• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am awash in Eddie's Dad.

4 of 8 of my cards from Brutal Legend, out of a possible 15, have been this sloppy fat fuck.

Fuck you, Eddie's Dad.

Elija2

Goddamnit, I just got a Paypal error saying the transaction couldn't be completed but I got the Groupees e-mail with the games anyway. I hope I'm not fucked.

sprinkles

The geo-lock for Dead Rising 3 will apparently remain. Somebody received an email reply by the costumer """support""" of Capcpom.

Won't translate it completly since it only affects Germany SteamGAF but basically they state that after checking back with their lawyers they HAD to introduce the geolock due to the Xbox One version being indexed lol. I think they should get some new lawyers then. Or probably I will get a Xbox One, import DR3 from Austria and play it on the One in Germany because there is no geolocking for this version. #realthug

Oh yeah, and we should contact Valve support to get a refund. Yes because OBVIOUSLY Valve will refund gifted games. ugh.

Source: see comments http://steamcommunity.com/groups/foruncut#announcements/detail/252518363768404064
Well, that settles it then I guess - I'll use a VPN to download the game I payed for and play it like Wolfenstein with the appid trick. No achievements is a bummer, but I refuse to be treated like a child, especially when you can import and play console versions just fine.

So i just notice this
nPs8oc9.png

BruteUA

what an ahole

An ahole? Really? I apologize. Here, maybe this is better. But I'm still an asshole.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BruteUA, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
99 Spirits (Desura) -- MB-AE357C2FF8C81DB0 - Taken by KenOD
99 Spirits -- MB-0366A5FAF292BCBA - Taken by freshVeggie. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
100% Orange Juice -- MB-527460227901AAC8 - Taken by DarkMehm. 10 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
100% Orange Juice (Desura) -- MB-A7FD5E228D3ABD8A - Taken by Henry Swanson

t1407181479z1.png

Vuze

Well, that settles it then I guess - I'll use a VPN to download the game I payed for and play it like Wolfenstein with the appid trick. No achievements is a bummer, but I refuse to be treated like a child, especially when you can import and play console versions just fine.

Could you elaborate a bit on the appid trick? I think I know where this is going but I would be baffled if it was that easy to circumvent the PRIC IP lock.

Some context: Wesley Snipes and Antonio Banderas IAMA, they were promoting Expendables 3.

I asked: Puss in Boots vs. Blade. Who would win in a battle?

Antonio replied: PUSS IN BOOTS. His eyes are the MOST IMPORTANT WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION in the whole world right now. With his eyes, he can defeat entire action heroes, anything!

That's pretty cool, I'm gonna check out that AMA later.

sprinkles

Could you elaborate a bit on the appid trick? I think I know where this is going but I would be baffled if it was that easy to circumvent the PRIC IP lock.
I could play Wolfenstein just fine after I added the exe-file as a "non-Steam-game" to Steam and created a file named "steam_appid.txt" with the appid of Wolfenstein as the only content.

A counter-argument: I am about to enter the US on a visa which limits me from legally earning self-employment income. It is possible that I could literally be kicked out of the country by selling Steam cards because Valve records the sales for tax purposes. As a result, I will no longer be able to sell cards.
I volunteer as your shadow broker.
Between this and Antonio Banderas answering my question on reddit, I've been having a really good day.
http://i.imgur.com/nPigDjd.png
What, you talked with Banderas? About what, do tell.
Paying it forward.
Does 99 include the DLC, too in your giveaway?

Knurek

That downloaded is still a pain in the ass.

I'm pretty sure Galaxy will be just the downloader with delta patching and achievements for those games whose devs will want to bother with backporting them from Steam ones.
Maybe an additional chat client that will work 10% of time as well.

Oh well, Steam's client was crappy for the few first years, some would argue it's still crappy as hell.

That's not automatic?

When there were all those unclaimed Bioshocks sitting around I was going to put up my spare with a HOT icon just to see if it got claimed quicker, but I fogot to paste it in.

Should have tagged my giveaway of Mount Your Friends as HOT. For obvious reasons.

Vuze

I could play Wolfenstein just fine after I added the exe-file as a "non-Steam-game" to Steam and created a file named "steam_appid.txt" with the appid of Wolfenstein as the only content.

Nice, I will bookmark the post for the worst case scenario (still some hope left lol). I assume this didn't track achievements or playtime?

Elija2

Is there a way to gift Groupees keys to someone's Steam account so it appears as a Steam gift or do I just have to send them the key to redeem for themselves?

StAidan

ModBot 3 said:
Cosmic Schwung claimed your Transistor #2 key. There were 56 entrants.
Vastag claimed your Transistor key. There were 78 entrants.

Congrats, you two. Pretty interesting to see the disparity in entry numbers between the two prizes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice, I will bookmark the post for the worst case scenario (still some hope left lol). I assume this didn't track achievements or playtime?

Correct on both accounts. There are no Steamworks features at all because as far as Steam is concerned you're not in the game you're actually playing -- no achievements, no MP, no anything else, and much like Offline Mode, Steam doesn't track playtime for shortcuts.

JaseC

Is there a way to gift Groupees keys to someone's Steam account so it appears as a Steam gift or do I just have to send them the key to redeem for themselves?

The latter. It's not possible to activate keys as gifts.

Jawmuncher

Correct on both accounts. There are no Steamworks features at all because as far as Steam is concerned you're not in the game you're actually playing -- no achievements, no MP, no anything else, and much like Offline Mode, Steam doesn't track playtime for shortcuts.

A small price to play. The biggest issue would be cards personally. That's money you can't even get.

Copons

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND I'm back!

After 1 full week of NO MOTHERFUCKING INTERNET ACCESS I sort of risked throwing my cat overboard on the ferry back to mainland, but still.

I have only two questions, though.

1) Anything cool happened on GAF? Like, a new mob lynching against a new javadots? A new reviews related thing from fantomena? Shit I just discovered about Idle-Master and I'm already one of the everybodies who love it! Who's winning the giveaway race between Rhak, Sub and Shadow? Did anyone beat Dunder at Speedrunner? Why both my PC and my phone are upgrading whatever? How many veterans left the thread due to off topics?

2) How many waifus were posted in this thread, and were they harmed to appear here or it was their choice?

Also this was the view from my balcony, so I pretty much WIN
even tho I kinda hate the sea, fuck it, winter rules

Dr Dogg

Hahaha just checked my email account which is tied to GMG/Playfire. Well since Idle Master is going through a load of game I've not played I've got an awful lots of "hey you're tracking a new game" emails. Then it's just dawned on me, there go a lot of 'Play <Game Name Here> for the first time' rewards. Oh well you win some and you lose some. And my Steam Market filter section has got a shed load of 'You have sold an item' emails so I hate to think what other peoples are like who haven't tried to organise their inboxes.

After 1 full week of NO MOTHERFUCKING INTERNET ACCESS I sort of risked throwing my cat overboard on the ferry back to mainland, but still.

Welcome back old bean. This little beauty is worth checking out. You'll be rich in no time.

r3n4ud

1) Anything cool happened on GAF? Like, a new mob lynching against a new javadots? A new reviews related thing from fantomena? Shit I just discovered about Idle-Master and I'm already one of the everybodies who love it! Who's winning the giveaway race between Rhak, Sub and Shadow? Did anyone beat Dunder at Speedrunner? Why both my PC and my phone are upgrading whatever? How many veterans left the thread due to off topics?

2) How many waifus were posted in this thread, and were they harmed to appear here or it was their choice?

Also this was the view from my balcony, so I pretty much WIN
even tho I kinda hate the sea, fuck it, winter rules

Great to see you back!

You might want to check this out for idling cards.

JaseC

Ah, oh well.

Also I just noticed that Groupees also gives you Desura keys. Are those keys valid even if I use the Steam keys? So I guess I can give them out?

Of course. Desura keys aren't exactly popular, though, unless they're required to retrieve Steam keys from one's Desura collection page.

So has anyone played any Hand of Fate? It looks super super interesting (great visual style, interesting mechanics, etc) but it's hard to pull the trigger at $25.

Tizoc

Hahaha just checked my email account which is tied to GMG/Playfire. Well since Idle Master is going through a load of game I've not played I've got an awful lots of "hey you're tracking a new game" emails. Then it's just dawned on me, there go a lot of 'Play <Game Name Here> for the first time' rewards. Oh well you win some and you lose some. And my Steam Market filter section has got a shed load of 'You have sold an item' emails so I hate to think what other peoples are like who haven't tried to organise their inboxes.

Considering I have 100 games left to idle, there go at least $10 worth of GMG credit XD.
Not a major loss since I can make it up with the release of newer games and their cheevo rewards ;)

Vuze

Welcome back glad you enjoyed your stay :p
I guess you missed out on the gorgeous Mind: Path to Thalamus then.

Repost:
My bad yesterday, the embargo for Mind: Path to Thalamus footage was actually 4th August not 5th. So enjoy some screenshots I took ("spoilers" obviously) and bookmark the store page to buy it tomorrow ;)

I finished it yesterday and while it was rather short with about 5h of gametime it was an incredible and tense experience. Furthermore I'm sure you can spend much more time with it if you explore every corner. I just kinda pushed through it to finish it before release.

Album: http://minus.com/mBjRxylC5BoEo

Hahaha just checked my email account which is tied to GMG/Playfire. Well since Idle Master is going through a load of game I've not played I've got an awful lots of "hey you're tracking a new game" emails. Then it's just dawned on me, there go a lot of 'Play <Game Name Here> for the first time' rewards..

They recently stopped giving out "first time" rewards for older games, adding another cheevo at 0.10 instead. First time rewards only happen for newly released games now I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom