• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
It should be the exact same client. Most MMO trials don't gate content now, just time/levels. The other thing I didn't think to mention is that the subscription rate changes based on the number of characters you have. One per server up to eight servers is, I think, 12 bucks a month. Up to 8 on a server and 40 total across servers is $15. Something to keep in mind when looking for sub deals.

which one do you think I should get? the $12 or $15 one? and do you have any link to any deals going on right now?

I never play an MMORPG with sub before. all the ones i played for F2P so this is pretty new to me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
That's you and Milamber who have said that now. Didn't know anyone in here would have a flipping clue who Doogie Howser was let alone be wishing for his return. I guess SteamGAF isn't just a bunch of 20 somethings eh.

... make that 3 ;)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Resident Evil remake coming to new consoles and PC makes me quite happy. From a design stand point, I still believe it to be one of, if not, the strongest remakes of a game in video games. Never lost the feel or sense of the original game, increased the feel of the story (Lisa alone is worth replaying the game for), and so many subtle and smart changes that many may not notice, but makes for a far better game.

My only disappointment is lack of 21:9.

In celebration of Shadownet's return let's try something new :)

Don't be afraid to ask for something that may be expensive. Just be sure that it is something you really want and plan to play. There is a reason I'm doing the giveaway this way

An amazing giveaway my friend. I don't feel right entering it myself, but I do love to see such kindness in getting someone to play a game they really want to try out and enjoy. Thank you for doing this.

Tizoc

Hmm can Stump or someone explain this for me please
You have given away 126 games. (42 eligible for 'givers only' rules.)
What games did I give away qualified me for being part of the 'givers only'?

Ventara

Hmm can Stump or someone explain this for me please

What games did I give away qualified me for being part of the 'givers only'?

Games you've given away in the past 3 months.

Edit: If you're asking specifically which games, if you PM modbot with the title "my full loot," it'll list the games you've given away from first to most recent, so the 42 most recent ones are the ones that qualify you for the giveaway.

which one do you think I should get? the $12 or $15 one? and do you have any link to any deals going on right now?

I never play an MMORPG with sub before. all the ones i played for F2P so this is pretty new to me.

There's really no good reason to start more than one character in Ff14 unless you have friends in multiple servers that you want to play with. You can level all classes and crafts on the one character

Knurek

No more PhysX related tears:

teamgreendwjy6.png

Of course, this being PC Gaming (TM), I had to switch to legacy BIOS on the GPU. For some reason system didn't want to boot with the custom MSI BIOS the card defaulted to.

Removed AMD crud from system and launched Batman Oranges to compare.
My previous card (extremely old 6770) could run the game 60 fps in DX9 mode, ~35 in DX11 (while eating ~150 W and sounding like a vacuum cleaner), this one runs in 60 in DX11 with PhysX enabled (and generally is quieter than the CPU fan). Joy.

Now to play flash games/2D pnc adventures only.

Tizoc

Games you've given away in the past 3 months.

Edit: If you're asking specifically which games, if you PM modbot with the title "my full loot," it'll list the games you've given away from first to most recent, so the 42 most recent ones are the ones that qualify you for the giveaway.

Thanks for clearing it up guys.

pahamrick

Should be someone who wants this.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Jet Gunner -- MB-4AD2758D90D4D821 - Taken by Toshin. 13 entrants total.

t1407268482z1.png

No more PhysX related tears:

teamgreendwjy6.png

Of course, this being PC Gaming (TM), I had to switch to legacy BIOS on the GPU. For some reason system didn't want to boot with the custom MSI BIOS the card defaulted to.

Removed AMD crud from system and launched Batman Oranges to compare.
My previous card (extremely old 6770) could run the game 60 fps in DX9 mode, ~35 in DX11 (while eating ~150 W and sounding like a vacuum cleaner), this one runs in 60 in DX11 with PhysX enabled (and generally is quieter than the CPU fan). Joy.

Now to play flash games/2D pnc adventures only.

As the last Opera user I can't imagine you playing anything new. Maybe I should upgrade my vacuum cleaner too, your monologue made me aware of that deafening noise. But on the other hand it is good for winter.

Tizoc

but....

I tend to agree though. Still bitter I encountered a game breaking bug in Origins that won't let me continue my road to 100% with it...

Don't forget Elephant Rider Simulator! I wanna ride that Elephant and bring terror and devastation to Nepindiastan. (No offense)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I still use Opera 12.17 Still the best sessions manager of any browser and without having to use an add-on to do so. Okay sure I lose use of Facebook half the time and Youtube fails to work for me any more, but I can soldier on past it.

Should be someone who wants this.

Hopefully. As "let's make a NES game, exactly like old NES games", this is a rather good one to own and try out.

xeris

I'm an altaholic so I got the $15. That said, I'd probably aim for the $12 one until you know if you like it, especially since one character can be every class in the game. The only reason for alts is to see the starting quests for all the cities or for giggles. For example, I have an alt to level beside my wife's character and another one for when I play on the PS4 so I can learn the joystick commands as I level her. Been awhile since I've looked, but I think they just automatically charge based on number of characters so if you stay under the limit it should be the lower cost. Check me on that though. It should tell you for sure on the account page.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any deals right now. However, the first 30 days are free like with most pay MMO's so you won't have to worry about it for a bit if you do sub. Also, I noticed that if you buy it through Steam they really really want you to use Steam to pay for your sub. For various reasons I didn't wanna do that and it was a pain convincing SE to let me use a bloody credit card.

Oh, and I'm not in it, but there is a very active GAF guild on the Ultros server if that matters. I see the GAF tag everywhere and the FF14 thread here is pretty good.

derExperte

I still use Opera 12.17 Still the best sessions manager of any browser and without having to use an add-on to do so. Okay sure I lose use of Facebook half the time and Youtube fails to work for me any more, but I can soldier on past it.

Me too but more and more sites are having problems, either being too slow or not displaying correctly. I don't think I can deal with it much longer and the new Opera is still not an option for a variety of reasons. Firefox with a few extensions is looking better and better.

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NotSelf, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Helldorado -- MB-AE14A2BD5FC13E59 - Taken by xeris. 1 entrants total.
Shadows on the Vatican Act I Greed -- MB-4E76A9BDA02D3F50 - Taken by redlacs. 7 entrants total.
QuestRun -- MB-A72112E859973E54 - Taken by HoosTrax. 3 entrants total.
The Howle -- MB-DDBC4EB9F7BC93ED - Taken by Hesemonni. 1 entrants total.
Guise of the Wolf -- MB-A0AD9179FADEBCD6 - Taken by tylergregg. 1 entrants total.
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-B514888E8ADABCAC - Taken by someguyinahat. 1 entrants total.

t1407269202z1.png

Shadownet

Banned
I'm an altaholic so I got the $15. That said, I'd probably aim for the $12 one until you know if you like it, especially since one character can be every class in the game. The only reason for alts is to see the starting quests for all the cities or for giggles. For example, I have an alt to level beside my wife's character and another one for when I play on the PS4 so I can learn the joystick commands as I level her. Been awhile since I've looked, but I think they just automatically charge based on number of characters so if you stay under the limit it should be the lower cost. Check me on that though. It should tell you for sure on the account page.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any deals right now. However, the first 30 days are free like with most pay MMO's so you won't have to worry about it for a bit if you do sub. Also, I noticed that if you buy it through Steam they really really want you to use Steam to pay for your sub. For various reasons I didn't wanna do that and it was a pain convincing SE to let me use a bloody credit card.

Oh, and I'm not in it, but there is a very active GAF guild on the Ultros server if that matters. I see the GAF tag everywhere and the FF14 thread here is pretty good.

Thanks for all the info. Is this a good deal? I think this is the only one I can find. Also if I buy the Normal Edition is there an in game option to upgrade it to the Collector Edition later? I know Guild Wars 2 has that option.

http://www.gametap-shop.com/buy-download-pc-games/FINAL-FANTASY-XIV:-A-Realm-Reborn-2886-37.html

Thanks for all the info. Is this a good deal? I think this is the only one I can find. Also if I buy the Normal Edition is there an in game option to upgrade it to the Collector Edition later? I know Guild Wars 2 has that option.

http://www.gametap-shop.com/buy-download-pc-games/FINAL-FANTASY-XIV:-A-Realm-Reborn-2886-37.html

There is an upgrade option to the collectors edition! I own that game twice cause my PS4 copy wouldn't work with PSN down so I rebought it on PC :/

Jawmuncher

Please tell me the musician level is as bad as it gets when it comes to gun enemies or that I'm missing something.

I have no issues with the combat but having to use wall cover while fighting ground enemies feels way off

xeris

That's not bad. Think that's right around what I got mine for on a Steam sale. And yup, can get the collectors edition at any time. I wanna say it's $10.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Vuze, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vuze, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mind: Path to Thalamus -- MB-83A805022459ACB0 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 70 entrants total.

t1407272442z1.png

pahamrick

Garbage dump because it's currently free, and I'm not 100% sure it works. It should, though.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Frozen Hearth -- MB-9F460692D81E35E3 - Taken by Mavromatis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom