• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of _hekk05, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (_hekk05, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pixel Junk Shooter -- MB-425A7BBC7615138E - Taken by kudoboi. 10 entrants total.
One Way Heroics -- MB-E9A69DF4C165B3F1 - Taken by darkchewie. 1 entrants total.

t1407572393z1.png

Dr Dogg

Well this thread in just packed to the gills with fish puns and jokes.

AHAHAHAH

Oh well who cares, I'm Italian, we all revel in breaking laws and shit!

Well I do love a good thread with some folks struggling to realise the difference between illegal and unlawful, but due to it being an issue of contract law and how mind bogglingly complicated that is in this country, let alone Italy and even more so the US trying to pin down what in the Steam Subscriber Agreement would be enforceable from one country to next is a bit hard to do without lots of experience or a lot of time on your hands.

Oh yeah rebel against the man Copons!

zkylon

zkylewd
If you think 5cm ones are hell-spawn, you should probably steer clear of east asia. In japan they are poisonous and about 20cm long.
(picture of huge centipede)
----

I finished Trails in the Sky with about 50 hours of playtime. Had so much fun with that game! I didn't see that ending coming at all (well, I guessed one part of it at least).
Can't wait to play the sequels, I hope the success of the Steam release so far is going to bring them over soon.

50 hours huh

i'm at 30 so i guess i still have a long ways to go

gotta say i wish there was more conflict in this game

i mean i don't mind helping my community and shit but you know, evil empire? dark joshua past? something?

Yrael

you could just tuna them out.

That was terrible. I'm sorry.

Oh I don't know, in whiting it still works. Cod only knows I'm not great at these fish puns either, I start off strongly but I end up floundering. Sometimes I have to mullet over a while, but the pun I still come up with is roeful. Perhaps it's not my plaice and I should leave them to salmon else.

Dr Dogg

Ok this thread has officially hit Sturgeon's law.

Uploading a highlight video of sorts from one of the Red Faction matches...

How active, asides from the Games Night peeps, is RF:G these days? Been meaning to grind out the MP achievements for years but really haven't brought myself to do it. I imagine the recent sale might have given things a bit of a boost. Isn't there a minimum amount of players needed to start a match?

Tellaerin

How so? What was I missing?

For me, the combination of roguelike random level generation, limited persistence and growth (you can store a small number of items in your vault and carry them over to the next playthrough, and expand that with earned hero points, or use those points to unlock additional classes and perks), and the constantly encroaching darkness to add tension and create interesting risk vs. reward scenarios (there's a temple with a powerful artifact that'll be useful in the fight against the demon lord - can I get in, grab it and get out before the darkness reaches me? Should I pass it up and take my chances?) makes it really addictive. And each playthrough's long enough to feel satisfying, but short enough that I'll find myself thinking, "Just one more game" and dive back in.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
After a couple of weeks without touching the game due a rage quit (FU unexpected extra wave of teleported enemies that obliterates your scattered and exhausted team before you can even react), I decided last night to push on the playthrough once again, finishing the game few hours ago......

That said, I've really enjoyed the game. And I *love* the music. The devs are very active too, not just fixing any bug found but also balancing and adding/changing gameplay features based on the players feedback. I'm looking forward to the future level editor and workshop support.

Thanks for the impressions!

The music sounds straight out of X-COM, I love it. I really need to pick up this game in the future.

Visual Novel romance is like the pervy Mills & Boone of our times.

Ok this thread has officially hit Sturgeon's law.

Best fish pun yet :p

Just uploaded a bunch of Path to Thalamus screenshots and then deleted them because Steam's compression just killed the beauty of them. Valve, it's 2014. Please allow us to upload higher quality PNG images :(

Also you guys should play it. It's gorgeous and it's a legit puzzle game (and not a 'walking simulator' if that turns anyone off).

yeah it just hit me too. and i thought JaseC was crazy before. it all make sense now.

But he's still crazy you know :p

Yakkue

50 hours huh

i'm at 30 so i guess i still have a long ways to go

gotta say i wish there was more conflict in this game

i mean i don't mind helping my community and shit but you know, evil empire? dark joshua past? something?

There's still 20 hours ahead of you in which those things could happen ;)

Enco

Just uploaded a bunch of Path to Thalamus screenshots and then deleted them because Steam's compression just killed the beauty of them. Valve, it's 2014. Please allow us to upload higher quality PNG images :(

Also you guys should play it. It's gorgeous and it's a legit puzzle game (and not a 'walking simulator' if that turns anyone off).

But he's still crazy you know :p
I tried it but wasn't feeling it.

Some puzzles were cool but I didn't play much. It didn't really grip me and I'm not interested enough in going back.

Holy fucking shit, Velvet Sundown is hilarious!. Whilst simultainously working undercover to expose industrial espionage on an oilrig, and taking pictures of various suspects to catalogue with my employer, I got tazered by an Eddie Izzard lookalike, propositioned for sex by a 12 year old playing as a bartender, exploited a theif who had never played the game before who eventually blurted out his role to all the players on the ship, got offered a doobie by a sauve looking bald black fella in a suit, got high, and listened to a player posing as a fedora wearing, sunglasses wearing prick talk about how the whole Gaza incident is a cover up by Hilary Clinton to draw attention away from her conquest for social justice, and to push femenism into the mainstream. All of this in ONE match.

I can't wait for the voice translation to kick back in so I can hear this shit in Microsoft Sam's sweet dulcet tones.

Anteater

http://a.pomf.se/glubra.webm

been playing killer is dead, game is pretty fun, although the basic moveset seems a bit limiting, the focus on dodge counter or whatever it's called and building up combos is really fun.

the game looks so good at 2880x1620 and it runs fine, the 60fps kinda killed one of the dating missions tho.

saunderez

Just spent a good hour and a half playing Rex Rocket and had a really good time.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288020/

It's a 16 bit style platformer similar to the likes of Megaman. The game takes place on a massive ship with a Metroidvania-like exploration aspect. The art style is charming and the music is typical 16 bit awesomeness. It's brutal but it's pretty fair, I had a bit of trouble against the first boss but once I figured out it's patterns it was pretty simple. Lot's of 1-hit kills from hitting spikes and falling in acid like Megaman but so far frustration has been at a minimum. I don't know how I missed the Kickstarter as it's something that is right up my alley. Unfortunately I only took 1 screenshot during my session so that's what you're gonna get.

Some puzzles were cool but I didn't play much. It didn't really grip me and I'm not interested enough in going back.

I don't like how cheap some of the puzzles are. Invisible platforms? Really? Trial and error finding where platforms are isn't my idea of fun.

Dr Dogg

Well I never expected to have this kind of result but by rolling back to 337.81 Nvidia drivers and disabling SLI via control panel Watch Dogs runs better than it ever has, even with Ultra textures. A steady 60fps isn't happening unless I tune a lot of settings but it's good for in and around 50 with mild stuttering during asset exchange that middles around the mid 40s and that's at 2560x1440. Conversely reducing the resolution to 1920x1080 doesn't gain any advantage either other than an extra couple of frames and still bounces around the 40's whiles textures and meshes are swapping out.

What's really frustrating is that the hideous compressed jpegs the overlay takes are only a third, sometimes a half of the size if an uncompressed png of the same shot. Even more so when Steam gives you the option to take uncompressed shots now. I've swapped them round before but unless you look at the full sized screenshot they still get compressed and artefact effected previews.

In an ideal world Valve you just let you import stuff from an external host (flickr, minus and the such like) like they let you for YouTube vids but outside of possible abuse I can't see why not.

http://a.pomf.se/glubra.webm

been playing killer is dead, game is pretty fun, although the basic moveset seems a bit limiting, the focus on dodge counter or whatever it's called and building up combos is really fun.

the game looks so good at 2880x1620 and it runs fine, the 60fps kinda killed one of the dating missions tho.

If it's the one with the girl in the kimono then yeah that's a bit buggy. You can trying reloading or bouncing around missions before playing it and apparently it will load but I never got it to work. I kept two sets if config files, one at stock settings bar resolution and another tweaked for higher frame rates and just moved them into the right spot as and when necessary. A pain I know but better than a handful of lockups and CTDs.

Shadownet

Banned
When you got surprised at that I kinda had to remind myself that you're new-ish. :lol

I should try and find my first post in SteamGAF.

probably can't. Its like 3 threads ago.
---------------
Its disappointing that after trying Anteater instruction on caching the game banners locally, scrolling through Grid View doesn't really seem to be any smoother.

Valve plz.

Anteater

If it's the one with the girl in the kimono then yeah that's a bit buggy. You can trying reloading or bouncing around missions before playing it and apparently it will load but I never got it to work. I kept two sets if config files, one at stock settings bar resolution and another tweaked for higher frame rates and just moved them into the right spot as and when necessary. A pain I know but better than a handful of lockups and CTDs.

yeah I really should do that, good thing is all the normal missions play fine so far, and game is crazy good looking

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I should try and find my first post in SteamGAF.

probably can't. Its like 3 threads ago.

Search -> Advanced search -> set "Find posts from" to a year ago and older -> set "Sort results by" to ascending order -> set "Show results as" posts -> type in your username and hit enter.

For example, my first post was on the 22nd of January, 2010:
That explains one user I noticed bitching about a Wii title being #1. *sigh*

Is M:OM intended to be another title in the 'core' Metroid franchise or another spin-off a la the Prime sub-series?

Yay, first post!

Edit: Ah, Wikipedia states the game is set between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion.

Yes, I was optimistic about Other M at one point. ;) What a misplacement of faith that turned out to be.

And as a bonus:
Will see for Saoirse Ronan. She's great.

Tizoc

More Visual Novel News
An all-ages version of Overdrive’s Chou Dengeki Stryke will be coming to Steam no date yet. Also eden (Both PG and Adult Version) and Supipura are coming out west via Mangagamer, both will be coming to Steam (For Eden PG version obviously).
Source and Source

If I buy the uncensored ver. would I get a key for the Steam ver. too?

Dr Dogg

yeah I really should do that, good thing is all the normal missions play fine so far, and game is crazy good looking

It's amazing what a vibrant dash of colour can do ;)

Search -> Advanced search -> set "Find posts from" to a year ago and older -> set "Sort results by" to ascending order -> set "Show results as" posts -> type in your username and hit enter.

For example, my first post was on the 22nd of January, 2010:

Yes, I was optimistic about Other M at one point. ;) What a misplacement of faith that turned out to be.

And as a bonus:

I know one of my first posts on GAF was in the Winter 2011 sales thread and I really can't be too arsed to go find it but one of my first posts in the main Steam thread was surprise, surprise about Assassin's Creed. What can I say, I'm a creature of habit (or the Uplay shill but hey)!

Woo, have my first card from iDLEM@STER! :D

Will be a long session, 61 games to idle =/

I had around 180 games to idle at first and now I'm down to 38. And that's be 8 solids days of Idle Mastering! Wallet funds are looking pretty sweet though so been worth the hassle.

zkylon

zkylewd
zky from the past said:
Haven't played Risen, but you can't go wrong with Bloodlines.

fighting the good fight since 2011

also capitalization

gross

ed: i dunno if i'm impressed or scared that saoirse already knew how to do this. who knows how many ppl she's been spying on

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Steam keys for Wyv and Keep: The Temple of the Lost Idol are up in the Desura client, nothing on the collection or Alpha Bundle page yet

I had around 180 games to idle at first and now I'm down to 38. And that's be 8 solids days of Idle Mastering! Wallet funds are looking pretty sweet though so been worth the hassle.
The only frustrating part is looking at your Steam inventory after a long day of idling and finding out you still haven't gotten a foil.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
BinaryPork2737 said:
Would anyone recommend 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat? I'm kinda thinking about getting it.

It's weird knowing that my first post in the Steam threads was irrelevant since no one in these threads actually plays the videogames they buy :p

At least Wok told me there was a demo :D

The only frustrating part is looking at your Steam inventory after a long day of idling and finding out you still haven't gotten a foil.

I don't know, I think looking at the prices of each card would be frustrating, especially since some of them sell for below $.10.

Vuze

For some reason, more and more games refuse to take screenshots via the Steam hotkey for me... :/

Is there some batch tool to put screenshots into the corresponding Steam folder with correct naming + thumbnails so you can share them easily in your feed? Doing it manually is kinda annoying :<

E: Wait, it actually takes the screenshots but puts them in <screenshot folder>/<gamename>/ as compressed jpgs and doesn't show them in the client? dafuq

How far in did you get? The game really gets going after you discover a few of the elements you can manipulate and the puzzles start involving them all. And the beautiful, surreal artwork helps in keeping it engaging too.

In an ideal world Valve you just let you import stuff from an external host (flickr, minus and the such like) like they let you for YouTube vids but outside of possible abuse I can't see why not.

The potential for abuse is too high for them to ever allow that.

saunderez

I've still got 200 to go, this is taking FOREVER. Ah well, free games are the best games so it'll be worth it in the end.

It's even more frustrating when you finally get a foil and its for some shitty game and you can't even sell it for 20c.

Sendou

Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon became my 8th perfect game.

Wasn't a huge fan of this achievement selection. The game essentially forces you to replay it in a dull manner (walk everywhere). Other hard achievements basically require you to look at guide unless clicking random pixels throughout the game is your thing. Probably outright the hardest achievement involves a certain minigame I wasn't a fan off. Overall pretty easy selection if you use guide. This will probably be a temporary perfect game because devs are planning both free and paid DLC but I'll probably get around to them too.

Here are my full impressions of the game.

Lain

I was checking some Desura keys from various bundles I bought on Indiegala and noticed that some of the Steam gift links showed up as not redeemed. I don't remember if I did give them away, the bundles are between 1 and 2 months old, maybe I did maybe I didn't.
Since I'm not sure no modbot.

Mr Bree+: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=031973f0f38811e3b5cf0f7fd38a1a11
Cognition Episode 1: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=04959c40f38811e3b61cd5999864ac04
Sequence: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=0f5a0f40112d11e49d61b95d1f381d5b
Ichi: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=d96b791c0ba711e48897ad3e3fb1cc07
Bardbarian: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=ed2be39c05f811e4a963a9adea44d80f
Toki Tori 2: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=ebd858f305f811e4bfe52d62a5878175

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom