• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Reading the 'favorite game with the woret metacritic score' thread made me want to play up Alpha Protocol.

I've always wanted to play through it and SteamGAF has always discussed its merits, but it was far and away the most popular answer in the thread.

What is so bad about the M/KB controls?

Well, first off, the mouse sensitivity is very wonky so that it's either not sensitive enough on one side of the sensitivity slider or RIDICULOUSLY fast on anything past the other 50% of the bar. It's really hard to get a bead on enemies because of it. I think part of it is since it's running at 60fps for me the mouse is way more sensitive from the high framerate. Second, the hacking minigame (the one where you match two sequences of numbers and letters) is borked: Instead of just using directional keys and wasd to control both sequences, it's wasd and the mouse, which BARELY works (very bad latency that makes you mess up half your clicks). Lastly, all menu stuff has really strange... hitboxes? Like, if you mouse over something it doesn't activate half the time. Really strange.

Edit: I will try my ps3 controller tomorrow and see if that helps any. It really feels like a game made for consoles and haphazardly ported to pc.

yeah the hacking minigame was fucking hell with k&m lol

I watched a dude play it on pc and he was complaining about it but I just kinda disregarded it as hyperbole. It isn't. It REALLY is that bad.

Lain

More VN's on Steam (Sakura Spirt is a Boob Simulator not VN) the better.

Yeah. Wouldn't surprise me that if they can't get it out on Steam same day, they'll offer Steam keys to people that buy the game from them, like they did for some other games (was it actually Sakura Spirit? I can't remember).

It's nice seeing MangaGamer turning things around a bit. I wonder if they're still in the red.

They managed to get Lilith games, they must be doing better... I hope.

Yakkue

In my unfortunate centipede experience-expertise, the tiny 1mm house centipedes grow up to be those nightmare fuel 5cm hell-spawn; so maybe you saw a baby!

If you think 5cm ones are hell-spawn, you should probably steer clear of east asia. In japan they are poisonous and about 20cm long.
(picture of huge centipede)
----

I finished Trails in the Sky with about 50 hours of playtime. Had so much fun with that game! I didn't see that ending coming at all (well, I guessed one part of it at least).
Can't wait to play the sequels, I hope the success of the Steam release so far is going to bring them over soon.

_hekk05

Banned
Whee

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (_hekk05, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pixel Junk Shooter -- MB-425A7BBC7615138E - Taken by kudoboi. 10 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-E9A69DF4C165B3F1 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.

t1407572393z1.png

More Visual Novel News
An all-ages version of Overdrive’s Chou Dengeki Stryke will be coming to Steam no date yet. Also eden (Both PG and Adult Version) and Supipura are coming out west via Mangagamer, both will be coming to Steam (For Eden PG version obviously).
Source and Source

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like The House in Fata Morgana will get a Steam Release when it's brought over.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/08/mangagamer-publish-house-fata-morgana/

Never heard of it before today, but it's a visual novel, so it's always good to have one more on Steam. I'll look into it at some point.

More Visual Novel News
An all-ages version of Overdrive’s Chou Dengeki Stryke will be coming to Steam no date yet. Also eden (Both PG and Adult Version) and Supipura are coming out west via Mangagamer, both will be coming to Steam (For Eden PG version obviously).
Source and Source

The cool part? If fans support both games enough by buying them, Minori have pledged to release the continuation of Supipura in the West before its Japanese release.

That's strange, but okay.

Otakon's bringing a lot of announcements so far.

Ezalc

So I just finisehd MGR on PS3 the other day. I have to say I really want a sombrero now and that Minuano is an amazing character.

Yakkue

On the topic of visual novels:
I'm not interested in games that focus on romance or dating, which visual novels would you recommend to me?
I've enjoyed Kamaitachi no yoru (which is a murder mystery) and the Silent Hill play novel for the gba, but I don't know any others like that.

kurahador

On the topic of visual novels:
I'm not interested in games that focus on romance or dating, which visual novels would you recommend to me?
I've enjoyed Kamaitachi no yoru (which is a murder mystery) and the Silent Hill play novel for the gba, but I don't know any others like that.

Corpse Party, Saya no Uta, 999, Virtue Last Reward.

I've had these games in my inventory forever (already own Civ IV), figured maybe someone might want them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PsychoSoldier, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Civilization IV -- MB-D671348E246B7E05 - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Garry's Mod -- MB-5EDED69C1CAA2821 - Taken by Link Man
Wonderful End of the World -- MB-130D51F6247A790B - Taken by WinterDemons

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doubt it, the origin hate is dying down and I doubt the amount of people not buying the game due to origin would make it worth losing 100% of the revenue.

The last time EA spoke of Origin's performance, it used the metric of total installs rather than registered accounts (and that's in total, not active accounts, which is the metric Valve uses). That's pretty telling if you ask me.

Copons

I'm sorry, could someone tell me if Metal Gear Rising on Nuveem is actually ok to buy from EU2?
I remember asking if it was fine buying it from a Russian trader and it was a big no-no.

EDIT: I just found out someone on Reddit activated in Italy so yeah, Reddit is SO better than you! :p

Hugstable

Banned
Someone on twitch is trying to beat Super Meat Boy with his feet. http://www.twitch.tv/rockleesmile

Well that's something... I guess lol. That game was hard enough on it's own for me, especially on keyboard... let alone feet.

He's actually doing surprisingly well for just using his feet, color me impressed.

Yeah he really is. I don't know how long I can watch this for, but he has to be pretty damn good at this game normally to be playing with his feet as well as I play this game normally.

Nete

YQGXrsz.jpg

After a couple of weeks without touching the game due a rage quit (FU unexpected extra wave of teleported enemies that obliterates your scattered and exhausted team before you can even react), I decided last night to push on the playthrough once again, finishing the game few hours ago.

The game can be described as a rip-off of the XCOM reboot combat system (Teams of up to four members. Each one can do two actions per turn including movement. Several special skills. Low and high cover. Weapons divided in shotguns, assault rifles and snipers. % to hit... its all there) in a kind of "Doom in space" setting with team/gear management between missions. A pretty interesting premise, but the game has a couple big flaws that prevents it to reach all its potential.

While the combat itself works and flows perfectly, for most part of the game the only variation on the few types of enemies is their colour and toughness (including possible shields), which could feel kinda repetitive. This is solved on the last part of the game with the addition of several extra enemies, but their behavior is very similar to the others so your tactics are mostly the same.

The level design doesn't help much on the enemy/tactics issue, as most of the maps are just corridors (real ones or "created" due a gazillion obstacles in rooms), "directing" your and enemy movement/actions across them, being the use of chokepoints something to abuse even if you don't really plan to, as usually it won't be many alternatives. Actually, the game itself will force you to abuse them, as for most part of the game the concept of "getting harder" is just "more enemies/more waves/higher toughness" if not all three combined. Last part of the game solves this a bit, but again it feels quite late.

That said, I've really enjoyed the game. And I *love* the music. The devs are very active too, not just fixing any bug found but also balancing and adding/changing gameplay features based on the players feedback. I'm looking forward to the future level editor and workshop support.

Dr Dogg

Visual Novel romance is like the pervy Mills & Boone of our times.

The last time EA spoke of Origin's performance, it used the metric of total installs rather than registered accounts (and that's in total, not active accounts, which is the metric Valve uses). That's pretty telling if you ask me.

Well considering only a little under 15% of those total account numbers have bought content on Origin it's pretty safe to say that figure includes accounts based on consoles as well as mobile devices as stated in the article.

We'll see how well The Sims 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition do later this year which could be pretty telling for the future.

Someone on twitch is trying to beat Super Meat Boy with his feet. http://www.twitch.tv/rockleesmile

At times Twitch is more akin to a Freak Show than a streaming service.

Huh I had no idea Halfway was a turn based, tactical game. Cheers for the impressions. One to keep an eye on I guess.

ironmang

I wish they would allow use to change our account login name/email. Have a 6 digit collecting dust since it has a pretty embarrassing login email that my 14 year old self thought was hilarious.

Had to rant that after checking again and seeing they're holding firm on the no account changing policy. :(

wagamer

So I hadn't thought about getting the Humble Bundle Japan since none of the games really interest me (except Ys and maybe Astebreed), but all the $1 tier games have cards also? I'm in!

I'm a sucker for card trading:(

JaseC

I'm sorry, could someone tell me if Metal Gear Rising on Nuveem is actually ok to buy from EU2?
I remember asking if it was fine buying it from a Russian trader and it was a big no-no.

EDIT: I just found out someone on Reddit activated in Italy so yeah, Reddit is SO better than you! :p

Poppycock! I posted a list of the restricted countries twice several hours ago. It's not our fault you didn't search the thread. :p

So I hadn't thought about getting the Humble Bundle Japan since none of the games really interest me (except Ys and maybe Astebreed), but all the $1 tier games have cards also? I'm in!

Gigantic Army isn't that bad. Needs another layer or two of polish on top of it, but it is fun for what it is.

On the other hand, Unholy Heights is a polished game, but it is just a bit limited in scope. You might have fun adjusting sliders to keep the demons happy, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

One way heroics is not good.

Copons

Poppycock! I posted a list of the restricted countries twice several hours ago. It's not our fault you didn't search the thread. :p

I read it, I just needed a reassurance as some weeks ago you and someone else here told me buying it from a Russian trader was basically the same of letting Lost's countdown hit 0!
EDIT: I'm aware Russia and Brazil are not the same country. :D

Also on Reddit I didn't even have to ask! They not only already have the information there, but it was also an Italian dude for max convenience!
Guys you should totally step your game up!

JaseC

I read it, I just needed a reassurance as some weeks ago you and someone else here told me buying it from a Russian trader was basically the same of letting Lost's countdown hit 0!

FYI, ACRTAG only affects Steam gift copies, and further still it only applies to gifts bought by Eastern European, South American and South-east Asian (because of the imminent support for the Thai Baht) users.

Edit: As an aside, two people on Steam messaged overnight inquiring as to why they own Ultra SF4 when they didn't buy it. You really should have handled this differently, Capcom.

Dr Dogg

Also on Reddit I didn't even have to ask! They not only already have the information there, but it was also an Italian dude for max convenience!
Guys you should totally step your game up!

Just to make you even more insecure if you buy games from outside a region not designated as your own, especially Russia and Brazil not only are you breaking the law but The Terrorist's Law! How's that weighing on your continence now eh?

I wonder if there's a shelbyville version of Jasec over at Reddit

They probably have a resident Steam expert Casey Johnson, lovingly knows as CaseJ.

I'm just imagining a webcam trained on a fish tank 24/7.

It's frightening to imagine how many subscribers such a channel would get.

That would probably turn into a strange case of life imitating art, initiating life, imitating art...

Twitch plays PokeMon might seem like a new fangled social experiment but soon it's going to have radicalised off shoots the more or less form cults. I mean some people take horoscope readings seriously (I used to sometimes help out the columnist who wrote them for a company we worked for) so who knows, next up might be Do What Charmander Does!

Tellaerin

Gigantic Army isn't that bad. Needs another layer or two of polish on top of it, but it is fun for what it is.

On the other hand, Unholy Heights is a polished game, but it is just a bit limited in scope. You might have fun adjusting sliders to keep the demons happy, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

One way heroics is not good.

You're right. One Way Heroics is not "good". It's awesome. :p

I agree with you on Gigantic Army, though. Feels (and looks!) like a slightly more arcade-y/stripped-down version of Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator. Definitely a diamond in the rough.

Copons

FYI, ACRTAG only affects Steam gift copies, and further still it only applies to gifts bought by Eastern European, South American and South-east Asian (because of the imminent support for the Thai Baht) users.

!!!

I just now realized ACRTAG means AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting.
Well now your previous posts make sense. :D

AHAHAHAH

Oh well who cares, I'm Italian, we all revel in breaking laws and shit!

Steam is lying to me. It says I have 38 card drops remaining, but I count 33. It says 12 games have drops remaining, but I count 11. Does anyone know what is going on?

Mono

I'm a sucker for card trading:(

One Way Heroics is surprisingly fun! You should try it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom