• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

Let's keep going, shall we?
(Note: Steam keys but still requires uPlay, I believe.)

It does require uPlay.

Generic 2D platformer #10919585?

Mutant Mudds is not generic. It actually has some unique ideas about what makes a platformer, coupled to some tight core mechanics and good level design. It doesn't come through in screenshots, which is half the game's problem in sales, but it's worth playing.

Tried to get into Scourge: Outbreak (3rd person UE3 shooter bundle fodder).

Then they throws these bullet-sponge alien bugs at me.
Infinite re-spawning + big guys that one-shot you = fuck this shit.

Not even worth keeping it installed to get cards.

rtcn63

The city was dull, the sidequests were few and repetitive, and the forced gunplay sections sucked in SD. Still probably better than GTAIV.

Shadownet

Banned
It's an MMO. The only store that sells the Steam version is Steam itself.

Are there any differences between the Steam version and a regular non-steam version?

Like I'm assuming the Steam version track your stats, etc while the other one doesn't. (I know there are no achievements)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are there any differences between the Steam version and a regular non-steam version?

Like I'm assuming the Steam version track your stats, etc while the other one doesn't. (I know there are no achievements)

The Steam version tracks your playtime, if you want to be generous and count that as a stat. ;)

But both X-Men Legends were good! And you can use Magneto in the second one.

66966-X-Men_Legends_USA_NGC-STINKYCUBE-8.jpg

Hell yeah. Would love for a Steam release of these.

Well shoo :3 I don't think I'll be able to do it. I barely play any of my games on time as it is.

Playfire is good if you have a hard time deciding which game to play next. Most time frames are 7-14 days.

Okay, folks, up for more impressions of a point and click? As promised, since I won it here (thanks again!) here are my impressions of The Samaritan Paradox:

The story: I used the word "engaging" yesterday, and upon finishing it, I'll happily upgrade it to "gripping." In turns, you'll be intrigued, enchanted, excited, shocked, downright disgusted, happy...all in the space of 5 or 6 hours (a healthy length for a point-and-click.) Without giving away too much, you play Ord Salomon, a Swedish cryptologist - so solving puzzles makes sense for you - and Ph.D. student in the 80s who finds a code in a book and sets off a mystery that branches from familial connections into international intrigue and local religious corruption. You also get to play a story within a story, as he finds chapters of a book. His "reading" them is your playing them.

The graphics: Not the best, but hand-drawn. There are antialiasing features that I strongly recommend. It's very easy to believe that it's the 80s in this game: the very first scene shows a television presenter wearing a brown jacket with an orange shirt and a green tie, complete with a small moustache, before you get loud static as the TV goes on the fritz. Then the main character's bright green rotary phone rings. A lot of the little details were correct. So it gets points for atmosphere in that respect. How strange that I go from one point and click set in the 80s in a foreign country to this one, and how one felt so wrong and one felt so right. Take note, Detective Case and Clown-Bot.

The dialogue: Very well done. It was set in Sweden, but they wisely decided to let everyone speak normally and not give anyone Swedish accents as they spoke English. I think it was enough that they give people typically Swedish names and left it at that. The voice acting was superb, and for a guy who's played his share of point and clicks, a lot of the names were familiar. A handful of spelling errors but nothing too egregious, and a handful of points where names are pronounced differently and they really shouldn't have been. "My name is Freja (pronounced Fray-ya.)" "What can I do for you, Fray-ja?" But that was probably the only jarring thing about it. Everything else was great.

The gameplay: What you'd expect from a point and click. The worst things about it are the floating inventory bar that pops up when you're trying to leave a room, and occasionally items get sticky - you think you've stopped trying to use an inventory item on something when it tells you that you can't use that item on "To Village." But overall it's good. There is one achievement that is broken for some people (including me) and a second one that rewards you for taking a moral choice you might not necessarily agree with, so be aware of that.

The puzzles: The meat of the story. One particularly good one happens early on. Obviously I won't spoil, but I found a clue, thinking I needed to use it for this one thing. I did, but the clue was in fact for two different (but linked) things. Once I saw it, it was quite remarkable how it was done. There are a few puzzles which require precise timing, and I'm not a fan of those. But overall it's a good puzzling experience.

The music and sound: Limited. Not a lot of tracks to speak of. None particularly bad.

The verdict: Damn good. A story with brain, heart, and a little something to churn the stomach. Best point and click I've played since Blackwell Deception, and I don't make that comparison lightly. For a studio's first effort, I'm truly excited to see what they've got in store for us next. GET IT. Currently ten bucks on Steam. Worth it at that price? ...Probably! But keep an eye on it for a sale, just in case. :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The X-Men Legends games were great and would have been phenomenal on the PC. Maybe if they ever bring the series back we'll see a PC version.

I wonder what's considered the best Console Version - I've done some research, but I couldn't find anybody comparing them.

Dr Dogg

The Sleeping Dogs DE quite likely explains why the Tomb Raider DE hasn't made it to the PC yet -- Squeenix knows that by releasing a PC version of the latter, people would realise a port of the former is inevitable and so sales of the console versions would suffer somewhat as a result. I suspect PC ports of both will be announced simultaneously no later than mid next year.

Well it's Square Enix, everything comes to PC/Steam eventually (even more so their Western stuff). Of the big hitters that they has released recently that only really leaves Hitman Absolution as not getting a Directors Cut/Definitive Edition (Thief is already on the new consoles so no idea if that would get the same treatment) so I guess once they have done with that we might get to (re)buy them. You get some +1's I get to ride around Northpoint and terrorise an island of pirates again!

It will come to PC,
as a PDF

I might get the PS4 version.... I don't even have a PS4.

Hahaha well my reasoning aside from loving the concept and promo art of Sleeping Dogs is that hopefully more sales might mean more of a push for Sleeping Dogs 2. It's been very quite on that front, even that Triad Wars game (well apart from that tweet at Christmas with someone's TV in the background a tiny bit in view).

Grief.exe

What the hell is wrong with The Tower? Steam says I'm in-game, but the game doesn't appear in my played games at all.
Also on Steamgift I can enter in giveaways for the game, even if I own it.

Did you start it?

Sometimes this happens when an exe fails to stop, go into your task manager and kill the process.

DontBlink

I wonder what's considered the best Console Version - I've done some research, but I couldn't find anybody comparing them.

I believe this if from an old GameSpot review (I played on GC and had not complaints):
"The expected differences hold true here, as the Xbox version looks and sounds cleaner than the other two, though the GameCube is a very close second. The PlayStation 2 version also has longer load times than the other two versions. The game controls just as well on the Xbox, PlayStation 2, and GameCube, so it's roughly identical where it truly counts."

aku:jiki

So from what I gather it is a collectathon?
No, it's a run-back-and-forth adventure game. Collectables exist but can be almost completely ignored. It's not Starfox Adventures.

Pretty much.
Pick flowers, use flowers to buy keys, use keys to open locked doors, get treasure chests from inside the rooms located behind locked doors, repeat.
You did it wrong, man. You don't buy separate keys, you buy the master key that's available from Shoppington right off the bat. I didn't end up using flowers at all. Just smash every pot you run past on your quests and you'll be more than fine (unless you're a completionist who needs to spend like 20,000 gold maxing out the stealth necklace even though it's useless).

Arthea

guys, I had such a funny moment right now, gotta share this. I was playing T.E.C. 3001, having fun more or less... until I hit 6th level, I think it was 6th, so it has triple barriers at the start and after lots of walls and a battery on the right, I tried maybe 10 times, if not more, I hit the wall every single time, if I don't hit the wall, I leave track, I decided finally not to go for battery, result is the same, I'm literally laughing out laud here. This game is definitely too fast for me
, or I'm not seeing something
. Anybody is playing it?

JaseC

Hello Retro,

Those who purchase the 2012 Edition now, will receive a free update for the 2015 Edition next year, upon its release. Those who are participating in the Pre-Alpha, will only get access to the 2015 version, up until a certain point (fairly close to the Alpha/Beta transition). As they get early access to this version for free, they are not entitled to a finalised copy. HOWEVER, these guys ARE entitled to a full name credit in the final 2015 version. We like to think this is a fairly nice balance of rewards.

Someone can explain this to me? It's about The Tower.

The alpha keys that have been/will be given out will be revoked later; those who purchase the game, however, are entitled to the full release.

Lomax

Pretty sure the Gamecube version was considered the best but I doubt there's a huge difference. Personally I preferred the original to the sequel as well.

Pretty sure they only have spiderman now from Sony.

Acti voluntarily canned its contract with Marvel at the beginning of the year, which is why Deadpool disappeared. The Spider-Man games survived because of an agreement with Sony to release a tie-in to TASM 2 (and possibly also TASM 3).

Well I thought maybe they'd still have the X-Men license since it was typically dished out separately over the years and has had more consistent success. Guess not. Didn't realize their last X-Men game was tied up in all the Silicon Knights mess as well. But good news, a mobile game is in development!
Sometimes the game industry makes my soul hurt.

JaseC

I've received a key from one of the developers because I own the game on Desura, 2012 version, how can I check if this is the full release or Alpha one?
I only have "The Tower" in my history.

You can't. You'll have to ask. There's going to be quite the shitstorm if those who'd previously purchased the non-Steam version are asked to buy the game again once it hits beta.

Tizoc

I am exhausted mentally and physically and it's affected my work just now...albeit slightly-ish.
...well new Humble Bundle in 1 hour, hope it's a good book/comic bundle.

StAidan

Okay, folks, up for more impressions of a point and click? As promised, since I won it here (thanks again!) here are my impressions of The Samaritan Paradox:

Thanks for the writeup, this game wasn't on my radar until the recent bundle, but I managed to win a giveaway copy here last week. Glad to hear it's as fun as it looked to me.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It's unfortunate that the DoW Franchise Pack will never see a bigger discount. It went as low as $9.99 during the THQ days, but now that SEGA owns the rights, price drops like this ain't happening anymore

Haunted

I wish I knew more about psychology to correctly predict which one of three identical keys will be the least one entered in a modbot giveaway.

JaseC

Though I dont really have that much time this month for NeoGAF, since I rather wanna spend my time with my gf.
Driving to Praha/Prague on friday, then munich.

These days I can't read "Prague" without thinking of Hanna, haha.

But one of the developers just gave me a key because I already own the game, so why should I buy it another time?
By the way the fact that Steam doesn't track my progress could be related to the fact that maybe I don't own the full version. :S

There's only one app. In the here and now, you own the game, but from the sounds of things it seems as though the devs may consider the Steam keys given to owners of the non-Steam alpha version a gift, one that will be revoked once the game moves to the beta phase. Best contact the devs and seek clarification.

Jawmuncher

It's unfortunate that the DoW Franchise Pack will never see a bigger discount. It went as low as $9.99 during the THQ days, but now that SEGA owns the rights, price drops like this ain't happening anymore

I was amazed when I saw I had Dawn of War 2 and the expansion from amazon for 5 bucks back in the day . Sure hasn't been that price in ages.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I wish I knew more about psychology to correctly predict which one of three identical keys will be the least one entered in a modbot giveaway.

There's got to be a system. Usually I'd say "oh, well everyone will go for the top one so I'll pick a different one" but then I think "oh wait, what if everyone's saying that?" and second guess myself. It's worse when they're like this:

Game #3
Game #1
Game #2

Oh god, which is the first one? What do I do? I struggle with Modbot game theory often.

But one of the developers just gave me a key because I already own the game, so why should I buy it another time?
By the way the fact that Steam doesn't track my progress could be related to the fact that maybe I don't own the full version. :S

I was sorta kidding.
In your case, I would email the person who sent you the key and ask them if you're affected by the alpha/beta news you just told us about.

hahaha, if it's for mine, I'm sorry I forgot the FREEFORALL tag. :p

I was amazed when I saw I had Dawn of War 2 and the expansion from amazon for 5 bucks back in the day . Sure hasn't been that price in ages.

Sorta like how I thought that LEGO Star Wars/Indiana Jones weren't on Steam because I'd never seen them on sale with the rest of the LEGO games? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom