• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

saunderez

I'd dispute that. Puzzle solving is the core component of the game. As I mentioned earlier, it's a puzzle game first and foremost and not so much a 'walking simulator'.

You're right, it absolutely is a puzzle game first and foremost. I just don't find the puzzles particularly good. It falls flat there for me, and the other elements of the game aren't really strong enough to lift it back up. Don't get me wrong, I love the explorative narrative genre (that's what I like to call "walking simulators") but this one turned to be a bit disappointing to me.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I was kinda joking (I've also edited the post as maybe it came out a little harsh?), mostly because MGRR has been like the main GOTY candidate for like everybody, and yours was like the first negative opinion about it and the fact that it happened just after I finally bought it, it made me laugh. :)

Great game. But not even close to GOTY.

Sendou

Man Invisible, Inc. sounds good. It's by Klei (you would know them for Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve) Here's an interview RPS did just recently.

RPS: How are you handling mission objectives? Does the system make decisions about what kind of mission to pair with a generated level?

Cheng: That’s right. So there’s two different kinds of places that we have. Let me talk about the overall structure of the game first.

The structure is that there is an end mission in 72 hours. Your job is to prepare for that final mission. There are all these different places that you can go to, and you choose to go there for the purpose of preparing. There’s a lot of places that you go to that don’t have an explicit objective; it’s loot the place and get out, that’s really what it is.

In those places we build interesting locations, and they have something special in them. So for example one might be a corporate server farm, and with that you can raid their program database and install a program onto your system. You could call that your objective, but at the same time it’s, what are you comfortable with? Because if their security is too hot, you might want to just leave before you get the programs. That’s OK, that’s totally fine within the realm of you trying to prepare for your final mission.

On top of that, we have explicit missions. So for our early access, we’re only shipping with one, because the other one’s we’re still polishing. And there will be a final mission, but it’s a temporary final mission that we have right now. That’s a hostage mission, so you’ve got to get the hostage and you’ve got to get them out.

For that one, it’s still procedurally generated, it’s just that during the proc-gen stage we have parameters and we say that the hostage room has to be a certain distance away from you, which has to be a certain distance away from your final exit. That’s the constraints we have put in to the generation when we’re building missions.

Something about it just appeals to me. Coming to Steam Early Access on August 19th. Not the game that will make me break my promise to myself not to buy beta games anymore but still I'll probably be there once it launches.

Grief.exe

I think integrating it with the campaign would have screwed up the nice pacing that RE4 already had, but yeah it would have been neat to see them try it.

I like the new avatar, by the way. I wonder if Jawmuncher is gonna use the profile background from that stage? :p Edit: I see he already is!

He said he is as its the closest he could find to a dinocrisis skin!

It's interesting to me that art direction and music and really make a game at times.

Huh, so metal gear rising feels mushy and slow when running in full screen but plays like butter in windowed mode. This is the first game where I've actually noticed that windowed mode has a noticeable affect on a games performance. Now, I gotta figure out how to get it in full screen border less windowed mode for maximum enjoyment.

Grief.exe

Something about it just appeals to me. Coming to Steam Early Access on August 19th. Not the game that will make me break my promise to myself not to buy beta games anymore but still I'll probably be there once it launches.

Invisible Inc is technically already available on Steam. You used to be able to purchase two copies on their site for $15.

At first glance, it seems like they took down that option in favor of an Early Access release, but I already have my copy.

NTs2nnl.png

I don't get why people keep buying uPlay titles on Steam. When a game is infested with that crap, you might as well just buy a uPlay code for it.

Cizard

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Cizard, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Memories of a vagabond -- MB-CAE7CBE1CF56F782 - Taken by firehawk12. 4 entrants total.

t1407590874z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you dont need to close uplay to play the games...

Shadownet

Banned
Search -> Advanced search -> set "Find posts from" to a year ago and older -> set "Sort results by" to ascending order -> set "Show results as" posts -> type in your username and hit enter.

For example, my first post was on the 22nd of January, 2010:

Such language coming from you JaseC :p

But yeah I'll try it out :) we were all so young then lol

Turfster

I don't get why people keep buying uPlay titles on Steam. When a game is infested with that crap, you might as well just buy a uPlay code for it.

Because the Steam updater actually keeps the game updated, without having gigs and gigs of broken half-updates on your system thanks to the shitty uplay one?

Dr Dogg

Mainly because in all my time using Steam have I never had to deal with the nightmare that is this.

Once you close that window down Blacklist deletes its update and redownloads it again. And guess what the same thing happens again and again and again. The only way to patch the Uplay version is to do it manually.

I uninstalled it rebought the game on Steam and had no issues what so ever so it's not like it's the way the game is structured or anything just Uplays bonkers content delivery and patching system that is a fractured mess. More recent titles like Black Flag and Child of Light have been better but once bitten, twice shy so unless it's a cheap game or key it's Steam all the way for me.

Classic JaseC: "My Steam account has grown to 111 games"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19540773&postcount=87

Hahaha I don't know what to believe. That Jase was once a mere mortal with a pitiful library or that you dug that up in the short time since his initial post? Either way there is sorcery at work here.

epmode

Buying a Uplay title on Steam still adds the game to your Uplay account and you can launch it just fine without Steam. There's no reason to not use Steam, honestly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up Mind: Path to Thalamus. As much as I enjoyed the artwork and the puzzles, I have to say that the narrator/storytelling kind of drags the experience down. It's in the vein of Dear Esther with it's pseudo philosophical psychobabble that I could tolerate in the beginning but it grates on you the further along you get. And it culminates in a boss fight at the very end where the boss continuously taunts you with fourth wall breaking nonsense. It's not a huge deal but for me the game ended on a low because of it.

A quick glance at the Steam forums shows that there are others who didn't like the narration either. Some have even called for an option to mute the narrator but obviously the creator of the game won't want people to be able to completely ignore his entire story, so that's not happening. Still, I can see where those requests are coming from.

Yeah, the narration ruined the ending (though I didn't think those final "boss" puzzles were good either) and it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Kinda OT but figured I'd ask here since the Origin thread is dead

Is it safe to buy stuff from their store using a VPN? Think I heard that unlike Valve they won't ban you

Mainly because in all my time using Steam have I never had to deal with the nightmare that is this.

Because the Steam updater actually keeps the game updated, without having gigs and gigs of broken half-updates on your system thanks to the shitty uplay one?

Fair enough.

The objection I still have after that is in my answer to the post below.

Buying a Uplay title on Steam still adds the game to your Uplay account and you can launch it just fine without Steam. There's no reason to not use Steam, honestly.

My reason is that I just can't accept two clients and two set of credentials for one singleplayer game. Which is what you get if you still want to launch your Steam bought game from Steam. To have a client open another client for your customer is just where I draw the line, and until Ubisoft gets their heads out of their asses and make the uPlay stuff an optional sign for their games sold through Steam, I wont buy their games their.

Two layers of DRM is still a no go for me.

But as have been pointed out, there are advantages to buying the game on Steam. It just says a lot that the advantages are based on uPlay being worse then Steam.

Have fun!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ingueferroque, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

3 Stars of Destiny -- MB-223BEA926292E96D - Taken by Htown. 3 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-16A9728F9BE15402
One way Heroics -- MB-815236EF90870EE4 - Taken by fernandes. 1 entrants total.
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-993FD8602935DABB - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.
Pxeljunk Shooter -- MB-014E200278021384 - Taken by Majukun. 5 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-DA409886D3A8CFDF

t1407603654z1.png

Knurek

Haha, love that JaseC post.

So, MangaGamer is embracing Steam, they've announced all-ages version of three of their new titles to hit Steam. Great, one step closer to that pr0n sale picture.

Meanwhile at JAST USA:
fast%20slowpokes.jpg

Come now, Steins;Gate would sell 100 times as well as it does in your pitiful webshop

Dr Dogg

Is it safe to buy stuff from their store using a VPN? Think I heard that unlike Valve they won't ban you

I never have but there are quite a lot of folks here who have used the VPN trick to get stuff from the Mexican and Indian stores at lower cost and I haven't seen any horror stories. Not to say that isn't the case but if you have a soot around for the Watch_Dogs for $12 thread and super cheap Titanfall one you find a whole host of people with first hand experience who might be able to help. I'm sure a fair few of them post in here too.

So, MangaGamer is embracing Steam, they've announced all-ages version of three of their new titles to hit Steam. Great, one step closer to that pr0n sale picture.

Meanwhile at JAST USA:
Come now, Steins;Gate would sell 100 times as well as it does in your pitiful webshop

So on my Googling to try and have a clue what you're talking about (hahaha I'm waaaaay out of the loop) I stumble across this.

http://vndb.org/

There's a database for visual novels? Oh internet, you kookie so and so.

Enco

My first Steam post was on 03-06-2011.

Love Steam.

I try to only buy games that support steam. It's brilliant in every way. As well as nice organisation and ease of access, it also gives you awesome features such as text chat which some games miss out on (e.g. Dead Rising 2).

My opinion has kinda gone down but I still think Steam is great.

RS4-

I think I remember someone or a few people mentioning that you get "locked out" of your local online store or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Metal gear is good but so flawed. The camera is poor and the controls, specifically blocking, stink. The game did little to explain things to you, like how to replenish health. Took forever to figure out blocking on the wolf fight. Yes, I did the tutorial.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I never have but there are quite a lot of folks here who have used the VPN trick to get stuff from the Mexican and Indian stores at lower cost and I haven't seen any horror stories. Not to say that isn't the case but if you have a soot around for the Watch_Dogs for $12 thread and super cheap Titanfall one you find a whole host of people with first hand experience who might be able to help. I'm sure a fair few of them post in here too.

Taking a look at that thread now, thanks for the heads up

pahamrick

Taking a look at that thread now, thanks for the heads up

I think all you need is the Hola Better Internet addon for Chrome. It'll let you buy from origin.com in different regions, it's how a few people took advantage of cheaper prices for some games on Origin.

Dr Dogg

You didn't know?!

No and by looking at the stats on that site I'm a little worried what might become of the Coming Soon page on Steam.

Visual Novels: 15249
Releases: 34324
Producers: 4321
Characters: 20482
VN Tags: 1808
Character traits: 1412
Users: 68877
Threads: 5044

Fifteen Thousand Visual Novels!?!?! True they're not all on PC but with the momentum growing now a sea-change of anime is coming.

Edit: Hahaha you can also search by specific tags and traits as well to find the perfect novel for your titillation. A fan of facial hair? No problem as there are 234 visual novel with main characters with beards! I better stop browsing this in case the other half thinks I've gone a bit weird(er).

dani_dc

*reads MangaGamer blog*

Meet the Imoutos #2: Rio said:
Rio is very concerned about keeping up appearances. She’s very proper and sensible. But a tad sheltered. So if you tell her that back-of-the-knee jobs…

*picture removed*

or hair jobs…

*picture removed*

or armpit jobs are totally normal things that normal siblings do over the course of a normal day, she’ll believe you. Probably. She won’t put on a red and white shrine maiden costume for said armpit job, but hey, a man can dream.

If all new MangaGamer games ends on Steam we're well on our way to hentaisteam picture.

How much was it was wondering about that yesterday.
Around 40 bucks.
Could you use Paypal in the Mexican store? Seems that the Indian store doesn't allow that option
You need a VPN to add the game to the cart, when it asks you to log in, disconnect your VPN and log in. You'll then be returned to your store with the game sitting in the cart (with cheaper price).

And yes, I used paypal.

Just a little something for the weekend.
sbaEh26.jpg

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Omegalodon #3 -- MB-E596122AA05C1A34 - Taken by Perun. 3 entrants total.
Omegalodon #2 -- MB-B866D7488FC08902 - Taken by Benedict. 6 entrants total.
Omegalodon -- MB-7432A12BD78D270C - Taken by maty. 7 entrants total.

t1407605335z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom