• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

I'm down with that WC game, is it one of the better ones?

All Wing Commander games before Prophecy (stupid space squids) are pretty great.
3 was a pioneer in many ways.
First one in 3D instead of using sprites!
First one with FMV with real actors!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's a shame there isn't a good way for you to monetize it. It really is a phenomenal piece of work and you deserve to be making a living from it. Have you considered Kickstarter? Maybe some opt-in advertising or referral links? Perhaps some sort of sponsorship deal?

Well, Enhanced Steam currently has an ongoing campaign with Patreon that helps cover the cost of servers.

All told, I am making a little bit of money from it after all the expenses are paid, but not nearly enough to live on.

I've kicked around the idea of opt-in advertising, as well as making a "premium" edition (which would cost money on the Chrome store) but in the end I decided that it's more important that everyone have access to all of the features I can conceive of rather than fracturing the user base like that.

I've also thought of charging people for one-on-one support (since I get a lot of requests for this) but I don't think I'd have the time to devote to it right now, and I don't think I would make enough money doing that to live on either. There is also a certain expectation that people have when they've "paid" for something that they don't have when they've gotten it for free, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to shine in the "customer service" business just yet.

I just don't want anyone to worry about using Enhanced Steam - it's my intention that it will stay well and truly free.

I was thinking about this the other day, as I have a programmer friend who works at Valve.

Have you ever contacted Valve about a job, or at least some sort of official Valve endorsement?

I've applied several times, and even have some friends who work there (not as programmers) who use Enhanced Steam, love it, and have put in good words for me with the engineering team. But I never hear back from them at all. No interview, no rejection letter, just silence.

If you like my work and have a programmer friend at Valve, please put in a good word for me. I imagine I come across to them as a bit of a dick (since, afterall, I'm kinda fixing their bugs and amending their own work) but in reality I just want to help people get the most out of Steam.

Beelzebubs

FREE FOR 24 HOURS! In celebration of the Merdian4 10-Year Anniversary, Space Hack is free to all customers for 24 hours. Offer ends August 6th at 10AM Pacific.

I can't install it though.

Every time I try the "play game" button it keeps telling me it's updating Sniper Elite v2.

FREE FOR 24 HOURS! In celebration of the Merdian4 10-Year Anniversary, Space Hack is free to all customers for 24 hours. Offer ends August 6th at 10AM Pacific.

I can't install it though.

UTL4scsu4SuD.png

Nice pricing.

jblank83

If you like my work and have a programmer friend at Valve, please put in a good word for me. I imagine I come across to them as a bit of a dick (since, afterall, I'm kinda fixing their bugs and amending their own work) but in reality I just want to help people get the most out of Steam.

Not that I know anything of your resume or linkedin or all, but the more professional the better. Though at Valve it's a bit different for the hiring processes. Anyway, I'll mention it. Good luck.

Tizoc

Looks like HumbleBundle has some new edutainment games that are Steam redeemable
Letter Quest
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/letterquest_storefront

Counting Kingdom
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/thecountingkingdom_storefront

Anyone care to offer impressions for them? Anyone know if Letter Quest is on sale elsewhere? I won't be able to pick it up for that price until after it ends on HB =/

All Wing Commander games before Prophecy (stupid space squids) are pretty great.
3 was a pioneer in many ways.
First one in 3D instead of using sprites!
First one with FMV with real actors!

Nice thanks for the impressions =)

aku:jiki

I've told you before but I really think the problem isn't that they hate you for fixing things, I think they think you might not "get it". That you're too much of a code hippie who thinks information wants to be free, etc. I think it would do you good to show them that you understand that they want to make money. Sadly, this means removing some beloved features like custom backgrounds and the popup that shows regional pricing. I mean, they understand that the latter feature is for russian key shenanigans and it results in a lower overall cut for them so they don't love that feature for sure.

Basically, I think you're at a crossroads where you have to decide if your goal is working at Valve or providing software that does everything you want it to and that you can be proud of. It's one of those shitty things in life... Honestly, no one you care about is going to blame you if you make some sacrifices and try for the Valve thing.

Dr Dogg

Yup that's what triggered my post.

Just boggles my mind. It's so easy to correct.

I have no idea what GeDoSaTo is. I've seen the thread and I'm not sure if it's just a DS2 thing.

Yes and a lot more it's Durante's latest...

Just looked up GeDoSaTo.

Is this better than the Nvidia downsample method?

Ohh I see you've found it already. Basically GeDoSaTo will allow you to downsample to the limits of what your GPU can take and not what your monitor (on in the case of AMD drivers). So providing you have enough VRAM and enough GPU power you can get some impressive results on supported titles. At the moment it's DX9 only and there are a few exceptions where even DX9 games will have issues, fail to render the game or outright crash but support for the most part is very good and Durante is constantly updating it.

For OGL, DX10, DX11 games and the such like driver based downsampling is really the only way, for now but the end game is to be compatible with everything. The thread here will have waaaaaay more info than I could ever post but when Durante released it I when back through my library all over again to see the results and was very impressed.

Lol at those games getting 10 and 50 cents discounts at humblestore. What's the point? I don't think anybody was like: I wish I had 50 cents more so I could buy the game.

Welcome shadownet, glad to see you are back. Also my scars are bigger.

Enco

I've told you before but I really think the problem isn't that they hate you for fixing things, I think they think you might not "get it". That you're too much of a code hippie who thinks information wants to be free, etc. I think it would do you good to show them that you understand that they want to make money. Sadly, this means removing some beloved features like custom backgrounds and the popup that shows regional pricing. I mean, they understand that the latter feature is for russian key shenanigans and it results in a lower overall cut for them so they don't love that feature for sure.

Basically, I think you're at a crossroads where you have to decide if your goal is working at Valve or providing software that does everything you want it to and that you can be proud of. It's one of those shitty things in life... Honestly, no one you care about is going to blame you if you make some sacrifices and try for the Valve thing.
Good points. Never really thought about that.

Removing features is not at all a guarantee of getting a job but it's a guarantee that there will be plenty of hate from users.

Crappy situation but if Valve are interested I don't think that those features would stop jshackles from getting a job.

Good luck though j!

Yes and a lot more it's Durante's latest...
Thanks. I read some posts about being VAC banned in multiplayer games. Any evidence for that?

I'll give it a shot. Right now I'm at 2560x1600 (it resets regularly and sometimes I don't bother adding it back).

Ventara

Got some scars, but I'm back. :)

Hurray!!!! Welcome back, Shadownet! I knew you'd come out of this like a champ. And scars make you look cool, so your sexiness probably just shot through the roof.

And Sub-Zero is back, too, in case you missed it. So all is well with SteamGaf for now.

Dr Dogg

Seeing those bullshot images of Assassin's Creed Rogue knowing that it's not going to look anything like that on PS360 is a real kick in the teeth waiting for a possible/inevitable PC release.

Thanks. I read some posts about being VAC banned in multiplayer games. Any evidence for that?

I'll give it a shot. Right now I'm at 2560x1600 (it resets regularly and sometimes I don't bother adding it back).

I don't know as I've not tried in any VAC based games or really heard anyone say they outright have been VAC Banned for it. I have used Widescreen Fixer for a number of years and in VAC Enabled games and that essentially is doing the same process and my account is in good standing but it'sa prcaustionary messure.

Generally Valve don't talk about VAC but Gabe did post something over on Reddit a while back. From what I understand although the system is automated it's smart enough to know what a cheat is and isn't and unless devs/pubs are being dicks I can't see programs like GeDoSaTo being a problem. Although there are reports of ENB getting people VAC banned so who knows! Jase will know as always ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom