• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been MIA for a couple of days. Is the Japanese Humble Bundle worth it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you don't have those games, yes. The games range from nice to pretty good.

$6 tier, too? I might not get around to playing all these games. Actually, I definitely won't. But if there's a gem in there, I'm happy to make time for it.

For me, the combination of roguelike random level generation, limited persistence and growth (you can store a small number of items in your vault and carry them over to the next playthrough, and expand that with earned hero points, or use those points to unlock additional classes and perks), and the constantly encroaching darkness to add tension and create interesting risk vs. reward scenarios (there's a temple with a powerful artifact that'll be useful in the fight against the demon lord - can I get in, grab it and get out before the darkness reaches me? Should I pass it up and take my chances?) makes it really addictive. And each playthrough's long enough to feel satisfying, but short enough that I'll find myself thinking, "Just one more game" and dive back in.

Nice write up, sounds a lot more fun than what I played!

But thanks, it sounds like I should give it another (proper) chance.

Bboy AJ

$1 and $6 tiers are for sure. $10 too even if I have no experience with Astebreed myself.

Ys is just dope series.

Watching the GB Quick Look on Astebreed. It looks pretty cool, actually.

Wok

Steam keys for Wyv and Keep: The Temple of the Lost Idol are up in the Desura client, nothing on the collection or Alpha Bundle page yet

Great! Thanks!

Edit:

RZ2qEjS.png

703GXz0.png

Just wrapped up Mind: Path to Thalamus. As much as I enjoyed the artwork and the puzzles, I have to say that the narrator/storytelling kind of drags the experience down. It's in the vein of Dear Esther with it's pseudo philosophical psychobabble that I could tolerate in the beginning but it grates on you the further along you get. And it culminates in a boss fight at the very end where the boss continuously taunts you with fourth wall breaking nonsense. It's not a huge deal but for me the game ended on a low because of it.

A quick glance at the Steam forums shows that there are others who didn't like the narration either. Some have even called for an option to mute the narrator but obviously the creator of the game won't want people to be able to completely ignore his entire story, so that's not happening. Still, I can see where those requests are coming from.

Lain

$6 tier, too? I might not get around to playing all these games. Actually, I definitely won't. But if there's a gem in there, I'm happy to make time for it.

Of the ones I played, I consider Ys Origin and One Way Heroics gems if you like action rpgs or roguelikes with a twist.
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae is nice but not for everyone, Unholy Heights is nice too with the mix between defending your place and building up and improving the rooms to acomodate new tenants or keeping the old ones happy.
I haven't played Astebreed, but from watching videos and what other posted, it seems to be a great game. Same goes for GIGANTIC ARMY and PixelJunk Shooter, haven't played them yet but I've read some good opinions about them.

Enco

Just wrapped up Mind: Path to Thalamus. As much as I enjoyed the artwork and the puzzles, I have to say that the narrator/storytelling kind of drags the experience down. It's in the vein of Dear Esther with it's pseudo philosophical psychobabble that I could tolerate in the beginning but it grates on you the further along you get. And it culminates in a boss fight at the very end where the boss continuously taunts you with fourth wall breaking nonsense. It's not a huge deal but for me the game ended on a low because of it.

A quick glance at the Steam forums shows that there are others who didn't like the narration either. Some have even called for an option to mute the narrator but obviously the creator of the game won't want people to be able to completely ignore his entire story, so that's not happening. Still, I can see where those requests are coming from.
Yea I think I'll give it a miss. Not got enough time to share between this and better games.

Vuze

Hm, can't really understand why some feel their experience dragged down by this. Then again, I don't care too much about what's being spoken in a game, didn't mind the Aperture Tag voice at all which hundreds of peeople were going mad about ha

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished Seperate Ways, fnally done with RE4. I liked it, kinda wish they had somehow made it part of the main campaign, but then again, I dont see how that would work.

Bboy AJ

Of the ones I played, I consider Ys Origin and One Way Heroics gems if you like action rpgs or roguelikes with a twist.
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae is nice but not for everyone, Unholy Heights is nice too with the mix between defending your place and building up and improving the rooms to acomodate new tenants or keeping the old ones happy.
I haven't played Astebreed, but from watching videos and what other posted, it seems to be a great game. Same goes for GIGANTIC ARMY and PixelJunk Shooter, haven't played them yet but I've read some good opinions about them.

Fantastic, thanks. I think I'll pony up the $10.

Hm, can't really understand why some feel their experience dragged down by this. Then again, I don't care too much about what's being spoken in a game, didn't mind the Aperture Tag voice at all which hundreds of peeople were going mad about ha

Well if you're paying attention then it's gibberish, and if you're not then it's just noise. Surely you can see why that would rub some folks the wrong way? :p

It's not a bad game and I still enjoyed it thoroughly but I didn't particularly like this one aspect of it, that's all.

saunderez

In the case of Mind: Path to Thalamus there's not a whole lot to the actual gameplay, so the story should be king. Except it's not, the weight of the game is placed pretty much solely on the vistas. Some games can get away with lackluster story because the gameplay is superb, but this isn't one of those games.

finished Seperate Ways, fnally done with RE4. I liked it, kinda wish they had somehow made it part of the main campaign, but then again, I dont see how that would work.
I think integrating it with the campaign would have screwed up the nice pacing that RE4 already had, but yeah it would have been neat to see them try it.

I like the new avatar, by the way. I wonder if Jawmuncher is gonna use the profile background from that stage? :p Edit: I see he already is!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The VA is my one major complaint with the game. It is very amateurish sounding, certainly far from natural. The psudo psychobabble of the writing wasn't so bad as the way every single line was delivered. There were times where I took my headphones off because I didn't want to hear this stale narration drone on any further.

I'm not one to really be ultra picky about those kinds of things, but it got on my nerves. Really can't wait for the Spanish VA option so I can pretend it sounds good like many sub-only freaks do
FUCK W/ME

In the case of Mind: Path to Thalamus there's not a whole lot to the actual gameplay, so the story should be king. Except it's not, the weight of the game is placed pretty much solely on the vistas. Some games can get away with lackluster story because the gameplay is superb, but this isn't one of those games.

I'd dispute that. Puzzle solving is the core component of the game. As I mentioned earlier, it's a puzzle game first and foremost and not so much a 'walking simulator'.

The VA is my one major complaint with the game. It is very amateurish sounding, certainly far from natural. The psudo psychobabble of the writing wasn't so bad as the way every single line was delivered. There were times where I took my headphones off because I didn't want to hear this stale narration drone on any further.

I'm not one to really be ultra picky about those kinds of things, but it got on my nerves. Really can't wait for the Spanish VA option so I can pretend it sounds good like many sub-only freaks do
FUCK W/ME

Yea, I guess the dry VA also contributed to me not liking the narration very much.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm on the main store page and there's this Firefall banner and I'm looking at it and thinking WTF...
capsule_616x353.jpg

Is it me or did they forget to draw a gun in his hand?

Kiru

So I'm on the main store page and there's this Firefall banner and I'm looking at it and thinking WTF...
capsule_616x353.jpg

I know why you wrote this, lol, but there is a gun in his hand, look closely.

MadGear

capsule_616x353.jpg

Well, i clearly see a gun in his hand. The armor looks really similar though, so it blends a bit.

Does anyone actually like this game? So far i don't hear or read anything good about it.

My friend and I just finished playing Jamestown for 6 straight hours. 11pm-5am. It's a damn good game, but a little too addictive.

I'm sure a lot of you may have picked it up in a bundle. If you haven't played it, you really should.

Enco

MGR is officially demoted from being a runner for GOTY.

1. The camera is really terrible. Pretty vital in a game like this
2. Boss fights are frustrating and lol at
them repeating. The fact that you have to beat more than one without a checkpoint is ridiculous
3. Button mashing gives you cool combos but there's too much of it and my poor keyboard hands can't handle it

I'm done with it for now. Maybe I'll try come back to it later but point 2 was the breaking point for me.

Copons

Oh you MGR:R detractors.
Where the hell were you, like, during the dozens of months before I bought it today?

EDIT: also I fucking can't wait until vacations are over to finally get back to my gaming rig and my > 40Kbps
< 500 Kbps
internet to get my sweaty hands on MGRR! :Q_

Enco

Oh you MGR:R detractors.
Where the hell were you, like, during the dozens of months before I bought it today?
It's still a pretty cool game and plenty of people love it.

It's just getting too annoying 6 hours in. Haven't had fun in any boss fights and the longer I play the more mind blowing the camera is. Why would they think it's ok?

People will disagree with me and just say it's a hard game probably.

Evrain

I was checking some Desura keys from various bundles I bought on Indiegala and noticed that some of the Steam gift links showed up as not redeemed. I don't remember if I did give them away, the bundles are between 1 and 2 months old, maybe I did maybe I didn't.
Since I'm not sure no modbot.

Mr Bree+: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=031973f0f38811e3b5cf0f7fd38a1a11
Cognition Episode 1: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=04959c40f38811e3b61cd5999864ac04
Sequence: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=0f5a0f40112d11e49d61b95d1f381d5b
Ichi: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=d96b791c0ba711e48897ad3e3fb1cc07
Bardbarian: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=ed2be39c05f811e4a963a9adea44d80f
Toki Tori 2: http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=ebd858f305f811e4bfe52d62a5878175
Grabbed Sequence, thanks a bunch!
On a more serious note, isthere a thread here on Gaf discussing broken notebooks? Mine just suffered some rather serious damage thanks to Spec Ops and cheap plastic, and am in a state defined as utter desperation

_hekk05

Banned
Wut? Only 1 entrant for one way heroics but 10 for pixeljunk, a game that's been bundled to death?

Also how's c86 milamber? PM me your haul pls

Copons

It's still a pretty cool game and plenty of people love it.

It's just getting too annoying 6 hours in. Haven't had fun in any boss fights and the longer I play the more mind blowing the camera is. Why would they think it's ok?

People will disagree with me and just say it's a hard game probably.

I was kinda joking (I've also edited the post as maybe it came out a little harsh?), mostly because MGRR has been like the main GOTY candidate for like everybody, and yours was like the first negative opinion about it and the fact that it happened just after I finally bought it, it made me laugh. :)

Enco

I was kinda joking (I've also edited the post as maybe it came out a little harsh?), mostly because MGRR has been like the main GOTY candidate for like everybody, and yours was like the first negative opinion about it and the fact that it happened just after I finally bought it, it made me laugh. :)
:lol I didn't see your comment as harsh or anything.

If anything I might be being harsh on the game. I'm not usually a big fan of games like that so I'm impressed it held me that long to be honest.

edit: I don't think I'm being harsh actually. It's good but has some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom