• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ignite -- MB-B5A204B955743E4C - Taken by cashman. 1 entrants total.
No Time To Explain -- MB-1B1E3384B49529B4 - Taken by Lomax. 3 entrants total.
Deponia -- MB-FB5AFFF3687006D5 - Taken by DontBlink. 11 entrants total.
The 39 Steps -- MB-662ACBBC6A8307E9 - Taken by timetokill. 3 entrants total.
Skyward Collapse Complete -- MB-AC96D487793A6DD8 - Taken by drakaenae. 3 entrants total.
Two Worlds II -- MB-8AC541DF09AE878C - Taken by NamikazeBurst. 4 entrants total.
BALLPOINT UNIVERSE INFINITE -- MB-19CD811248B402A7 - Taken by $h@d0w. 1 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-B2B8A5B019892FF0 - Taken by Jadax. 5 entrants total.
Q.U.B.E. Directors Cut -- MB-57F20E2D47477E5E - Taken by Deadbeat. 5 entrants total.
Beatblasters 3 -- MB-5567305F3666071F - Taken by danhese007. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: You did not include a valid thread URL. To use the THREAD rule you must include a valid thread URL including ?t= in the thread URL. Resubmit this giveaway if you want to correct this.

t1407555713z1.png

saunderez

Bah pipped to the Speedrunners match.....had the invite and everything. Hopefully whoever took my spot put up a fight. I played some higher level randoms instead and got my ass kicked. It was a bit demoralising because my friends have difficulty beating me but I'm now aware how much I actually suck.

iosefe

Bah pipped to the Speedrunners match.....had the invite and everything. Hopefully whoever took my spot put up a fight. I played some higher level randoms instead and got my ass kicked. It was a bit demoralising because my friends have difficulty beating me but I'm now aware how much I actually suck.
He's been having connection issues actually

I've seen some streamers suggest that they might move across to http://gaminglive.tv, but it looks to be in its relative infancy when compared to Hitbox.
Now this looks interesting. Very easy and clean interface. And the current stream you're watching gets small and shoved to the left side when you browse other stream. Very clever.
But you are right, they are very new many features are still offline. From the streams I watched it also seems that 60fps is not there. I'll keep an eye out, could become a formidable competition in the future. For now I'll try out Hitbox I guess.
Thanks for pointing out.
----
Holy smokes, thezez! The frigging Walking Dead?! You are crazy! Thanks man. So, so much. As huge Left4Dead fan, I am so curious to see a Zombie game with a different playstyle. Wow, unbelievable.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
EA seems to be pushing the "free games" angle pretty hard lately. Optimistically you'd say that it's probably EA's last-ditch attempt to boost Origin's active userbase before begrudgingly returning to Steam with Uplayesque Origin integration in tow.

oh god ... what I would give for that to happen!!!!! O_O

maneil99

EA seems to be pushing the "free games" angle pretty hard lately. Optimistically you'd say that it's probably EA's last-ditch attempt to boost Origin's active userbase before begrudgingly returning to Steam with Uplayesque Origin integration in tow.

Doubt it, the origin hate is dying down and I doubt the amount of people not buying the game due to origin would make it worth losing 100% of the revenue.

Jawmuncher

Got a test match for Red Faction Guerilla with Maneil.
Thankfully I can join a game just fine but oddly about half way through my game got choppy and then I lost sound. Was probably due to not have the game graphics set right and vsync disabled. Hopefully that doesn't happen next time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doubt it, the origin hate is dying down and I doubt the amount of people not buying the game due to origin would make it worth losing 100% of the revenue.

I can't tell if you're trying to describe what you think is happening or if this is, like, your fantasy

Pakkidis

Question

I'm using Steam Air at the moment, if their is a new client update, do I have to switch to the default to get it? Will the new update mess up my current skin?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Question

I'm using Steam Air at the moment, if their is a new client update, do I have to switch to the default to get it? Will the new update mess up my current skin?

Updates can and often do mess up skins, though most skin creators are very quick on fixing any issues that come up. You will always boot up into your skin of choice, regardless of any client updates.

lashman

I see some members streaming here fairly regularly. Want to try out with Hitbox, since Twitch has now VOD stuff going on. Guess besides Hitbox there's not much alternatives?

nothing worth mentioning at least ... but hitbox is pretty cool :)

maneil99

I can't tell if you're trying to describe what you think is happening or if this is, like, your fantasy

I don't see nearly as much origin hate as I did before and with Steam's client being shit (till this update) I don't think as many people are using origin as an excuse to not buy BF4 as they did BF3. People are still buying games off Uplay after all and with games like Battlefront, Mirrors Edge and future Star Wars titles I doubt they would see a 30% increase by going back to steam, not to mention Origin is woven into there console titles to a degree too now.

I don't see nearly as much origin hate as I did before and with Steam's client being shit (till this update) I don't think as many people are using origin as an excuse to not buy BF4 as they did BF3. People are still buying games off Uplay after all and with games like Battlefront, Mirrors Edge and future Star Wars titles I doubt they would see a 30% increase by going back to steam, not to mention Origin is woven into there console titles to a degree too now.
I still dislike it, but only because I like having all my stuff in one place. But I use it for Sims, Titanfall, and Battlefield and don't mind it. The client is a helluva lot better than Steam's as far as snappiness goes.

UncleO

Finally gave Speed Runners a play, man that game is alot of fun. Its goingot be great when i play with friends while drinking.

Updates can and often do mess up skins, though most skin creators are very quick on fixing any issues that come up. You will always boot up into your skin of choice, regardless of any client updates.

It's funny since Air is already mildly borked with the new Steam update. The hidden games menu item in the drop-down menu is missing. But I guess that's ok since they're hidden for a reason.

Speevy

Banned
Flip

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tabletop Simulator -- MB-88BFD50EFEAD1FD3 - Taken by ramoisdead. 35 entrants total.

t1407560453z1.png

My Street Fighter 4 became automatically Ultra Street Fighter by today's update, and I didn't even buy Ultra update, how is that even possible?

Jawmuncher

header_292x136.jpg

My impressions for Killer is Dead.

Killer is Dead right off the bat is going to be a game you either love or hate. But that's been the style of Suda ever since he started. He's always been over the top and whatever other tone he feels like putting in at the moment. However if your main reason for skipping the game is those gigolo missions don't. They can be skipped entirely and have no bearing on the plot whatsoever. One Girl can give you a weapon (Mondo Girl Mission 1) but you don't even need that to beat the game. I know because I did just that.

With that out of the way my thought's on the rest of the game. The action which is the meat of the game I enjoyed a lot. It's simple to grasp for any skill level of gamer, but a lot of fun to try and master especially as you unlock more moves and abilities. Plus thanks to the difficulties being just right for your skill level means the difficulty you play on is what you're getting. No normal feels like Hard mode here. Which can be a problem sometimes in action games. However I found the second part of the combat to be pretty lackluster which is the Gun Arm. Aiming at enemies always felt odd to me especially since gun enemies are usually lumped with ground enemies. Thus your go to strategy ends up being to just get rid of those first. Since if you don't the damage they can do to you builds up pretty quick. Only a few battles are like this however so it's usually nothing more than a quick annoyance.

The graphics use Unreal Engine 3 and look great since they push for a unique "dark" cel shaded look. However the darker colors such as black and dark blue can be a bit overbearing in some parts. But it was never much of a problem to truly take away from the impressive visuals. Music on the other hand is just kind of there. It does it's job with the only memorable piece coming at the last boss fight. But to be fair the music on the final boss fight is epic and fits the finale of the game perfectly.

Lastly for the story it's typical Suda51 fare but that isn't a bad thing. As I said earlier if you know what to expect from Suda this game hits all of those notes. If you've never played a Suda game before then you're in for a treat here if you can dig some Japanese Wackiness. A scene can go from Dark to Comedic to Action Packed to Surreal so quickly that it's quite the treat for those who enjoy changing up their experiences when gaming. Just make sure to pain attention to the scenes. I had some family barge in during a few and ended up having to go back and watch them since some small details end up being pretty important. But you need to be paying attention to grab them.

So at the base price of 19.99 it's worth a play especially if found on the cheap during a sale. Just make sure to apply the 60FPS patch. You want to play this at it's best form and not at a mess like the console versions I almost suffered through.

lashman

going back a few pages .... I need this game back on steam (preferably with all the expansions) ... I played it ages ago and it's soooooo good

Lionhead, goddammit - get your butts together and bring it back to steam ; _ ;

Welp. Tried to make Gaflandia in the Divinity Engine. Failed.

going back a few pages .... I need this game back on steam (preferably with all the expansions) ... I played it ages ago and it's soooooo good

Lionhead, goddammit - get your butts together and bring it back to steam ; _ ;

No it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom