• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
A part of me still wishes Capcom would do what they did with Onimusha to Devil May Cry when it comes to Resident Evil 6, just make a full fledge new IP game that goes full out on the melee attacks the game offered.

They could make it like Manhunt if they wanted to keep in some scares..

I just want a new Onimusha game...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No, Leon's campaign isn't short on ammo once you learn the "cover recovers stamina, stamina is used for melee attacks/dodges. Melee attack/dodge nearly everything." This is one of those "the campaign doesn't explain the mechancis" thing.

But Leon's campaign does have issues in regards to set-piece design. But that's probably the best playing one.

The problem with the campaign is:

-QTE's
-Gunshot enemies staggering you. This isn't like Lost Planet so on higher difficulties you'll be trying to get up and one of the gun enemies (of which there are many) will stagger you/reroll you.
-Set pieces aren't fun
-Chris' campaign is FUCKING TERRIBLE. One of the worst shooter campaigns I've played in years
-Jake isn't really that interesting and a waste of time when they could've focused on Sherry. But
Wesker's Son
had to be tied in since they painted themselves into a wall by killing Mary Sue Antagonist last outing. :/
-Ada's campaign isn't that great, double so if you're an Ada fan.

Yeah, it's about 20 hours or so long. I didn't really time it but it felt like forever because none of it was fun, which is really crazy because it was Capcom... but I guess Capcom doesn't have that spark anymore. :(

Seriously though, dude: I bought the game two times once on PS3 and once on Steam sale. I can't muster the effort to go through the campaign a second time/PC because it's that bad. :/

I'm going to have to disagree with Seks here and say I really liked RE6's campaign overall and thought it was an ambitious mess with a mixture of good and bad. The only part I genuinely hated was Chapter 2 of Jakes campaign - ugh.

Out of all of them I'd probably rank them as Ada - Chris - Jake - Leon. Leons is the worst for me because I felt it dragged on far too long towards the end. Ada and Chris's were the most consistently fun IMO, I enjoyed both of them a lot. I thought Chris campaign was a pretty fun shooter. The worst parts were definitely the vehicle sections and Chapter 2 of Jakes campaign, apart from that I didn't think it was that bad. The QTEs never really bothered me plus there's an option in the menu to make those easier/piece of piss anyway.

The thing that really elevates the PC version for me was having the combat system at 60fps. It plays so fucking well at that framerate and is a joy. That and having the option to basically change the camera so it's not really as zoomed really added to the enjoyment for me after they patched it. Definitely read up on the combat system as well, they teach you absolutely fuck all and the game makes you use it too. Certainly no masterpiece, and it is true that Mercenaries is the most fun thing about, but I do like RE6 quite a bit despite its issues.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A part of me still wishes Capcom would do what they did with Onimusha to Devil May Cry when it comes to Resident Evil 6, just make a full fledge new IP game that goes full out on the melee attacks the game offered.

They could make it like Manhunt if they wanted to keep in some scares..

ah Manhunt... I remember trying it out at a friend's videogame store and being completely BLOWN AWAY at the very start / tutorial when it says on the wall "Kill this dumb fuck"

I couldnt believe a videogame had that. Man I loved that game

Tecl0n

I think the combat mechanics shine in Mercenaries, but it doesn't detract from the campaign. I know I'm in the minority, but the game is fun--different from other RE games? Yeah, but it doesn't help that RE6 doesn't teach you anything in the tutorial. It's a different sort of pacing and tension that requires a mix of shooting and balanced stamina usage with melee. My advice: I think the best way to play the campaign is in chronological order--it's how I did it and I came away satisfied.

Agreed. RE6 has one of the best tps systems in the genre, it's a shame capcom forgot to put explanations for most of the moves and the game is filled with terrible design choices.

I just want a new Onimusha game...

Your heart is pure.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hi everyone!

I was asked to post in here by Milamber, so I thought I'd quickly poke my head in.

Milamber asked if, with Comiket 86 around the corner, whether or not we were going to spread more awareness about Playism and Steam to developers that largely only sell at these events.

The answer is: absolutely. We always have at least 2 staffers from Playism going to Comiket every year, and we try our best to introduce both Steam and Playism as viable platforms for their games, especially in the west.

As many of you might not be aware, Steam is not a force in japan right now, and many developers never release their games digitally at all. We already have quite a few titles on Steam, and we're going to be adding even more soon. We also have all these titles on Playism, for those who want the DRM-free option.

Playism is pretty popular with PC gamers in japan right now, and we have quite a few users on the western side that like the option of both Steam and Playism for their doujin games. We know everyone in this thread wants to play their games on Steam, and we hear you. We're going to be adding to our Steam catalogue throughout the year, and we have a bunch of great titles that really have no peer on the platform.

This all sounds like marketing speak, but I thought I'd just say: yes! We want doujin developers to get more exposure in the West. That is our job after all. :)

EmpReb

Banned
I kind of need some help in why when I have sli on Firefall I lose about 30 fps and go from 90 to like high 50fps!? I am SLI with two stock GTX 760s

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hi everyone!

I was asked to post in here by Milamber, so I thought I'd quickly poke my head in.

Milamber asked if, with Comiket 86 around the corner, whether or not we were going to spread more awareness about Playism and Steam to developers that largely only sell at these events.

The answer is: absolutely. We always have at least 2 staffers from Playism going to Comiket every year, and we try our best to introduce both Steam and Playism as viable platforms for their games, especially in the west.

As many of you might not be aware, Steam is not a force in japan right now, and many developers never release their games digitally at all. We already have quite a few titles on Steam, and we're going to be adding even more soon. We also have all these titles on Playism, for those who want the DRM-free option.

Playism is pretty popular with PC gamers in japan right now, and we have quite a few users on the western side that like the option of both Steam and Playism for their doujin games. We know everyone in this thread wants to play their games on Steam, and we hear you. We're going to be adding to our Steam catalogue throughout the year, and we have a bunch of great titles that really have no peer on the platform.

This all sounds like marketing speak, but I thought I'd just say: yes! We want doujin developers to get more exposure in the West. That is our job after all. :)

Brilliant news, the more games the better :) Especially from japanese devs.

MayMay

Banned
In case anyone here missed it, Valve finally decided to give Hammer a big overhaul for the Dota 2 Modkit release, and it's looking good <33

MrKdEQ0.png

Got new features and file formats too

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yaiiiiba... why won't this stupid 5000 kill achievement unlock?!

On PS3 some found they had to uninstall the game, reinstall it and start a brand new game before the game would start counting how many kills they did.

Onimusha 2 still the best. I wish these games were on PC (Are any on PC?)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6570/

Not worth it, terrible port.

Hi everyone!

Good to have you visit by. I have no problem with Playism and found it quite nice as a service, but aye, I have to admit it would be nice to have the games on Steam as well so thank you for that.

Best of luck.

Enjoying Eidolon, although I definitely need a break. Great atmosphere that is reinforced with some of the best music and environmental cues I've heard for a while in a game. Interested to piece the story together as right now it seems incredibly scattershot, where in one area you're investigating a religious retreat and suddenly you're in a city apparently destroyed by some kind of immorality granting alter. You find out that the religious retreat was started to get away from what they deemed a corruptive influence, so hopefully other things start coming together.

Game is definitely a bit boring in moments where you go too far between the orbs you find that reveal more about the world. You look for a bird in the sky to guide you from orb to orb, coming to new locations every now and again. Certainly a lot of visual variety, but it's a bit confusing you place yourself as the maps give very little detail and you have to use a compass to keep track of your direction. The "actual" gameplay also seems a bit pointless, you find a bow that lets you hunt animals and find various berries to keep yourself from starving but in the three hours I played it was such a complete non-factor that the game almost seems like it would be better without it. Still haven't seen a game that handles survival elements as well as Ice-Pick Lodge.

Orbs do seem a bit contrived though, they contain everything from letters, photos, emails, and even the maps with no variation in appearance. You read the emails on some kind of futuristic tablet you have on your person, so I'm interested to see how that system works as it mentions beacons(you hear a lot about these in the world building elements) and how some functions don't work given your distance away. Not sure if you are supposed to find them, or if they are all gone as some cities were said to fall because of malfunctions so I'm not sure if that's actually a system or not.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hi everyone!

That's great news :D

Hopefully it brings more doujin games to Steam, thanks for your efforts!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hi everyone!

Glad to hear you guys will be representing at Comiket. Love what you guys do <3

Hi everyone!

Good to hear! Hope to see more games coming to Steam. :)

Also, Indie Royale bonus is Black Shadows. I remember it being discussed here before.

MayMay

Banned
About to start playing TitS for the first time. Am I better off using a gamepad, or are the keyboard controls fine?

The other frustrating thing about Eidolon is it has pretty constant hitching that drags the framerate down to a standstill for a second or two. Imagine it's because the game is open world and using Unreal Engine 3 which seems to have a lot of issues with such things. Worse in some areas than others, definitely took me out of the game a few times.

Does anyone have an issue with steam where after uploading a screenshot the upload progress popup becomes "glued" to the desktop and won't close? Doesn't seem to affect performance but it's kind of ugly and annoying.

Mono

Does anyone have an issue with steam where after uploading a screenshot the upload progress popup becomes "glued" to the desktop and won't close? Doesn't seem to affect performance but it's kind of ugly and annoying.

Nope, but similar windows from the Steam client do the same thing for me! Mainly the "uninstalling game" one.

Milamber

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the update. Will be keeping a close eye on your blog and various others for Steam news and new doujins too.

I hope Raita comes back.

Jawmuncher

Great news all around

Playism grabbing more doujin games
I successfully was able to move those HDD files.
And Maneill won his CSGO match.

Now I can go back to bed.

KingDirk

Okay guys, so I'm afraid I may have made a huge boner. I bought Shovel Knight intending to give it away but I don't know how to turn it into a code I can trade here. I'm new to all of this and really do want to share this experience and say thanks for the free games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Good to have you visit by. I have no problem with Playism and found it quite nice as a service, but aye, I have to admit it would be nice to have the games on Steam as well so thank you for that.

Best of luck.

We'll continue to offer free Stream keys for all games on Playism available on Steam, so no matter where you buy it, you'll always have Steam as an option.

Not a bad deal if you ask me. :)

In case anyone here missed it, Valve finally decided to give Hammer a big overhaul for the Dota 2 Modkit release, and it's looking good <33

Got new features and file formats too

That old UI was such a classic that it's kind of sad to see it go.

Although the new one is pretty sexy.

Jawmuncher

Okay guys, so I'm afraid I may have made a huge boner. I bought Shovel Knight intending to give it away but I don't know how to turn it into a code I can trade here. I'm new to all of this and really do want to share this experience and say thanks for the free games.

Email it to yourself and copy the URL that goes to the game. Or go lazy and have the person add you on steam and gift it to them. They get added to your friend list anyway.

Jawmuncher

So this precludes ModBot, I suppose?

WinterDemons has the link for you.
But yes you can put the key as anything if need be. So long as you don't break the line.
Which is handy if you want to give a game away that isn't out yet or something .

Edit: Oh my bad you didn't even know how to set up mod bot. Glad that is sorted out. I really do need to go back to sleep.

Mokoi

Banned
We'll continue to offer free Stream keys for all games on Playism available on Steam, so no matter where you buy it, you'll always have Steam as an option.

Not a bad deal if you ask me. :)

It took me way to long, and made me feel stupid once I figured out how to get the steam key for Astebreed. I didn't know that the serial code was the steam key until I figured what the hell might as well try it. The help section on the site didn't offer any clarification on how to claim your key.

KingDirk

Fingers crossed that this works!

ModBot said:
Instructions for KingDirk:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KingDirk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shovel Knight -- MB-976EFD778A7C5284 - Taken by dxhc99. 170 entrants total.

t1407477466z1.png

So hey I forgot to have the autorepost. I'll try to keep posting it over tomorrow, but if anybody wants to put it on new pages I'd be very indebted. Live and learn and all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
edit: oops this would be the wrong thread lol. That might sound wrong if you dont know what the G1 Climax is hahahaha

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yesterday I bought Over 9000 Zombies! at 33% off only to receive two -50% coupons from the devs today. Just my luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom