• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Most of the time I work on a linux laptop, so I guess keep that in mind if I need to know anything about compiling the python or whatever.

[frost@frost ~]$ python --version
Python 2.6.6

So yeah, if you clue me in, I'll see about getting to work. :3

The best Python editor that I used to know is PyCharm. However, I think you can have a lot of fun with IPython, or even Spyder these days. Sublime Text is great to edit code, but it is not an IDE.

Edit: Wow, PyCharm had a free edition nowadays: http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/download/

You guys all need to get Crypt of the Necrodancer! No joke this game is insane fun even thought I can't even get past the 3rd floor right now. Every floor has it's own track, but I haven't tried out the custom track stuff yet. Really like how you have to learn the pattern of the enemy, and that certain enemies like the skeletons have little tells like throwing their arms up into the air. Some monsters that even seem daunting like the Green Dragon aren't too bad once you realize you gotta backstep, attack, backstep attack. Even the items that you get in your runs are binded to the direction keys by having you press 2 directions to be able to use bombs and such. This is such an inventive game and I'm loving it so far. Also that daily, god damn I lasted no more than 5 seconds.

I am very excited by all of the positive impressions, as I had been waiting on this game for some time. I have other things on my plate at the moment, but I'm surprised there isn't more hype for this.

Today in suck palace, I decided to install a bunch of Mac games on my MBA so I'd have something to play on an airplane tomorrow. I used to play Sim City games on airplanes but now those need to be online need Origin. So indie games it is.

Installing Steam: Steam will not install on OSX Yosemite unless you disable basically all your application security settings. If you have higher application security settings but override them to launch Steam, it will give you a message about corrupt data. Yee-haw.

Noir Syndrome: Won't boot, because it requires that Java is installed but doesn't install Java.

Puzzle Agent 2: Won't boot, no error given.

Shelter: Performs terribly, controls terribly on laptop keyboard

Wooden Sen'SeY: Awful 2D platformer, physics feel bad, first level of 9 wasn't interesting at all (finished it in 5 minutes), default key bindings have Q as left and D as right, what the hell.

Woodle Tree Adventures: Awful 3D platformer, you move slow as hell, jumping sucks, collision system sucks, if you hit anything you restart a level (which does nothing because the game doesn't keep track of deaths or respawn enemies or items you've claimed, so you just need to walk through the level again), controls are terrible on a keyboard, and the camera is one of the worst I've ever seen in a 3D platformer. I appear to have finished one of maybe 7 or 8 levels in about 5 minutes. Pity because the bright colourful style and simple texture work actually really appealed to me.

Next batch to try: Finding Teddy, Millie, Where Angels Cry, Year Walk, Deadly 30, Derrick the Deathfin

Do you have some Civ games? Those would be pretty close to Sims in the "fun on an airplane" department, I would think.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Iron Brigade's app just received a nondescript registry update. Could be something (i.e. mobilisation of plans to patch out GFWL), could be nothing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump I think it's about time you started looking at your neglected Desura library.

3SoIbwX.png

number i've played: 0

Fox318

Today in suck palace, I decided to install a bunch of Mac games on my MBA so I'd have something to play on an airplane tomorrow. I used to play Sim City games on airplanes but now those need to be online need Origin. So indie games it is.

Installing Steam: Steam will not install on OSX Yosemite unless you disable basically all your application security settings. If you have higher application security settings but override them to launch Steam, it will give you a message about corrupt data. Yee-haw.

Noir Syndrome: Won't boot, because it requires that Java is installed but doesn't install Java.

Puzzle Agent 2: Won't boot, no error given.

Shelter: Performs terribly, controls terribly on laptop keyboard

Wooden Sen'SeY: Awful 2D platformer, physics feel bad, first level of 9 wasn't interesting at all (finished it in 5 minutes), default key bindings have Q as left and D as right, what the hell.

Woodle Tree Adventures: Awful 3D platformer, you move slow as hell, jumping sucks, collision system sucks, if you hit anything you restart a level (which does nothing because the game doesn't keep track of deaths or respawn enemies or items you've claimed, so you just need to walk through the level again), controls are terrible on a keyboard, and the camera is one of the worst I've ever seen in a 3D platformer. I appear to have finished one of maybe 7 or 8 levels in about 5 minutes. Pity because the bright colourful style and simple texture work actually really appealed to me.

Next batch to try: Finding Teddy, Millie, Where Angels Cry, Year Walk, Deadly 30, Derrick the Deathfin

Have you tried any GOG games?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I read it, it's a bit schizophrenic.
Starts talking about Greenlight needing curation, finishes on a note that Early Access is the only thing wrong with Steam ATM.
Nothing really new in it as well, except for one devs idea to color code EA titles (red for pre-alpha, green for release, colors inbetween for various stages of development).

Of course it blames early access titles. Oh well, I do like Hodgetts' idea though, it might dp a bit to stem the backlash against early access games.

Do you remember any of the mods you were using for Deus Ex?

I really didn't know how to install mods when I played it years ago, so I've only played the vanilla release.

who's Turfster?

What's a Turfster? Is that one of those fancy new lawnmowers whose posts no one ever reads? :p

I read them.

6 hours for all single player missions in MGR:R? What sorcery is this?
It'd probably take about 7-8, as far as I figure, with 8 being more likely (5-6 for main story + 1 hour for each dlc).

Just trying to give a low estimate :p

I'm sure the game could be finished on someone's first playthrough in 6/6 and a half hours if they speed through it and skip cutscenes.
I've actually seen two speedruns of the game, one at just under 1 hour 30 minutes and another one at a little under 57 minutes, both on hard difficulty :p

Dear Gaming Industry,
Enough with the Definitive Edition crap.

I'm fine as long as they add some fixes to the games, maybe add a bit of content. The big thing is being able to play the game on a new platform, which is one reason why the lack of backwards compatibility is good for publishers and developers :p

Okay, folks, up for more impressions of a point and click? As promised, since I won it here (thanks again!) here are my impressions of The Samaritan Paradox:
The verdict: Damn good. A story with brain, heart, and a little something to churn the stomach. Best point and click I've played since Blackwell Deception, and I don't make that comparison lightly. For a studio's first effort, I'm truly excited to see what they've got in store for us next. GET IT. Currently ten bucks on Steam. Worth it at that price? ...Probably! But keep an eye on it for a sale, just in case. :D

I really should get around to playing The Samaritan Paradox. Might have to push it further forward in the backlog thanks to your impressions.

um. Have we talked about this little gem yet?

Humble trying to tap that well dry.

Humble does that frequently after their bundles end. I think it's a little bullshit to double the price like that, but that's just me.

This week's Humble Bundle comic bundle has some good stuff in it, heck all that ish is totally worht $15.
Six-gun gorilla is well regarded over at ComicGAF.

Sort of want to buy it just for Robocop and Bravest Warriors, but I know I'd never read them :/

DO NOT GO INTO THE TERMINATOR THREAD IN OT.

that shit got NSFW real fast.

It must have been deleted by a mod because I see the reaction posts at least. Drats.

authority's ghost

You know what the weird thing is? He made one post after he came back from his ban and then never posted in the Steam thread again. Plus I've seen him post in other threads.

Maybe REmake Remastered turns out successful enough on current gen consoles and PC that they consider remastering RE2. Who knows.

I hope. REmake 2 would make me sort of like Capcpom again.

The majority of stuff I watch on twitch is past broadcasts. I look forward to watching streams with no sound. Yay!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869543#post124263212

Thanks Google. You're truly the best company ever when it comes to videos and streaming.

Yeah, that's not happening. "Gee Oh Gee" will make you sound like an uber-nerd.

"Hey, while you're looking at Gee Oh Gee, why don't you pick up some Dee and Dee games so we can roleplay some R Pee Gees?"

EDIT: I should make it clear that there's nothing wrong with D&D and RPG, as they actually stand for something. GOG is a problem as it's an acronym as a name that doesn't actually stand for anything.

Dr Dogg

Ah, good catch. They weren't there a few weeks ago. Steamworks confirmed.

I seem to recall either yourself, Nabs or Stallion saying that Double Fine intended to remove GFWL around June-ish. I guess what with that July sunset date being postponed until pubs and devs sort things out or what ever nebulous reason Microsoft conjure up about their PC support plans, Double Fine are taking their time. Looking through the list of titles still with GFWL in and on Steam is getting a little shorter but still aways to go. Not to mention the ones that aren't on Steam in the first place.

So I finally tried out Sacred 3 and... yeah. Oof.

The actual gameplay I don't mind so much, but the huge lack of customization and loot make it feel strangely clinical. But worst of all is the tone of the thing... it's just so tonally "off" ; they're going for a tounge-in-cheek "we know this is silly fantasy" tone, but miss the mark in some pretty terrible ways (the villian guy in the first few levels is dangerously near some bad racial stereotypes, and the goofy voices don't help matters at all).

Glad I only paid in Russiabucks for this one.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm going to continue to push for Hitbox as a streaming service for games. I've used several streaming sites testing over the last two years, and my most pleasant experience has been with Hitbox. They've continually updated, responded to the community, stream delay is fantastic and makes conversation an actual liable thing, good recording system, right now at least good community, the only thing it really needs is growth in watchers.

http://www.hitbox.tv/

Sober

they started adding weapons regardless of balance and too fast
the first weapon they ever released was for the stealth class and was basically a free air shot weapon (in a game where air shots are one of the things requiring the most skill), it was completely and utterly OP and was nerfed a couple of days later

they kept doing this bait&switch bullshit until almost every regular left, leaving community servers empty and thus driving more people out, when hi-rez saw what they had done they just dropped support completely and moved on to smite

and it's a fucking shame because when tribes ascend was released up until the first weapon updates the game had a strong community with a regular influx of new players despite being not an accessible game, i had almost had as much fun on ascend than on vanilla TF2 and that's saying a lot
Oh yeah, I remember that. That really sucked, it was pretty much a mix of classic Tribes 1/2 up until they started throwing in way too many weapons, especially since it was such a skill-based game. Conversely I never had too much issue with TF2 adding stuff because it wasn't as intense of a game that really needed it.

Deitus

You guys all need to get Crypt of the Necrodancer! No joke this game is insane fun...

It's been on my list ever since I found out there was a rhythm based rogue-like, and that the game was titled Crypt of the Necrodancer. Of course when I found out the game was actually really good, that made me want it even more.

It's probably the next thing I buy after Shovel Knight, but I'm still stubbornly holding out for a sale on that one
(or for me to finally win it in a giveaway)

So... with the new audio recognition on Twitch, I could get my past broadcasts of stuff like, say, GTA or Watch Dogs muted because they have licensed music. Same with Rockband.

Fucking Hell

aku:jiki

I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like Cook, Serve, Delicious. The campaign moves too slowly and I find the actual cooking to be needlessly complicated. If I were to redesign it, I'd put the customer's order on the same visual height as the ingredients so you don't have to dart your eyes all over your 24" screen in order to understand what you need to do, and I'd make the ingredients icons rather than having it be like "a pizza with tomato sauce, cheese, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, onion and olives." I guess I just want my cooking games to be blazing fast hand-eye coordination games and CSD misses that mark for me.

French, apparently. If I had to guess as to the language Archive.org's crawler tends to stumble upon the most, I'd say Thai.
It's spanish.

Both of you are being so american without actually being american!

Edit: I swear it was spanish for me, archive.org is tripping.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Man, Giant Bomb's Quick Look of Eidolon looks intriguing.

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.

Why not enter my giveaway first? ;)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sub Zero, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Eidolon -- MB-5D5E42BEFFDA1A67 - Taken by Mono. 15 entrants total.
Eidolon #2 -- MB-0B21217F6CB615F5 - Taken by ricochetguro. 6 entrants total.

t1407373005z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
French Porchgeese, apparently. If I had to guess as to the language Archive.org's crawler tends to stumble upon the most, I'd say Thai.

stop butchering the word Portuguese assholes

edit: except Lain

I'm going to continue to push for Hitbox as a streaming service for games. I've used several streaming sites testing over the last two years, and my most pleasant experience has been with Hitbox. They've continually updated, responded to the community, stream delay is fantastic and makes conversation an actual liable thing, good recording system, right now at least good community, the only thing it really needs is growth in watchers.

http://www.hitbox.tv/

I signed up but I'm just getting 401s everywhere. :(

So... with the new audio recognition on Twitch, I could get my past broadcasts of stuff like, say, GTA or Watch Dogs muted because they have licensed music. Same with Rockband.

Fucking Hell

Yup, and it's already happening to a lot of people. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869543

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom