• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

Guerrilla night this friday, trying out Red Faction Guerrilla's Multiplayer, likely CTF, supports 16 players.
header.jpg

t1407555000z4.png

Hugstable

Banned
14 day trial. they didn't ask for any CC info (so far). you can chose to upgrde

Play for free for 14 days no strings attached. After that buy the game with a free month then pay for the subscription. Also I know the feeling but the MMO itch is bothering me and WoW's expansion doesn't come out any time soon. FFXIV will have to scratch it.

Where would I find this 14 day Free Trial at? I'm looking on the website and I don't know if I'm overlooking it, but I can't find it.

Deitus

Oh man, all of this talk about the FFXIV trial is making it really hard to resist. I know it's a well liked game, and I LOVED FFXI when I played it. But I just don't think I can do another subscription MMO.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Ozium, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stick it to the Man! -- MB-504D126606BE1C80 - Taken by Knurek. 17 entrants total.

t1407287142z1.png

Khronico

Well, new laptop arrived today! It's a pretty decent one too (AMD R7 M265, 6gb RAM, i5 4200u) I'll finally be able to play all these newfangled pc games. Also Win8 kinda sucks so far. This new start menu is hot garbage.

Jawmuncher

Well, new laptop arrived today! It's a pretty decent one too (AMD R7 M265, 6gb RAM, i5 4200u) I'll finally be able to play all these newfangled pc games. Also Win8 kinda sucks so far. This new start menu is hot garbage.

Get the start Menu replacement and it'll be just like windows 7. After that 8 isn't all that bad.

jblank83

Upgrade to 8.1, if you haven't already, and enable boot to desk top. Use right click not left click on the new start button for a nice collection of system management shortcuts.

The "multiples of the same hero" thing is why I've always preferred the City of Heroes/DCUO approach to superhero MMO's. Kinda wish Marvel would do something similar - it'd be cool to create an original hero and team up with/fight canon Marvel characters. (I don't really see it happening - hell, given Disney's halfhearted support for anything not named Infinity, I'm surprised Marvel properties have gotten any kind of love at all when it comes to games - but I can always dream.)

If they allowed you to create an original hero, you just know the first thing that would happen is they run into copyright trouble when there's a bunch of Batmen and Supermen running around. Same thing happened with DCUO, but it got resolved fairly quickly I think. It would be interesting to see how Marvel handles it to be sure. But personally, I prefer to play existing heroes than ones I make myself.

Shadownet

Banned
If they allowed you to create an original hero, you just know the first thing that would happen is they run into copyright trouble when there's a bunch of Batmen and Supermen running around. Same thing happened with DCUO, but it got resolved fairly quickly I think. It would be interesting to see how Marvel handles it to be sure. But personally, I prefer to play existing heroes than ones I make myself.

How did they resolved that? in DCUO i mean.
----------------------------------------------------------

Jawmuncher

If there's one thing I really like about the TT games gameplay style now. It's how easy it is for casuals to play or watch. My sister is playing Wolf Among us as killer is dead downloads and isn't doing bad at all even during the action scenes.

Khronico

Get the start Menu replacement and it'll be just like windows 7. After that 8 isn't all that bad.

Upgrade to 8.1, if you haven't already, and enable boot to desk top. Use right click not left click on the new start button for a nice collection of system management shortcuts.

Yeah it's already win8.1, I think most of the trouble is figuring out where everything is now. I also didn't know about boot to desktop so thanks for pointing that out!

That boot speed though.

But seriously, press windows key and type in the first few characters of the program is way after than using cursor in a sea of icons.
What game is ARR short for?
FF14: A Realm Reborn.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yanno, every so often I run into something that drives home just how much gaming's changed.

I just poked my head into Amir0x' "indie games for people who don't like indies" thread. Someone there posted that he didn't like most indies because he doesn't like 2D games in general. It just felt so strange to think that there are people out there now that can't remember a time when 3D wasn't a thing. Meanwhile, I can still remember a time when scrolling sprites and bitmap images were all we had, and faked 3D using crudely scaled sprites or primitive vector graphics was utterly mindblowing.

Amazing how far we've come in such a short time.
Maybe they don't enjoy platformers or shoot 'em ups. Personally I can count with one hand the amount of turn-based RPGs I've enjoyed, and they have been around since the dawn of man, if not a bit earlier.

Each person has different tastes, that doesn't mean gaming has necessarily changed. Hell, I'd dare say there's a lot more old-school games nowadays than ever (well, except maybe for the time when those games were called "current-school").

Just finished Deus Ex for the first time, and was my first time getting anywhere past Hell's Kitchen. It really made me appreciate the ways Human Revolution changed things, and to see how limited other games in the same genre are.

It wasn't really fun to shoot play-doh men in lego squares passed off as buildings. What I long considered to be a boring level, Liberty Island, turned out to be the best designed in the whole game.

The ending I chose was more anti-climactic than I envisioned the ending to such a story being. Kind of disappointing, really.

Glad I played it, but didn't have any fun, if that makes sense.

Kanokare

What server do you play on? I've been thinking of trying that 14 day trial.

AHHHHHH yeah I started a snowball effect.

Yeah i need to know what server you play on too Seven. so we can all play together.

I play on Gilgamesh (US server) and my character name is Kano Kare.. The server might not allow you to create a character during peak hours though so try late at night or in the morning if you have to :D

If anything else the FF14 can also be very helpful when I was there. They don't play on Gigglemesh though :(

jblank83

Yeah it's already win8.1, I think most of the trouble is figuring out where everything is now. I also didn't know about boot to desktop so thanks for pointing that out!

You'll also want to disable the sidebars and charms or whatever that junk is called. Then limit searches to computer (smart search off). There are other things to do, but this'll get rid of most of the Windows 8 junk.

The new start button is actually useful for collecting all the Windows management programs. The new file explorer has some nice options also.

Smashman

Neo Member
There's a community thread, but it's not seeing a lot of action these days.

Eh, stuff it. I'm about to use the word 'jshackles' in a post and I know how much you all love him!

I have worked with Jason upon Enhanced Steam and he's given me great insight, so I decided to break out upon my own to create a website that I noticed that people have been hankering for in the Team Fortress 2 world.

So I'd like you guys to see mods.tf!

Essentially, item creators can upload their items directly from the Steam Workshop on to the site and with minimal interaction from them, distribute their item to any number of users.

The users can view the item and, with a single click of a mouse, download the item to replace essentially any item in the game (providing it matches a few basic constraints)

The website is completely open source at: code.mods.tf

I'd love to know what you guys think as I know that you have all been highly supportive of Jason and have helped him so much.

Thanks!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Basileus777:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Basileus777, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

WORLD END ECONOMiCA EP1 -- MB-8E175E36711E8389 - Taken by Ventara. 16 entrants total.

t1407371082z1.png
This is for episode 1 of World End Economica, a pretty decent visual novel.

Shadownet

Banned
I play on Gilgamesh (US server) and my character name is Kano Kare.. The server might not allow you to create a character during peak hours though so try late at night or in the morning if you have to :D

If anything else the FF14 can also be very helpful when I was there. They don't play on Gigglemesh though :(

Look like I'll be joining Gilgamesh then as soon as I finish making my character's look :p im sure you can show me the rope!

Because I played the FFXIV Beta on PS4 I'm not eligible for a free trial. :\

I guess I'll make a temp account and if I decide to buy it I'll use my original account. What a pain.

Kanokare

Look like I'll be joining Gilgamesh then as soon as I finish making my character's look :p im sure you can show me the rope!

Yup I'll do my best :) The game has a slow start though. Maybe until you hit 15-20 is when it holds your hands less. Which apparently is where the trial is capped haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom