• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

I would like to use this occasion to remind everyone that we have an Origin Thread too. It's not monthly though, it's millenial.

I was under the impression that this had become the "Steam (and other PC DD services, when something interesting actually happens on one of them)" thread when it came up a few months back. The only PC DD thread with a strong enough lifeforce to survive independent of its SteamGAF host is the GOG one. :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
How does that Jet Gunner game compare to the likes of Oniken and Dark Void Zero?

Same era of games for tribute, but doesn't take advantage of more recent game design or capabilities. Instead it takes a focus on really being the type of game that could be on early NES. Jet Gunner also doesn't strive to be anything more than a side scrolling left to right gunner action platformer where you shoot, jump, and always move to the right. It doesn't even attempt to do what Contra did back then. Good for what it is, but nothing more than what it is.
I've been enjoying it, but I still play Master System and NES games, and while I recognise that even compared to Jackal or Contra or even The Termintor (Master System) it's nothing special, it's good and competent and a nice break between other games I'm playing now.

Dark Void Zero isn't too far off and mechanically would have worked, but it took advantage of modern systems so as to have so many enemies and smoother jetpack than the old pixel days would have allowed. It's focus on exploring a map and finding keys or hitting switches also separates it, as you are focused on finding the right weapon for the task and going vertical and horizontal.

Oniken went for more combat freedom and just the feel and visual style of a NES/Master System title. It however wouldn't fit on a NES cartridge and does things not seen until later generation of consoles, and tries to appeal somewhat to modern gamers.

So each three are retro, but only Jet Gunner is the one I would really call a "just like the NES days", while the others went for the idea as aesthetics and game feel, not full on design.

This isn't the Origin I was hoping it was.

It isn't the Origin thread anybody ever hoped for. But it's the Origin thread GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt it, because it can take it. Because it's not our hero. It's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

Vastag

14835360211_657164b063_o_d.gif

Beautiful

Nabs

I thought this was kind of cool (Colin McRae Rally):

Hi all just wanted to post an update on our response to the feedback we've received so far for Colin McRae Rally. You can read the original post over on the games community hub discussions tab.

At Codemasters, we care about our customers and pride ourselves on listening to our community.

We understand that some people who bought Colin McRae Rally on Steam are upset and feel that it isn’t the game they thought it would be. We have now updated the product description for clarification.

Furthermore, as an act of good faith, we have worked with Valve to enable anyone that bought the game to claim a refund. The ability to refund will be available until the 19th August.

To process a refund, please go to your account transactions page and you will see a “Refund” button for Colin McRae Rally. We hope this goes some way to restoring any lost faith and thank you as always, for your continued support.

jblank83

It isn't the Origin thread anybody ever hoped for. But it's the Origin thread GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt it, because it can take it. Because it's not our hero. It's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

I wouldn't mind hunting Origin. I'd like to take a few shots at it.

In celebration of Shadownet's return let's try something new :)

That's right I will gift the winner his top wishlisted game or whatever game he wishes for. From Galactic Civilizations III to Bad Rats. Price doesn't matter. Some extra rules

-I will not buy any software or ridiculously priced stuff (Train Simulator DLCs for example)
-I will not buy any removed games that require searching for copies on trading sites
-If you want a game that doesn't have a store page yet (GTA V,Evil Within etc), it's ok. I will gift it to you the moment it's available on Steam

Don't be afraid to ask for something that may be expensive. Just be sure that it is something you really want and plan to play. There is a reason I'm doing the giveaway this way

If i win this, i will be all:

iOPzMi1D8m1gP.gif

Because i will be getting either Divinity: Original Sin or Lego Star Wars Saga.

bronson

Desura dump

ModBot said:
Instructions for bronson:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 11 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

ulgzbKC.png
QuestRun (Desura) -- MB-6A508977908B1FB4 - Taken by iosefe
ulgzbKC.png
Face Noir (Desura) -- MB-726600B1470184D3 - Taken by Darth Kupi
ulgzbKC.png
Exceed 3rd (Desura) -- MB-77E98EC1FC947E52 - Taken by user237
ulgzbKC.png
Exceed 2nd (Desura) -- MB-E314826A6F16647E - Taken by user237
ulgzbKC.png
One Finger Death Punch (Desura) -- MB-238CF55B74FF0A67 - Taken by ModBot - Taken by GaussTek
ulgzbKC.png
Gateways (Desura) -- MB-B6665C90FFCB21B8 - Taken by Henry Swanson
ulgzbKC.png
Suguri Collection (Desura) -- MB-1F265EBD16C55F4A - Taken by Tellaerin
ulgzbKC.png
Exceed 1 (Desura) -- MB-4B83110A3A366A57 - Taken by Henry Swanson
ulgzbKC.png
Ether Vapor Remaster (Desura) -- MB-B104ADD49C5DA9C8 - Taken by Henry Swanson
ulgzbKC.png
Satazius (Desura) -- MB-8059C6182C6783E7 - Taken by cardinalmind
ulgzbKC.png
Cognition Episode 1 (Desura) -- MB-D1C109F69A131B9E - Taken by Henry Swanson

Grief.exe

Not a bad move. Its a MP only game that definitely needs more marketing. Though perhaps there were some big issues in the alpha. Or 2K just didn't need 2 holiday titles with borderlands covering that.

Take Two is already fairly stacked this last quarter.

Borderlands
Civ
GTAV
Evolve
NBA 2K15
WWE

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Or seeing as they were the publisher, work something out with Crytek and bring Second Sight back as well.
Its never happening is it?

Second Sight is in a good spot, legally speaking: it was yanked because publishing rights reverted back to Free Radical (now Crytek UK). The issue is Crytek. A few of us here sent e-mails to it about bringing the game back to GOG/Steam, but unsurprisingly we were ignored. I hope Deep Silver decides to buy out Crytek wholesale as at this point I don't trust the latter to lift a finger.

Shadownet

Banned
Downloading the free trial for FFXIV now. Will buy if I like it. Now I just gotta be on the look out for that 180 days subscription card.

aScaris

Just finished Blackwell Legacy after I bought it during the sale due to the recommendations in the sale thread. What a great little game I experienced during the last two evenings :) Really liked the characters and the voiceacting, but it was a shame that it was that short.. But hey, there are still some more Blackwell games in the bundle :D I hope they kept up the quality and maybe made the sequels a little longer :)

Anyways, thanks SteamGAF for pointing me towards a game I had never heard of and would have missed, but enjoyed a great deal of! :)

jblank83

Just finished Blackwell Legacy after I bought it during the sale due to the recommendations in the sale thread. What a great little game I experienced during the last two evenings :) Really liked the characters and the voiceacting, but it was a shame that it was that short.. But hey, there are still some more Blackwell games in the bundle :D I hope they kept up the quality and maybe made the sequels a little longer :)

Anyways, thanks SteamGAF for pointing me towards a game I had never heard of and would have missed, but enjoyed a great deal of! :)

Resonance and Gemini Rue, by the same developer, are also great.

tav7623

Giving away a Hitman Contracts game code, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (tav7623, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hitman Contracts -- MB-78350F598711E062 - Taken by Porcupine

Grief.exe

Halo Collection has been confirmed for PC??

No, not even close.

Take Amazon preorder postings with a massive grain of salt. There is generally no liability in putting a listing up as they don't charge the customer until the item ships. Pile on top of that a lack of oversight and little communication between divisions and you frequently get false postings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do not, under any circumstances, wander into the Halo Collection PC thread.
You have been warned.
Frst two posts I saw:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=124124267
I don't understand why a private person would want to keep a game stay exclusive?
If you love the game, shouldn't you be interested in as many people as possible to play it? First, so they can have fun, too. Second, so that with higher sales, future installations can be guaranteed and even be bigger and better.

Why do people "love" companies and almost sell their souls to them I never understand.
Especially console companies which are the worst regarding so many things, e.g. future security of being able to play games, cost of software etc.

Me being able to buy and play the game on PC doesn't take anything away from these guys. It only adds. There is no downside imo.

Salsa

That sound you hear is hell freezing over.

there was no game update so that's why I hadnt checked

apparently since it was after the "connecting now" it was an issue with their servers? the game requires an internet connection?

also who won your giveaway

was it me

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm really digging Eidolon.

It has a Proteus vibe, but it's more grounded in discovering the story of what happened to the world.

It's a very slow game. Almost meditative at times. The sound design and music are exceptional.

I'd say it's the Euro Truck Simulator 2 of post-apocalyptic hiking.

Dr Dogg

Second Sight is in a good spot, legally speaking: it was yanked because publishing rights reverted back to Free Radical (now Crytek UK). The issue is Crytek. A few of us here sent e-mails to it about bringing the game back to GOG/Steam, but unsurprisingly we were ignored. I hope Deep Silver decides to buy out Crytek wholesale as at this point I don't trust the latter to lift a finger.

Yeah I seem to recall you mentioning that a while back. The remnants of what was Free Radical Design is sadly gone way, way before Crytek got their hands on them. There was a great yet sad retrospective on Eurogamer a while back retelling their history from ex Rare wiz kids to struggling to get Haze out the door. Still as I mentioned earlier Koch have no qualms putting their IPs or published titles on Steam.

Do not, under any circumstances, wander into the Halo Collection PC thread.

You have been warned.

Frst two posts I saw:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=124124267

Too late as I've already skimmed it. I could be a dick and say some of the posts have the air of purchase validation about them but really I can't sum it up any other way. It not like a Halo has never appeared on a non Xbox platform. I mean Christ it was a Mac RTS game in the guise of Myth at one point.

Thread started on: 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Last post: 06-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Total # of posts: 23

Longest interval between two consecutive posts: 353 days (06-14-2013 - 06-01-2014)

"He's not dead, son. He's just sleeping."

Well Ubisoft like informing me once a month about their growing library. Apparently they have over 800* games now.

*What they fail to mention is that by game they mean items and by items about 40% give or take is microtransaction and cosmetic dress up tat. Another 25% or so is some real old stuff too.

aScaris

Resonance and Gemini Rue, by the same developer, are also great.

Both games look quite good :) I will keep an eye open and when they go on sale I might bite. 8€/10€ is a little too expensive for me for this kind of games and I sill have some more Blackwell to play! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom