• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just intrigued as when/if I release a game, I wouldn't want to lose out on potential revenue as an indie developer who wouldn't make much money anyway. Again, I'm a hypocrite on the matter.

Why worry about it at all, they'll always find a way to buy your game cheaper. If not then perhaps they'll go the next cheapest option - free. However, I don't personally believe in 'Lost Revenue'.

In essence, people don't care if you use SAM to make money idling for cards, but if you use it for completely arbitrary achievement scores, it crosses a line.
Yeah, that's why I asked. Couldn't rationalize whether it's ok for achievements when played first time idling is ok. Definitely not worth getting banned though.

Anyone have an issue where you're unable to pay greenmangaming? My credit card which I've made all my purchases from up until now doesn't work nor does my paypal account.

tjohn86

I'm suddenly hooked on CS:GO... even though its on Steam I feel like I'm abandoning the rest of my library. What is wrong with me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At work right now so I can't access seem but if someone could help me with a little something: What's the cheapest Zen Pinball 2 has been?

Wanna get it for the Deadpool board :p

Pinball FX2 is free. The Deadpool table is $2.99.

Beelzebubs

Yeah, that's why I asked. Couldn't rationalize whether it's ok for achievements when played first time idling is ok. Definitely not worth getting banned though.

Data caps. Just because I own a game eligible for Playfire first time play rewards does not mean I can actually download the title. If I was going for the achievements yeah, I'd have to install the game. I see it as a clear difference between getting achievements by actually playing as opposed to getting £0.10 for just opening a game which could be a 12gb download taking hours and usage of my 100gb a month cap.

Lain

What? I knew certain things were restricted in the trial, but you can't even send tells? That's awful.

I finally created my character and went through the tutorial, so I'll be ready to play with you guys later on, but from the sound of it, it's going to be hard to coordinate.

I know the feeling. I know it's a bad idea, but I can't resist.

For legit people it is, but how else are you going to cripple the gold sellers that would just hop from trial account to trial account to spam the playerbase? I don't know how it is now, but when I left they were still rampant in their tell spam.

Also you guys should be making characters on the same server as the GAF clan. There were a lot of good, helpful people in it when I stopped playing and I figure there still are. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847265

9mPMVTq.png

Hero of the Kingdom became my 18th perfect game this morning. (Not that the achievements were all that challenging, you can get most of them during the normal course of the game and the rest just take a smidgen of grinding.)

Thanks for the impressions, I'll have to fire it up sometime

In essence, people don't care if you use SAM to make money idling for cards, but if you use it for completely arbitrary achievement scores, it crosses a line.

No one gives a fuck if you boost your e-peen using SAM to unlock your achievements. It's boosting your e-peen using SAM to unlock achievements that are tied to playfire rewards that's the problem.

Cards don't require you to 'play' the game. Playfire rewards do.

Volimar

Data caps. Just because I own a game eligible for Playfire first time play rewards does not mean I can actually download the title. If I was going for the achievements yeah, I'd have to install the game. I see it as a clear difference between getting achievements by actually playing as opposed to getting £0.10 for just opening a game which could be a 12gb download taking hours and usage of my 100gb a month cap.

Do you ever plan to play that game?

No one gives a fuck if you boost your e-peen using SAM to unlock your achievements. It's boosting your e-peen using SAM to unlock achievements that are tied to playfire rewards that's the problem.

Cards don't require you to 'play' the game. Playfire rewards do.

Whoa, calm down there. We're all friends here. Just making a joke.

Beelzebubs

Do you ever plan to play that game?

Not when it's stuff I got from bundles :p I usually buy them if there's at least 1 title I'm interested in which I will play eventually. The rest just sit in backlog. Some I just buy for the cards.

One of the first time play rewards this week is Space Hack, a game I have absolutely no interest in playing but it's being given away for free so may as well use SAM for it.

Lomax

Why are you trying so hard to defend your own honor over a petty, ignorant and pointless post? You didn't have an actual point to make, you just randomly wanted to shit on a developer of an indie game you irrationally hate. What exactly is the point of that supposed to be? I thought we were adults in here.

And, for the record, I was more annoyed by the 20 people who wanted to ride the hate train and post like "Yeah, I've never played it but I KNEW IT SUCKED LOL". It's like I was in kindergarten all of a sudden.

It's a great game with a nice retro concept of having different levels be different gaming systems. The main levels are Amiga, then there are GameBoy, Virtual Boy and CGA graphics levels.

I think the point most of us was making was that it doesn't matter if it is great or not, it has no apparent appeal. Games sell on appeal. When games are great, word of mouth helps. When games are average or niche, they often get lost. The game lacks obvious appeal, and never got any buzz otherwise. If the Dev thought he was going to get instant riches on Steam by bundling his game and getting lost in the mix with many many great indie platformers, he's delusional.

My thoughts too heh (sorry feeling really exhausted, heavy and tired today =_= )

At work right now so I can't access seem but if someone could help me with a little something: What's the cheapest Zen Pinball 2 has been?

Wanna get it for the Deadpool board :p

When it has sales, the tables have hit 75% off. TBH the Deadpool table isn't that great, I much prefer the new Guardians of the Galaxy table. If you have an android tablet, the tables are only $2 there. If you have Amazon coins, you can get 60 coins back with each table which makes them 139 coins each, that's how I've been buying them recently and I'll double dip on Steam when they go on sale again.

Well.
Marvel 2k15 is addictive as hell.

Gave up trying for the level 50 playfire reward in Dead Island. Sewer areas are universally terrible. Plus I didn't care for how much damage zombies were doing(1/3 of my health on a single attack).

Focusing on Arkham Origins now. The sooner I beat it the sooner I can free up some HDD space.

Mutant Mudds is okay. Solid platforming, decently-paced, difficulty is fair enough, but still just okay. It's the kinda game that will get lost in bundles.

Turfster

You know what would be great, Valve?
If now that you added buy orders to cards, those orders were listed on the badge page too.

Well, at the very least it serves as a demo for the game that will hopefully get people to check out the real thing. I enjoyed it a fair bit, the guy who does the quick-fire knives was pretty great, think he was my favourite of the bunch.

Jason Statham is always *that* awesome. Ask JShackles.

If you just go through the main game, and the Jetstream Sam and Blade Wolf DLCs, probably six to ten hours. It tends to vary a lot depending on what difficulty you play on. If you do most of the VR missions and really stretch out the game, it could take longer, especially if you go back and play on higher difficulties. If you do decide to play MGR, watch this video, it'll help a lot.

There are a lot of mods for DX, but I'm not really familiar with most of them, I played it years ago so I'm not up to date on it.

6 hours for all single player missions in MGR:R? What sorcery is this?
It'd probably take about 7-8, as far as I figure, with 8 being more likely (5-6 for main story + 1 hour for each dlc).

Enco

Do you guys prefer longer games or shorter? Does it depend on the game?

Personally I prefer linear games to be on the shorter side (6 hours).

Open ended games such as GTA, CK2 and JC2 I'm more than happy to long.

Mono

Good morning/afternoon/timezone SteamGAF!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mono, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Divinity: Original Sin -- MB-3F0FCBE380521C98 - Taken by Xclash. 135 entrants total.

t1407349602z1.png

That makes sense.

Shadownet

Banned
Free GMG credit for completing certain achievements in games.

Do you have to complete those certain achievements during a time period? Or they can be completed whenever.

And I'm assuming your steam account is linked to playfire so it automatically know when you complete an achievement.

Do you have to complete those certain achievements during a time period? Or they can be completed whenever.

And I'm assuming your steam account is linked to playfire so it automatically know when you complete an achievement.

Yes you have a time period.

Yes you have to link your account.

Mono

Gonna be a long 3 hours

You've got this! \o/

There's a time limit! They post new achievment rewards on their blog every day with a timer, but it's a lot easier to just use this tool so that you don't miss anything from games you already own. And yes, you have to link your Steam account to Playfire first.

Beelzebubs

Yeah, they have to be completed during a certain time period so if you've already played the game or unlocked the achievement you get nada. It's basically a way to try and sell games on GMG which is a great deed by them.

Just have a look at the rewards page to clarify my incoherent rambling.

https://www.playfire.com/a/rewards

Playfire is buggy as hell though, sometimes it won't register your achievements or whether you have played a game. I've had my Steam account linked since the Alpha and still haven't gotten the £0.50 credit you were supposed to get.

So I got to play Ampu-tea last night (thanks maneil99) and was able to make a perfect tea after about an hour of messing around (easy mode), with most achievements except the play 500 times one... and it wasn't too bad. Had a few laughs, and liked that many achievements are obtained while you're raging at the whole experience. Some problems I had were not being able to grip the cup securely due to those weak fingers (always tipping over spilling all my hard work), and my depth perception was off at times. I was definitely more ready to play (with lots of patience) after playing Surgeon Sim 2013 a few months ago. I'll have to try Probably Archery whenever I get a chance.

Volimar

Is Marvel Heroes playable solo? I don't tend to be able to play games at regular times, so I don't like stuff that relies too much on multiplayer.

Yes, and it's more of an arpg than an mmo so if you do want to group up for some of the content, you usually can with strangers for as little as ten minutes in many instances. The Supergroup isn't mainly for grouping up, mostly for chatting. Occasionally people will group to tackle tough things like the recently released raid, but there's no pressure on you to do so.

It's a great game to play casually until the addiction takes hold and you spend the rest of your life there.

Yes, and it's more of an arpg than an mmo so if you do want to group up for some of the content, you usually can with strangers for as little as ten minutes in many instances. The Supergroup isn't mainly for grouping up, mostly for chatting. Occasionally people will group to tackle tough things like the recently released raid, but there's no pressure on you to do so.

It's a great game to play casually until the addiction takes hold and you spend the rest of your life there.

Jumping in the fire tonight

Beelzebubs

I tried getting back into it recently, I stopped playing after getting bored with Limbo runs being the only end game.

I got confused as hell a few weeks ago, so much has changed with it, so much to do but I got lost as hell and decided to not play it again til I'd read up on changes.

It really is a good game. The actual best thing about Marvel Heroes though is their dev team actually listen to the players and will even respond to you if you message them on the forums. Doomsaw is especially great.

Mono

That sounds awesome!

I wish DC Universe Online was an arpg. Or a good game. :( I would totally jump on Marvel Heros if not for the fact that I'm not really a big fan of Mavel superheros outside of Deadpool, Spiderman, and half of the Avengers. I'm way too big of a DC nerd!

maneil99

Props to shadownet because PayPal hates canadians, if no fees come up from my bank (Was 5$ each transaction last time) I might do more

ModBot said:
Instructions for maneil99:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 27 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maneil99, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Manhunter #2 -- MB-A2F06AD94DA0FAA2 - Taken by bobnowhere
Cobi Treasure Deluxe #2 -- MB-FF0344579F777DFD - Taken by lukiluk
Humanity Asset #2 -- MB-4B910FE79AEEBD33
Nosferatu: Wrath of Malachi -- MB-AC718843B60742BD - Taken by okiemok
Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-A3D35D683B20B764 - Taken by Pop
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-D9AA9CEF29F01E20 - Taken by bronson
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-2A20FAAB32361F85 - Taken by MTE
Realms of the Haunting -- MB-DC9F9AE167601CF6 - Taken by fenners
Humanity Asset -- MB-B40E4FD873EEC8A6
Ampu-Tea -- MB-BA737F08E335690B - Taken by Kifimbo
Soulbringer #2 -- MB-F4EDCCA467ED910C - Taken by Roboleon
Chompy Chomp Chomp #2 -- MB-BD07E4277E7BB190 - Taken by Gunstarheroes
Manhunter -- MB-79031AEAB0BD028B - Taken by drakaenae
Desert Thunder #2 -- MB-1B7A09F4D77042E7 - Taken by ReduxMachine
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- MB-CF2FA468477FCB75 - Taken by Santini
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition #2 -- MB-77CDB1EE1F9B24B6 - Taken by fuzzy123
Desert Thunder -- MB-EE3A9A32310097F8 - Taken by illusionary
Hostile Waters -- MB-3238280BCDD6128B - Taken by tylergregg
Marine Sharpshooter II -- MB-908D55065A801959 - Taken by shackdaddy836
Nosferatu: Wrath of Malach -- MB-7B528CF94B9978DB - Taken by Dusk Golem
Grim Mind -- MB-5FD7D54BFA9FB0A5 - Taken by danhese007
Grimind -- MB-1D0A6274E65D6916 - Taken by Feel_The_Pain
Marine Sharpshooter II #2 -- MB-220DBF3D9838DD68
Gun Metal -- MB-9BCD2D19B1ADEBF2 - Taken by Baust
Gun Metal #2 -- MB-CEEE0DE079FDBECE - Taken by A Fish Aficionado
Ampu-Tea #2 -- MB-11137677DA47423F - Taken by darkchewie
Soulbringer -- MB-E8BB8FFA64EA1A2B - Taken by Shadownet

Gun Metal looks cool as fuck and Reals of the Haunted looks creepy 90's game

i think im going to mark my calendar for late 2015 because there's going to be a lot of crow eating done when Master Chief comes to the PC around that time.

well, they'll probably announce in mid 2015 so i better start saving up on crow soon, now that i think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom