• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
The patch doesn't address that the level design and game mechanics are a poor imitation of Deus Ex, which is more important but less visible than the silly glitches in those videos and gifs.

Obviously, I was not a fan at all (got it through trading) but hey, at least they remembered I suppose. I wonder if Episode 2, if it happens, will be just as watered-down. It was made for mobile after all, so they really were mainly after the money.

I am just praying that Square Enix/Eidos don't mess up the real next Deus Ex. Bring back skills and lockpicking.

There's some inconsistency with the icons.
wLyDWI5.png

I imagine there will be some revisions soon. Hope Valve reads Gaf and takes some notes for improvements.

Just right click > properties > change icon, then apply and new one will show up.

EDIT: meant right click not left.

1. Improve browser / client backend
2. Launch Source 2 with DOTA2
3. Update UI (mainly the process icon)
4. Launch Orange Box 2 on sunday

All according to keikaku

jblank83

I wonder if Episode 2, if it happens, will be just as watered-down. It was made for mobile after all, so they really were mainly after the money

There were very brief moments in the middle of the biggest levels where it almost almost felt like a real Deus Ex, but even in those brief moments the engine still plays so clunky that it doesn't really matter. The fact that the story and characters are awful, it lacks meaningful boss fights, and the world design is so thin begs the question why you wouldn't just play a real Deus Ex instead. The Fall just doesn't have anything worth experiencing, even for hardcore Deus Ex fans, not gameplay and not story.

So I have no faith that a continuation would achieve anything. The engine and the hardware are too limited. My guess is that it would end up being another frankensteinian bullet point monster: sneaking, praxis points, glowing lights, it's Deus Ex (sort of but not really kind of)!

thank you, sir

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

morning guys, did I miss anything?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (NingenJanai, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Way Heroics -- MB-F7BD7C6DD7BC398B - Taken by PunishedSnake. 3 entrants total.

t1407472549z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jesus, I wanted to see why you thought otherwise but ok then.

oh. well, ok, you just said "what? no it wasnt" but here it is:

Dow2 did the squad combat perfectly in my opinion, you care about each of the members of your squad, the character progression was great, each unit felt great to use, I liked the rpg elements like leveling and loot, it had more emphasis on story, the expansion was amazing... its just one of my favorite games ever. Im talking solely about Dawn of War 2 and the stand alone expansion...err...Chaos something, not the latest one which barely had any story.

I also only played Dawn of War 1 and one of the expansions, the one where you play mostly as humans, I started to play the second one but it had a weird risk-style system and I didnt like that. Also, I was a bit tired of normal RTSs by then, and DoW2 was a breath of fresh air

And now I want to play Dawn of War again, any Dawn of War really, I love that universe... maybe I should give those Risk-style expansions another try

edit: also its so weird to even compared them, they are such different games

Does VALVe have a booth/conference/something at Gamescom this year? Because with the Source 2 stuff, overhauling Steam, there has to be SOMETHING big coming, right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does VALVe have a booth/conference/something at Gamescom this year? Because with the Source 2 stuff, overhauling Steam, there has to be SOMETHING big coming, right?

no. no to both questions in fact

Sharkiller

I think I hate almost everything about this Steam skin upgrade.

We are two. But I think I'm the only one in the internet that REALLY hate metro styles. As web designer all this blocky, no shadow, no borders, no radius, no gradients, super big buttons, make me really grind my gears.
But all love the metro style and make me more angry.

cries in the bed

they only have a stand for their controller

The Cowboy

Is there a way to change the icons back manually? (i know i can't opt out of the beta, but just curious), i really don't like the new circle task bar icon, its colour or the small version.

pE9D9TO.png

Edit.
Never mind, managed to fix it back to the nice square one using the old uninstall icon file.

Ozium

LA Cops is an Early Access game with a heavy emphasis on early. Currently it is pre-alpha and has only one playable level (out of eight) that is broken down into four sub-levels. The game plays like a slower paced Hotline Miami. You control two characters at once and when you switch between them, the one you aren't controlling goes into what is basically overwatch mode from X-Com, firing on targets that enter their field of vision.

The art style is cool, and most of the environment is destructible, but aside from having to destroy some servers on one of the sub-levels, I didn't see much use for it other than it looking cool. The game has this embarassingly low res pictures at times that really clash with the smooth look of the isometric world in which you play.

The controls are fine but using Q and E to rotate the camera takes some getting used to, but you eventually get the hang of it. I haven't tried a controller. In the little I played I enjoyed it but it was irritating how I would have no idea where the enemies are located.. there's no look ahead feature like in hotline miami, and the perspective means that some enemies are hard to see.

Overall it's pretty fun and the gameplay is there but needs some tweaking, it's a shame there's only one level as of this point though... once again putting the Early in Early Access...

Yes, you look whiny because you're going on and on about it when it's a pretty trivial problem. And "what you paid for" was release on the 8th, so anything before that is a bonus. And yes, it does matter that you got it for free, because undoubtedly all those freebies increased the volume of games GMG had to deal with, and you said yourself you wouldn't have bought it from there otherwise. And yes, you were a fool to give away a copy before activating one yourself. It honestly seems like you're much more upset because you gave it away than because GMG delayed your release. You made the choice to be generous, good for you. No one forced you to do it and if giving it away wasn't reward enough for you, you shouldn't be giving things away.

There is no "bonus". Release date was moved up. This is not an instance where a street date was broken and a lucky few customers managed to get their local shops to sell it to them before it actually released. The game was released at 6pm PDT. PERIOD. So every single person who was "whiny" about GMG not delivering their "PRE-ORDER" has a legimate complaint.

Payment method, again, does not matter. Whether I paid for it with a gift card, with playfire credit, with my credit card, mailed them a check, shipped them a money order, or got a wheelbarrow full of gold and walked it down to their office. They were compensated the exact amount required for my purchase, as was everyone else who paid in advance. $12 with voucher, $15 in playfire money, whatever. They have not run out of keys for preorders, they were merely "caught sleeping" when the release moved up and didn't get out in front of it. As a result, a lot of consumers are now angry, as they have every right to be.

And while I might be a fool for being generous and trying to contribute to GAF, whether it be in knowledge or giveaways or just general discussion... I am certainly anything but a fool for taking the extra copy I came to possess and giving it to a huge USF4 fanatic who is recovering from surgery without hesitation because I fully expected a large digital storefront such as GMG to deliver my pre-order prior to the game releasing.

As for what upsets me? I know damn well it's a #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEM but what pisses me off here is based, again, on the principle of it all -- something you don't seem to grasp based on your earlier responses. In the real world, a business is supposed to earn customer loyalty and trust through consistent performance and providin value. GMG didn't deliver that tonight and from what I'm seeing here, they're the only major digital retailer to offer a pre-order of USF4 (which they've had plastered all over their main storefront as well) to not deliver tonight. So as far as I'm concerned every single customer who is outraged and looking to vent on a public forum about their displeasure with a company failing to meet the quality standard expected from a trusted retailer in this day and age is perfectly justified to do so.

I've said my piece. Whether you agree with it or not, I'm done with this.

Ban Puncher

I forgot to preorder the USFIV upgrade last night and it came out early. Do I still get the pre-order costumes if I just normally buy it on Steam now?

maneil99

There is no "bonus". Release date was moved up. This is not an instance where a street date was broken and a lucky few customers managed to get their local shops to sell it to them before it actually released. The game was released at 6pm PDT. PERIOD. So every single person who was "whiny" about GMG not delivering their "PRE-ORDER" has a legimate complaint.

Payment method, again, does not matter. Whether I paid for it with a gift card, with playfire credit, with my credit card, mailed them a check, shipped them a money order, or got a wheelbarrow full of gold and walked it down to their office. They were compensated the exact amount required for my purchase, as was everyone else who paid in advance. $12 with voucher, $15 in playfire money, whatever. They have not run out of keys for preorders, they were merely "caught sleeping" when the release moved up and didn't get out in front of it. As a result, a lot of consumers are now angry, as they have every right to be.

And while I might be a fool for being generous and trying to contribute to GAF, whether it be in knowledge or giveaways or just general discussion... I am certainly anything but a fool for taking the extra copy I came to possess and giving it to a huge USF4 fanatic who is recovering from surgery without hesitation because I fully expected a large digital storefront such as GMG to deliver my pre-order prior to the game releasing.

As for what upsets me? I know damn well it's a #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEM but what pisses me off here is based, again, on the principle of it all -- something you don't seem to grasp based on your earlier responses. In the real world, a business is supposed to earn customer loyalty and trust through consistent performance and providin value. GMG didn't deliver that tonight and from what I'm seeing here, they're the only major digital retailer to offer a pre-order of USF4 (which they've had plastered all over their main storefront as well) to not deliver tonight. So as far as I'm concerned every single customer who is outraged and looking to vent on a public forum about their displeasure with a company failing to meet the quality standard expected from a trusted retailer in this day and age is perfectly justified to do so.

I've said my piece. Whether you agree with it or not, I'm done with this.
Really, you can't see why GMG wouldn't have enough keys if the release date was suddenly moved up?

We are two. But I think I'm the only one in the internet that REALLY hate metro styles. As web designer all this blocky, no shadow, no borders, no radius, no gradients, super big buttons, make me really grind my gears.
But all love the metro style and make me more angry.

cries in the bed

they only have a stand for their controller
where did you hear about the controller on stand?

The Cowboy

I would be upset if my key didn't show up on the day of release and I know all of you would be too

I would agree, but the day and time of release is actually (well supposed to be) in 12 hours from now (if your on about Ultra SSFAE), the game released around 18 hours early.

Dambrosi

Banned
Err...so I saw on a previous page that SSFIV got cards. Thinking to idle for them, I searched for the game in Steam to install it (yes, I know I don't need to), and nothing came up when I typed "super street". So I just typed "street", and an entry for Ultra Street Fighter IV came up.

I haven't bought Ultra, either the game or the upgrade. I double-checked my transaction history to make double sure. I can't find any news of a free weekend or game trial or anything.

So what's going on? Did I get the new update for free, or is it just a Steam error? I guess I'll find out when it downloads. Here's hoping I lucked out!

What da hell steam?

aZRrld2.png

mvkUGV1.png

Does anyone know something about this?

That's a known feature/bug. When you list an emoticon on the marketplace you can still use it for a couple of hours.

Err...so I saw on a previous page that SSFIV got cards. Thinking to idle for them, I searched for the game in Steam to install it (yes, I know I don't need to), and nothing came up when I typed "super street". So I just typed "street", and an entry for Ultra Street Fighter IV came up.

I haven't bought Ultra, either the game or the upgrade. I double-checked my transaction history to make double sure. I can't find any news of a free weekend or game trial or anything.

So what's going on? Did I get the new update for free, or is it just a Steam error? I guess I'll find out when it downloads. Here's hoping I lucked out!
They just renamed AE
http://steamdb.info/app/45760/history/
* Changed name Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition › Ultra Street Fighter IV
about an hour ago
* Changed store name Super Street Fighter® IV Arcade Edition › Ultra Street Fighter® IV

I forgot to preorder the USFIV upgrade last night and it came out early. Do I still get the pre-order costumes if I just normally buy it on Steam now?

if you're worried about that have a look on dispenser.tf I assume that those would be the preorder versions if they are gifts that have been there for a while.

Corsick

So after coming home my steam is constantly frozen and not responding due to the update. What can I do when I can't even change settings with it being unresponsive?

Razorskin

----- ------
Is Unturned any good? I saw it was high in the player count statistics and now I'm curious.

Will probably give it a shot since it's F2P.

AsylumX

So after coming home my steam is constantly frozen and not responding due to the update. What can I do when I can't even change settings with it being unresponsive?

The problem is a bug in the download tab. You need to go there, pause and cancel the download. The problem with doing this is that you have to do it every time you boot the steam client. You can also opt out of the beta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom