• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Aw yay! Sub-Zero is back :D I missed him!

For those of you who want to know about what happened.
so they managed to reduced a lot of the bruising and blood from my brain, the rest will go away in time. They also took out the piece of rib and put in some sort of filling for where the missing piece is, and put a reinforced plate around it. They fixed my knee, I'll be on crutches for a while then I should be fine after that, just gotta gibe it time to heal.

They want to put me on some drug for the cancer after I finish healing in a month or two. I should be going in and out of the hospital for regular check-ups.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Got some scars, but I'm back. :)

Bro, I read about your health issue this morning when I scrolling through the previous pages of the thread. I really wish you get through this terrible disease and be healthy again in no time. I will be praying for you. I lost a friend to cancer a few weeks ago and my mother has been sick with it since I was 14, so I know how hard it will be for you and your family to deal with it. I may be just an internet stranger, but if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll be there for you

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've told you before but I really think the problem isn't that they hate you for fixing things, I think they think you might not "get it". That you're too much of a code hippie who thinks information wants to be free, etc. I think it would do you good to show them that you understand that they want to make money. Sadly, this means removing some beloved features like custom backgrounds and the popup that shows regional pricing. I mean, they understand that the latter feature is for russian key shenanigans and it results in a lower overall cut for them so they don't love that feature for sure.

Basically, I think you're at a crossroads where you have to decide if your goal is working at Valve or providing software that does everything you want it to and that you can be proud of. It's one of those shitty things in life... Honestly, no one you care about is going to blame you if you make some sacrifices and try for the Valve thing.

While I wholeheartedly understand that this could be an issue - I've informed Valve on several occasions that if they would like any feature of Enhanced Steam removed, all they need to do is ask. I've also let them know numerous times that I'm not looking for a job there simply so that I can implement Enhanced Steam's featureset directly into Steam. I know how businesses work, but I also know that Valve has traditionally been a company that's focused on and embraced the rights of their customers, and Enhanced Steam is simply following that same guideline.

But just like the conversation before this one, I feel that my obligation is to Steam users everywhere rather than my own personal gain or benefit. Maybe that really does make me a "code hippie".

Good points. Never really thought about that.

Removing features is not at all a guarantee of getting a job but it's a guarantee that there will be plenty of hate from users.

Crappy situation but if Valve are interested I don't think that those features would stop jshackles from getting a job.

Good luck though j!

Thanks. That's a good perspective and it's one I share. Hopefully some day Valve can say "You know what, this guy delivered these features to millions of users." rather than seeing it as "Oh my god, we lost so much money because he let everyone see the price of the game in Russia."

EDIT: Also - welcome back Shadownet! Glad everything is heading in the right direction for you.

Dr Dogg

Thanks. That's a good perspective and it's one I share. Hopefully some day Valve can say "You know what, this guy delivered these features to millions of users." rather than seeing it as "Oh my god, we lost so much money because he let everyone see the price of the game in Russia."

Hey lets hope Valve when they (if they haven't already) find out about Idle Master aren't thinking "He's helping these pests flood the market with cards" and more "Well we are getting 5% off every transaction, so kerching!"

Ventara

so they managed to reduced a lot of the bruising and blood from my brain, the rest will go away in time. They also took out the piece of rib and put in some sort of filling for where the missing piece is, and put a reinforced plate around it. They fixed my knee, I'll be on crutches for a while then I should be fine after that, just gotta gibe it time to heal.

They want to put me on some drug for the cancer after I finish healing in a month or two. I should be going in and out of the hospital for regular check-ups.

We're all rooting for you to make a full recovery. Just take it one step at a time. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but don't do anything that may strain your injuries or prolong their recovery. Just rest up and focus on what's best for you.

Enco

I don't know as I've not tried in any VAC based games or really heard anyone say they outright have been VAC Banned for it. I have used Widescreen Fixer for a number of years and in VAC Enabled games and that essentially is doing the same process and my account is in good standing but it'sa prcaustionary messure.
Thanks!

For games it works with, absolutely. GUI doesn't mess up with higher resolutions and it looks nice.

Dark Souls II at 4K and some GeDoSaTo settings enabled.
Will it stop the steam overlay from messing up? If so, that'll be amazing.

To be honest I'm surprised that they haven't done anything.

They haven't even bothered to adopt (aka steal) features that you've incorporated. I doubt they would include many of them but some seem like common sense.

That's Valve for you though. Shrouded in mystery.

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Ballpoint Universe -- MB-F7028EDC93FD9DEC - Taken by ModBot - Taken by MMBosstones86

hi

So since I made this comment on Reddit, I've been getting about 2-3 offers per hour from people / companies that want to "buy the rights" to Enhanced Steam.

I know that most (if not all) of these offers are just from people who want to toss some sort of adware into the program before it gets distributed, and don't really give a shit about the users or improving the program in any way. The ones who specifically say stuff like "I have some ideas on improving Enhanced Steam" I reply with "As long as you're not trying to do something shady, you can submit your own pull requests to our open source repository on Github."

I just wanted to let you guys know that even with my recent financial difficulties, I don't plan on entertaining any of these scumbag offers, regardless of how much money they're offering. Most aren't offering much, though some are offering quite a bit. Even if they were offering a significant amount of money though, I'm simply not interested in screwing over the million+ users that have put their trust in Enhanced Steam.

I just wish Gmail had a "scumbag" filter ;)
Wow, jman. Even amidst your personal trouble you refuse easy money. Appreciate your work and attitude.
Thanks to idlemaster and you, I even made some money. You made this fellow happy, may you find happiness.

Oh Shadow!!! Glad you're back. Where are my ass pics? Welcome and have a speedy recovery.

While I wholeheartedly understand that this could be an issue - I've informed Valve on several occasions that if they would like any feature of Enhanced Steam removed, all they need to do is ask. I've also let them know numerous times that I'm not looking for a job there simply so that I can implement Enhanced Steam's featureset directly into Steam. I know how businesses work, but I also know that Valve has traditionally been a company that's focused on and embraced the rights of their customers, and Enhanced Steam is simply following that same guideline.

But just like the conversation before this one, I feel that my obligation is to Steam users everywhere rather than my own personal gain or benefit. Maybe that really does make me a "code hippie".

I swear you must have kicked Gaben's dog or something. I'm still baffled they haven't given you a chance.

eh, the way I look at it with the Russian thing is....most of us don't buy until X price. Putin-land just helps us get there quicker. They got me to pick up Witcher 3 at launch for $30 instead of waiting a few years and pay $5.

They haven't even bothered to adopt (aka steal) features that you've incorporated. I doubt they would include many of them but some seem like common sense.

I don't believe that is correct. I believe Steam now shows lowest market price for items which was an ES feature. I'm sure there are other subtle things as well.

Shadownet

Banned
Weren't you supposed to be back after two years, and much stronger?
Any way, glad that you are back and healthy

I only needed a couple of days :p and look I can stretch now!

Bro, I read about your health issue this morning when I scrolling through the previous pages of the thread. I really wish you get through this terrible disease and be healthy again in no time. I will be praying for you. I lost a friend to cancer a few weeks ago and my mother has been sick with it since I was 14, so I know how hard it will be for you and your family to deal with it. I may be just an internet stranger, but if you ever need someone to talk to, I'll be there for you

You're not van stranger :) you're one of my closest friends on GAF
-------------

Oh I almost forgot, I would have come let you guys know earlier but
the anesthesia had a really strong effect on me, I was knocked out for much longer than they thought, I didn't woke up till 3am this morning.I'm home now, I shouldn't even be walking much cause I don't wanna pull out my stitches but the doctors I can be on the computer, and I should be fine.
--------------
And jshackles, you know I think about you a lot and I hope you will find better work soon, you're a great man and you contributed so much to SteamGAF and Steam in general. You deserve to have a much better pray. I'm glad to see that you have such a strong integrity during a time like this. <3 you're always in my prayers.

Funny thing that the moment I logged back on into GAF I see that Robin Hood game on here. It was the first game I ever played on PC back when I was 12. I loved that game, now I gotta go buy it :D

Vuze

Eventually late to the party but Capcom just removed the PRIC-Tag from Dead Rising 3 lol.
http://steamdb.info/sub/34736/history/

Just this morning they stated that the lock was the "only possible solution" for Germany according to German penal code (which is just outright wrong).

Oh Shadownet! Great to see you back :)

Ban Puncher

Got some scars, but I'm back. :)

yUzlVaq.gif

Welcome back, son.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Actually, they've taken (stolen, etc) quite a few of Enhanced Steam's features - the most prominent one being that viewing a marketable item in your Steam inventory now shows the lowest market price of said item. This is something Enhanced Steam did for over a year before Valve implemented it themselves.

There are about 4-5 other, smaller features I've removed from Enhanced Steam after Valve did it themselves. They're certainly paying attention.

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks!

Will it stop the steam overlay from messing up? If so, that'll be amazing.

Valve has adopted a couple of Enhanced Steam features. Small ones, but they did.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
YES! finally the DCUniverse DLCs are all 75%

Deitus

Nice to see you back in one piece :) (no pun intended)

Admit it, that pun was totally intended. :p

It sucks you have to go into cancer treatment right after recovering from your current injuries/surgeries. Still, it's not something you want to delay, so as unfortunate as it is, it's surely the best plan.

Did the doctors at least say if they caught the cancer early? If it's still at an early stage, hopefully that means it's totally treatable. In which case, getting a concussion might actually be a blessing in disguise if it led to an early diagnosis (at least in the long run, as it's obviously not pleasant right now).

Hey lets hope Valve when they (if they haven't already) find out about Idle Master aren't thinking "He's helping these pests flood the market with cards" and more "Well we are getting 5% off every transaction, so kerching!"

It's gotta be the latter. If they really wanted to keep cards rare to keep the market from flooding they could have reduced the drop rate. While they want to maintain a healthy market I'm sure, it's always in their best interest that people continue to sell cards on the market.

Enco

Actually, they've taken (stolen, etc) quite a few of Enhanced Steam's features - the most prominent one being that viewing a marketable item in your Steam inventory now shows the lowest market price of said item. This is something Enhanced Steam did for over a year before Valve implemented it themselves.

There are about 4-5 other, smaller features I've removed from Enhanced Steam after Valve did it themselves. They're certainly paying attention.
Ahhh ok.

You gotta do something even bigger :p Something that'll make them drop their jaws and hire you straight away!

Although ES is already pretty damn impressive.

Mono

I just found some burger flavored crisps; god bless America.

Also, The Banner Saga is AMAZING! I love it a lot! I keep making terrible story decisions and getting people killed, though. :X

Shadownet

Banned
Here's some games :) It's still in beta but I'm enjoying it a lot. As far as I can tell, you only build stuff, no killing monsters or anything like that. This is the base game. (message me if you win, I'll gift you the game personally on Steam. Doing it the easy way) BTW This is Landmark Trailblazer Pack. So you'll get some nifty stuff with it too I think!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shadownet, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

capsule_lg.jpg

Landmark #1 -- MB-092E010772ED708D - Taken by Tizoc. 13 entrants total.
Landmark #2 -- MB-145D2CE00E61D335 - Taken by InvisibleStride. 16 entrants total.
Landmark #3 -- MB-5ED4035004431A5E - Taken by Shalashaska. 12 entrants total.
Landmark #4 -- MB-5E9C194CB32930EC - Taken by Ruruja. 13 entrants total.

t1407272022z1.png

Interesting points.
It's worth noting that opinions on our game are either "love it" or "hate it". I had people hating the music and loving the jokes, the opposite of what you felt. Some people felt we should punish more on the interviews, others loved the easy going nature of them. It was hard to fine tune when testing the interview system. Almost all reviews on Steam are positive.

Always good to see the developer chime in. I make no bones about the fact that my impressions are simply those, mine. And yes, you should have punished more. It would have been nice to see a game over screen if both Case and Clown Bot failed. But as you pointed out, you wanted people to "achieve" failing all the interviews so I suppose that wouldn't fly.

Some answers:
- This is a satire of my country in the 80's (Portugal). Some things are lost in translation.

A lot was, I guess. The only references to the 80s that I could see was the arcade and the VHS tapes. There were slightly more references to Portugal, such as the fado music and the name of the hotel. But I had no idea that Portugal used the British pound. I thought they used the escudo in the 80s. It sure wasn't mentioned on either the wikipedia pages for the escudo or the pound (yes, I checked.) If the pound really was the prevailing currency, maybe you should add it in to the pages!

I failed to see what was satirical about anything. The fact that the chief of police solicited a hooker? Was that a political statement that I missed?

- The robot is incapable of understanding if a joke is good or bad, he just tells them.

The studio audience seemed to laugh at them all, implying we're supposed to think they're funny, even when they're ancient or homophobic.

- Achievements are suppose to be just that, you achieved something and we reward it. In the case of a stupid game, they tend to be stupid as well.

Well, we can agree on something at least. Hey, you know what else achievements are good for? Seeing how many people finished your game! Wanna compare it to other point and click adventures?

The Walking Dead S1 - 63.8% finished episode 1, 40% finished the whole game
The Blackwell Legacy - 38.6%
Reversion - 25.5% for chapter 1
Jolly Rover - 22.0%
Gemini Rue - 16.2%
Cognition - 15.4% for episode 1
Detective Case and Clown Bot - 10.9%

But hey, don't feel too down. I'm sure those positive reviews of yours will get people to actually play your game and not just idle for cards. :)

I wish buying new powers/expansions in DCUO gave you extra character slots. I'd love to hop back into it but I really don't want to delete any of the Heroes/Villains I already have.

iosefe

so, for anyone wondering, the Bad Rats stream was a complete success.

i did the first 10 then couldn't handle it after that. But honestly, i enjoyed my experience, with all the wonky physics and cat deaths.

I give bad rats 3 Cat skulls out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom