• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

I just spun the Steam Roulette wheel for funsies and to test out my new Steam ID and this just happened:

aqbOfYp.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It really would! The game is so old that the PC controls are a bit of a nightmare, so I don't blame you! It's a fun series, though -- just a bit dated. The soundtrack is awesome!
I hope the Steam version is a remake or a port of the PS1 version, as the DOS one wasn't too enjoyable in my opinion. No manual saves, getting hurt whenever you ran into a wall, stuff like that. All of those annoying things were fixed on PS1, and I really enjoyed that one (even though I played it with a printed walkthrough beside me all the time).

The sequel is incredible, and one of the games I love the most. It's so charming, and the beginning with the storm is awesome (I spent a lot of time going through the town in the demo, which didn't let you enter any house, until my cousin lent me his disc of the full game). Oh, the memories!

BHK3

Banned
Random question:

How many people in here own SSF4AE?
How many people don't and are interested in USF4?

I own SSF4AE for PS3
I dont own USF4 and wish to own it. BUT I'm scared because since the move to steamworks people have said the netcode has been godawful :(

For figthan gaems I've been playing KoF XIII on and off for like 2 years since I started on PS3. Got it during the holidays and pc and started it up again whooping
AI left and right cause no one plays it and bad online
and having loads of fun. Terry is too cool for school.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Edit: New page, so new suggestion. This time from Greenlight.

Engauge

A 2D action platformer somewhere between Mega Man and Rayman Origins/Legends/Jungle Run. Even a bit of Uniracers in it at certain points from what I played of it on a certain stage.

Run, jump, punch, and amazingly rare in these action platformers, you can block through levels that may not be the most complex in construction, are full of jumps, enemies, and obstacles to get through in a surprisingly satisfying "get a good run" type of way for the majority of it.
Not every stage or section is all about running forward of course, fair amount of solving puzzles or finding hidden items so some slight exploration can add some time to it.

You can also back it in Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/431842510/engauge

Quick question about Modbot ethic: I have a bunch of keys from Amazon that i completely forgot whether they were used or not. Would offering them for a raffle be somehow acceptable, knowing there's maybe 25% change they're valid?

As long as you give clear warning that they might not be valid, it's okay.

I personally suggest that if there is an extremely likely chance several or more games aren't valid and you just don't know, then you could also make use of the GARBAGEDUMP rule. Thus if someone wins it and they don't get anything, nothing has been lost and they aren't prevented from winning another giveaway.

Dingotech

This is why you don't gamble. You played Steam Russian Roulette and lost.

Every time I think I should test out that Roulette site I returns some game I have zero interest in playing.

I swear I could spin it 5 times and still not want to play the game. Maybe my library just sucks lol

StAidan

Random question:

How many people in here own SSF4AE?
How many people don't and are interested in USF4?

I don't own either one, I've had my eye on the USF4 release though. I haven't played Street Fighter since Super Street Fighter II on the SNES.

So I applied for a job last week as kind of a "last ditch effort", as I would be entirely overqualified for the position and figured it'd be an easy win for me. The pay was less than my current position, but they have health insurance and they're in an area where housing is more readily available.

Fuck it, I'm just gonna be homeless.

Bummer, man. I was cross-examined pretty good during an interview once about being overqualified for a certain job. Employers are real sticklers about that stuff these days, all this risk-managing that goes into every business decision.

I own SSF4AE for PS3
I dont own USF4 and wish to own it. BUT I'm scared because since the move to steamworks people have said the netcode has been godawful :(

For figthan gaems I've been playing KoF XIII on and off for like 2 years since I started on PS3. Got it during the holidays and pc and started it up again whooping
AI left and right cause no one plays it and bad online
and having loads of fun. Terry is too cool for school.

The netcode has gotten much better since then. Still not as good as GFWL version, but definitely still great.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Depending on where he lives the demand may be extremely high for rent.

The real estate market is on a massive upswing and landlords who picked up cheap property during the downturn are now unloading their properties.

Pretty much this. I live in a very "tourist-y" area, so finding a place to live when the weather is nice is basically an exercise in frustration. Once the fall/winter hits, prices will go way way down. Unfortunately, I don't have that long to wait.

Mono

I am so close to breaking down and buying Banner Saga at full price because I am 95% sure that I'm going to love it! Everything about that game is almost too good to be true for me.

If I buy it now, it'll probably go on sale tomorrow though. Gotta keep waiting!

Sajjaja

I am so close to breaking down and buying Banner Saga at full price because I am 95% sure that I'm going to love it! Everything about that game is almost too good to be true for me.

Why probably?

Yeah it's surprisingly wound up in a few bundles (maybe 1 and I'm just exaggerating) so you could definitely pick it up for cheap.. eventually.

If you really want to scratch an itch though you could grab the free to play version which just involves the fighting aspect.

Edit: you could also pick it up for 4 keys on dispenser.tf

It was on sale a few times a month ago, I'd wait.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

QuestRun -- MB-27A81EF832ABEC7C - Taken by Gunstarheroes

I finally take a key after having no luck for a week, and its already redeemed. My luck is awful with Modbot. I think him and RGNuns are in cahoots against me.

DontBlink

As long as you give clear warning that they might not be valid, it's okay.

I personally suggest that if there is an extremely likely chance several or more games aren't valid and you just don't know, then you could also make use of the GARBAGEDUMP rule. Thus if someone wins it and they don't get anything, nothing has been lost and they aren't prevented from winning another giveaway.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will go with that after going my key list again.

Some impressions for Detective Case and Clown Bot in Murder in the Hotel Lisbon:

The music: Is great. It's got some cool tunes, some dramatic, but most whimsical to indicate comedy relief. And you know what kind of impressions you're in for when I start by telling you how good the music is. But I wanted to start on a positive note. :(

The graphics: Loads of style. Characters range from short and dumpy to a tall-and-thin reminiscent of an exaggerated Jessica Rabbit. If any game is going to exaggerate facial and bodily features, it should be a point-and-click, but part of me says it went a bit too far. Objects of note are very easy to spot, as they get illuminated by a thick white border when you mouseover them.

The dialogue: I give the dialogue three "ugh"s. I seriously can't tell whether the jokes were intended to be funny, or intended to be unfunny. A lot of Clown Bot's jokes are the kind you heard in junior high or earlier, and some seem out of place in 2014. Yes, I was probably in grade 6 or 7 when I heard "What do you call a gay guy on a plane? A fruit fly!" But again, is this appropriate? Furthermore, was this supposed to be funny, or was it supposed to be terrible? My opinion is that they tried to sit on the fence. Found it funny? Great, it was supposed to be! Found it unfunny? Great, it was supposed to be!
Oh, and don't forget the spelling errors. "Why was six afrain of seven?" I get that the developers didn't have English as their first language, but that means it's extra important to make sure you're doing it right, gentlemen.

The gameplay: Don't expect to use objects in the conventional way. Items aren't used: they're collected for evidence. When you have the right objects, you can enter an interview minigame with a character. It was an interesting concept. It could have been executed better with choices that don't make it obvious which one is correct. But points for trying something new.

Walking is quite slow indeed. But wait! There are taxis that allow you instant transportation, so it's not so bad! But wait again! If you never use that convenient item, you get an achievement! Developers, why do you do this? If you don't want us to use it, don't put it in. There's also an achievement for fucking up every interview minigame. Why are you rewarding failure?

Edit: Forgot to mention there are a few sidequests. I tried to finish one halfway through the game but they railroaded me into finishing the main quest and forbade me from finishing the sidequest. I hate that! However, they do allow you to finish sidequests after the main quest is done for some post-game content. So that was good.

Finally, there's a separate minigame where you choose the correct punchlines to jokes within a time limit, and collect roses for correct punchlines or dodge tomatoes for incorrect ones. For more achievments you can get a high score (not too tough to achieve) or get 32 correct punchlines in a row (pretty bad.) It gets pretty tedious, but thankfully it's not required at any point during the game.

The verdict: I really wanted to like this game. It does a few things right, and of course there's a shoutout to GAF in it. But when it comes to the so-called "humour" and the general gameplay, it gets so many things wrong. If you're not a fan of point-and-clicks, don't get it. If you're a fan of point-and-clicks, consider carefully whether you really want to try this one...but I still wouldn't recommend it. I'm sorry.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Guise Of The Wolf -- MB-F96A5FE96F0320A5 - Taken by bronson

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Guise Of The Wolf was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

I finally take a key after having no luck for a week, and its already redeemed. My luck is awful with Modbot. I think him and RGNuns are in cahoots against me.

You will win the next giveaway you enter~ ( ~'o')~ Woooo~ooo

Finally got in some multiplayer Mount Your Friends in. Singleplayer is OK, multiplayer is transcendent.

It definitely is more fun in multiplayer from what I've seen.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

100% Orange Juice -- MB-397016CBED92D98E - Taken by KevMan1815

Guys, I made a 'game' with Game Maker Studio, it's based on the tutorial. Nothing amazing.

EDIT:

Removed link as chrome was blocking it for some reason, it was compiled with the GameMaker Studio compiler, so I'm not sure why that's happening.

Ventara

Hey guys, before I buy the Groupees BaB, isn't it better to separate your games into multiple buy (like buy 2 bundles with 2 games each instead of 1 bundle with 4 games)? Since this way, I get multiple copies of the bonuses, and there's no benefit to buying more, since the price is set for each game.

Guys, I made a 'game' with Game Maker Studio, it's based on the tutorial. Nothing amazing.

EDIT:

Removed link as chrome was blocking it for some reason, it was compiled with the GameMaker Studio compiler, so I'm not sure why that's happening.

Post the new link when you get it working. I'd like to see what you came up with. I was planning to make a game for the RPG Maker competition, but I underestimated my laziness and am nowhere near finished.

So, now that Red Faction Guerrilla was a bit hyped due to the recent 90% off sale...

Am I the only lonely soul with severe performance issues with the game?

My laptop should have run it like a charm.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
God dammit I hate groupees.

I got a friend to buy me two of the games and I bought the remaining games. I obviously got the keys of the games I bought (because they were added to my profile), but I didn't get any email (neither from my friend's purchase or from mine).

How long do they take to send the email? this was like 6 hours ago by now.

Post the new link when you get it working. I'd like to see what you came up with. I was planning to make a game for the RPG Maker competition, but I underestimated my laziness and am nowhere near finished.

Took about 2 hours from learning the program and following the tutorial to make 'this'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy8dq4tmhj0lu7x/wackakappa.zip

I think Chrome was blocking it as it was a .exe file and it was just being super safe.

Turfster

So, now that Red Faction Guerrilla was a bit hyped due to the recent 90% off sale...

Nope.
It's a problematic game that doesn't really work on quite a few systems, GFWL shitfuckery aside.

DontBlink

Turns out I was able to cut my garbage list to just one key that I'm still unsure of so to make up for it I added a couple of games that should work with no problems

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-AE9F521A819C440D - Taken by MTE. 2 entrants total.
Quantum Conundrum -- MB-1DD5A7CCA4E4FD87 - Taken by dave is ok. 5 entrants total.
This key might be invalid
Darksiders -- MB-AB477261FC35D0D4 - Taken by abracadaver. 10 entrants total.
Toy Soldiers -- MB-F4BB11385A8A9FA2 - Taken by topyy. 13 entrants total.

t1407214300z1.png

Jawmuncher

Just beat brothers.
Not going to bother with a lengthy impression. But I definitely enjoyed it. Especially since I had bought it on sale for 2.50 which was more than worth the content it provided. Really liked the turn the game had.

Don't want to spoil anything though for those who haven't played it. Will say its about the length of a movie 2.5-3 hours, and that its a pretty good game if you have family or a Significant other. Since it lends itself very well to being watched.

God dammit I hate groupees.

I got a friend to buy me two of the games and I bought the remaining games. I obviously got the keys of the games I bought (because they were added to my profile), but I didn't get any email (neither from my friend's purchase or from mine).

How long do they take to send the email? this was like 6 hours ago by now.

I never get a single email from Groupees. Couldn't figure out why for the longest time until it finally dawned on me that I used Twitter oauth for my account and they don't have access to my email address. Is that the case for you?

Ventara

What GPU are you using? I know AMD cards have trouble with this game.

Took about 2 hours from learning the program and following the tutorial to make 'this'.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jy8dq4tmhj0lu7x/wackakappa.zip

I think Chrome was blocking it as it was a .exe file and it was just being super safe.

Just played it. Not bad for 2 hours, and certainly not something I would have expected with RPG Maker.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Go into options and turn off ambient occlusion and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom