit.Trip Flux booster pack in my inventory, which I already proceeded to put on the Market for $0.85.

I'll take the chance to recommend that everyone who owns the game and hasn't played it yet give it a try. And those who don't have it should correct that mistake next time it goes on sale. This is an incredible game, and it's over in one hour, so there's no excuse not to play it.

I've noticed and appreciated that this community seems to really value their time when it comes to game length. I am not a fan of reviews praising games for having a long playtime, especially since I rent console games from Gamefly, so the hour-per-dollar is not a concern.

Turfster

Sorry this may be a stupid question, but have never purchased form a EU site for steam keys. Am I cool to purchase these even though I'm in the states? Just want to make sure I can pick up some games and be able to redeem them on this account
Should be fine.
The only Steam key I know is region locked is New Vegas, but only for the former Eastern Block countries.
Edit: And probably Saints Row IV.

Teeth

I believe the higher and more stable framerate helped out the input issues tremendously.

I haven't played it, but I have heard several people on GAF, who initially experienced the game on console, describe the experience as significantly better.

This is likely 100% true.

That said, improved response time doesn't improve the combat mechanics (nor are advanced tactics necessary to excel, likely due to them designing the game around the terrible input response), and the auto-platforming really mars the experience. It's not auto platforming in the nature of Uncharted (where the game assists jumps that might be lacking), Enslaved literally locks you in place and shows a glowing piece of geometry that you hold a direction and then tap a button to automatically move there. You literally can't miss a jump, or jump to a wrong area. It is the nadir of interactivity.

Of course mileage may vary on enjoyability of the experience as a whole. I just think expectations should be set appropriately for the actual mechanics of the game.

Only 47/49? The other two too much work? :p

I'm really not sure how I haven't popped the "kill 5000 zombies" one yet... I've played the game enough that I should think it'd have happened a long time ago.

And arcade mode (Ninja Gaiden Z) is no joke.
But the screen was posted for me to share the glorious accomplishment of having beaten everything on the hardest difficulty. ;)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed and appreciated that this community seems to really value their time when it comes to game length. I am not a fan of reviews praising games for having a long playtime, especially since I rent console games from Gamefly, so the hour-per-dollar is not a concern.
Indeed, it's a matter of how enjoyable is that game. I consider Super Hexagon a masterpiece, and it only lasts 6 minutes (provided you die as soon as you beat each level, and not counting every retry). Besides, I've played Flux so many times and had much more fun that with many longer titles, and to me it's a game I can pick up, finish in an hour and leave completely satisfied.

Vecks

what would be the best games out of the groupees build a be mine bundle? not sure what to get. Can the "community choice" be trusted?

Turfster

Cool thanks

Of course, that being said, there's a big chance there'll be US deals on the same games sometime in the future that'll be cheaper because of the whole bullshit 1$ = 1€ = 1£ thing most publishers love to do, so if you don't really need a game right now you might as well wait a few weeks/months ;)

Ballpoint Universe will be the next Groupees BABM unlock.

Well, something to try and give away, I guess.
Props for style, a big minus for execution. All that art and it's a rather shit horizontal shooter.

First come, first serve, baby!

Gun Monkeys -- 3LYA0-5KPAE-D4G20
Instant Dungeon (Desura) -- 0YFRI-BY6JE-5RCJW-KKMK1-UDOV1
AIM 2 Clan Wars -- JAYEG-ZCE2K-CB9MK
100% Orange Juice (Desura) -- GXH43-CW0IB-UZW7M-CF5OM-YFVAM
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- 7FNQC-HKNWM-HZN68
Radical Roach Deluxe Edition -- 7EWG4-5AGFP-ZQTLL
Koala Kids (Desura) -- HTLU0-PPO6T-HVGGD-VXJDB-4GNZT

First come, first serve, baby!

Gun Monkeys -- 3LYA0-5KPAE-D4G20
Instant Dungeon (Desura) -- 0YFRI-BY6JE-5RCJW-KKMK1-UDOV1
AIM 2 Clan Wars -- JAYEG-ZCE2K-CB9MK
100% Orange Juice (Desura) -- GXH43-CW0IB-UZW7M-CF5OM-YFVAM
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- 7FNQC-HKNWM-HZN68
Radical Roach Deluxe Edition -- 7EWG4-5AGFP-ZQTLL
Koala Kids (Desura) -- HTLU0-PPO6T-HVGGD-VXJDB-4GNZT
I grabbed the bolded ones. Thanks!

Realm Reborn has credits? I didn't know it had an actual "ending".
Yeah, once you do the last main story (pre-endgame stuff, I guess) dungeon and boss you get some cutscene closure and credits just like any other FF, I guess. And yeah the last main story dungeon has the usual Final Fantasy multi-part boss fight with crazy amazing music and shit.

Should be fine.
The only Steam key I know is region locked is New Vegas, but only for the former Eastern Block countries.

Are these region locked?
I've been checking the different websites and each one has different pricing, e.g. Saints Row IV is 50% off on the British website but 75% off on the French and German websites.

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/gamesplanet_ukb0ejm.png[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/gamesplanet_frj2f2u.png[/IMG]

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I applied for a job last week as kind of a "last ditch effort", as I would be entirely overqualified for the position and figured it'd be an easy win for me. The pay was less than my current position, but they have health insurance and they're in an area where housing is more readily available.

After an in-depth review, we find that we have candidates that possess more directly related training and experience for this position.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna be homeless.

So I applied for a job last week as kind of a "last ditch effort", as I would be entirely overqualified for the position and figured it'd be an easy win for me. The pay was less than my current position, but they have health insurance and they're in an area where housing is more readily available.

Sorry to hear that, that is the worst :. I hope you find something good soon

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

ah damn :( so sorry to hear that, man :( that just sucks ... and is completely unfair

Damn. Sorry to hear it, man. I have a hard time believing they'll do a better job, whoever they are :p

Dr Dogg

Right sod it lets confuse the shit out of everyone with an avatar change. You had a good run Houser but even I'm getting tired of your smug stare.

such dead images

*EDIT*

i see

Yeah sorry it's a 6 year old thread so there was going to be some pics that didn't exist, sadly it seems to be most of them and the context is a little lost. So if you haven't pieced things together already here's the skinny; Pictures turn up that are rumoured to be from the next Red Faction game, they get posted on GAF and they ending up looking Wll Guy quality, Photoshop ensue and one of them has the body of an ostrich put underneath the hammer (I can't remember who posted that now). Volition see it, make a dev diary having a laugh and then it turns out it's not just for fun but the ostrich hammer ends up in the game. And a legend is born.

Oh man, that ostrich hammer. Takes me back to my early days of lurking gaf when I couldn't get approved for years.

That and Dyack's 'For or Against' is what brought me here. Thankfully my persistence got me an account eventually.
Who could have forseen the crow that would be eaten in that thread. Great game that, pity the direction they went with Armageddon.

I really liked the destructible environment in RF:G but wasn't too keen on the story. Sure it was a big improvement over 2 but with the amount of goofing off you could do I felt it got kind of lost. Armageddon has some awesome weapons but I stopped playing pretty quick as it was starting to feel repetitive. Funnily the future sections of Saints Row IV felt like more of a Red Faction game to me than Armageddon.

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. It's something I've had myself when applying for positions I had more experience than necessary and when I got the rejection letter upon questioning why I wasn't suitable the HR person I spoke to said they they were concerned I might be seeking it as stop gap employment and look to move on quickly which was completely contradictory to what I stated in my application and subsequent interview. Granted my predicament was far from your own but I can at least empathise a little with the the frustration from such a response. I hope things works out for you and your family and I wish there was more that I could do that wish you luck.

Turfster

Are these region locked?
I've been checking the different websites and each one has different pricing, e.g. Saints Row IV is 50% off on the British website but 75% off on the French and German websites.

Oh, right, Saints Row is Deep Silver.
I'm not entirely sure which version they're selling, but since Deep Silver loves digging deep to get all your silver, let's just consider it region locked too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sorry to hear that, that is the worst :. I hope you find something good soon

ah damn :( so sorry to hear that, man :( that just sucks ... and is completely unfair

Thanks guys. What sucks is it's like... my job (that I've had for almost 5 years) just at a different location. It'd be like if I worked as the manager at Gamestop and I wanted to transfer to another Gamestop, and they told me I wasn't qualified.

Pretty fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom