• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I have no hype for source 2 whatsoever.
Only think that would interest me would be a overhaul to TF2 graphic. Even better cartoonesque graphics would be something to see.

Knurek

while im not the biggest vanillaware fan, the 3 hours or so that i've put into Dragon's Crown really make me wish there was a steam version. I mean, it's a freaking beat em up dungeon crawler, it was like made to be run at 1080p and with steamworks and some cards that actually make me money.

Well, Sacred 3 exists, doesn't it?
Seems like exactly the same type of game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, I'm five missions in, and that it appears to be how it works. Which is not good.

I kind of disagree. It adds an element of risk to the game which I enjoy - rescuing a bro gives me an extra life, but it means losing my current bro. Will I get a better one? A worse one? If I'm enjoying my current bro do I want to stick with them and miss out on the extra life? Similarly, I may have run out of special attacks, getting a new bro will refill them, but again you're spinning the wheel on the bro you get. With the levels being relatively short I don't mind the randomness of swapping characters all the time, especially as you can beat the levels with anyone, as has been said.

Terra_Ex

Since it's going to disappear in a few hours, is The Last Federation worth paying the top tier price for in the current humble bundle. Seems to be between genres and none of the articles/videos I've looked at have done a great job of explaining what exactly its about.

Milamber

Did you just compare Dragon's Crown to Sacred 3?

EPYxue9.gif

wagamer

New item in my inventory? Booster pack, fuck y....oh...66% off Chaos on Deponia. If anyone wants to buy said game for $6.80US, let me know.

I just got that same coupon... and also -60% on Broken Sword 5, which would be great if I didn't have it on GOG already. Do coupons come up randomly aswell?

haven't followed that, let me see....

well, i guess i should've described Dragon's Crown better. It's a 2d, gorgeously detailed beat em up dungeon crawler that looks more final fight than diablo and plays kinda like a mix of both.

again, just give me them sweet anime cards and higher res and i'll buy it from russia, day one.

rtcn63

I played a few hours of Dragon's Crown, and it was really dull. I find Vanillaware's stuff in general to be overrated.

Jawmuncher

haven't followed that, let me see....

well, i guess i should've described Dragon's Crown better. It's a 2d, gorgeously detailed beat em up dungeon crawler that looks more final fight than diablo and plays kinda like a mix of both.

again, just give me them sweet anime cards and higher res and i'll buy it from russia, day one.

Its sad this is the closest we will get for awhile
header.jpg

Its decent but no DC.

I played a few hours of Dragon's Crown, and it was really dull. I find Vanillaware's stuff in general to be overrated.

This was my exact reaction to it. I wanted to like it, because I love Streets of Rage, Final Fight, those arcade D&D games, et al. I also love RPG mechanics in games, even when they're totally shoehorned in.

I just couldn't find myself caring enough to push through. Apparently, the game gets much better on a 2nd playthrough, as it opens up online play. I don't know.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This was my exact reaction to it. I wanted to like it, because I love Streets of Rage, Final Fight, those arcade D&D games, et al. I also love RPG mechanics in games, even when they're totally shoehorned in.

I just couldn't find myself caring enough to push through. Apparently, the game gets much better on a 2nd playthrough, as it opens up online play. I don't know.

The "2nd playthrough" isn't even a second playthrough. It's like...the halfway point of the first playthrough.

I've put 50+ hours into Dragon's Crown and never once touched online (or multiplayer of any sort).

Vuze

Thanks Jase, claimed Realms of the Haunting.

I also just gave Expandabros a shot and didn't like it either... but I wasn't interested in Broforce in the first place so atleast I've confirmed I'm not missing out on anything :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
God TellTale right is beyond frustrating.

Wolf Among Us S01E05 (SEASON FINALE) Spoilers:

So I pursue Georgie and I keep saying shit like you are still responsible for pulling the trigger etc since well you can't just murder people and get off scott free because you were told to murder and Georgie keeps responding like I'm pinning the whole thing on him and letting the Crooked Man go despite that not being the case with the whole prior conversation when I told them I was taking BOTH of them in because that's what a normal fucking cop would do.

I'm having flashbacks to that hollow as shit Walking Dead S01 ending that didn't reflect shit I did in the whole game and still painted me as some dick.

rtcn63

Does that include Odin Sphere and Muramasa? I was looking to find copies of those games.

Yes. They're both OK games, particularly if you like the artstyle and don't mind repeated playthroughs. But don't expect something highly polished and overtly compelling. Odin Sphere suffers from horrible slowdown, IIRC.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Got through the campaign in Sonic Transformed and it unlocks expert difficulty at the end and you have to play all the way through again to 100 percent it. That's kind of a let down. Would have preferred to tackle the hardest difficulty from the beginning.

Which is why I stopped playing Sonic Transformed. Game is great, but I just couldn't do it all over again, with the rubber banding AI. I'm just not that good.

Grief.exe

Yes. They're both OK games, particularly if you like the artstyle and don't mind repeated playthroughs. But don't expect something highly polished and overtly compelling. Odin Sphere suffers from horrible slowdown, IIRC.

I would imagine the performance issues would be alleviated by PCSX2, but I haven't looked into it.

kudoboi

Finally we won't all suck ass at CS if we play this for game night.

my friends constantly ask me to play this but i usually just give the reason that i don't want to download another client. now i will have no reason to give to avoid this -.-

they are already constantly bugging me to play fifa online 3 which is some horrible pay2win version of fifa that is popular here

Does that include Odin Sphere and Muramasa? I was looking to find copies of those games.

I tried muramasa, and that game just feels like Recycled Assets: the Grind: the Game. It's a 2d action platformer with half-assed rpg mechanics and A LOT of repetition.

In dragon's crown, the repetition actually makes sense because the RPG stuff is much better fleshed out and it's a dungeon crawler, grinding dungeons for better and better loot is a better fit given the nature of the game and doesn't feel like padding (like it does in muramasa). Plus, it has coop from the getgo and online coop about halfway through the game, making it just a better experience overall.

Dr Dogg

I found Odin Sphere beyond tedious at times and only finished 3 of the 7 campaigns. There's a certain knack to the combat that just didn't click with me. Muramasa though I liked and is much more my thing as it felt like a traditional sidescroller (although it's a bit connected world like) and the combination of different swords and massive bosses as well as some interesting gameplay gimmicks made playing through both Momohime and Kisuke stories worth while. Though I much prefer it on Vita than on Wii but haven't dumped the disc yet and tried on Dolphin so that might change.

I wish GrimGrimoire came out over here as that looks like my cup of tea and it was a shame Grand Knights history didn't get brought over to the West (XSEED had done the translation or almost had but Vanillaware or whoever their contact was couldn't spare the developers to do the work to get it into English so it was never to be).

JakeD

just wanted to give a public shoutout to corrosivefrost for his awesome killer is dead giveaway! i won overnight and woke up to that very great surprise. thanks again!

H1PSTER

Because I love you guys.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (H1PSTER, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher: Adventure Game (GOG) -- MB-E9CD86CAC990C8FF - Taken by Mono. 14 entrants total.

t1407432707z1.png

Muramasa looks gorgeous with its medieval Japanese setting - pagodas, blossming peach trees - , but aside from boss-battles is quite boring, there's a lot of swords to unlock/craft though, each one has special moves to try out.

A decent game but I think that other similar games such as "Guacamelee" and "Dust: an Elysean tale" are much better overall.

BruteUA

For everyone that's not getting into Broforce, try playing it in character. Pretend you are an 80's action hero and flex after clearing an area, drop corny one-liner threats at your enemies, and yell out your own bro-isms. If that doesn't make it better, then yeah, probably not your thing.

And we can't be friends anymore.

iosefe

For everyone that's not getting into Broforce, try playing it in character. Pretend you are an 80's action hero and flex after clearing an area, drop corny one-liner threats at your enemies, and yell out your own bro-isms. If that doesn't make it better, then yeah, probably not your thing.

And we can't be friends anymore.

or play the Expendabros and mimic the "Yeah!"

rtcn63

In my defense, I was never a fan of the Expendables films. I grew up with those action stars, but the first film just seemed too self-aware and self-indulgent, but not in a way that translated to being fun for the viewer. The Losers and the A-Team remake, I found more enjoyable.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
In my defense, I was never a fan of the Expendables films. I grew up with those action stars, but the first film just seemed too self-aware and self-indulgent, but not in a way that translated to being fun for the viewer. The Losers and the A-Team remake, I found more enjoyable.
Yeah, those are both great films, quite underrated I thought.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So, I've just completed, for the second time, Walking Dead Season 2.
I've played this from a friend on PS3, so this time I did all opposite choices, leaving Clementine silent in pretty much the whole game.
And...I'm disappointed.
This is the first time I re-play a Telltale game, so I think that, by doing different choices, something change. Just no.

I think there's really only a choice you can do that basically changes the fact a character is alive or not, in episode 4, but I really don't want to save that character because I ate it XD

ALL the other choices are totally pointless. You can be rude, you can be silent, you can be helpful, but nothing will change.

Also I noticed that generally if is supposed for a character to die, he will die (in that chapter or the following one). The story is pretty much the same.

And I'm asking...if you import a savegame from Season 1, what will change? Only pointless dialogue lines, I presume, because until now there's nothing different from my play of Season 1, and Season 2 didn't import any savegame.
I haven't noticed anything obvious from the save import I did. It's probably as meaningless as the choices in the game. That's why it's best just to play as the meanest asshole you can be.

Sendou

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine dev announced their next game is called LEADtoFire "Arcade-Style RTS". Behind link their blog post with some logo rambling.

In LEADtoFIRE the player controls a Champion who can build structures, lead forces into battle, scout, & fight for herself. Your troops are autonomous but governed by AI that is determined by the unit class. Some troops will be defenders, hanging out near their spawn point, others harvest resourcesand some will seeking out the nearest enemy as attackers. Most troops will also follow the Champion into battle, allowing you to have a large force of mixed units.

tumblr_inline_n9wv9ujaae1sqmptm.png

tumblr_inline_n9lnldDTyL1sqmptm.jpg

Didn't see a mention of platforms.

God TellTale right is beyond frustrating.

Similar shit happened with me. There's a choice you make in episode 3 or 4 where
you have to decide whether to send Toad and his son to the farm, and you have to make the same decision for Colin the pig in your apartment. Neither of them wanted to go there and in my game I made choices to ensure both wouldn't have to. Then in episode 5 it turns out that Snow decided to send Toad to the farm anyway while Colin doesn't have to. Then you have a conversation with Toad where he tries to guilt trip you by saying that you don't keep your word and that you play favorites for your friends.
Basically the game overrides a choice I made and then tries to make me feel bad about it. Fuck that noise. I'm baffled that people still say Telltale writes good stories in their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom